Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 08:37:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Juvenile Fillies  (Read 1556 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 26, 2005, 11:09:08 PM »

Tuesday, October 25, 2005      Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

ALBERTO VO5 BREEDERS’ CUP JUVENILE FILLIES NOTES

Adieu – The expected co-favorite for the VO5 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies walked the shedrow Tuesday morning for trainer Todd Pletcher after posting a final workout Monday that the 38-year-old, two-time Breeders’ Cup winning conditioner called “exceptional.
   “She’s usually not overaggressive in the mornings, but she showed that yesterday,” said Pletcher. “It’s a good sign that she’s coming up to this race very well and she’s doing great this morning.”

Along the Sea – Buckram Oak Farm’s Along the Sea walked the shedrow at Belmont Park Tuesday morning after working a half-mile in 47 4/5 Monday morning. Jockey Javier Castellano had ridden the homebred daughter of Anees in her last three and will have the mount again on Saturday.
   Trainer Ralph Ziadie is due from his Calder Race Course headquarters Wednesday, if flights are able to get out of Ft. Lauderdale in the wake of Hurricane Wilma, which caused considerable damage in the Miami track’s barn area.
   “We were lucky in our barn,” said Ziadie. “The horses are fine—just a little flooding in our area. A lot of barns had roof damage.” As for the possibility of an ‘off’ track at Belmont Saturday, Ziadie, “That wouldn’t be a problem for her. She handled it just fine in her last race (second in Frizette).”

Diamond Omi – The California-based filly was airborne Tuesday, part of the Tex Sutton flight that was inbound to New York and Belmont Park for Saturday’s Breeders’ Cup. She was expected to be bedded down at Barn 14 Tuesday afternoon.
   Trainer Bob Baffert, who has saddled the $190,000 yearling daughter of Giant’s Causeway for two wins and a third in four California starts, sent assistant Jim Barnes with the filly and planned on joining them Thursday.

Ex Caelis-Folklore – Trainer D. Wayne Lukas’ two hopefuls for the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies galloped Tuesday morning at Churchill Downs under exercise rider Stacy Prior.
   Lukas plans to ship the fillies to New York on Wednesday with Edgar Prado slated to ride Folklore and Rafael Bejarano on Ex Caelis.
   Owned by Bob and Beverly Lewis, Folklore began her racing career at Belmont and has posted two wins and two seconds in four starts at Belmont Park. Since her victory in the Sept. 17 Matron, Folklore has done all of her training at Churchill Downs with four works, two of them bullets, the last being a 6f move in 1:14 3/5 last Saturday over a sloppy track.
   “We felt like we would be better off here all along,” Lukas said when told of the Tuesday morning conditions at Belmont. “It is just cold and dry here today.”
   Ex Caelis, owned by Circle C Group Stables, has not raced at Belmont Park.

Keeneland Kat – The Kelly Breen-trained filly just walked under cover Tuesday morning, the day after her final Breeders’ Cup breeze.
   “We just shedrowed her today because of the weather,” Breen said. “She looks like she came out of the breeze fine, and everything looks good.”
   Keeneland Kat, who finished third in the Frizette Stakes last out in her Belmont debut, worked 3f in 37 2/5 Monday morning.
   Joe Bravo, who was aboard for Monday’s breeze, will have the mount Saturday on the daughter of Hennessy, who is owned by George and Lori Hall.

- more -

2-2-2-2-2

Knights Templar – The daughter of Exploit arrived at Belmont Park late Monday afternoon and was out on the track Tuesday morning for some light exercise.
   “She shipped perfectly,” said Christopher Vella, son of trainer Dan Vella who is supervising the filly’s preparation here. “She walked under the shedrow early, and then we took her out to hack around the main track to stretch her legs.”
   The Florida-bred filly, a galloping winner of the Mazarine Breeders’ Cup Stakes in Canada last out, had her final prep for the Breeders’ Cup last Saturday, getting 6f in 1:14 4/5, galloping out 7f in 1:27 4/5 at Woodbine.
   Gary Stevens rides the filly for the first time in the Juvenile Fillies.

Miss Norman – Greg Norman’s Artax 2yo was declared out Tuesday because of a pulled right suspensory. It happened a few days ago when she was galloping with other horses, said Norman, who has been supervising her preparations while trainer Salvador Gonzalez stayed with their California string.
   Because there was heat in the area, he said, “We did an ultrasound yesterday. There were no holes or tears but the veterinarian said it would take 30 days of rest to get the swelling out of the suspensory.”
   Norman said injuries “are just one of the frustrating parts of the game. … You have to mourn it and move on.”

Original Spin – Russell L. Reineman Stable Inc.’s undefeated Distorted Humor filly was one of only a handful of horses that actually braved the elements on Tuesday morning, galloping over a sloppy Belmont track before the training break.
   “She seemed to handle the track fine,” said Sherri Mitchell, wife and assistant to trainer Anthony Mitchell. “The mud and slop didn’t bother her. What did seem to bother her was the wind up her tail. They’ve done a fabulous job with the track.
   “An off track wouldn’t be the perfect scenario on Saturday, but I don’t see it being a problem for our filly.”
   Jerry Bailey, who has won more Breeders’ Cup races than any other jockey, has the mount on Saturday.

Sensation – Trainer Stan Hough kept his Juvenile Fillies hopeful in the barn walking the shedrow Tuesday morning rather than risk a misstep in the nasty weather in the New York area.
   Hough and his assistant Lazero Cruz indicated the 2yo daughter of Dixie Union might workout Thursday depending on how quickly the Belmont tracks dry out.

She Says It Best – The Alcibiades winner completed her major preparations for the Juvenile Fillies by working a bullet 3 f in 36 2/5 over a muddy Churchill Downs track. It was the fastest work of 10 at the distance. The Stormy Atlantic filly ships Wednesday along with several other Churchill-based Breeders’ Cup starters.
   “She’s doing fine,” said trainer Vickie Foley. “The track was muddy and on the heavy side, so it was a good work. She won the Debutante (at Ellis Park in August) in the slop, so I don’t see that being a problem.”

Wild Fit – The 2yo daughter of Wild Wonder was expected in New York Tuesday afternoon following a flight from Los Angeles that left at 5 a.m. Pacific time.
The filly, owned by Brewer Racing Stable and Murray Smith and trained by Jeff Mullins, finished serious training for Saturday’s race with a 6f work Monday in 1:13 2/5 at Santa Anita.

Report to moderator   Logged
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 04:11:40 PM »

Thursday, October 27, 2005                   Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

ALBERTO VO5 BREEDERS’ CUP JUVENILE FILLIES NOTES

Adieu – The second choice according to the morning line in Saturday’s Alberto VO5 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies was full of herself while going through her morning paces for trainer Todd Pletcher in a sign the daughter of El Corredor is getting more and more focused with each experience.

“I didn’t work her, but Todd and Angel (Cordero Jr.) say she’s really getting aggressive,” said jockey John Velazquez. “That’s a great sign.”

After galloping 1¼ miles over the main track at Belmont early in the morning, Adieu joined several of her stablemates for a schooling in the paddock just prior to the start of racing Thursday. While standing in her saddling enclosure she sent at least two kicks into the boards.

Along the Sea – Buckram Oak Farm’s Juvenile Fillies contender Along the Sea galloped 1¼ miles Thursday morning.  Despite finishing second and third behind morning-line favorites Folklore and Adieu in New York stakes races this year, Along the Sea has been assigned odds of 20-1.

Along the Sea represents trainer Ralph Ziadie’s first Breeders’ Cup starter and, unfortunately, the South Florida-based trainer will not be at Belmont Park to see her run.

Hurricane Wilma, which passed through South Florida on Monday, forced airport closings on Wednesday – Ziadie’s travel day – and he had other considerations as well.

“After the hurricane, there is nothing wrong with my barn (at Calder Race Course), but I have a lot of horses here for Mr. Fustok (Buckram Oak Farm), too.  I have an excellent assistant, but I feel I should be here (in Miami).  My foreman and crew in New York are doing a great job with the four horses I have there,” said Ziadie, who also sends out Silver Wagon on Saturday in the Sport Page Handicap prior to the Breeders’ Cup races at Belmont.

As of Thursday morning, there were still widespread power outages in South Florida, so Ziadie hopes that power is restored in time to be able to watch the Breeders’ Cup on television.

“I think she has a super chance.  It’s hard not to be there for my first Breeders’ Cup horse,” he said.

Diamond Omi – The good-looking daughter of Giant’s Causeway went trackside at 8:45 following the renovation break at Belmont Park Thursday morning and galloped.

Assistant trainer Jim Barnes, serving as deputy for his boss, Bob Baffert, gave the stable’s regular exercise rider – Dana Barnes, who also happens to be his wife – a leg up on the filly for her mile and one-half exercise.

“We’re doing great with her,” said Jim Barnes. “We’re moving right along and flying under the radar. It’s a good place to be.”

Barnes reported that Baffert was scheduled to jet in from California today with a 5 p.m. arrival time.

Ex Caelis, Folklore – Trainer D. Wayne Lukas’ two Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies entrants galloped Thursday morning at Belmont Park under exercise rider Stacy Prior. The two arrived from Churchill Downs on Wednesday before noon.

Owned by Bob and Beverly Lewis, Folklore will break from post position one under Edgar Prado. She comes into the Juvenile Fillies off a 14-length score in the Sept. 17 Matron.

“I thought that was a hell of a performance,” trainer D. Wayne Lukas said of the morning-line Juvenile Fillies favorite. “I thought she would run huge; we were really optimistic.”

After the Matron, Folklore returned to Churchill Downs where she has trained since.

“She puts so much into her mornings, so much energy in her training, I sure did not want to go three weeks, three weeks then three weeks. I would have had nothing,” Lukas said of the six-week break instead of coming back in the Frizette after the Matron. “She’s not a big, robust filly. She looks a lot like (her sire) Tiznow. She would have put too much into that race (Frizette) and, looking back, weather-wise it was a miserable day.”

- more -

2-2-2-2-2

Ex Caelis, owned  by the Circle C Group Stables, will be ridden by Rafael Bejarano and break from post position nine.

As opposed to Folklore, who debuted May 18, Ex Caelis did not race until July 31.

“She is a Fusaichi Pegasus and she had a little bit of an attitude and we had to work through that,” Lukas said. “It was more mental than physical.”

Although Ex Caelis has only a maiden victory to her credit, Lukas cautions not to overlook her.

“It could be a Cash Run-Surfside deal again,” Lukas said with a smile in reference to the 1999 Juvenile Fillies at Gulfstream Park. “Everybody was looking at Surfside, and here came Cash Run. If she brings her ‘A’ game, she’s tough. This morning  was her first time on this track and I think she galloped better than I have ever seen her, so evidently she likes this track.”

Knights Templar – The daughter of Exploit galloped a mile and a quarter over the main track Thursday morning with trainer Dan Vella on hand to supervise. Christopher Vella, his 19-year-old son, was aboard the filly.

“She schooled in the paddock yesterday,” the trainer said, “and handled it very well. I was happy with the draw. She’s got the perfect post (five in a field of 10) for her style. There are a couple of speed horses in there, and we’ll be able to tuck behind them. She can sit back and relax and be a stalker.”

Knights Templar has had six starts at Woodbine, and last time stretched out successfully to win the Mazarine Breeders’ Cup Stakes by more than 13 lengths.

“She’s a classic-looking filly,” Vella said. “She’s very long and very muscular. A real Storm Cat type (Exploit is a son of Storm Cat). She’s got a long stride that gets longer when she really starts to run.”

Gary Stevens will ride Knights Templar for the first time in the Juvenile Fillies, which Vella does not see as a problem.

“Gary’s the best catch-rider I’ve ever seen,” the trainer said. “He’s able to jump on a horse and know all about him right away. I’ll just tell him what I know about the filly, and give him some options. He’ll decide what’s best to do after the first 10 strides.”

Original Spin – The undefeated Distorted Humor filly galloped 1 ½ miles over the main track on Thursday as she continued to prepare for her third career start in the Juvenile Fillies. Original Spin drew post position two of 10 for the race.

“If she was a different horse, we’d probably be more upset (about post),” said owner Jennifer McCutcheon, granddaughter of Russell Reineman. “She does have natural speed. It’s not our first choice, but it’s not the end of the world.”

McCutcheon has been helping Sherrie Mitchell, assistant and wife of trainer Tony Mitchell, with the care of the filly.

“It looks like our race is one of the most evenly matched races,” added Mitchell. “It may come down to a jockeys’ race.”

Fortunately for Original Spin’s connections, they will have the services of Jerry Bailey, who is the leading Breeders’ Cup winning rider with 14 victories.

“Jerry worked the filly for us the other day and was very impressed with her,” said Mitchell. “We’re very flattered that he wants to ride her. When you come to New York you want the top rider. Jerry’s the king of New York.”

Sensation – The winner of three of her four career starts turned in her final workout ahead of her most difficult task so far in Saturday’s Juvenile Fillies.

Trainer Stan Hough sent the 2yo daughter of Dixie Union for a 3f “blowout” in 36 3/5 over Belmont’s main track.

“She went off easy and did it smoothly,” said Hough. “We didn’t have to do much with her because she had a serious workout last week.”

Dozens of Breeders’ Cup hopefuls worked on Monday because of rainy and windy weather in the New York area, but Hough says it never disrupted his plans for this filly.

“The timing has been right for her all along,” he said. “The weather acted as they predicted and she could sure use the jogging leading up to the storm. The way her works had been scheduled meant we would have done something around this time anyway. It actually worked out pretty well for us.”

She Says It Best – The Stormy Atlantic filly, who arrived with a large contingent of Kentucky-based starters on Wednesday, got familiar with the Belmont Park main track on Thursday morning, galloping a little over a mile and a half, according to trainer Vickie Foley, who is also a co-owner of the juvenile filly.

“She’s fine, knock on wood,” said Foley. “She shipped well. She’s relaxed and comfortable.”

- more -

3-3-3-3-3

Wild Fit – The 2yo filly, owned by Brewer Racing Stable and Murray Smith and trained by Jeff Mullins, jogged back to the starting gate, schooled there and then galloped a mile over the main track Thursday morning.

Mullins expressed no concern over the Wild Fit’s outside post in the 1 1/16 miles race, but did voice concern over the need for the roan filly to be in the detention barn by 7 a.m. Saturday. “I’m not sure I’m even going to be able to train her that morning and get her to the detention barn on time,” Mullins said, since the track won’t open for training until 6 a.m.

Even of greater concern to the trainer is the fact that Captain Squire, his entrant in the Sport Page Handicap, the day’s first race with a noon post time, will be required to be in detention at 6 a.m. “Here’s an old horse who has had surgery on both ankles and both knees, and I’m not going to be able to even warm him up.”

Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: