Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 21, 2014, 10:41:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The USTA Drivers/Trainers Test  (Read 3092 times)
Tannor

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2005, 04:13:01 PM »

This winter i am working on taking my drivers/trainers test. I know some of you have taken it so i am looking for some advice. Ive read the test study guide the USTA gives out and will probably read it again. Im working on the rule book right now and im about half way done with it. So my question to ya'll is what do i need to study the hardest on. Im not to worried about the written test though its the practical that im most concerend about and i dont know why. Does anyone have the list of trainers that can give it to ya?

Thanks

Tannor
Report to moderator   Logged

They're at the gate!!!!
trotter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 08:49:53 PM »

When  I took the test...long long lonnnnnngggg, time ago.  Know the starting rules, be able to write them out. Read the conduct rules.  Know your shoes, types, etc.  They ask questions like, what would you do if you had a horse running in in the turns???  Stuff like that, pretty basic stuff.  It isn't hard.
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 08:50:46 PM »

Thanks. I cant believe Paul hasnt told me to buy his book yet.  Grin

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
Dan Nance

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »

This winter i am working on taking my drivers/trainers test. I know some of you have taken it so i am looking for some advice. Ive read the test study guide the USTA gives out and will probably read it again. Im working on the rule book right now and im about half way done with it. So my question to ya'll is what do i need to study the hardest on. Im not to worried about the written test though its the practical that im most concerend about and i dont know why. Does anyone have the list of trainers that can give it to ya?

Thanks

Tannor

Tannor
             When you do get your drivers/trainers license I would highly suggest that you think about racing anywhere as long as it's not in Chicago. Do yourself a favor and don't start your career off under the gestapo.
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 09:55:36 PM »

Dan,

Thanks for the advice. I will probably race at the fairs. Maybe just venture up there to qualify one. It will only be a Q/F liscense so it kinda limits me.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
njhorseman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »

Thanks. I cant believe Paul hasnt told me to buy his book yet.  Grin

Tannor

Uh...my book  isn't about the the trainer/driver test.  Smiley However, my publisher, The Russell Meerdink Co., Ltd. actually used to have a book on how to pass the trainer/driver test, and I was supposed to write a new version of it. However, we got into a dispute with the USTA over final editorial control, and canned the whole project.
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 10:12:08 PM »

Didnt you write the care of the trotter and pacer or somethin like that. THey suggest that to study to.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
njhorseman

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 10:15:36 PM »

Didnt you write the care of the trotter and pacer or somethin like that. THey suggest that to study to.

Tannor

LOL. I wish I had written Care and Training of the Trotter and PacerSmiley

I wrote How to Own Winning Standardbred Racehorses.
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 11:36:46 PM »

O sry. I knew ya wrote some big book though. Sorry about the confusion. I thought u were njHORSEMAN not njHORSEOWNER. Just messin wit ya.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
Big P

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 02:39:31 PM »

Does anybody know where i can buy THE GUIDE TO PRE-RACING THE TROTTER AND PACER
trotter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 02:54:15 PM »

Tannor,

That was a good one.  I think Paul wrote the book during the days of the high wheel sulkies..  Thngs have changed since then.  Big P, do you want the 10cc. version or the 12 cc??
sn

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2005, 03:13:25 PM »

Big p , be patient!!! Les Einhaus is putting the finishing touches on that non-fiction best seller as we speak!!!
He has the best combinations of any one who's around, people just dont know it but soon they will!!!
There will also be a section on how to furnish your stable with all the newest equipment available for virtually no cost!!!!

"Gentleman we have a horse down!! Glenndale freedom is down"!!!!
rocket

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2005, 07:29:04 PM »

Tannor,
I took the test 31 years ago, it may be different now, but then it was very in depth. As I remember it took over an hour, I knew the answers and was writing as fast as I could. A couple I remember are: 1. List 3 different ways of shoeing a horse to get him off his knees. 2. Explain forging? 3. Explain scalping 4. If the driver in front of you started yelling "watch it" what would you do?  There were allot of SA type questions. The book Care and Training of the Trotter and Pacer is an excellent place to start, and know the USTA rules.    Good luck!
Dan Nance

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 07:34:50 PM »

Tannor,
I took the test 31 years ago, it may be different now, but then it was very in depth. As I remember it took over an hour, I knew the answers and was writing as fast as I could. A couple I remember are: 1. List 3 different ways of shoeing a horse to get him off his knees. 2. Explain forging? 3. Explain scalping 4. If the driver in front of you started yelling "watch it" what would you do?  There were allot of SA type questions. The book Care and Training of the Trotter and Pacer is an excellent place to start, and know the USTA rules.    Good luck!

Yes, make sure you study everything you can to pass the test. But remember, being able to answer questions from a book will not make you a good trainer. You either have it or you don't. It's the same with driving, anybody can hold two lines but not eveyone can get one to go. Right Tannor? 
rocket

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 07:49:34 PM »

Dan is right about driving, before long you will find out if you have it or not.  As far as training, it will be a learning process for as long as you choose to train. I did and still do ask advise, look to the guys that have been around along time, and develop colts that become good race horses, even when they are not champions at 2 & 3.
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2005, 07:59:48 PM »

Thanks for the advise guys. I understand that its more of a nack than a thing you learn. Right now i am in nagotitions on buying my first standardbred horse that would do around the fairs. It stinks right now though because with school and the barn being a half hour away it stinks. Ive went down there the last 2 saturdays and have been in heaven. Its 30o outside and joggin or trainin i love it.

They're at the gate!!!!
njhorseman

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2005, 12:17:38 AM »

Tannor,

That was a good one.  I think Paul wrote the book during the days of the high wheel sulkies.. 

And you're the only one around here who's old enough to remember when I wrote it.  Cheesy
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2005, 12:55:18 AM »

Paul,

Your up awful late. I guess thats what elderly do they go to bed really early then up once in the middle of the night then back till 6 right?  Grin Just messin with ya.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
Elsie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2005, 07:41:20 AM »

Tannor,

Everyone has offered valid suggestions for your upcoming USTA Driver/Trainer written test.  You are getting information from people who definitely know the business.

Knowing the USTA Rule Book is very important.  A lot of the questions are based upon it.  Although none of the questions are likely to be straight from the book, Care and Training of the Trotter & Pacer does provide the background for answering some of the questions.

In addition, the practical knowledge you attain from being in the business is very helpful.  I have found that common sense goes a long way.

Finally, I think it would be helpful to apply the philosophy I have when deciding if I can do anything in life.  This includes anything from harnessing a horse to re-wiring a house.
It is pretty simple: "People a lot dumber than me do this for a living!"

Good Luck on the test!

Elsie

Look for my picture on many fine Borden products!
njhorseman

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2005, 11:29:23 AM »

Paul,

Your up awful late. I guess thats what elderly do they go to bed really early then up once in the middle of the night then back till 6 right?  Grin Just messin with ya.

Tannor

Tannor:
If you must know, I had just gotten home from attending Breeders Crown night at the Meadowlands, which is about an hour's drive from my home.

I admit to being up past my usual bed time.  Cheesy
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 12:50:35 PM »

I watched them on here. Hope ya had a good time.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
njhorseman

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 02:00:55 PM »

I watched them on here. Hope ya had a good time.

Tannor

I would have had a  better time if i had hit the Pick 4!  Wink
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »

I would have had a  better time if i had hit the Pick 4!  Wink

I was hoping for just about anyone besides RnR.  That was too bad -- I thought I was on to something with the mid $10 and the $28 horse.  Too bad it had to close out with the horses that were singled on some tickets...

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: