Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 02:11:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Claiming Crown to Ellis  (Read 2594 times)
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 09:34:26 AM »

PJ

I have never posted that I hate my job. I love my job and go at it with enthusiasm. What other job would allow me to go to the races every day and get paid for it?

I have posted that I am looking forward to retirement in a few years as most people my age are. I'll probably still go to the races most days.

As for negativity, how do you equate criticism of stupidity with negativity?
Report to moderator   Logged
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 09:54:48 AM »

PJ

I have never posted that I hate my job. I love my job and go at it with enthusiasm. What other job would allow me to go to the races every day and get paid for it?

I have posted that I am looking forward to retirement in a few years as most people my age are. I'll probably still go to the races most days.

As for negativity, how do you equate criticism of stupidity with negativity?

Ok TM, I won't debate the question of your negativity with you because I'm not going to dig back through the archives to win an argument. What's more important is that you or any of us have something we truly enjoy doing for most of the day. Good for you if you're happy. Ironically I don't think I would enjoy working at or for any track, because I would then lose a complimentary passion to what I do now.

But hey, isn't your bashing of "Happy Trails" at the conclusion of the racing day a silly negative? I suppose you would prefer that Arlington play a funeral dirge on the way out :-).

Pete   
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 10:30:08 AM »

"But hey, isn't your bashing of "Happy Trails" at the conclusion of the racing day a silly negative? I suppose you would prefer that Arlington play a funeral dirge on the way out :-)."

Pete,

How about NOTHING like almost every other track in the country?
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 10:42:22 AM »

"But hey, isn't your bashing of "Happy Trails" at the conclusion of the racing day a silly negative? I suppose you would prefer that Arlington play a funeral dirge on the way out :-)."

Pete,

How about NOTHING like almost every other track in the country?

Ahhh yessssssss......................the great nothingness.

Pete
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 10:43:18 AM »

But why, 10 years later, do you expect prices to be the same and what does it have to do with Elvis impersonators?

It was Elvis day that was the point. The concession prices wer only an interesting footnote. Took Arlington from opening day in 1927 until 1986 to get a beer to $3.50. Up $2.00 in only 10 years!
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »

I like "Happy Trails" as a customer. I don't like most of the other insipid music they play this year, but I like that.

There's also nothing sweeter than "Happy Trails" playing over the replay of your horse winning the last race on the card.
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »

Now if they could only keep the tellers open until "Happy Trails" plays. That would be sweet.
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 11:04:25 AM »

Now if they could only keep the tellers open until "Happy Trails" plays. That would be sweet.

Amen to that Moon. One of my few Arlington complaints was that the tellers were 5x faster at shutting down than in punching out wager tickets during the day. I never saw anyone hustle so fast as those AP tellers when Happy Trails was playing.

Pete
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 11:06:53 AM »

Amen to that Moon. One of my few Arlington complaints was that the tellers were 5x faster at shutting down than in punching out wager tickets during the day. I never saw anyone hustle so fast as those AP tellers when Happy Trails was playing.

Don't even dream of cashing out on 3rd floor grandstand side after the final race. Those windows and machines are closed down before the race is over. I've complained about that many times over the years and been told it would be fixed, and it is - for about two weeks. Then it's right back to normal.
TommyCh

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »

Asking if it was below Arlington's dignity was a loaded question. I meant to ask if ARLINGTON thinks it's beneath its dignity.

The second interpretation would be to ask if WE think it's beneath Arlington's dignity.

I would think the marketing poobahs at CDI/Arlington would think there is "no synergy" between the festival and a claiming day. That it would send "mixed signals" about just what kind of a racing venue Arlington is. Of course, this would be practiced obliviousness to what kind of racing Arlington really does offer, which is crap. If they were steeped in reality, they would understand how much of their racing is claiming anyway and embrace the claiming day. When you look at some of the things Calder has done...  And claiming day does get national publicity.

But yeah, If Arlington doesn't want it, Hawthorne would be perfect.

P.S. Don't you just gag at the video promo that includes happy, smiling and helpful tellers? Hey, if you don't like your jobs, ...........
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »

But yeah, If Arlington doesn't want it, Hawthorne would be perfect.

Why can't the Claiming Crown be run in September or October at Hawthorne?  It is not like these horses are getting ready for the BC.  It might be interesting to have the Claiming Crown run a week or two before the BC in order to promote all levels of racing.
mel4600

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 03:32:45 PM »

Why can't the Claiming Crown be run in September or October at Hawthorne?  It is not like these horses are getting ready for the BC.  It might be interesting to have the Claiming Crown run a week or two before the BC in order to promote all levels of racing.

Dan,

I find myself agreeing with many of your statements. I think the fall weather would be a lot better than the last 2 claiming crown races being run in 95% heat.
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »

Agree here too. The CC would be well received in September or early October at Hawthorne. That's it!!

Let's get a petition started!!
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 06:13:04 PM »

Beau,

I'll sign it.

mel4600

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 07:14:52 PM »

Count me in too.