Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

January 30, 2015, 10:00:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FG Barn Notes: Friday, January 30  (Read 29 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: Today at 09:32:47 PM »

·        Gantry Likely to Retire
·        Bourbon Cowboy Points to Black Gold

GANTRY LIKELY TO RETIRE

Eleven-time winner and Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots darling Gantry is likely to be retired, according to conditioner Ron Faucheux.  The 8-year-old gelded son of Pulpit was last seen winning a 5½-furlong turf allowance at the New Orleans oval on Dec. 11.  Scratched from the $60,000 Bonapaw Stakes on Jan. 3 with an ankle issue, he has not been on the worktab since his victory.

“We’re leaning toward retiring him,” Faucheux said.  “He has an enflamed ankle joint.  He’s sound on it and we could give him some time and bring him back, but he’s 8-years-old and we may just play it safe.”

Owned by Brittlyn Stable, Gantry has recorded seven stakes wins, including five at Fair Grounds.  A two-time winner of the Thanksgiving Handicap, his biggest victory thus far was in the Grade II $400,000 Smile Sprint Handicap in July of 2012.  He has a career record of 11-6-3 from 27 starts, a 6-4-0 record from 11 Fair Grounds starts and was a contestant in the Grade I $1,500,000 Breeders’ Cup Sprint in 2012.  If retired, he does so with $848,331 in career earnings.

BOURBON COWBOY POINTS TO BLACK GOLD

Holmark Stables IV’s $50,000 Sugar Bowl Stakes runner-up Bourbon Cowboy is likely to point for the $60,000 Black Gold Stakes on Feb. 28, according to trainer Richie Scherer.  The son of turf miler Cowboy Cal has yet to try the grass, but attempted to do when entered in a 5½-furlong allowance last week.  Ultimately victorious in the rained-off Friday Jan. 23 event, the multiple stakes-placed charge will now focus on a return to stakes company.

“More than likely we will look at the Black Gold,” Scherer confirmed.  “Stretching out is a big concern.  He isn’t built like a two-turn horse, but I think he will be okay because he has a good mind.  I’ve had horses in the past who were sprinters who were ale to stretch out on the turf.  Breeding-wise he should like it.  He seems to run on everything so far – dirt, mud, Polytrack.”

Scherer also said that his talented turf filly Compelling Case is doing well and is possible for the $60,000 Bayou Handicap on Feb. 21.

“I’ll nominate her for the Bayou,” he said.  “There’s an allowance race that hopefully will go before it.  I don’t want to go in there unless it comes up light.  It’s encouraging that she ran so well against Notte d’Oro – she caught a ‘now’ filly who is getting better.  She’s ultra-consistent.”

A recent winner of an allowance event on Jan. 8, the Team Block homebred daughter of Successful Appeal was a game second to Notte d’Oro on Dec. 18 in a Fair Grounds allowance one race prior to that charge winning the $60,000 Marie G. Krantz Memorial on Jan. 17.  Notte d’Oro is confirmed to be pointing toward the Bayou for trainer Mike Stidham.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: