Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 02, 2014, 01:50:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Claiming Crown to Ellis  (Read 2552 times)
TommyCh

« on: September 12, 2006, 03:39:44 PM »

Ellis the corporate sibling of Arlington. Is something like the Claiming Crown beneath Arlington's dignity? I wouldn't mind having it here.
Report to moderator   Logged
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 04:07:58 PM »

Ellis the corporate sibling of Arlington. Is something like the Claiming Crown beneath Arlington's dignity? I wouldn't mind having it here.

I am trying to remember.  Has Ellis been sold by CDI or is that still in the talking stage?

Is the Claiming Crown a separate entity that can go from track to track?  Who controls it?
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 05:01:46 PM »

Yes Ellis was already sold. I think the new owner is a businessman from Kentucky that also owns and breeds horses.
TommyCh

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 05:07:25 PM »

Yeah, that's right about Ellis!

"Claiming Crown is owned by the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association and the National Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association."

Here's the full story:  http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35283

Would still like to have it here.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 05:52:39 PM »

Tommy writes:
Would still like to have it here.

I'd like to have it about a dozen other places than Ellis.  It's Africa kinda hot down there in August.  AP, Cby, Sar and a few others would be a better choice.

-RSR
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 09:17:33 PM »

How does this happen? I thought this was Canterbury all the way.
Fiddler

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:56:04 AM »

This isn't the first time the Claiming Crown has been run at someplace other than Canterbury; a few years ago they ran it at Philadelphia Park. 
mel4600

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:04:40 AM »

Tommy writes:
I'd like to have it about a dozen other places than Ellis.  It's Africa kinda hot down there in August.  AP, Cby, Sar and a few others would be a better choice.

-RSR

The last 2 Claiming Crowns were run in mid 90% heat at Canterbury. Having said that, Canterbury did a first class job the last 3 years I was there. The people running the show there are second to none.
Parker
Perfection Epitomized

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »

Canterbury always did an awesome job.  I enjoyed the event so well.  They really are good to thier horsemen up there, all meet.  Well, we'll see how it goes at sweltering Ellis. 
maladjusted

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 03:16:29 PM »

Is something like the Claiming Crown beneath Arlington's dignity?

I think you may have it right Tommy, quite frankly I do feel the Claiming Crown is beneath AP's dignity.

Ellis Park seems like a right spot for an event from CBY.
Fiddler

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 03:22:34 PM »

I think you may have it right Tommy, quite frankly I do feel the Claiming Crown is beneath AP's dignity.

Ellis Park seems like a right spot for an event from CBY.

Beneath AP's dignity?  Wouldn't it then be beneath AP's dignity to run Ostrich races?  How about that wonderful quarter horse race they run every year?  Hell, they raced a buffalo out there once a few years ago, c'mon.  Give me a break, beneath AP's dignity.  They would be lucky to get an event like the Claiming Crown.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 03:32:49 PM »

Fiddler,

Remember the medieval jousting contests they used to have? And who can forget the sheep-herding monkey dogs?

Very dignified indeed!

What they think is beneath their dignity is to run 4k claimers and 5-yo maidens. Full fields be damned! Thanks AP.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 03:36:48 PM by Trackman » Report to moderator   Logged
maladjusted

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 03:42:10 PM »

Wouldn't it then be beneath AP's dignity to run Ostrich races? How about that wonderful quarter horse race they run every year? Hell, they raced a buffalo out there once a few years ago, c'mon.

All those "special events" you speak of ( besides the quarter-horse stakes race ) were conducted before Arlington was part
of CDI....
Fiddler

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 04:06:03 PM »

Trackman

Nice memory, your right, the medevial jousting was all a shill for the Medevial Time's Restaurant in Schaumburg.  I don't know how I forgot that cheeseball event.  Very dignified indeed.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 04:19:35 PM »

"All those "special events" you speak of ( besides the quarter-horse stakes race ) were conducted before Arlington was part
of CDI."

Mal,

What you say may well be true. I don't keep track of that stuff. But they've still held kiddie races from the gate, kiddie stick horse races and other frou frou well after they merged with CDI.

They still play that stupid "Let's Get It Started" song EVERY RACE before Liane's picks for Arlington Today. They still show that Little Rascals segment ad nauseum before Labor Day. And worst of all, they still play "Happy Trails" every GD night after the races. Counting the "Roy Rogers Show", when I was a kid, I'll bet I've heard that song 5,000 times.

Did you ever hear that kind of crap at Saratoga, Belmont, Gulfstream, Keeneland, Churchill, Fairgrounds, Santa Anita, Del Mar or Hollywood?

Look, AP hasn't had any dignity for at least 15 years.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:26:19 PM by Trackman » Report to moderator   Logged
maladjusted

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 04:27:07 PM »

Agree with "Let's Get It Started "

Disagree with "Happy Trails"
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 05:24:21 PM »

What better place for the Claiming Crown than Hawthorne?

Ed
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 05:37:10 PM »

Ed

If the IRB can give Arlington October dates for the BC, it's only fair to give Hawthorne August for the CC.

One thing Arlington has not done in recent memory that it really needs to do again is Elvis day.

Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 05:45:03 PM »

"One thing Arlington has not done in recent memory that it really needs to do again is Elvis day."

Terry,

WHY?

I will read your response after my nap. ZZZZZZZ.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 05:48:13 PM »

"One thing Arlington has not done in recent memory that it really needs to do again is Elvis day."

Terry,

WHY?

This is why. P.S. Note the 1996 concession prices.

http://www.mcchump.com/elvis.htm
maladjusted

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 06:09:02 PM »

Ed

Actually Hawthorne would be an excellent choice, but the CC would have to be moved
from August to September or October. That scenario seems very unlikely.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 06:13:22 PM by maladjusted » Report to moderator   Logged
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 06:39:56 PM »

Me three..Hawthorne would be great for the CC. Nice huge fields too!
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »

"This is why. P.S. Note the 1996 concession prices."

Terry,

Just woke up from my short nap. Yeah, that's great. But why, 10 years later, do you expect prices to be the same and what does it have to do with Elvis impersonators?
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 11:05:56 PM »

"All those "special events" you speak of ( besides the quarter-horse stakes race ) were conducted before Arlington was part
of CDI."

Mal,

What you say may well be true. I don't keep track of that stuff. But they've still held kiddie races from the gate, kiddie stick horse races and other frou frou well after they merged with CDI.

They still play that stupid "Let's Get It Started" song EVERY RACE before Liane's picks for Arlington Today. They still show that Little Rascals segment ad nauseum before Labor Day. And worst of all, they still play "Happy Trails" every GD night after the races. Counting the "Roy Rogers Show", when I was a kid, I'll bet I've heard that song 5,000 times.

Did you ever hear that kind of crap at Saratoga, Belmont, Gulfstream, Keeneland, Churchill, Fairgrounds, Santa Anita, Del Mar or Hollywood?

At the end of the day, Churchill plays a recording of "My Old Kentucky Home" from the latest Derby.
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 12:04:03 AM »

Mal,

Trackman,
    Lordy dude. Talk about dignity? You've past posted that you hate your job and are just hanging on for your retirement benefits. Does the sun ever shine in your world? If you worked for me with that crappy attitude I'd help you find something you truly enjoyed doing - no matter how challenging that might be. Life is too short to be weighed down by all that negativity TM.

Pete
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 09:34:26 AM »

PJ

I have never posted that I hate my job. I love my job and go at it with enthusiasm. What other job would allow me to go to the races every day and get paid for it?

I have posted that I am looking forward to retirement in a few years as most people my age are. I'll probably still go to the races most days.

As for negativity, how do you equate criticism of stupidity with negativity?
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 09:54:48 AM »

PJ

I have never posted that I hate my job. I love my job and go at it with enthusiasm. What other job would allow me to go to the races every day and get paid for it?

I have posted that I am looking forward to retirement in a few years as most people my age are. I'll probably still go to the races most days.

As for negativity, how do you equate criticism of stupidity with negativity?

Ok TM, I won't debate the question of your negativity with you because I'm not going to dig back through the archives to win an argument. What's more important is that you or any of us have something we truly enjoy doing for most of the day. Good for you if you're happy. Ironically I don't think I would enjoy working at or for any track, because I would then lose a complimentary passion to what I do now.

But hey, isn't your bashing of "Happy Trails" at the conclusion of the racing day a silly negative? I suppose you would prefer that Arlington play a funeral dirge on the way out :-).

Pete   
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 10:30:08 AM »

"But hey, isn't your bashing of "Happy Trails" at the conclusion of the racing day a silly negative? I suppose you would prefer that Arlington play a funeral dirge on the way out :-)."

Pete,

How about NOTHING like almost every other track in the country?
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 10:42:22 AM »

"But hey, isn't your bashing of "Happy Trails" at the conclusion of the racing day a silly negative? I suppose you would prefer that Arlington play a funeral dirge on the way out :-)."

Pete,

How about NOTHING like almost every other track in the country?

Ahhh yessssssss......................the great nothingness.

Pete
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 10:43:18 AM »

But why, 10 years later, do you expect prices to be the same and what does it have to do with Elvis impersonators?

It was Elvis day that was the point. The concession prices wer only an interesting footnote. Took Arlington from opening day in 1927 until 1986 to get a beer to $3.50. Up $2.00 in only 10 years!
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 10:46:37 AM »

I like "Happy Trails" as a customer. I don't like most of the other insipid music they play this year, but I like that.

There's also nothing sweeter than "Happy Trails" playing over the replay of your horse winning the last race on the card.
Moon

My new motto: Remain Vertical!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »

Now if they could only keep the tellers open until "Happy Trails" plays. That would be sweet.
pjcleve

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 11:04:25 AM »

Now if they could only keep the tellers open until "Happy Trails" plays. That would be sweet.

Amen to that Moon. One of my few Arlington complaints was that the tellers were 5x faster at shutting down than in punching out wager tickets during the day. I never saw anyone hustle so fast as those AP tellers when Happy Trails was playing.

Pete
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 11:06:53 AM »

Amen to that Moon. One of my few Arlington complaints was that the tellers were 5x faster at shutting down than in punching out wager tickets during the day. I never saw anyone hustle so fast as those AP tellers when Happy Trails was playing.

Don't even dream of cashing out on 3rd floor grandstand side after the final race. Those windows and machines are closed down before the race is over. I've complained about that many times over the years and been told it would be fixed, and it is - for about two weeks. Then it's right back to normal.
TommyCh

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »

Asking if it was below Arlington's dignity was a loaded question. I meant to ask if ARLINGTON thinks it's beneath its dignity.

The second interpretation would be to ask if WE think it's beneath Arlington's dignity.

I would think the marketing poobahs at CDI/Arlington would think there is "no synergy" between the festival and a claiming day. That it would send "mixed signals" about just what kind of a racing venue Arlington is. Of course, this would be practiced obliviousness to what kind of racing Arlington really does offer, which is crap. If they were steeped in reality, they would understand how much of their racing is claiming anyway and embrace the claiming day. When you look at some of the things Calder has done...  And claiming day does get national publicity.

But yeah, If Arlington doesn't want it, Hawthorne would be perfect.

P.S. Don't you just gag at the video promo that includes happy, smiling and helpful tellers? Hey, if you don't like your jobs, ...........
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »

But yeah, If Arlington doesn't want it, Hawthorne would be perfect.

Why can't the Claiming Crown be run in September or October at Hawthorne?  It is not like these horses are getting ready for the BC.  It might be interesting to have the Claiming Crown run a week or two before the BC in order to promote all levels of racing.
mel4600

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 03:32:45 PM »

Why can't the Claiming Crown be run in September or October at Hawthorne?  It is not like these horses are getting ready for the BC.  It might be interesting to have the Claiming Crown run a week or two before the BC in order to promote all levels of racing.

Dan,

I find myself agreeing with many of your statements. I think the fall weather would be a lot better than the last 2 claiming crown races being run in 95% heat.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 05:41:24 PM »

Agree here too. The CC would be well received in September or early October at Hawthorne. That's it!!

Let's get a petition started!!
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 06:13:04 PM »

Beau,

I'll sign it.

mel4600

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 07:14:52 PM »

Count me in too.