Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 17, 2014, 06:41:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A recommendation for AP's 4 day racing weeks  (Read 3954 times)
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 04:07:14 PM »

I been to there but didn't know i was in AH. I was knocked out.
Report to moderator   Logged

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 04:22:29 PM »

Why not shut your mouth and stick to horseracing.

There are better ways of saying this, not a very nice reply.  Even though it was sort of an OT discussion, it was interesting.  I just hope they keep the homeless at Arlington Heights, otherwise they might stay on the train and wind up here in Crystal Lake.
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006, 04:31:27 PM »

In there infinite wisdom, the Union Pacific put up a 5' high fence along Norhtwest Highway so you can't just walk directly over to BK or Mickey D's.  The poor commuters who get dropped off have to walk all the way around now.  Probably a safety issue, I have seen more than 1 near accident while Mommy is kissing Daddy off for a good day in the Loop earning his daily bread.

We used to call the homeless hobos, (spelling?), now they take up valuable space in my tax dollar paid for library, stinking to high heaven, washing from head to toe in a non-bath or shower restroom, and cussing and leering at our female folk.  What have we come to?

That fence is climbable, especially where the gate. I just assumed it was to keep out dogs or other animals.

Hobos? I've never seen a hobo near AP. Ha.

If they had a 3 day weekend racing schedule, it MIGHT turn into something like Hong Kong's Sha Tin! That wouldn't bother me at all.
Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 04:36:16 PM »

There are better ways of saying this, not a very nice reply.  Even though it was sort of an OT discussion, it was interesting.  I just hope they keep the homeless at Arlington Heights, otherwise they might stay on the train and wind up here in Crystal Lake.

Not nice? Heading your way, I hope he puts a stick in your eye. You won't see.

Moon

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 04:36:41 PM »

The train time should be coodinated either by Metra or the track, society wants to encourage mass transit - the least we could do is use some common sense about time schedules.

There USED to be a 5:29 train, which wasn't any good because of the way AP ran their races back then. You would miss the 9th and 10th race because the ran a race every 30 minutes instead of 25 or so that they do now.

Of course, as soon as they changed the schedule to 6:29, AP started running only 9 races on Saturday and shortened the time between races, so now the last race is 4:50 or so.

/I can't win.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 04:39:52 PM »

B. Ginnings in Schaumburg and the Park West in Chicago were my music hangouts. I saw Elvis *** for $5 at B.Ginnings on his first tour! The drummer threw his sticks at the end of the concert and hit me in the eye! (Fortunately, I was wearing those big-ass safety glass glasses that WE.ALL.WORE in the 70s - don't make me call for pictures)
Round Table

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »

j
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 05:16:38 PM by 7474505B » Report to moderator   Logged

Moon

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2006, 05:17:08 PM »

The only time I ever went deaf was at a Bulls game in the old Stadium (before Jordan, believe it or not), although my ears did bleed once at a Zappa concert at the Auditorium.

/Aaaaaah, the good ole days.
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 07:31:43 AM »

One last classic Arlington Heights legend.  Ray Herr, a member of the group the Ides of March.  Still a local resident.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2006, 12:35:31 PM »

OK..anyone know or remember Dave Grunhoffer (sic) from Arlington Heights?
He was the lead singer for an obscure band called the "Huns", and then when on to "Greenwood County Farm" where they cut a few minor albums.
He was another of my "almost" brother-in-laws..LOL
jdm

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 01:41:14 PM »

Helo everyone, agree 4 days early on is good for AP. However what is the actual plan? They could still mess this up...... AP should play to it's strengths and if they don't this will fail horribly and then DD will cry about something else the state needs to do to help his track........ AP should run only 8 races a day on both Wednesday's and Thursday's any time of year. This will save more races for when they willhave more impact. Friday has clearly always outhandled Weds and Thurs, yet those smartguys continue to treat them equal, why? Friday should have a minimum of 11 races on Friday. No if's ands or buts. Saturday should have 11 and Sunday 10, that's 40 races with 4 days. 48 when 5 days........... If they add a races on Sunday it does much less than if it were Friday or Saturday. All those families with all their fat wallets are gone for supper by 5pm suppertime..... All I'm saying is AP better not go equal across the days, if they do they fail again on something that should be good for Illinois racing............I just wonder if AP has the right people working for horse racing making a comeback......... and please don't laugh at this, Arlington Park has a huge upside for racing.
Moon

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »

With the late start on Friday and no lights, they would really be pushing it to run 11 races, wouldn't they?

/Of course, they could start earlier.
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2006, 04:32:41 PM »

............. All I'm saying is AP better not go equal across the days ............... Arlington Park has a huge upside for racing.

Agree with you JDM. I do support 4 days of racing per week the entire meet. However 5 is fine as long as all weekday racing starts at 3pm like it does on Friday. AP's Friday attendance and total handle is usually the best of the week, closely followed by, or alernating with, Sunday. Unfortunately I seem to remember that the IRB or Harness guys blocked an AP attempt to go to additional weekday 3pm starts a few years ago. That may have changed and if so, AP should absolutely make the switch.

I also agree with you that AP Mgt should differentiate the number of races carded each day. I suggested in a previous post that Sat and Sun have 12 races each with a start time of noon. Your argument that the Sunday family crowd leaves early for dinner is partially correct. But the Sunday "stayers" still far outnumber crowds on every day but Friday. (I know because I missed only one weekend at AP this past summer). Further, as the day progresses, the mutuel pools grew SIGNIFICANTLY as the west coast players and east coast players jumped in. That's the big reason why I'm against shortening the racing day by fewer races or speeding up the of the end of the day's raciing. The handle per race is much greater later in the day.

Because Friday racing starts at 3pm, 10 and no more than 11 races makes sense to me. Summer daylight is fine for safe racing through at least 7:30pm. If the other weekday start times can be 3pm, I'd suggest 9 races. A number of posters have raised a valid question that there might not be enough horses to support decent size fields for this many races. I respectfully disagree. I look at other tracks that have more races and much larger field sizes. (Check out Turfway). I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, just that it can be done. Again, under my scenario, total races per week under a 4 day scenario Thur - Sun = 44 (9,11,12,12) and for the 5 day scenario, cutting back 1 race each from Friday and Sat, 2 from Sun = 49 (9,9,10,11,10).  Two years ago AP averaged 47 races per week, This year they averaged 46.

Call it wishful thinking, but JMO it can be done.

Pete   
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: