Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 02, 2014, 07:44:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOR JOE DAKURAS  (Read 1569 times)
fineline

« on: November 25, 2005, 01:19:18 PM »

The are changing the name of Thomas & Mack center  court to TARKANIAN center court when UNLV plays UNR.
Report to moderator   Logged
sn

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 01:21:10 PM »

Old News.......fineline..........Get in the game guy!!!!
TC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 01:28:25 PM »

Tark is theonly coach who could run for mayor in two towns and win        ( Las Vegas and Fresno).  The guy took a team a 4 Final Fours over a 15 year period and NEVER prejudged an athlete before arriving on campus.  Try selling Las Vegas in the '70 and '80s to 17 and 18 year olds who can't partake in the "action" the city has to offer - tough sell.  Yet, the recruits from NYC, Dallas, and other ports of call kept flocking to JT and UNLV.

Mazel tov on the court naming Tark !  You've come a long way from Euclid, OH.  TC     P.S.  In 36 seasons as a coach, you NEVER had a losing season.  That's a better record than most. (understatement of the year ! )
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 01:30:28 PM by TC » Report to moderator   Logged
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 02:12:15 PM »

Thanks for the update guys but I knew about this three weeks ago when I spoke to Lois. I hope all of you local’s buy a ticket and show up to give support to an ambassador, mentor, and great human being, Jerry Tarkanian. My brother is going and so is Joe Parisi who just got out to Vegas about an hour ago. The place should be packed and I also know that Larry Johnson, Stacy Augmon, Sid Green, Reggie Theus, among others will be there too. Greg Anthony will be guest speaker and I hope the hell ESPN and every other major media sport market televises this moment in sports history. I can guarantee you they will be selling Tark chew towels for $8.00 each. I still have mine and have never taken it out of the bag. I wish I could be there to give thanks to this wonderful person for helping to change the lives of so many poor, underprivileged kids and helped keep people like me in line with reality checks. The television networks should interrupt their regularly scheduled programming to cover this story. Thank you Jerry Tarkanian for your kindness, mentoring, warmth, and most importantly, getting LJ and me out of consumer economics class as often as possible. LOL From one of your biggest fans (besides Larry Johnson), LOL, thank you for the memories. God Bless, and enjoy your retirement.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
fineline

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 03:00:52 PM »

SN I sorry everybody is not on top of things as you .
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 03:33:31 PM »

Fineline:

Thanks for keeping me informed. Although I knew it was happening it sure is nice to see others appreciative to Tark for everything he has done. There will never be another coach that could take such troubled kids and turn them into winners like Jerry Tarkanian did. It was amazing when you think about how the NCAA was constantly on his ass yet he still was so successful. If you ever had a chance to speak with Tark, he was so down to earth and understanding...all he ever wanted to talk about was basketball. You could be telling him that your car is not running right and he would go right into a story about how the Rebels are in for a battle with Utah and stuff...the guy is hilarious.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the FUC#ING President Bob Maxson and JAGOFF Athletic Director Dennis Frinfrock were never at UNLV, Tark would still be coaching there today winning championships. They ruined a great thing just like the Johnston's and Langley have done with Chicago harness racing. It's too bad. If your out in Vegas, go ahead to that game and watch the rebels kick Reno's ass.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
Big C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 08:19:24 AM »

Who gives a S------------------------------------
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 03:16:18 AM »

Who gives a S------------------------------------

Big C:

Just remember that the Rebels will now be playing at Tarkanian Court and no longer at The Thomas & Mack Arena. LOL. I give a S---------, thats who. LOL

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
Big C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 09:05:39 AM »

Joe, what are all of those STUDENT athletes doing these days? I'm sure at least one of them must have a job after the FINE education they received.
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 11:38:07 AM »

Joe, what are all of those STUDENT athletes doing these days? I'm sure at least one of them must have a job after the FINE education they received.

Big C:

I cannot speak for most of the student athletes at UNLV but can tell you that Larry Johnson signed a $67 million contract fresh out of UNLV with the Charlotte Hornets. In '99 he injured his back in a pick-up game and Charlotte traded him to the N.Y. Knicks where he ended his career. Larry owns a huge automobile dealership outside Dallas, TX and is one of the nicest, most generous people you would ever want to know. He was a dominant force in the NBA and Charlotte's all-time leading scorer and rebounder. Need I say more in that area?

I know that Greg Anthony works for ESPN as a color-commentator covering the NBA. Randall Cunningham of Philadelphia Eagle fame resides in Vegas still today, and has a Cabinet/Woodworking business. Those are really the only UNLV student athletes I knew in my time there and have kept in contact with.

Big C, I guess if you sign an NBA contract for $67 million, you may be able to enjoy life and not have to work too much after your NBA days are over, huh?  Do you see a pattern of how many poor, underprivileged kids Tark took under his wing and made them upstanding productive members of our society?  In case you did not know, Tark’s resume is filled with giving troubled young men second, third, and fourth chances. Something coach’s nowadays would not think of doing. It was great to see Mr. College Basketball; Jerry Tarkanian honored last night at UNLV. He was there with his 10 grandchildren, all Vegas residents. It could not have happened to a better guy. I guess it sure looks like Vegas is the place to be nowadays.  Yes, when you talk about college basketball remember one thing; UNLV Runnin Rebels and coach Tark are what college basketball is all about.

If LJ would have not have hurt his back, Michael Jordan's records would have been in jeopardy and he would have ended up as probably one of the NBA’s greatest. Just my opinion and as always, open for debate.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 07:29:41 PM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THIS IS HEAVEN
Big C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 10:48:38 AM »

Joe,nice to here that coach JT is a good guy helping his former players, but what about the dozens of others that fell thru the cracks? I know that everyone can't or dosen't want help. Would guess that the reason most players went to UNLV was a stepping stone to the NBA. Unfortunately, the vast majority of players are only dreaming. So after the shock of reality, where do these guys end up? A degree could certainly help these STUDENT athlets out .By the way Joe ,your threads are very well put together.
TC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 11:16:06 AM »

Joe,nice to here that coach JT is a good guy helping his former players, but what about the dozens of others that fell thru the cracks? I know that everyone can't or dosen't want help. Would guess that the reason most players went to UNLV was a stepping stone to the NBA. Unfortunately, the vast majority of players are only dreaming. So after the shock of reality, where do these guys end up? A degree could certainly help these STUDENT athlets out .By the way Joe ,your threads are very well put together.
  Big C, you hit it right on the head.  Several former players don't want the help.  College is what you make of it, individually.  The #1 skill learned in college is NETWORKING.  Being a star athlete is great, but the ability to endear yourself to alums, profs, and the like comes from within.  Most stars are too self-centered and don't give back to the institutions that gave them free room and board, books, and opportunity to better themselves.  For example, how many pre-law students make it as attorneys ?

Only the smart cookies who can schmooze with the alums and boosters after their collegiate careers are the ones who will succeed in life after their eligibility is up.  Locally, for every Skip Dillard or Carl Golston, there is a successful former college player who took the opportunity the universities gave them and carved out a niche in decent society for themselves and their families.  With tuition and expenses these days being outrageous, a student-athlete is throwing away untold fortunes by being selfish and not applying himself to the college regimen.  This is NOT the fault of any coach, AD, or dean of studies.  TC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: