Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 06:30:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POST POSITION DRAW QUOTES  (Read 1212 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 26, 2005, 11:20:43 PM »

Wednesday, October 26, 2005                Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

POST POSITION DRAW QUOTES

CLASSIC

Luca Cumani (trainer, Starcraft, Post 14) “We got the ‘visitors’ draw.  He’ll just have to run a bit faster now. We’re giving a lot of ground away and ground given away is ground lost. It was going to be hard but 14 makes it even harder.”

Beau Greely (trainer, Borrego, Post 11) – “It’s good. The post is fine. There’s nothing you can do about the draw anyway. You have to see what happens.

“For where we’re breaking from, I don’t think it’s a big thing. It’s not like we’re going to be going to the front. We can tuck in anyhow.”

Paul McGee (trainer, Suave, Post 8) –“I am very happy with it; eight is my lucky number. It was down to the eight and the 14, and I certainly didn’t want the 14.”

Jeff Mullins (trainer, Choctaw Nation, Post 3; Wild Fit, Juvenile Fillies, Post 10): “I’m happy with both posts. In the Classic, where they start on the turn, you don’t want to be too far out, so 3 is just right. Any way he can save ground is better for us. Wild Fit’s post is perfect. She’s out in the clear; she can do whatever she wants. I don’t know much about the pace yet, but we’d like to be laying back there, quite a bit off the pace.”

Catherine Day Phillips (trainer, A Bit O’Gold, Post 12) – “I think we are all right there. He is a very rideable horse in that he doesn’t have to be in front or far back. The rider can put him where he wants.”

TURF

Allan Cooper (Niarchos racing manager, Bago, Post 3,)…Jonathan (Pease, trainer) was happy with the draw. It was a good one.”

Graham Motion (Better Talk Now, post position 4; Shake the Bank, post position 1; Film Maker, Filly & Mare Turf, post position 2; Funfair, Mile, post position 6) – “I got great post positions all around. I couldn’t be happier with Shake the Bank’s post. Both of my horses in the Turf are in great spots.”

On defending Turf champion Better Talk Now being 8-1 in the morning line:

“I kind of expected it. (Defending Mile champion) Singletary is also 8-1. I thought he’d be fourth or fifth choice. At the end of the day, it really doesn’t matter. I just hope he performs like we expect him to.”

Bill Mott (Shakespeare, Turf, post position 7;  Gun Salute, Turf, post position 13; Wend, Filly & Mare Turf, post position 5; Sand Springs, Mile, post position 4;  Sweet Symphony, Distaff, post position 12) –  “All of my horses drew good posts except Gun Salute, he’s going to have to break from the far outside, which could make it tough on him. Sweet Symphony has an outside post, but that shouldn’t be much of a factor in a one-turn mile-and-an-eighth.

On undefeated Shakespeare being installed as the 3-1 morning-line favorite for the Turf:

“Well, he hasn’t done anything wrong, yet.”

John Oxx (trainer, Azamour, Post 5) “I’ll talk to Mick (Kinane, jockey) about it, but I’m sure he’ll be happy. I’m happy. It’s not a big thing.”

DISTAFF

Marcelo Polanco (trainer, Island Fashion, Post 8): “Good draw; right in the middle. We don’t have to wait on much of the pace. We’re very happy with that. It’s a great position to be in to see what everybody is going to try to do. She likes to be close to the lead, but she also can come up from behind.”

Todd Pletcher (trainer, Ashado, Post 3) – “No problems. They’re all good posts”

John Sadler (trainer, Healthy Addiction, Post 6): “I love the draw. We’re right in the middle. She likes to lay up close. We just didn’t want the one (post position 1).”

Richard Violette (trainer, Yolanda B. Too , Post 5) – “I am thrilled. It is a good spot to be. I didn’t want to be in the outside two or three and have to do more early. From the five, you can break and get a feel for the race.”

MILE

Don Chatlos Jr. (trainer, Singletary, Post 9)—“I’m glad. Somewhere between 6 and 10 was all I wanted. Nine is perfect. Anywhere where (jockey David) Flores has options. I didn’t want him walking out of the jocks’ room with the rail or the far outside with only one idea in mind. This way he can just break and ride his race. Flores always rides him well. I don’t expect anything different Saturday,” (Singletary broke from post 10 when winning the Mile last year at Lone Star Park).

Robert Frankel (trainer, Leroidesanimaux, Post 11) – “I can’t say I’m too happy with it. They start this race on a turn, so being outside isn’t good. He’s got plenty of speed, but you don’t want to have to use too much of it to get position. Still, what are you going to do?”

JUVENILE

Frank Brothers (trainer, First Samurai, Post 9) – “That’s fine. I think we will be all right. With the one-turn, mile and a sixteenth, it should be no problem.”

Dan Hendricks (trainer, Brother Derek, Post 13) – “I think it (the post) can work out fine. It looks to me like all the speed is right next to us. It looks like the race is from the 9 hole out. My horse has enough speed that he can get a stalking position behind the speed, which is right where he wants to be. It could work out great.”

Doug O’Neill – (trainer, Jealous Profit, Stevie Wonderboy, Posts 5 and 12, respectively)—“I’m happy with both posts. Neither will have to stand in the gate very long and will have a long straightaway to weed everything out.”

JUVENILE FILLIES

Stan Hough (trainer, Sensation, Post 7) – “That post is perfect for her. She’s right in the middle. There’s plenty of speed in there and she should be able to settle behind it. Even though she’s sprinted, in one of her races we purposely took her back, so we know she can relax and make her run in there.”

D. Wayne Lukas (trainer, Folklore, Post 1 and Ex Caelis, Post 9) – “It’s not one I would choose (with Folklore), but the mile and a sixteenth and the long backstretch, I’m not too concerned about it.”

SPRINT

Greg Gilchrist (trainer, Lost in the Fog, Post 7) – “I’m fine with the post position.  If I had to rule one out, I wouldn’t want to be the 11.  On the far outside, he’d really have to use himself.

“The configuration of Belmont, the start of the three-quarters has a short run to the turn.  So I would have been happy with anything but the outside.”

Regarding being even-money and the shortest price on the card: “Well, he has the amazing respect of at least one man (the morning line-maker).  I knew coming in he’d be a short price.  I suppose he’s deserving of it.  Every race is something new.”

Gary Mandella (trainer, Taste of Paradise, Post 1)—“The rail is not my favorite place to be but against a horse that is 10-for-10 it may not be a bad idea to save some ground. We’ll just have to see what the speed outside us does at the break to determine our early position.”

Richard Schosberg (trainer, Attila’s Storm, Post 2) – “Yeah, it is better than the one.  The one (Taste of Paradise) has absolutely no speed, we checked, so it’s actually like we drew the rail.  So we better break well and get running, then set the first quarter at 23 and four (joking).

“We’re just happy to be in the field.”

Wesley Ward (trainer, Lifestyle, Post 9): “I think we’re perfect. All the tough horses are inside of us. We have a lot of early speed, so we could wind up on the lead. We’re very excited about where we are.”

Kristin Mulhall (trainer, Imperialism, Post 10) – “I’m fine with his post. It really doesn’t matter with him. He’s going to drop out of it no matter what, then come running late.”

FILLY & MARE TURF

Pat Kelly (trainer, Riskaverse, Post 4) – “It’s fine. It’s good. We’re No. 4 and that’s great. It’s not a problem because there’s a long run into the first turn. It was more crucial last year in Texas where you broke right into the turn [Riskaverse had the No. 9, never got closer than fourth and finished eighth]. It’s great to be inside.”

Robert Frankel (trainer, Intercontinental, Post 10 & Megahertz, Post 8) – “They’re (the posts) OK with me. I just didn’t want to be too far in, or too far out with them. Megahertz – it doesn’t matter the way she runs. The other horse (Intercontinental), I am concerned with who is next to her. I want her to break sharp and be near the lead. The fact that I’ve got Europeans on either side of me might work out well.”

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: