Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 02:14:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question of the Day - Do we need 3 organizations ?  (Read 1522 times)
redneck

« on: November 27, 2005, 08:51:09 AM »

We have In no particular order

IHHA
ISOBA
SA-IL

I`m already paying the USTA and to fund 3 other organizations who are supposedly working for us is ridiculous especially with the purse structure in place now. Can there be a peace or unity? 
Report to moderator   Logged
Michigan Dale

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 09:19:22 AM »

Yours is a good and valid question.   The answer is 'no.'   USTA is an umbrella National Association with different goals and objectives and services.   The State Association is/'should' be where the proverbial rubber meets the road but unfortunately in Illinois that isn't the case since there are three different groups.   All well intentioned, I'm sure, but it should be quite apparent that it would bode much better for horsemen/women if they could unite into one strong formidable organization.   Will such happen in our lifetime?   Now, there's the question!
trotter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »

I think we do.  They all have different agendas. We all are looking to solve different problems. They all say they want the same, but bullshit. The ISOBA wants what is best for the BREEDERS.  SA is almost all breeders on there board.  It won't ever happen if they think they will all band together.
BIG FAN

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 10:17:37 AM »

Neck it's simple math!!Power in numbers!Having three groups divides the horsemen and women too much.In the "perfect world" we would have one  association and if someone does something or doesn't vote the way the majority thinks then that person gets voted out next time around!I do think if we had "one " association the meetings and negotiations would have better attendance.I feel we are that we are not big enough in numbers to support three groups and get anything accomplished for the benefit of everyone involved.Together I hope we can SAVE ILLINOIS RACING and remember UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL or in our case STARVE!
redneck

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 11:50:10 AM »

I almost forgot we have to pay the IRB for licensing too.
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 11:57:13 AM »

Guys:

May I recommend that you not renew your USTA membership. I was a member for 20+ years until Langley became involved. That was when I decided that I would no longer continue my long-standing membership with that organization for fear of corruption and politics. It is a real shame because I abandoned Hoof beats magazine too since Langley became involved. As far as Illinois association, I have always been an IHHA member and will always be. It might not be the best association but being the oldest gives me a sense of security. Just my opinion and as always, open for debate.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
redneck

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 12:02:08 PM »

Joe

Don`t you have to have a USTA license if you own,train and drive horses?

BIG FAN

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 12:50:53 PM »

Cut all the small talk about licensing fees!They cost very little in comparison to a HORSE or HORSES!Point is if the association fees were say 100 dollars a year and I was delivered results I would not mind paying the dues!
redneck

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 05:04:09 PM »

Easy Big guy or BigFan , I wouldn`t mind paying either but to what end?
Every time you turn around someone asking for money I don`t know whether
it`s for hurricane victims or to better our industry or a political contribution to back
someone who goes back on his word! Undecided   
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 07:26:59 PM »

Joe

Don`t you have to have a USTA license if you own,train and drive horses?

Redneck:

From my understanding if a racetrack is governed in conjunction with the USTA, then you must be a member. Paul could probably answer that question better than I. I do know there are several racetracks that in North America that are in operation which do not force you to be a USTA member. Cal Expo is one, I believe.

If I were still in the business and they would not allow me to drive/train or own a horse I would probably look into filing some sort of constitutional rights lawsuit against the track. They cannot discriminate by forcing one to be a member of an organization that one feels is corrupt, colluded, and downright unjust. Just my opinion and as always, I am sure nobody has ever filed a lawsuit against the USTA on the grounds of discrimination. My point is very easily merited by the fact that I have been a long-standing member of the USTA since 1976. Once Phil Langley became involved with the USTA, I immediately withdrew my membership and will not renew it until he dies or is replaced from his Presidency. Just my opinion and as always, open for debate.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
njhorseman

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 08:54:05 PM »

Redneck:

From my understanding if a racetrack is governed in conjunction with the USTA, then you must be a member. Paul could probably answer that question better than I. I do know there are several racetracks that in North America that are in operation which do not force you to be a USTA member. Cal Expo is one, I believe.

If I were still in the business and they would not allow me to drive/train or own a horse I would probably look into filing some sort of constitutional rights lawsuit against the track. They cannot discriminate by forcing one to be a member of an organization that one feels is corrupt, colluded, and downright unjust. Just my opinion and as always, I am sure nobody has ever filed a lawsuit against the USTA on the grounds of discrimination. My point is very easily merited by the fact that I have been a long-standing member of the USTA since 1976. Once Phil Langley became involved with the USTA, I immediately withdrew my membership and will not renew it until he dies or is replaced from his Presidency. Just my opinion and as always, open for debate.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

Any USTA rules requiring you to be a member in order to race at a member racetrack are totally unenforceable, because real regulatory authority rests with the individual states.

The bottom line is that if state rules require you to be a USTA member in good standing in order to hold a state license, then that is the law. If state rules do not require you to be a USTA member in good standing, then that is the law.

Most states require USTA membership for licensure.
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 12:06:20 AM »

Any USTA rules requiring you to be a member in order to race at a member racetrack are totally unenforceable, because real regulatory authority rests with the individual states.

The bottom line is that if state rules require you to be a USTA member in good standing in order to hold a state license, then that is the law. If state rules do not require you to be a USTA member in good standing, then that is the law.

Most states require USTA membership for licensure.

Paul:

Makes perfectly good sense and I knew you would have the answer to that question. On a side note, I was told by a steward friend of mine here in Chicago that since Phil Langley became the president of the USTA membership is at an all time low. He said something like a 28% decrease in overall membership. Coincidence, I doubt it? LOL

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN