Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 02, 2014, 12:11:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT'S WITH THE PLANE LANDING ON THE TRACK AT BALMORAL?  (Read 15600 times)
tonymfan

« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2006, 10:33:32 AM »

The Chicago Air & Water Show has a pretty good safety record if I recall, but does the Oshkosh show, the one in Germany, or the one in Utah ?  Pilots and fans have been killed in some of these nationwide shows due to pilot error.  Lucky Lindy Oosting did a great job of landing and taking off the next day and wasn't "stunt flying"; he was all business.  Had there been a malfunction or pilot error/ disablement, tragedy could have occurred and I'm certain Balmoral isn't open to fans who wish to avoid traffic on the Dan Ryan Expy. and pop in for the card.  Oosting is an independent contractor (catch driver) and not an actual track employee, so the landing should be allowed for all persons with planes that want to save time in these hectic travel times, no ?  I can be at the security gate at Palwaukee, have a Cessna or King Air II revved up, get clearance to taxi and takeoff, and make it to Crimoral in 20 or so minutes, thereby saving time in traffic and construction zones.  Sounds good !  Pencil it in, and anyone who wishes a ride, call 1-800-R-E-C-K-L-E-S-S.   Wink   trotter  TC

Points noted.  Roll Eyes Be sure to let us know what the FAA says on your callback.
Report to moderator   Logged
tonymfan

« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2006, 10:37:38 AM »

Will Tony La Russa and Dave Duncan be landing at Clark and Addison today??

City street not = private property.

I wish someone who is a GA pilot would get on here and tell us what the rules really are about landing on private property in an area like Crete. Farmers don't need FAA clearance to land in their fields for instance. Many small airports run entirely on pilot vision and decision with no controller at all.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2006, 10:40:14 AM »

Let us know what the FAA says when you get your callback. We know you and your clubhouse home boys didn't call in anonymous complaints did you.
Admittedly, a call was placed that night to the FAA hotline in Reston,VA.  411 was kind enough to provide the number.  The non-emergency v.m. box was full, so a call was placed again on Monday.  Just like how you, Breth, and OBSEENER enjoy your cause celebre anonymity on BTW, so does the FAA enjoy anonymous tipsters.  At least 5 people were given the number and said they were going to call and complain.  I don't know if they toughed it out until Monday when assuredly the FAA emptied out their full v.m. box, but I know of at least one person who did follow up.  This seems fair to me, n'est pas ?   trotter  TC
Double Joker

« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2006, 10:40:32 AM »

I was just kidding TMFAN...11 pages of really talking Chicago Harness RACING!

Is OOsting starting his own forum  Airport Hanger to Wire? flag
tonymfan

« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2006, 10:42:42 AM »

This thread has me so pumped up I'm going downtown to watch scary airplanes! oooooh!

Hope there's no spiders on the beach.  thumbs down
RDUKE

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2006, 12:09:51 PM »

Has anybody *** about the Blue Angels buzzing Wrigley during this weekends series?  Maybe baseball has better fans.
Evan Sabove

« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2006, 12:24:28 PM »

I heard someone saw a spider at the track last week. They scare the crap out of me! Can I ever go to the track again?

Did track management warn you there was going to be a spider there?
TC

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2006, 12:28:20 PM »

Has anybody *** about the Blue Angels buzzing Wrigley during this weekends series?  Maybe baseball has better fans.
Did the Blue Angels land at Wrigley or even buzz the rafters.  Bad analogy - the kind I'd expect from a C- student at a 3rd rate state school.   trotter  TC

HOPE ALL THOSE FLEAS AND TICKS PLAGUING THE LIVESTOCK TENTS DIDN'T MIGRATE TO YOUR MODEST SLEEPING QUARTERS.  THE SUITE AT THE SKY HARBOR INN WAS IMPECCABLE PER USUAL, THOUGH I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO STAY AS LONG AS LIKED DUE TO BUSINESS.
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2006, 12:54:39 PM »

RDUKE:

Being a law student, I have the utmost respect for you; however, you are missing the point of this entire thread.  Maybe I'm in the minority here, but had Balmoral given any kind of fair warning that a small aircraft was going to land on the track, I for one, would have never went to the track. 

Call me chicken-shit, but I don't like airplanes or anything about them.  That is all I'm trying to say here.  I thank God that Oosting landed safely and all went well, but I can't believe that you don't see the danger and absurdity in allowing this.  As Buffalo Boy pointed out, what good came from this stunt?  When you weigh all of this out, the negatives far outweighed the positives so disproportionately that it simply was not worth taking a chance.

I'm telling you the truth; I was very uncomfortable when I first learned of this silly stunt.  All I ever said was the very least Balmoral could have done was given fair warning and allow the fans to decide if they wanted to be around to see such nonsense.

You should fully understand yourself about taking risks that have no meaningful value whatsoever.  All I am saying is for Christ Sake, next time let us know ahead of time so we can make up our own mind. 

One last thing, when the Blue Angels flew over Wrigley Field yesterday, it was a well planned event and those going to the ballpark knew what to expect.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that a small aircraft would be landing at Balmoral Park on a Saturday evening with the grandstand full of children and adults.  This is plain negligence and disregard for patrons of the establishment. 

Tonymfan makes a very valid point.  He was leaving to head downtown to watch scary airplanes.  He knows what he is doing and fully expects to see scary airplanes.  I didn't expect to see any kind of airplane landing on a racetrack.  Tonymfan cleared this up perfectly.  There is nothing wrong with going to watch the air and water show or any type of dangerous activity so long as you know what to expect and are willing to assume that risk.  I don't take life in a lax state of mind, and I don't appreciate how Balmoral put not only me, but also a grandstand full of people at risk.

Like I said in a previous post.  If were going to allow airplanes to land at the track, why not have three or four dump trucks filled with toxic and hazardous waste material drive around the racetrack in between races so we can ingest the fumes to understand what toxic waste smells like?  Get my point?  I always said that you don't have to die to understand what its like to be dead!  Think outside the box on this one.  Was it really worth all of the assumed risk and liability for this nonsensical move by Balmoral?  I think not!  Have a great afternoon.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 12:57:59 PM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
RDUKE

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2006, 01:00:37 PM »

Did the Blue Angels land at Wrigley or even buzz the rafters.  Bad analogy - the kind I'd expect from a C- student at a 3rd rate state school.   trotter  TC

HOPE ALL THOSE FLEAS AND TICKS PLAGUING THE LIVESTOCK TENTS DIDN'T MIGRATE TO YOUR MODEST SLEEPING QUARTERS.  THE SUITE AT THE SKY HARBOR INN WAS IMPECCABLE PER USUAL, THOUGH I DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO STAY AS LONG AS LIKED DUE TO BUSINESS.

Yeah....C-student alright.  Bullsh*t lie - the kind everyone expects from TC.  What's with the "MODEST SLEEPING QUARTERS" remark? I stayed at the Northfield Suites and have for years....what are you talking about?  I would like to meet you sometime so you can call me a "C-student" to my face.

P.S.  I agree that there was risk involved, but I believe that 99% of the risk was to those within the "MODEST QUARTERS" of the aircraft.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:02:51 PM by RDUKE » Report to moderator   Logged
eljay

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2006, 01:04:28 PM »

Please stop using " HAVE WENT" with "I am a law student," It looks like you really aint.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2006, 01:08:32 PM »

Yeah....C-student alright.  Bullsh*t lie - the kind everyone expects from TC.  What's with the "MODEST SLEEPING QUARTERS" remark? I stayed at the Northfield Suites and have for years....what are you talking about?  I would like to meet you sometime so you can call me a "C-student" to my face.

P.S.  I agree that there was risk involved, but I believe that 99% of the risk was to those within the "MODEST QUARTERS" of the aircraft.
Ok toughguy hillbilly.  Squeal louder !  LOL  SIU is for pig farmers too dumb to get into private school - LOL.  Duh, I'm a redneck wannabe fancified law guy.  Duh.  LOL  When you hang your shingle, will it be over the chicken coop or over the outhouse ?  LMFAO   trotter  TC
DLeestable

« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2006, 01:11:32 PM »

Joe,

Come on Joe....you drove horses, but an airplane landing across from the grandstand would scare you?  Don't come out during the day then, because there happens to be some old famer that flies one of those one man little planes over the track a lot.

off stride

« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2006, 01:14:38 PM »

i for one cant wait to see the blue angels all land on the bmlp backstretch tonight... at the same time!!
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2006, 01:19:13 PM »

RDUKE:

If I were to agree with your above comment about the 99% risk being directly applied to the pilot and passengers of the aircraft, which, by the way, I'm certainly not going to contend to, however, why should a 1% risk factor be placed on my shoulders as an innocent patron of that establishment of which I was going there for the sole purpose of what the establishment holds a license for…to conduct harness racing?  I don't believe that Balmoral has an avaition license that allows this kind of stuff, and if they do, I would certainly hope they let me know when the runways are going to be in use for landing aircrafts in the very near future.  

I didn't ask for any risk, nor did I assume subjectibility to it by visiting a racetrack, that, without warning, decided to allow a dangerous, life-threatening act to take place on the premises just to save their own ass.

Sorry, but 1% is too much of a risk for me when it comes to this type of dangerous nonsense.  It's just not worth it, in my opinion.  Have a good day.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:25:55 PM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
RDUKE

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2006, 01:20:01 PM »

Ok toughguy hillbilly.  Squeal louder !  LOL  SIU is for pig farmers too dumb to get into private school - LOL.  Duh, I'm a redneck wannabe fancified law guy.  Duh.  LOL  When you hang your shingle, will it be over the chicken coop or over the outhouse ?  LMFAO   trotter  TC

Never heard this from TC before..blah..blah blah.  I believe if you would ask someone who knows me they would say I am far from a hillbilly.  However, I am not going to stoop to this level of nonsense, especially when the PGA Championship is on.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2006, 01:24:16 PM »

RDUKE:

If I were to agree with your above comment about the 99% risk being directly applied to the pilot and passengers of the aircraft, which, by the way, I'm certainly not going to contend to that, why should a 1% risk factor be placed on my shoulders as an innocent patron of that establishment of which I was going there for the sole purpose of what the establishment holds a license for…to conduct harness racing?  

I didn't ask for any risk, nor did I assume subjectibility to it by visiting a racetrack, that, without warning, decided to allow a dangerous, life-threatening act to take place on the premises just to save their own ass.

Sorry, but 1% is too much of a risk for me when it comes to this type of dangerous nonsense.  It's just not worth it, in my opinion.  Have a good day.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

Joe D., didn't all your years in the sport before joining the educates of America teach you not to argue with dirtfarmers like R- blast a Dukee ?  LMFAO  RDUKE isn't fit to wash Dirty Dave's piss stains out of his shorts.  LMFAO He's probably studying under Mutton Chop Otis in stooping, stealing, and checking of losing tickets - LMFAO   trotter  TC
Evan Sabove

« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2006, 01:24:52 PM »

I'm still trying to figure out when America became so sissyfied? flag
off stride

« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2006, 01:42:58 PM »

i am still trying to finger out how someone fails gym?
DLeestable

« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2006, 01:46:01 PM »

I can't believe all this over a small plane landing at a track.  You are in more danger driving down 294 than you were in the grandstand of Balmoral Park.  I didn't see anyone running for their lives, in fact most were outside watching, and even clapping when he landed.  All I can say, is Mountain....Molehill......
burton

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2006, 01:49:39 PM »

I second that Donna.
Actually I think eating a hot dog in the grandstand is more dangerous.
off stride

« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »

take me to tony packo's for a chili dog or two and i'll show you what real danger at the track is all about
TC

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2006, 01:54:24 PM »

I second that Donna.
Actually I think eating a hot dog in the grandstand is more dangerous.
Agreed 100 %.  I had a pigeon wing or two in the clubhouse last night and my colon is still sending me hate e-mails form down below - LOL.   trotter  TC
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »

Evan:

I think America became very speculative of Aviation due to the 9-1-1 terrorist attacks, but of course, that’s just my opinion.  For myself, I've been on an airplane about five times in my lifetime (mostly when I was a kid).  I am fearful of heights and airplanes.  It's not something that I'm exactly proud of, I just don't like airplanes or anything associated with them.

As far as your statement, my guess would be that 9-1-1 made American's reevaluate the entire aviation industry, noting that aircrafts could be used to demolish the Twin Towers like they did. It makes me shudder to think what would have happened if Mr. Oosting had encountered any type of mechanical, or physically emotional trouble last Saturday.  That is why I continue to say that this stunt was simply not worth taking that kind of chance.  But one thing for sure, the Johnston’s gambled with our lives by allowing this because none of them were anywhere near Balmoral on that night.  LOL They stayed far away once they realized how stupid this really was.  I guess they were thinking along the same lines as me, better to be safe then sorry. Have a good day.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras  

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
burton