Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 30, 2014, 09:34:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Juvenile  (Read 2072 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 26, 2005, 11:06:35 PM »

Tuesday, October 25, 2005      Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

BREEDERS’ CUP JUVENILE NOTES

Bear Character – Bear Stables Ltd.’s Bear Character walked the shedrow at Barn 5 under exercise rider Diane Bergen on Tuesday morning, his first day at Belmont Park in preparation for Saturday’s Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.
   Trainer Dale Greenwood said the son of Dixie Union arrived at 6:30 Monday night and handled the van trip well from Woodbine in Toronto.
   Greenwood said he normally would have had Bear Character jog a day after shipping, but give the harsh weather conditions of the morning, he opted to stay dry Tuesday.
   “He will train Wednesday and Thursday and probably Friday,” said Greenwood of Bear Character, who needs one defection from the Juvenile field to make the race. If he does not get in the Juvenile, Bear Character would run in Friday’s Nashua.
   Jim McAleney has the riding assignment.

Brother Derek – The California colt wanted to go out and play, but the New York wind and rain Tuesday morning precluded that idea.
   “I wanted to get him out there and he wanted to go, but those wind gusts are a bit too much,” said trainer Dan Hendricks, on the scene at Belmont Park after flying in from his Southern California base Monday night. “He’s not used to this kind of weather and I’d hate to send him out there and get him spooked if things started flying around him. We’ll stay inside today.”
   Instead, Hendricks, a former Richard Mandella assistant, had the California-bred son of Benchmark tack walk the shedrow. He borrowed trainer Marcelo Polanco’s exercise rider, Ginny Jonssen, for the undercover saunter around Barn 5. Polanco, a neighbor of Hendrick’s on the California circuit, is in Barn 5, too, with his mare Island Fashion, a contender for the Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Distaff.
   Brother Derek has won two of his three starts in California, including the Norfolk Stakes at Santa Anita, but has never raced on an “off” track, a possibility as the Saturday Juvenile looms.
   “I trained him some on the ‘off’ last winter,” Hendricks noted. “He did fine with it. And he’s got the kind of foot that will dig right in and handle it well. I don’t think I’ll have any concerns about the track. It’s the competition that worries me.”

Dawn of War – Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s Breeders’ Futurity winner galloped 1½ miles at Churchill Downs, one day prior to shipping to Belmont Park. Should the homebred son of Catienus win on Saturday, it would be the first Breeders’ Cup win for the Ramseys and trainer Dale Romans. Last year, the same connections finished second in the Breeders’ Cup Turf and Breeders’ Cup Classic with Kitten’s Joy and Roses in May, respectively.
   “Everything’s good,” reported Romans from his Churchill base. He will arrive Wednesday with the horse.

Diabolical – Puglisi Stables and Steve Klesaris’ 2yo Diabolical remains second on the preference list to get into the Juvenile.

Dr. Pleasure – John Oxley’s colt walked the shedrow of Belmont Barn 31 on Tuesday, one day after working 5f. The son of Thunder Gulch out of champion Beautiful Pleasure is currently under the care of Donna Ward, wife and assistant of trainer John Ward. Oxley owned and the Wards trained Beautiful Pleasure, who won the 1999 Breeders’ Cup Distaff.
   “I’m trying to remember her as a 2 yo,” said Ward. “He’s more laid back, but he looks so much like her. He has a super disposition and is such a gentleman. She was more like ‘it’s my way or no way’.”

First Samurai – Bruce Lunsford and Lansdon Robbins III’s probable Breeders’ Cup Juvenile favorite First Samurai confined his morning activity to 40 minutes of walking under the shedrow at Barn 25 with exercise rider Lisa Sloan up.
- more -

2-2-2-2-2

The undefeated son of Giant’s Causeway ran his record to 4-for-4 with a victory in the slop in the Champagne at Belmont on Oct. 8, and had his final major work in the mud here Oct. 22, a bullet 5f in 59 under jockey Jerry Bailey.
   Trainer Frank Brothers, who will be saddling his first Breeders’ Cup starter since Arch in the talent-rich 1998 Classic, was scheduled to arrive later Tuesday from his home base of  Churchill Downs.

Henny Hughes – Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin looked at the wind and rain sweeping the Belmont Park track Tuesday and decided to keep Henny Hughes and the rest of his charges inside his headquarters at Barn 9.
   Henny Hughes walked under tack, with Fidel Santiago in the saddle.
   “We’ll gallop a mile and 3/8ths tomorrow if the track is good,” McLaughlin said. “If it’s sloppy, we’ll trot a mile and a half.
   “Each day we can gallop, we’ll gallop a mile and 3/8ths.”

Ivan Denisovich (IRE) – The son of Danehill is due in at 5 p.m. Tuesday after a flight from Ireland with trainer Aidan O’Brien’s Breeders’ Cup runners. He’ll be in quarantine for 24 to 36 hours.
   The colt won the July Stakes at Newmarket for his first stakes score, and last out on Sept. 30 finished fourth in the Middle Park Stakes at Newmarket. Kieren Fallon, his regular rider, has the mount again Saturday.

Jealous Profit, Stevie Wonderboy – The 2yo colts walked in Barn 9 Tuesday after working here Monday for the Juvenile. “Knock on wood, they ate up well, their legs were cold, and they looked fantastic,” said trainer Doug O’Neill during a cold rainy morning.
“I’m glad we got the works out of the way. We hope it clears up tomorrow, and they can both jog. Then they would both gallop Thursday and Friday.”
O’Neill was still shaking his head over the bullet 4f work in 46 by Del Mar Futurity winner Stevie Wonderboy. “Visually, he looked like he was going at a 12-second clip (for an eighth). I was amazed to look at my watch and see what he was doing.”

Leo (GB) – The son of Pivotal cantered 1½ miles around the training track under the watchful eye of trainer John Gosden Tuesday morning as he prepares for his first career start on the main track in Saturday’s Juvenile.
   “I think he’ll like the dirt,” Gosden said. “He’s got good action and a good foot for it, and he’s handled the Polytrack very well at home.”
   Leo has won two of six starts, including the Middle Park Stakes at Newmarket last out on Sept. 30, and his only poor effort came on a very soft turf track at Deauville in August.
   “It was a bog at Deauville, and he absolutely hated the track that day,” Gosden said. “He likes something firmer underfoot, and that’s why I think he’ll do well on dirt.”
   Gosden said he has not decided on a rider yet for Leo, who has had five jockeys in his six career starts.
   “I’ll sort that out later today,” the trainer said. “I just wanted to see what the track might be like Saturday.”

Private Vow – Mike McCarty’s Private Vow had an open gallop through the stretch at Belmont Park with exercise rider Luis Gracia up.
   Trainer Steve Asmussen was on hand after arriving from Louisville on Monday night.
   Private Vow, who will be ridden by John Velazquez for the first time, never has raced on an off track, but Asmussen didn’t think track condition would be a problem Saturday.
   “He has always been very fast and he’s very mature; big and strong,” Asmussen said. “He has handled everything well.”

Set Alight – The Kentucky-bred son of Hennessy, who has made all his starts in France for trainer Christiane Head-Marak, was out for a jog around the training track Tuesday morning.
   Set Alight, owned by Khalid Abdullah, comes into the Juvenile riding a two-race win streak. He won the Prix de Canouvert at Chantilly in September, and last out on Oct. 8 took the Prix Thomas Byron at Saint-Cloud.
   The Juvenile will be the first start on the main track for the colt, but his breeding (out of a Mr. Prospector mare) suggests the transition will not be a problem.
   Rafael Bejarano will be aboard in Saturday’s Juvenile.

- more -

3-3-3-3-3

Sorcerer’s Stone – Robert Sheppard’s undefeated Gulch colt galloped 1 ¾ miles at Churchill Downs and then boarded a flight to New York. Despite the bad weather in New York the Tex Sutton flight was on time and scheduled to arrive early this afternoon.
However, trainer Patrick Bryne was not so fortunate. His Delta flight was cancelled and he was not scheduled to leave Louisville until tonight.
   “He’s doing super,” said Bryne. “He’s really doing well.”

Stream Cat – The Patrick Biancone trainee galloped 1 ½ miles on the Polytrack at Turfway Park Tuesday, and the conditioner said the 2yo would breeze on the site of his Kentucky Cup Juvenile victory on Wednesday.
His four Cup starters will be flown to New York Thursday.
“Everything is going very good,” Biancone said.

Superfly – The son of Fusaichi Pegasus walked trainer Nick Zito’s shed row Tuesday morning following his final workout Monday in preparation for Saturday’s race.
The Robert V. LaPenta 2yo has trained sharply for the race, leading Zito to say, “He’s a horse coming into the race with a lot of hopes. His last race was a good one. It was in the slop and he backed out of it early, but then he came back to finish third, where could have been last.
“Sure, he got beat nine lengths by First Samurai, but he looks like a horse headed in the right direction. His [Monday] work was fabulous. Let’s hope he does something really good Saturday.
Zito pointed out that Superfly is a full brother to Belmont Stakes runner-up Andromeda’s Hero.

Report to moderator   Logged
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 04:26:59 PM »

Thursday, October 26, 2005                   Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

BESSEMER TRUST BREEDERS’ CUP JUVENILE NOTES

Brother Derek – The lone California-bred in Saturday’s Breeders’ Cup stretched his legs and inspected the paddock at Belmont Park Thursday morning as he moves forward toward his date in the Juvenile.

Trainer Dan Hendricks had Ginny Jonssen up for his colt’s mile and one-half tour of the main track at approximately 8:45 and is happy with the way his horse is coming up to the race.

Alex Solis rides Brother Derek on Saturday and they’ll break from post 13 in the 14-horse Juvenile field.

Dawn of War – The Breeders’ Futurity winner, who arrived at Belmont Park on Wednesday morning, stood in the gate and jogged 1 ½ miles on Thursday in his first appearance on the track.

“He doesn’t need much,” said trainer Dale Romans. “He’s hardly raced on the track he’s trained on.  He’s been all over the country and nothing gets to him. That kind of attitude is an advantage.”

The Churchill Downs-based Dawn of War made his first start at the Louisville track and has since made starts at four different tracks.

Dr. Pleasure – Trainer John Ward was on site Thursday morning after arriving from Kentucky to oversee the final preparations of his regally bred colt. The son of champion Thunder Gulch out of champion Beautiful Pleasure galloped 1 ¼ miles over the main Belmont track before the break with jockey Jose Santos aboard.

“This is the first time I’ve seen him in about a month,” said Ward. “(Wife and assistant trainer) Donna has been with him. He looks good, wonderful in fact. He couldn’t be doing any better. The 14 post will be just fine for him.”

First Samurai – Bruce Lunsford and Lansdon Robbins III’s First Samurai galloped a mile and a half on the main track at Belmont Park under exercise rider Lisa Sloan.   

Jerry Bailey has the call on First Samurai, who will break from post position nine.

First Samurai will represent the first Breeders’ Cup Juvenile starter for trainer Frank Brothers, who has saddled five Cup entrants, the last being Arch in the 1998 Classic. However, in 1990, he came close to having a Juvenile starter in Hansel who went on to win the 1991 Preakness and Belmont.

“Hansel had won the Arlington-Washington Futurity, which at that time was a Grade I,” Brothers said. “He was actually two days away from getting on the plane to the Breeders’ Cup, which was here at Belmont Park, and we discovered a small chip in his hind ankle, so we decided  to address it and take it out, which was the right thing to do. That’s why he didn’t run in the Breeders’ Cup.”

Can any comparison be made between Hansel and First Samurai?

“They are two different horses and it is hard to compare horses,” Brothers said. “First Samurai has accomplished more than Hansel  did. Hansel did win a Grade I and this horse has won two. They are two very precocious 2-year-olds. Anytime a 2-year-old wins a Grade I, that’s impressive. That’s hard to do.”

Henny Hughes – New trainer Kiaran McLaughlin said he has no doubts his speedy 2yo can get the distance Saturday.

“In his last race he ran a mile and this is just a mile and a sixteenth. There’s not that much difference,” he said Thursday. “And that 43 3 [43 3/5 opening half in the Champagne] we won’t have Saturday. Wherever we are it [the pace] will be more sensible. Some of that might have been due to the sloppy track, but as far as instructions to go, we won’t be giving them to our jock Saturday.”

The colt galloped 1 3/8 miles at Belmont Thursday and also stood in the gate.

Ivan Denisovich (IRE) – The son of Danehill cleared quarantine, but remained in his stall Thursday morning awaiting the arrival of trainer Aidan O’Brien, who is expected at Belmont later today.

The colt won the July Stakes at Newmarket for his first stakes score, and last out on Sept. 30 finished fourth in the Middle Park Stakes at Newmarket. Kieren Fallon, his regular rider, has the mount again Saturday.

Ivan Desinovich runs for the partnership of Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor, and Irving and Marjorie Cowan.

Jealous Profit, Stevie Wonderboy – The colts each galloped 1½ miles Thursday under exercise rider Antonio Romero for the Juvenile. “Both went very well,” said trainer Doug O’Neill. “They showed signs that they are acclimating well, they’re at home now. Antonio talked about how they’re getting used to switching leads at the proper time.”

Leo (GB) – With jockey Frankie Dettori aboard, the Pivotal colt breezed a half-mile in 47 2/5 on the main track Thursday morning in preparation for his first career try on dirt.

“I told Frankie to take him extremely wide,” said trainer John Gosden, “and he was timed from the five-eighths to the one-eighth. He breezed behind two Christophe Clement horses and both Frankie and the horse came back covered with dirt.

“I think he’ll do well on the dirt,” Gosden said. “He’s got a good foot for it, and he’s handled the Polytrack very well at home.”

Gosden said he was not pleased with the draw, which has Leo starting from post three.

“I was disappointed with the draw,” the trainer said. “I would have preferred to have him drawn on the outside.”

Leo has won two of six starts, including the Royal Lodge Stakes at Newmarket last out on Sept. 30, and his only poor effort came on a very soft turf track at Deauville in August.

“I think he’ll stay the distance Saturday because he’s already had a stiff mile in the Royal Lodge,” Gosden said. “He might outstay some of the American runners.”

Private Vow – The Belmont Futurity winner galloped Thursday morning in preparation for the Juvenile.  Trainer Steve Asmussen, who travels frequently throughout the country to check on his various divisions, is due back at Belmont Park on Friday.

Set Alight – The Kentucky-bred son of Hennessy, who has made all his starts in France for trainer Christiane Head-Marak, was out for a gallop around the training track Thursday morning.

Set Alight, owned by Khalid Abdullah, comes into the Juvenile riding a two-race win streak. He took the Prix de Canouvert at Chantilly in September, and last out on Oct. 8 took the Prix Thomas Byron at Saint-Cloud. Both races were at one mile.

The Juvenile will be the first start on the main track for the colt, but his breeding (out of the Mr. Prospector mare Proflare) suggests the transition will not be a problem.

Rafael Bejarano will be aboard in Saturday’s Juvenile.

Sorcerer’s Stone – Trainer Patrick Byrne continued to show confidence in this undefeated Gulch colt as the juvenile galloped 1 ¾ miles in his first trip to the Belmont track since arriving from Kentucky on Wednesday. The last time Byrne brought an undefeated juvenile to the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, he won the race with Favorite Trick, who was named champion 2-year-old and Horse of the Year.

“I really think he’s going to run better than his 12-to-1 odds,” said Byrne. “He’s a straight forward colt to train. Nothing seems to bother him.”

When asked if there were any comparisons between this colt and Favorite Trick, Byrne replied, “He’s a Derby horse. Favorite Trick was not.”

Stream Cat – The Patrick Biancone trainee, who worked 4f in 48 2/5 at Turfway Park Wednesday, walked under tack at the Kentucky track Thursday morning and then boarded a plane to New York, according to assistant Pierre Bellocq.

Bellocq said Biancone flew with Stream Cat and stablemates Angara (GB) (Filly & Mare Turf) and Gorella (FR) and that they should arrive at Belmont Park about 2:30 p.m. They will be stabled in Barn 17.

Superfly – The youngster schooled in the gate and galloped 1 ½ miles Thursday morning as his training moved forward toward Saturday’s date in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile for trainer Nick Zito and owner Robert V. LaPenta.

As for the colt’s drawing of the rail for the race, Zito said, “You’d prefer to be outside, in the clear, especially with a big 2-year-old. Hopefully, he’ll get a little room to work.”

jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 11:23:30 PM »

Friday, October 28, 2005                        Contact: Breeders’ Cup Notes Team (516) 328-6017

BESSEMER TRUST BREEDERS’ CUP JUVENILE NOTES

Brother Derek – The California-bred colt was out in the crisp Friday morning air at 9 for a one-time-around gallop of the big Belmont strip. He also walked through the paddock both before and after the exercise under the guidance of exercise rider Ginny Jonssen.

Trainer Dan Hendricks, who has been on the scene since Monday, oversaw his charge’s activities leading up to his date in the Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. The conditioner noted that his horse was doing well and also stated that he didn’t think he’d need any paddock schooling time in the afternoon.

“He’s good with that (the paddock),” the horseman said. “We won’t need to do anything extra with him.”

California rider Alex Solis has the call on the son of Benchmark Saturday.

Dawn of War – Ken and Sarah Ramsey’s Juvenile hopeful went the main Belmont track Friday morning for a 1 ½ -mile gallop following the break and “picked it up down the lane” in his final preparations before Saturday’s race.

“He’s doing good,” said trainer Dale Romans. “He’s been training good, so we’ll just have to see if he’s good enough on Saturday.”

Dr. Pleasure – The John Oxley homebred jogged 1 ½ miles over the main Belmont track on Friday morning.

“He’s doing good,” said Donna Ward, wife and assistant of trainer John Ward. “There’s not much else we can do now. He’s ready.”

First Samurai – Bruce Lunsford and Lansdon Robbins III’s undefeated First Samurai visited the paddock and then galloped a mile before the renovation break under exercise rider Lisa Sloan.

After the morning’s activity, Hall of Famer Jerry Bailey stopped by to look in on his Juvenile mount. Bailey counts three Juvenile winners among his record 14 victories in the Breeders’ Cup – Boston Harbor in 1996 at Woodbine, Answer Lively in 1998 at Churchill Downs and Macho Uno in 2000 at Churchill Downs.

The Frank Brothers trainee will break from post position nine.

Henny Hughes – What does the Hennessy speedster have to do to win the Juvenile?

“I’d say he needs to slow down the first half and not get the 43 3/5 (the time he chased in his last race),” McLaughlin said. “I’m going to leave a lot up to (jockey) Edgar (Prado).

“He doesn’t need to be on the lead, but he will be forwardly placed.

“He needs to run his race, run well, not too fast early, and maybe he needs First Samurai to not run his best race.”

The colt galloped 1 3/8 miles.

Ivan Denisovich (IRE) – The son of Danehill galloped around the Belmont main track for the first time Friday morning as he prepares for his first try on the dirt in Saturday’s Juvenile. Jockey Kieren Fallon was aboard for the exercise.

Trainer Aidan O’Brien said he feels the colt’s running style and pedigree dictate giving him a chance in the Juvenile.

“He’s always wanted fast ground,” O’Brien said, “and dirt horses need to handle fast ground. He’s always showed enough pace on fast going that we thought he would get seven furlongs or a mile with no problem. And his dam ran very well on the dirt.”

Ivan Denisovich is out of the Kris S. mare Hollywood Wildcat, winner of the 1993 Distaff at Santa Anita .

The colt won the July Stakes at Newmarket for his first stakes score, and last out on Sept. 30 finished fourth in the Middle Park Stakes at Newmarket.

Ivan Denisovich runs for the partnership of Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor, and Irving and Marjorie Cowan, who raced Hollywood Wildcat.

Jealous Profit/Stevie Wonderboy — The 2yo colts each galloped 1 ½ miles on the main track Friday under exercise rider Antonio Romero for the Juvenile.

Jealous Profit, a maiden, will try to score the second upset victory in the race in as many years for majority owner J. Paul Reddam, who won last year with longshot Wilko, an English import. Stevie Wonderboy will be the first Breeders’ Cup starter for Merv Griffin, scheduled to arrive in New York on Friday night.

“I’m pumped!” said trainer Doug O’Neill. “I love the way the race shapes up. On paper it looks like a race a closer can win. A little luck is all we ask for.”

Leo (GB) – The son of Pivotal galloped once around the training track and then schooled in the gate Friday morning.

“He breezed yesterday (4f in 47 2/5),” said trainer John Gosden, “so he had an easy morning today. He had an easy gallop and then stood in the gate.”

Leo has won two of six starts, including the Royal Lodge Stakes at Newmarket last out on Sept. 30, and his only poor effort came on a very soft turf track at Deauville in August.

Gosden thinks Leo will take to the dirt in his first try because he’s been training well over the Polytrack in England. The trainer also feels the distance will be no problem for the colt. Frankie Dettori has the mount.

Private Vow – Mike McCarty’s Private Vow galloped after the break on Friday at Belmont Park for trainer Steve Asmussen.

The Juvenile will be Private Vow’s first attempt at 1 1/16 miles.

“With his previous race and his pedigree, the distance should be no question for him…just the company,” said Asmussen.  “He has naturally matured throughout the year.  After his last race, we decided to try him in the Breeders’ Cup.”

Asmussen refers to Private Vow’s nine-length romp in the 7f Futurity at Belmont on Sept. 17 and the fact that the colt is by Broken Vow, a winner of graded stakes at route distances.

A winner of three of four races, Private Vow will be ridden for the first time by John Velazquez.  The colt marks Asmussen’s fifth Breeders’ Cup starter.

Set Alight – The Kentucky-bred son of Hennessy, who has made all his starts in France for trainer Criquette Head-Maarek, made his trainer happy with a 4f fast gallop on the main track Friday morning.

“I was pleased with the way he trained this morning,” said Head-Maarek. “He went round the bend very nicely.”

The trainer, who is looking for her first Breeders’ Cup score, said she and the owner, Prince Khalid Abdullah, thought the colt deserved a chance to run on the dirt.

“We have the All Along track at Chantilly,” Head-Maarek said. “It’s a one-mile dirt oval just like an American track. The way he’s been galloping on that track decided it for me to come to the Breeders’ Cup. He’s worked well on the dirt, which shows he can handle it.

“My only concern is will he have enough early speed to stay with the American horses. I’ve watched the tapes of all the U.S. races, and this is a good lot of 2-year-olds. But, of course, if you don’t try, you can’t win, so we’re here.”

Set Alight will be ridden for the first time by Rafael Bejarano in the Juvenile.

“Prince Khalid wanted an American jockey,” the trainer said, “because they know how to ride on the dirt track. My only instructions to him will be to let the colt get on stride and finish up well.”

Set Alight, out of the Mr. Prospector mare Proflare, comes into the Juvenile riding a two-race win streak. He took the Prix de Canouvert at Chantilly in September, and last out on Oct. 8 took the Prix Thomas Byron at Saint-Cloud. Both races were at one mile.

Sorcerer’s Stone – The undefeated Arlington-Washington Futurity winner galloped 1 ¾ miles over a fast main Belmont track on Friday morning and did nothing to dissuade trainer Patrick Byrne’s overwhelming confidence in his starter.

“He trained well this morning and schooled beautifully in the paddock yesterday,” said Byrne. “Everything’s a go, we’re ready. I’m very confident in him, but if we don’t win, it won’t be the end of the world.”

Byrne has been saying all week that he was pleasantly surprised that the colt developed into a Breeders’ Cup starter, but his main goal is the Kentucky Derby.

Stream Cat – “Stream Cat would have to be an extreme cat to win,” trainer Patrick Biancone joked of his 30-1 shot, who jogged 1 ¼ miles Friday after shipping to Belmont from Turfway Park the previous day.

“He’s in good form,” Biancone added. “We’re here to enjoy the races. It’s the biggest race day in the world. My clients are happy to be here. If we win, we’ll celebrate. If we don’t win, we’ll celebrate.”

Biancone said the Turfway Park Polytrack he trained his Breeders’ Cup horses on this month is the shape of the future. “It’s a lovely surface. The horses enjoy it. In 20 years, everybody will be using it,” he said.

Superfly -- While he watched his 2yo colt in his 1 1/2 mile gallop on the training track, two-time Kentucky Derby-winning trainer Nick Zito couldn’t help but think about how the son of Fusaichi Pegasus might take him to the Churchill Downs fixture in 2006.

“Good two-year-old colts will do that to a trainer, he said. He did offer a warning as well: “It can be torture, but we’ll take it.”

To this point, his third-place finisher in the Champagne Stakes has the trainer believing that he’s moving in the right direction. “Now we just need him to move forward again and that will make us feel even better.”

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: