Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 21, 2014, 11:12:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turf  (Read 1929 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 26, 2005, 10:04:15 PM »

Tuesday, October 25, 2005      Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

JOHN DEERE BREEDERS’ CUP TURF NOTES

Ace (IRE) – The 4yo son of Danehill was one of five horses from trainer Aidan O’Brien’s Ballydoyle yard in Ireland expected to arrive at the Belmont Park Quarantine Barn around 5 p.m.
Tuesday after a non-stop charter flight from Shannon Airport.
Stable rider Kieren Fallon will have the mount on Saturday. O’Brien is expected to arrive in New York on Thursday, according to the International Racing Bureau.

Alkaased – Luca Cumani changed plans for his Turf hopeful on arriving at Belmont Park on a rainy, blustery Tuesday. Instead of the main track, the British trainer sent the Kingmambo 5yo to trainer Allen Jerkens’ covered jogging track in Barn 30 in company with Classic hopeful Starcraft.
On being informed by Jerkens that seven times around constituted one mile, Cumani had his duo go half a dozen laps in each direction.
The son of Kingmambo was also scheduled to go to the Training Track Tuesday afternoon. “He goes out at 4:30 p.m. just to trot because he needs a bit more exercise,” said Cumani.
   The trainer was convinced the Turf course would be open to European runners on Wednesday and said Alkaased would canter over it, but he would not like a soft course on Saturday.
   “He doesn’t like it soft and he might not run if it is very deep,” he said. “I’m hoping the mile-and-a-half here will help him and there will be a good pace. He likes to run around bends.”

Azamour (IRE) – The Aga Khan’s runner cantered on the training track Tuesday morning in preparation for the Turf. Trainer John Oxx, who won the Mile here in very heavy going with Ridgewood Pearl in 1995, has given the ride Saturday to Michael Kinane.

Bago (FR) – Never out of the money in 10 starts, the 4yo figures to be a big factor on Saturday. Bago went to the main track Tuesday morning for a canter in company with Robert Collet-trained Whipper.
The French-trained runners left the Quarantine Barn 30 minutes after their blood tests were cleared by the USDA lab in Ames, Iowa. Thierry Gillet, who has ridden Bago in all his starts, will have the mount on Saturday.   

Better Talk Now – The defending Turf champion kept a low profile while jogging over the trails at Fair Hill Training Center on a wet and windy Tuesday morning. Although Better Talk Now has been training out of the Belmont Park spotlight, trainer Graham Motion expressed a bit of consternation that his 6yo turf star isn’t being given more attention.
   “Honestly, I don’t know why that is,” Motion said. “I think he’s always been in the shadow of the ‘now’ horse. Last year, it was Kitten’s Joy. This year, it’s Shakespeare,”
    Motion, who plans to van Better Talk Now and his three other Breeders’ Cup horses to Belmont Park after training hours on Thursday, certainly appreciates the accomplishments of Better Talk Now, who has won a pair of Grade 1 turf stakes this year after prevailing in the Turf at Lone Star Park last year at 27-1.
   “He’s one of those once in a lifetime horses. To be able to come back to the Breeders’ Cup with a chance to defend a championship is a dream come true,” Motion said. “We know how hard it is for a horse to maintain his form from one year to the next.”

English Channel – On a nasty weather morning at Belmont Park, trainer Todd Pletcher let his Joe Hirsch Turf Classic runner-up walk the shedrow Tuesday morning under tack.
   The 3yo son of Smart Strike breezed over the Belmont turf course Saturday in a move designed to get his final workout as close to the schedule Pletcher had mapped out had the weather cooperated.

- more -
2-2-2-2-2

“It’s been difficult with all the rain we’ve had that we haven’t had to get too far off schedule,” said Pletcher. “Ideally I probably would have wished to work (last) Sunday and (this) Sunday with all my Breeders’ Cup horses. As it is, the turf horses went Saturday and the dirt horses worked Monday so we’ve been fortunate.”
   While the rain shifted the schedule, Pletcher is confident English Channel and his other seven projected starters on Saturday’s program are ready.
   “I could walk them all until Saturday and they’d be ready,” he said. “English Channel is obviously fit and I think especially with turf horses like him, they tend to hold their fitness and recuperate from their races a little better.”
   English Channel was a game second-place finisher in the Turf Classic while racing between the undefeated Shakepeare and Ace (IRE) through the straight.

Fourty Niners Son – The 4yo colt was scheduled to arrive for the Turf Tuesday afternoon on a flight from California. Asked how he named the son of Distorted Humor out of the mare Cindazanno, owner-breeder Tom Baxter—a Nebraska cattleman—explained, “I always liked Distorted Humor’s sire, Forty Niner, and I was never a very good speller.”

Gun Salute – While Bill Mott fears that a couple of his horses’ performances might be compromised by soft turf, the Hall of Fame trainer can take a measure of comfort in knowing that Gun Salute would benefit.
   The 3yo colt, who galloped a mile over the Belmont training track Tuesday morning, has won three races on “off” turf. Mott said that the likelihood of a soft turf on Saturday was a contributing factor in deciding to enter the late-developing Gun Salute in the Turf.
   “It’s been one step at a time with him, but he really showed himself off in the Secretariat,” said Mott, whose 3yo captured the Grade 1 stakes on a “yielding” turf.

Laura’s Lucky Boy – The 4yo son of 1987 Turf winner Theatrical galloped 1 ½ miles under exercise rider Paul Nilluang Tuesday at Santa Anita and will be flown to New York Wednesday on a cargo flight with stablemate Rock Hard Ten. Like Rock Hard Ten, Laura’s Lucky Boy was a stakes winner at 3 before being transferred by owner Mercedes Stable to trainer Richard Mandella late last year.

Leprechaun Kid – The 6yo gelding was scheduled to arrive Tuesday afternoon on a flight from California, but trainer Mike Mitchell was uncertain of an exercise rider because of the hurricane in Florida. “I left his regular exercise rider in California with the rest of the stable,” explained Mitchell, who arrived here Monday night.
“Rhonda Nalley, my assistant trainer in Florida, was supposed to fly up and be his exercise rider, but today she was not sure when she would be able to get out because of flight cancellations and delays. If she is unable to get here by tomorrow morning, I may try to use Don Chatlos’ exercise rider (David Meah) since we are both stabled with Bobby Frankel.
“Bobby is the greatest trainer, so I’ll watch what he does,” said Mitchell of his training plans for the week. “I will probably go early on the dirt tomorrow. I doubt that I will go on the grass tomorrow, especially after all that rain.”
Mitchell, 57, is no stranger to New York but has never started a horse at Belmont. “In 1974, I worked here for Reggie Cornell when he trained for Calumet,” said Mitchell. “At Aqueduct, I won the (2001) Bay Shore Stakes with Skip to the Stone.”

Shakespeare – As the morning rains fell onto the Belmont Park turf course, trainer Bill Mott had some reason for concern about Shakespeare’s start in the Turf.  Although the undefeated 4yo son of Theatrical has never run on anything other than ‘firm’ turf, his breeding suggests that a soft course would not be to his liking.
   “He worked on it Monday – it probably would have been rated ‘yielding’ – and he worked well,” said Mott, whose Turf contender worked 5f on turf in 1:03 4/5 Monday morning to jockey Jerry Bailey’s satisfaction. “But, historically, Theatricals don’t like soft ground.”
   Mott, whose Turf starter tack-walked under the shedrow Tuesday morning, said the best-case scenario for Saturday would be a “good” turf course.
   Shakespeare has overcome bigger obstacles. After winning his first two races last year, he suffered a stress fracture in his right knee that threatened his racing career.
   “He went from the best horse in the barn to a retired horse,” said Mott, who reported that a screw was inserted into the knee to help the healing process. “I never thought he’d return. I just had to put it behind me.”

- more -
3-3-3-3-3

Shake the Bank – Trainer Graham Motion had briefly pondered keeping Shake The Bank in his stall at Fair Hill Training Center on Saturday, but he said he didn’t want to ask himself, “What if,” on Sunday morning. Shake the Bank will be entered in the Turf Wednesday for the benefit of his late-running stablemate and defending Turf champion, Better Talk Now.
   Motion, who employed the same strategy to facilitate Better Talk Now’s victories in the United Nations and Man ‘O War, said Shake the Bank shouldn’t have any negative impact on any of the other Turf runners.
   “The only reason we’re entering him is to insure an honest pace, not to take anyone out of his game,” said Motion, who reported that the 5yo gelding galloped 1½ miles over wood chips Tuesday morning. “It actually may help other horses in the race, especially the Europeans.”
     Tommy Turner will be aboard Shake the Bank again after getting the job done in both the United Nations and Man ‘O War.

Shirocco (GER)—British trainer John Gosden was touting the Andre Fabre trainee Tuesday morning after the son of Monsun  returned from a canter on the training track in company with Fabre’s Mile representative Valixir. The horses were on the track at 9:15, about 30 minutes after their blood tests were cleared by the USDA lab in Ames, Iowa.
   “There’s the Turf winner,” Gosden said as Shirocco entered the Quarantine Barn gate. “He loves soft ground.”
   Shirocco will have the services of Christophe Soumillon on Saturday. Fabre is expected to be at Belmont Park Friday.

Silverfoot – Chrysalis Stable LLC’s With Approval gelding had a light gallop over a muddy Churchill Downs track on Tuesday morning. He is scheduled to arrive at Belmont on Wednesday afternoon on a flight from Louisville.
   Trainer Dallas Stewart was confident his charge, who has a 2-2-0 record from six starts over soft or yielding turf, would not have a problem on Saturday with the likelihood of an off turf course.
   “He’ll be OK,” said Stewart. “The turf condition is definitely not a worry.”

Report to moderator   Logged
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 03:24:07 PM »

Thursday, October 27, 2005                   Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

Ace (IRE) – The 4yo son of Danehill cleared quarantine but didn’t venture out of Barn 62 on a chilly Thursday morning. Trainer Aidan O’Brien is due in New York this afternoon and is expected to send his Turf representative to the inner course Friday.

Azamour (IRE) – Trainer John Oxx has run only one horse in the Breeders’ Cup, but he got the money at Belmont Park in 1995 when Ridgewood Pearl took the Mile. His lone runner this year, Azamour, went to the inner course Thursday morning to work 4f in 54 flat. His rider, Michael Kinane, was up for the move.

“He just did a nice canter and he came down the straight a bit quicker the last two furlongs,” Oxx said. “He was clocked for four furlongs but I wouldn’t think the time would be making any headlines.

“The track was quite deep again today when you looked at the holes in the ground where they were going in,” he said. “Mick thought it was a bit worse than yesterday, but he was going a bit quicker. The horse couldn’t be doing any better.”

Bago (FR) – The Niarchos Family’s Turf runner worked 4f on the inner course Thursday morning in 53 2/5. His rider on Saturday, Thierry Gillet, was up for the move.

“He had a nice, strong canter,” said Niarchos racing manager, Alan Cooper. “Thierry was very pleased with him and so is Jonathan (Pease, trainer) with the way he traveled and has settled in.

Thierry said the ground is quite heavy. We’ll see how it dries out in the next 48 hours. ‘Good’ ground is best for him and is fair for everybody, but he’s won on soft ground and heavy ground so it isn’t a big issue.”

Better Talk Now – The defending Turf champion galloped two miles on wood chips at Fair Hill Training Center Thursday morning before being loaded in a van bound for Belmont Park, along with stablemates Shake the Bank, Film Maker and Funfair.

“Believe it or not I feel a sense of relief, now that they’re on the van,” trainer Graham Motion said. “You always worry about something going wrong all week, so it’s a relief to put them on the van. I’m excited about their chances.”

Motion is particularly excited that Better Talk Now will get the chance to run 1½ miles for the first time since winning the Turf at 27-1 last year at Lone Star Park.

“I think it probably is a plus, because he certainly likes the distance. I would have run him in the Sword Dancer at Saratoga, but the turf was so firm and I couldn’t get Shake the Bank in the race because it was an invitational,” said Motion, whose stable star benefited from his stablemate’s speedy presence to win the Grade 1 United Nations and Man ‘O War.

English Channel – Jockey John Velazquez isn’t aboard the biggest runner in the Turf, but the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic runner-up has plenty of what it takes to win.

“He’s just a little horse but he’s got such a big heart,” said the reigning Eclipse Award winning rider. “He tries so hard every time and gives you everything he has.”

Velazquez was among the crowd of spectators and horsemen trackside Thursday morning watching the workouts. English Channel was among the horses on track with trainer Todd Pletcher sending him for a 1 3/8-miles gallop.

The 3yo son of Smart Strike also joined his fellow Pletcher-trained Breeders’ Cup contestants for some paddock schooling, although he spent the least amount of time in the saddling class, getting worked up and sent back to barn ahead of his seven barnmates.

Fourty Niners Son – The 4yo colt exercised for the first time here Thursday for the Turf after arriving Tuesday from California. “He went for a trot around the training track,” said trainer Neil Drysdale after the drill under exercise rider Debra Biggs.

“He had just broken his maiden when I got him last year, and he has just continued to improve as he’s gone along,” said Drysdale of the winner of the Grade 1 Clement L. Hirsch Stakes in his last start at Santa Anita.

“I‘m not sure exactly how much he will like this ground. He’s probably better on firm ground, but he did run well in Chicago on soft going (a third-place finish in the Arlington Million).”

Felipe Gallarpo is the groom.

Gun Salute – The 3yo son of Military earned his way into the Turf by winning his last three starts, including the Grade 1 Secretariat at Arlington Park, but his trainer understands it won’t be easy for his colt in his first start against older horses.

“Sure, it’s a disadvantage. He’s a year younger than the rest of the horses,” Bill Mott said. “But it’s that time of year when your options are limited. We just want to take a shot.”

Gun Salute, who hasn’t been scheduled to work out this week, galloped 1½ miles on the main track, including an open gallop the last half-mile.

Laura’s Lucky Boy – The 4yo colt visited the paddock and galloped 1 5/8 miles on the main track under exercise rider Paul Nilluang after arriving from California Wednesday.

“I think he’s coming to his best race and I think the softer turf could help him,” said trainer Richard Mandella, who has won the Turf twice, with Kotashaan in 1993 and Johar (dead-heat) in 2003.

“Kotashaan and Johar were the two best grass horses I’ve ever had, and I obviously knew a lot more about them,” added Mandella. “I’m just getting to know this one.”  Laura’s Lucky Boy was transferred to Mandella in March.

Leprechaun Kid – The 6yo gray/roan gelding galloped under exercise rider Rhonda Nalley on the main track. “It was a good, strong mile-and-a-half gallop,” said trainer Mike Mitchell. “He will go on the turf tomorrow.”

Mitchell said he was pleased with post 12. “’I’m just happy the rabbit is inside of us,” said Mitchell in reference to Shake the Bank, a 99-to-1 longshot with speed. “This way he can just go.”

California co-owners Scott and Andy Anastasi, Jimmy Ukegawa and Landon Vaughn, who claimed the horse for $80,000 in July, were on hand to see the drill.

Shakespeare – Just because he trains a horse named “Shakespeare” don’t expect Bill Mott to wax poetic about his chances for victory in the Turf.

“The only Shakespeare I know is, ‘Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown,’ ” Mott quipped. “That is Shakespeare isn’t it?”

Mott definitely wore Thoroughbred racing’s crown in 1995, when he saddled Cigar for victory in the Classic at Belmont Park, his definitive Breeders’ Cup moment.

“Maybe we’re ready for a 10-year reunion and ready for another,” said Mott Thursday morning after sending Shakespeare to the track for a two-mile gallop over the main track.

Mott will saddle five horses during the Breeders’ Cup program, including the 3-1 morning-line favorite for the Turf in Shakespeare, but he has guarded himself against expecting too much from his strong contingent.

“I don’t have high expectations. My only hopes are they all run well,” Mott said.

Mott saddled Shakespeare’s sire, Theatrical, for a victory in the 1987 Turf at Hollywood Park, which was accomplished on a firm turf. Shakespeare may have family history against him if the Belmont Park turf is rated “yielding” or “soft” on Saturday. Neither Theatrical nor his offspring have enjoyed much success on “off” courses.

“I think I trained only one (offspring of) Theatrical that handled soft turf, Broadway Flyer,” said Mott, who also saddled Fraise for a Turf win in 1992 at Gulfstream.

Shake the Bank – Shake the Bank, who was entered in the Turf for the sole purpose of ensuring an honest pace that would benefit Better Talk Now, galloped two miles on the wood chips at Fair Hill Training Center Thursday morning.

The 5yo gelding, who vanned to Belmont Park in late morning, may be 99-1 in the morning line, but he could have a strong impact on the outcome of the 1½ miles Turf.

Shirocco (GER) – Trainer Andre Fabre’s wife, Elisabeth, supervised Shirocco’s canter on the main track Thursday morning and then had him school in the paddock.

Madame Fabre saddled both the stable’s runners at Lone Star Park last year, and as of now it is uncertain whether the trainer will be on hand Saturday.

Silverfoot – The Kentucky Cup Turf winner arrived from Kentucky on Wednesday morning and made his first appearance on the Belmont track, jogging before the break on Thursday. The 5 yo With Approval gelding is stabled in the barn of D. Wayne Lukas, former employer and mentor of trainer Dallas Stewart.

Silverfoot, who drew post seven of 13, will be ridden by Rafael Bejarano, who will be seeking his first Breeders’ Cup victory on Saturday. Last year, he had four mounts in his first Breeders’ Cup and his best finish was a third in the Juvenile Fillies aboard Runaway Model.

jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 10:27:09 PM »

Friday, October 28, 2005                        Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

Ace (IRE )— A non-winner this year, the Aidan O’Brien trainee showed he felt right at home on the Belmont turf course with a third-place finish in the Turf Classic, Oct 1.

After galloping on the turf course under Kieren Fallon Friday morning, trainer Aidan O’Brien reflected on the ground for his 4yo.

“In an ideal world he would like fast ground,” O’Brien said. “I don’t know how bad it’s going to be, but it’s not going to be anything like European soft ground. We’ve found in all his races when horses go by him, he always runs back at them.

“That’s why we’ve put the visor (modified blinkers) on him because he tends to lose concentration when he’s ‘there’ (in front) too long. He’s the most genuine horse in the world, but he does get a bit lazy.”

Azamour (IRE)—The Aga Khan’s 4yo galloped on the turf Friday morning with jockey Michael Kinane in the irons. Trainer John Oxx had expressed some concern earlier about the soft turf and the rider said it was a “justifiable concern.”

“We know Azamour operates on a quick surface very well,” Kinane said. “But we’re here and he’s well, and we have to take our chance. He had a slight setback around the time of the Arc  but he’s fresh and maybe the rest has done him good. If the track’s in as good shape as he is, I’d be very happy. It’s a deep race…Shirocco comes into it on soft ground, and Shakespeare on his home track is going to be tough.”

Bago (FR) — Niarchos Family racing manager Alan Cooper isn’t concerned with the condition of the Belmont turf course as Bago prepares for Saturday’s race. The 4yo galloped over the turf course Friday morning with jockey Thierry Gillet aboard.

“I haven’t been on it this morning but I will be later,” Cooper said. “It’s changing all the time. Thierry found it heavy yesterday but there are a lot of stories going around about whether it will dry out or not. I don’t think it will be a problem, and Thierry’s happy with him.”

Better Talk Now – The defending Turf champion galloped 1 1/4 miles on Belmont Park’s inner turf course Friday morning after arriving by van from the Fair Hill Training Center on Thursday.

“Everyone shipped well,” reported trainer Graham Motion, who also will be represented Saturday by Shake the Bank (Turf), Film Maker (Filly & Mare Turf) and Funfair (Mile). “If you’re going to run out of Fair Hill, your horses have to get used to the van.”

The memory of Better Talk Now’s victory in the last year’s Turf at Lone Star Park is still very fresh in Motion’s mind.

“It’s a little hard to describe, it was such an extraordinarily emotional day. To have that much success, I still have to pinch myself to believe it,” said Motion, who also saddled Film Maker for a second-place finish behind Ouija Board in the Filly & Mare Turf at Lone Star.

“Even today, to come here with three legitimate chances to win this year, you don’t expect days like this, you only hope for days like this.”

Better Talk Now, a 6yo gelding with more than $2.6 million in earnings, is expected to continue his career next year.

“As long as he stays sound, I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t,” said Motion. “Maybe, he can come back to run in the Turf again.”

Ramon Dominguez, who was aboard Better Talk Now for his 27-1 upset in last year’s Turf, will ride the son of Talkin Man.

English Channel – The field is deeper and the ground may be softer, but trainer Todd Pletcher doesn’t want anyone to lose track of his talented charge as he bids to be the sixth 3yo to win the Turf.

“I loved his last race in the (Joe Hirsch) Turf Classic because it showed he can handle the mile-and-a-half distance, and that he can deal with older horses,” said Pletcher. “Obviously this is a deeper field and there’s some awfully good horses, but if Shakespeare is the morning-line favorite, then we certainly belong.”

The wet autumn and the heavy rains early this week have buoyed the hopes of the many European raiders in the Turf, but Pletcher believes English Channel’s size – or lack of it – will help him in the bulky field.

“I don’t think (the soft ground) bothers him at all,” he said. “He’s a very light horse and historically light horses fare well over soft ground. We’ve had a lot of rain, but I envision the ground something in the neighborhood of good – yielding to good. It won’t be overly deep. But it can’t hurt him.”

Fourty Niners Son — Owner-breeder Tom Baxter, a cattleman from Nebraska, watched the 4yo colt jog one mile and gallop 1 1/8 miles on the training track under exercise rider Debra Biggs Friday for the Turf.

Baxter, a small-time owner, has had great luck with the broodmare Cindazzano, dam of Grade 1 winners Fourty Niners Son and Cindys Hero, fourth-place finisher in the 2000 Juvenile Fillies.

“We’re hoping that Fourty Niners Son does better than Cindys Hero,” said Baxter, then added kiddingly to trainer Neil Drysdale, “Neil said, ‘You don’t have to pay the training bills if you don’t win.’ ”

Baxter said he bought Cindazzano, now 15, for $40,000 at a Keeneland yearling sale. He added that he is turning over Son of Pegasus, a Fusaichi Pegasus colt out of Cindazzano about to turn 2, to Drysdale.

Gun Salute – Trainer Bill Mott expressed pleasure with Gun Salute’s 1 1/2-mile gallop over the main track Friday morning.

“He went really smooth and came home good,” Mott reported.

The 3yo colt, who has won three straight races, will face older horses for the first time in the Turf.

“He looks good. He’s a real tough horse,’ Mott said.” We hope he makes a good showing. It’ll be a good measuring stick for what we can expect from him next year.”

Cornelio Velasquez, who was aboard the son of Military for his victories in the American Derby, Secretariat and Hawthorne Derby, has the return mount.

Laura’s Lucky Boy — The 4yo colt went through the paddock and galloped 1 5/8 miles on the main track under exercise rider Paul Nilluang Friday. He became the only Breeders’ Cup hope for trainer Richard Mandella, owner Mercedes Stable and breeder Madeleine Paulson Pickens after the defection of stablemate Rock Hard Ten from the Classic.

Leprechaun Kid — “He was a gorilla this morning,” said trainer Mike Mitchell after the 6yo gelding drilled on the main track Friday under exercise rider Rhonda Nalley. “We galloped him a good mile and a half just to get a little edge off him. We took him to the paddock and schooled him.”

Shakespeare – The 4yo son of Theatrical will bring an undefeated record from five career races into the Turf.

“It’s not like he’s won 16 races in a row,” said Mott, who had saddled Cigar for a record-tying 16 straight victories in 1995-96, including the 1995 Breeders’ Cup Classic at Belmont Park. “There’s really no added pressure.”

Shakespeare, who came off the track “bucking and kicking” after a 1 1/2-mile gallop over the Belmont main track Friday morning, has given Mott every indication that he’s in peak condition.

“If he isn’t, he’s pretty close to it. We’ll see if his last race helped him or set him back,” said Mott, referring to Shakespeare’s hard-fought narrow victory over English Channel in the Turf Classic in his last start.

Mott’s primary concern about Shakespeare’s chances to win the Turf is the condition of the turf.

“I feel better about it today than I did five days ago,” said Mott, noting that neither Theatrical nor most of his offspring have performed their best on “off” footing.

Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey will return aboard the 3-1 morning-line favorite.

Shake the Bank – The 5yo gelding was entered in the Turf for the sole purpose of ensuring a fast pace to benefit the late-running Better Talk Now. Although Shake the Bank has no chance of winning Saturday, he has earned the complete respect of his trainer

“It’s hard to find a horse to fit the bill, and he’s done everything we’ve wanted him to do. I give the owners (Bushwood Stables) credit for finding him,” said trainer Graham Motion, noting that the owners had contacted a former trainer, Darrin Miller, who recommended they buy Shake the Bank out of his stable. “I also give (jockey) Tommy Turner credit. He knows what his job is, and he’s been able to get the job done so far.”

Shake the Bank, who galloped 1 1/2 miles on the main track Friday morning after arriving from the Fair Hill Training Center on Thursday, set a fast early pace to set up Better Talk Now’s victories in the United Nations Handicap and the Man o’ War.

Shirocco (GER)—Trainer Andre Fabre sent out the longest-priced winner in the history of the Breeders’ Cup (Arcangues, 1993 Classic, $269.20), but it would be no surprise to see Shirocco come down (in price) in this year’s Turf. European horsemen are widely singing the praises of the 4yo who, they say, will relish the soft turf.

Shirocco, who is fresh after only two races this year, galloped on the main track Friday morning under the supervision of the trainer’s wife, Elisabeth.

Silverfoot – The Kentucky Cup Turf winner went to the track before the break and jogged on the main track. The 5yo With Approval gelding, who has won three of five starts this year, will be ridden by Rafael Bejarano.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: