Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 08:36:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stan Bergstein writes: "EPO CHEATERS CAN NOW BE NAILED"  (Read 4435 times)
vegas jay

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2006, 11:11:16 PM »

Here are a few excerpts from the story on the development of a new test to nail EPO cheaters, written by longtime harness racing columnist Stan Bergstein (the entire article appears in Thursday's editions of DAILY RACING FORM and can also be viewed on DRF's website...www.drf.com...)

"...There is now a test for EPO --- the drug itself, not just for the antibodies created by it --- and it has already produced results..."

"...The test was developed by the Pennsylvania Equine Toxicology and Research Laboratory (PETRL)..."

"...PETRL has become the first laboratory to directly confirm the presence in horses of erythropoietin (EPO) and darbepoetin alfa --- substances that increase the production of red blood cells. According to people on the backstretch, EPO has become the drug of choice because it is difficult to detect and is believed to increase aerobic function and endurance..."

"...They were able to develop a brand new method of breaking apart the protein of the human EPO molecules into smaller fractions called peptides, thus allowing positive identification of the EPO itself, using very sensitive liquid chromatographic tandem mass spectrometry techonology..."

"...'We have optimized the method, and today we are able to make the positive EPO-darbepoetin alfa identification, NOT JUST the presence of antibodies that may be produced in the horse by the administration of human EPO to horses,' said Dr. Larry Soma, the veteran and highly regarded equine research director at the New Bolton Center of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine..."

"...Asked if he thought the test would stand up against court challenges, Soma's toxicology lab director Dr. Cornelius Uboh quickly answered, 'No doubt. They can send these tests anywhere in the world for verification'..."

"...So the scientists have caught up with the crooks..."

"...The first example came in Ontario, where the pacesetting Ontario Racing Commission...asked if it could send samples there for verification of its own positive tests for EPO. The tests confirmed what Ontario had found, and Ontario quickly suspended trainer Todd Gray and is recommending a 10-year suspension and $100,000 fine. A journeyman trainer until two years ago, Gray rose in the ranks with the pacer Rair Earth, a winner of $1.3 million and one of three of Gray's horses that tested positive for EPO..."

"...The willingness of the Ontario Commission and laboratory to send samples to a laboratory outside their normal testing protocol, and to bear the considerable price of the sophisticated new testing, is an example of how racing can keep up with drugs that are expensive and difficult to detect..."

"...Unfortunately, it is not the end of the trail. The cheaters will not stop because of this latest discovery. They are likely, however, to stop using EPO, the scourge of the sport in recent months..."
Report to moderator   Logged
BOBBY ORR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 11:21:41 PM »

Who cares its to late there already onto the next drug.

Bobby
Evan Sabove

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 06:35:08 AM »

If the test can not determine the time of administration I would like to see how it could stand up in court. thumbs down
burton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:04:28 AM »

Holborn Hanover goes 1:46 4/5 with no help?
I don't think so.
On the day where our sport gets some attention, a fraud like Bill Robinson goes into the record books with this horse?
Disgusting!
the DailyDaley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 09:26:18 AM »

Once again the GREAT EVAN SABOVE makes his usual comment:

"If the test can not determine the time of administration I would like to see how it could stand up in court".

And again, Evan never "thinks out of the box".

1. If the horse tests positive for EPO or Aranesp than that speaks for itself.

2. If a trail can be established, then the race commission should step in and act accordingly.

3. If a trail CANNOT be confirmed, then that the horse in question goes on an EXTENDED VACATION, let's say 6 months. No trainer bill (meaning the current trainer does not get paid) and the owner does not have the opportunity to race to make money and also has to pay a turn out fee.

This would be implemented by track management as a way to control future "POSITIVES".

4. All horses should be tested. Especially claimed ones, at sales or auctions and also those "FUNNY TRANSFERS".

Think about it EVAN. Just Once.  dude
Evan Sabove

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 09:55:53 AM »

Thought about it.  Still thinking about it, outside of the box and outside of your head up your ass.  So how about you uncork it from the rectal area and think about the damage that could happen to the lively hood of many if the time of administration is not determined.
tonymfan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 10:01:24 AM »

Thought about it.  Still thinking about it, outside of the box and outside of your head up your ass.  So how about you uncork it from the rectal area and think about the damage that could happen to the lively hood of many if the time of administration is not determined.

The drug itself is only in the system a short time isn't it? Does its job and eliminates like any drug.

The argument on antibodies was they could stay in the system a long time so there was no way to determine time of administration. Don't think it will be the same problem with the drug.

NJ Horseman will correct me if I'm wrong.  Grin
Evan Sabove

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 10:05:49 AM »

Once again the GREAT EVAN SABOVE makes his usual comment:

"If the test can not determine the time of administration I would like to see how it could stand up in court".

And again, Evan never "thinks out of the box".

1. If the horse tests positive for EPO or Aranesp than that speaks for itself.

It does?  How?  Trainer responsibility?  How far can this actually be carried?  If administration time is not established why would any trainer agree to take on a horse that has not been under his/her control for at least six months?

2. If a trail can be established, then the race commission should step in and act accordingly.

So what exactly are we arguing about?  A trail is not established by confirmation of a presence.  A trail is trail!

3. If a trail CANNOT be confirmed, then that the horse in question goes on an EXTENDED VACATION, let's say 6 months. No trainer bill (meaning the current trainer does not get paid) and the owner does not have the opportunity to race to make money and also has to pay a turn out fee.

Again I ask.........Why buy or claim a horse and risk it?

This would be implemented by track management as a way to control future "POSITIVES".

Track Managements?  HA!  Very few take on or want the responsibility.  How is this controlling in any way shape or form future occurrences?

4. All horses should be tested. Especially claimed ones, at sales or auctions and also those "FUNNY TRANSFERS".

With the cost being put on whom?  We all ready have mention of trainers taking deals from owners who are over taxed from lessing purses.  Who is going to pay for all these tests on say 1500 horses that will go through the Delaware sale in November?

Think about it EVAN. Just Once.  dude

Not just once, but many times I think you a fool.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 10:10:00 AM by Evan Sabove » Report to moderator   Logged
Evan Sabove

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:08:16 AM »

The drug itself is only in the system a short time isn't it? Does its job and eliminates like any drug.

The argument on antibodies was they could stay in the system a long time so there was no way to determine time of administration. Don't think it will be the same problem with the drug.

NJ Horseman will correct me if I'm wrong.  Grin

Which is I guess the question I am asking.  I have yet to read from any of the news reports of levels, half-lifes, administration guidelines, or any of the other goodies involved in calling a positive.

And I'm sure DailyDaley will correct me. 8)
tonymfan

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 10:12:39 AM »

Which is I guess the question I am asking.  I have yet to read from any of the news reports of levels, half-lifes, administration guidelines, or any of the other goodies involved in calling a positive.

Me either. It will be taken care of. Horsemen should begin their crying about threshold values in about two days.
Evan Sabove

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 10:17:12 AM »

I know there are states that ban a veterinarian from having in their possesion any form of EPO.  While I am aware of the New Jersey/Ledford situation, shouldn't there be some kind of Federal investigation by now?  Or is horse racing to minuscule of an issue for them to take notice?
tonymfan

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 10:22:54 AM »

While I am aware of the New Jersey/Ledford situation, shouldn't there be some kind of Federal investigation by now?  Or is horse racing to minuscule of an issue for them to take notice?

Too miniscule and not their business to begin with.
Evan Sabove

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 10:25:20 AM »

Too miniscule and not their business to begin with.

The FDA has no business in abuse of EPO in horse racing?  Why do you think this?  Because it is horse racing or the drug use aspect of it?
tonymfan

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 10:32:07 AM »

The FDA has no business in abuse of EPO in horse racing?

Don't think so. Don't think they get involved with abuse of any drug. Their job is safety up front and monitoring later.

The DEA will get involved in cases of trafficking drugs that are DEA controlled substances but EPO isn't one.

FDA's mission.

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/morechoices/mission.html
Dan Nance

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 10:37:15 AM »

Holborn Hanover goes 1:46 4/5 with no help?
I don't think so.
On the day where our sport gets some attention, a fraud like Bill Robinson goes into the record books with this horse?
Disgusting!

Nice comment burton before you even know if the man did something wrong or not. That's why you are known as a grandstnd goof.

More topics about dope and horse dopers.
tonymfan

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 10:39:38 AM »

A more interesting and informational topic than the continual crying about being screwed and cheated.  Tongue
Dan Nance

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 10:44:58 AM »

A more interesting and informational topic than the continual crying about being screwed and cheated.  Tongue

The truth hurts!
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 10:48:25 AM »

If EPO is going to be regarded a "class 1 violation", does the "TIME it is admistered to the animal have any bearing?

Im asking......I dont know.

The more you bet...the more you win
burton

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 10:48:47 AM »

Nice comment burton before you even know if the man did something wrong or not. That's why you are known as a grandstand goof.

I don't think Holborn Hanover raced in 1:46 4/5 legitimately!
His record up until three stars ago does not suggest that he is capable of doing it.
Robinson's record on the other hand suggests that he is a cheat.
I'm putting two and two together.
You don't get that time with that horse just because they raced on a hot afternoon.
He did it all on his own without the fractions being set up for him.
If that line of thinking makes me a "grandstand goof" so be it.
A grandstand goof is better than being a has been with nothing positive to say about anything or anybody.
Now go and tell me about some claimer you won with 25 years ago!
tonymfan

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »

The truth hurts!

It might if it was true. Paranoid inferiority complex delusions merely entertain.
Evan Sabove

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 10:57:36 AM »

Don't think so. Don't think they get involved with abuse of any drug. Their job is safety up front and monitoring later.

The DEA will get involved in cases of trafficking drugs that are DEA controlled substances but EPO isn't one.

FDA's mission.

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/morechoices/mission.html

Gotcha
Dan Nance

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 11:07:48 AM »

I don't think Holborn Hanover raced in 1:46 4/5 legitimately!
His record up until three stars ago does not suggest that he is capable of doing it.
Robinson's record on the other hand suggests that he is a cheat.
I'm putting two and two together.
You don't get that time with that horse just because they raced on a hot afternoon.
He did it all on his own without the fractions being set up for him.
If that line of thinking makes me a "grandstand goof" so be it.
A grandstand goof is better than being a has been with nothing positive to say about anything or anybody.
Now go and tell me about some claimer you won with 25 years ago!

OK, I will. How about that Perrigrin horse I claimed off Ole' Insko. Man was he a monster with those stovepipe ankles. I believe I won 6 in a row after the claim and he won about 60K for my owner after it was all over when Don Brooks dipped in and claimed him. Don raced him about 3 starts and then he was history. Man, I love being a has been. I would hate to be " a never was " like you burton.

Now back to your grandstand goof comments. Go ahead and label guys horse dopers before you even know if the horse was juiced or not. Go to Oakbrook and sit with your other buddy with the last name of Burton and talk that shit with him while he pimps out whores.   
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 11:31:48 AM »

Dan

Perrigrin with stove pipe ankles???

More like nuclear smoke stacks!!!!!!!!!!

I raced him two starts at prairie meadows for the "fat cat". Wow, how he could even go forward was beyond me.

how long were those ankles like that Dan? Must of been years!
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 11:35:43 AM »

And I'm sure DailyDaley will correct me. 8)

If a horse hasn't changed barns, at the minimum the trainer (and horse) can be busted and put on the shelf.

If he has changed barns, even if the time isn't known, we have a tipoff to test two trainers (the current and the one it was bought or claimed from), and I'll take that as improvement.  Obviously, the important part is just having the ability to find out positives.  I'm sure they are working towards the steps you explain.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
casemania

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 11:39:31 AM »

STAN BERGSTEIN IS ANOTHER OLD CODGER THAT THE SPORT HAS PASSED BY!! HE DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HELL HES TALKING ABOUT ANYMORE!! HES JUST ONE OF THESE DOPES WHO LIKES TO RELIVE HISTORICAL FACTS INSTEAD OF WHATS GOING ON W/ TODAYS DRIVERS AND TRAINERS!! HES NO LONGER RELEVANT AND SHOULD JUST STEP ASIDE FROM WHATEVER TRUMPED UP POSITION HE HOLDS!!
HELL.........HES PROBABLY STILL TRYING TO BET ON STANLEY DANCER AND BILL HAUGHTON!!!

STAN BERGSTEIN--------------------------> geezer
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: