Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 19, 2014, 04:57:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sportsmans Park Memories  (Read 2336 times)
thebigm

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 10:56:18 PM »

sitting on the wooden bleachers up in the grandstand, enjoying the beautiful summer nights....I will never forget how all the boys would go to the top and all you could smell was that killer skunk....that place was THE BEST....
Report to moderator   Logged

I sure miss the good 'ol days!!
feelin old

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 11:13:55 PM »

Just how good did that blast of cold air feel when you were entering the grandstand or race office after walking from backstretch or parking lot.

A Gil-ism,  "and Johnny Z comes out of the 3hole for no obvious reason"

When I was very young Bobby Shuter and I went to the press box every night for free soda and to get some of Gil's lemondrops that he always had around for his voice.
One time we were headed for the Announcers booth but got intercepted by Earl Williams so we wouldn't walk into Gil's Booth while he had a "special guest".

Earl said there was someone in there but we sure couldn't see much of his guest. She must have been picking something up from the floor because she sure stayed bent over for a long time. lol

I was there EVERY summer of my life.

Shuter and I put a golf cart in the elevator, went to the 3rd floor, Put in reverse got it going, then put it in forward and squeeled the tire and left rubber.
Old Pete Langley never did figure out how those  skid rubber marks got there.
 I always remember waiting for Bobby Dennis (Jim's son) to make it out coming from California.  His dog Duke killed 12 SWANS that Pete Langley had just had delivered to the infield pond the day before Duke arrived. Pete was going barn to barn in that old golf cart of his with his dog "Trixie", asking everyone who's dog killed his swans. Finally after going to every other barn at Spk, he stopped by Jim Dennis' barn. Of course Jim was the "favorite son" of Pete, so he had not even suspected any possibility that Jim would have such a dog in his barn. As he is telling Jim about the incident, Duke roled over in the hay/straw stall alongside Pete's cart and cut a loud fart and sneezed about 5 white feathers out of his nose/mouth. I truly saw steam coming out of Pete's ears!!!
Pete didn't say a word but the next day a wire was installed so Duke could run the entire length of the barn
I remember loading and unloading horses off of the TRAIN that ran alongside the track kitchen. O'Brien, Lighthill, Dennis, Crane,Grenier, Valles Key, John Mc Gregor, etc
My brother and I got paid $20 every time it rain because the track provided "mudbikes" and we washed 25 bikes every time it rained. $20 bucks was a lot of money for a 10-14 year old.
I must have a thing for A/C,,, I loved sitting in the cool kitchen watching Bozo's Circus around lunch and the evening news at suppertime.
Watching Wlibert Emig and his wife Rosaly prepare those beautiful palaminoes. They put checker board styles in the hair on their rump.

I remeber Albatross's world record well . I was sitting on the balcony of the next to last barn by Laramie.
I DROVE MY FIRST RACE THE NEXT DAY AT THE SANDWICH MATINEE ...

I remember watching Greyhound lead the post parade for the Columbian Trot every year. He was always stabled on the backside of our barn and I got to know the old black fellow that took care of him. The last time Greyhound stepped foot on the race track, the press was gathered around his stall after the race. The old fellow was giving the ribbons in his mane to some of the reporters. When he took the last one out of Greyhound's mane he handed it to me while I was sitting in the corner of the stall under his feed tub, I still have it.

Race Time , Speedy Scot, bret Hanover and many many more were stabled on the backside of our barn. It was the stakes aisle.

Met all of the top grooms . Kentucky Bill, Thin Dime Murphy, Reddog Ryan, Badeye Dick Pate, Charlie Coleman ( He rubbed 3-4 Hambo winners for the Simpson's) and always had his parrot "Charlie" around.

One time my Dad told Reddog that he had to start coming over to our house every evening for supper so Dad would know that Red had actually eaten something to go along with the whiskey and beer. After missinng supper a few nights , Dad really came down hard on Red. Read him the riot act.
After Dad had finally finished, Red casually said "Don't worry about a thing , Jackie Dale. There is 3 pork chops in every can." as he held up a Schlitz.
Several years later Red died in one of my Dad's stalls at the "Hankins Barn" in Springfield as did several other old time Grand Cicuit grooms that couldn't live the Circuit life anymore.

I could go on for days, but not tonight.

Best horse---- Rambling Willie by several lengths, if people knew what lameness that he overcame, well,,,,,,,,,,,

feelin old
the ol' tanker
feelin old

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2006, 11:14:16 PM »

Just how good did that blast of cold air feel when you were entering the grandstand or race office after walking from backstretch or parking lot.

A Gil-ism,  "and Johnny Z comes out of the 3hole for no obvious reason"

When I was very young Bobby Shuter and I went to the press box every night for free soda and to get some of Gil's lemondrops that he always had around for his voice.
One time we were headed for the Announcers booth but got intercepted by Earl Williams so we wouldn't walk into Gil's Booth while he had a "special guest".

Earl said there was someone in there but we sure couldn't see much of his guest. She must have been picking something up from the floor because she sure stayed bent over for a long time. lol

I was there EVERY summer of my life.

Shuter and I put a golf cart in the elevator, went to the 3rd floor, Put in reverse got it going, then put it in forward and squeeled the tire and left rubber.
Old Pete Langley never did figure out how those  skid rubber marks got there.
 I always remember waiting for Bobby Dennis (Jim's son) to make it out coming from California.  His dog Duke killed 12 SWANS that Pete Langley had just had delivered to the infield pond the day before Duke arrived. Pete was going barn to barn in that old golf cart of his with his dog "Trixie", asking everyone who's dog killed his swans. Finally after going to every other barn at Spk, he stopped by Jim Dennis' barn. Of course Jim was the "favorite son" of Pete, so he had not even suspected any possibility that Jim would have such a dog in his barn. As he is telling Jim about the incident, Duke roled over in the hay/straw stall alongside Pete's cart and cut a loud fart and sneezed about 5 white feathers out of his nose/mouth. I truly saw steam coming out of Pete's ears!!!
Pete didn't say a word but the next day a wire was installed so Duke could run the entire length of the barn
I remember loading and unloading horses off of the TRAIN that ran alongside the track kitchen. O'Brien, Lighthill, Dennis, Crane,Grenier, Valles Key, John Mc Gregor, etc
My brother and I got paid $20 every time it rain because the track provided "mudbikes" and we washed 25 bikes every time it rained. $20 bucks was a lot of money for a 10-14 year old.
I must have a thing for A/C,,, I loved sitting in the cool kitchen watching Bozo's Circus around lunch and the evening news at suppertime.
Watching Wlibert Emig and his wife Rosaly prepare those beautiful palaminoes. They put checker board styles in the hair on their rump.

I remeber Albatross's world record well . I was sitting on the balcony of the next to last barn by Laramie.
I DROVE MY FIRST RACE THE NEXT DAY AT THE SANDWICH MATINEE ...

I remember watching Greyhound lead the post parade for the Columbian Trot every year. He was always stabled on the backside of our barn and I got to know the old black fellow that took care of him. The last time Greyhound stepped foot on the race track, the press was gathered around his stall after the race. The old fellow was giving the ribbons in his mane to some of the reporters. When he took the last one out of Greyhound's mane he handed it to me while I was sitting in the corner of the stall under his feed tub, I still have it.

Race Time , Speedy Scot, bret Hanover and many many more were stabled on the backside of our barn. It was the stakes aisle.

Met all of the top grooms . Kentucky Bill, Thin Dime Murphy, Reddog Ryan, Badeye Dick Pate, Charlie Coleman ( He rubbed 3-4 Hambo winners for the Simpson's) and always had his parrot "Charlie" around.

One time my Dad told Reddog that he had to start coming over to our house every evening for supper so Dad would know that Red had actually eaten something to go along with the whiskey and beer. After missinng supper a few nights , Dad really came down hard on Red. Read him the riot act.
After Dad had finally finished, Red casually said "Don't worry about a thing , Jackie Dale. There is 3 pork chops in every can." as he held up a Schlitz.
Several years later Red died in one of my Dad's stalls at the "Hankins Barn" in Springfield as did several other old time Grand Cicuit grooms that couldn't live the Circuit life anymore.

I could go on for days, but not tonight.

Best horse---- Rambling Willie by several lengths, if people knew what lameness that he overcame, well,,,,,,,,,,,

feelin old
the ol' tanker
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2006, 11:33:58 PM »

Thanks Kim great post.
Dan Nance

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 11:36:45 PM »

Memories of the Sportsman's Park track kitchen.

I order a meatball sandwich and as I go to take a bite out of it I see a hair sticking out of the side. I reach in to pull the hair out and I see it's 2 roaches in my sandwich. I storm back into the kitchen and tell them there are 2 roaches in my meatball sandwich. The dumb ass asks me if I want them to make me a different sandwich. Yeah right !!  
race track phil

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 11:54:10 PM »

Thats a great post kim !  great to have good memories of spk

danny did they charge you extra for the 2 roaches ! the next sandwich probably only 1 roach !      maroon    the track food has never really been good ! the roaches might have been there best dish !
                                          geezer   RTP
LVd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 12:12:28 AM »

Watching Daryl Busse drive an ostrich

Seeing ; ike and tina turner, blood sweat and tears, captain and tenille,etc

Rabbit STREAKING

watching races on the wooden steps overlooking the backside fence

waiting for the new condition book to come out.

Remembering how cool it felt once you stepped inside the grandstands from the swealtering heat.
Double Joker

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 05:56:32 PM »

Hoping you had a couple of bucks left to get a dog pop and chips from the stand on Laramie at the truck!Seeing Jacobs on the back of Spensive while holding Charge Plate! flag
firecat

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 07:56:44 PM »

sitting with dorman perrin in his golf cart on top of the home strecth watching the races and bullshitting with one of the greatest guys i ever met.GOD PLEASE YOU DORMIE.
getemup

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2006, 09:16:52 PM »

Hoping you had a couple of bucks left to get a dog pop and chips from the stand on Laramie at the truck!Seeing Jacobs on the back of Spensive while holding Charge Plate! flag
That truck had the best hot dogs!
TC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2006, 09:22:21 PM »

The Spensive incident was at Hawthorne, but close enough.   trotter  TC
Mel from Moline

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2006, 12:38:52 PM »

My memories of Spk are not so good. Hotter than F%!..... Bad air, stinking air from the water reclamation plant. Rediculous heat and dust in those lousy barns. Two good things tho, the tack rooms had their own bathroom and shower and the paddock was cool. That's about it. Even the surface sucked there most of the time. For a topline "a" track it was a pile of dung in my estimation. BUT.......The horsemen's lives were much better when Moline was open for the cheapies and only Sportsman's was open for the good horses. Til and thru 1990 that was the better way.

Horses make the humans...not the other way around.
Double Joker

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2006, 05:53:30 PM »

That truck had the best hot dogs!
You are right!And I think it was like 2 bucks for a dog chips and pop    flag

PS Thanks TC for the correction on Spensive!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: