Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 21, 2014, 12:13:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC fires Leving!  (Read 2498 times)
nwaryas

« on: July 27, 2006, 05:22:30 AM »

Calabrese is no longer employing Steve Leving. Leving picked up a job at his local Wal-Mart.
Report to moderator   Logged
mel4600

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:52:54 AM »

Who hasn't he fired yet?
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »

This is the third time i do believe.  Must be a tough guy to work for.
big wally

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:47:33 AM »

Is this the Chicago version of George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin?
ageecee

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 08:46:27 AM »

who is steve leving and what does he do?
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 08:57:04 AM »

Someone told me that his title was stable manager.  Looked for horses to claim or buy for Mr, Calabrese.  I once witnessed a three way shouting match between Leving, Catalano and Calabrese on the first floor of Hawthorne that looked like it may come to fisticuffs any second.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 09:23:52 AM »

OFO wrote:
I once witnessed a three way shouting match between Leving, Catalano and Calabrese on the first floor of Hawthorne that looked like it may come to fisticuffs any second.

They tend to operate like that.  Best one I saw was early in the meet was when Catalano had bought a maiden for $20K at OP and then ran it back for $10K at AP first back.  There was about an 8 way shake for the horse and Calabrese and Catalano were both screaming obscenities at each other in the paddock after they lost the horse.  Funny as hell...

-RSR
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 09:26:17 AM »

Years ago Leving worked in the racing office. I don't remember why he was ousted from there, but for some reason memory tells me that he hit a major bet ticket, and there were repercussions. Calabrese hired him after that. Steve is (or maybe now was) stable manager for Calabrese.
Those guys always argue..LOL I've seen many times like the post above where they are ripping into each other.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 09:32:34 AM »

Steve Leving also took over the old chnnel 26 today's racing show - I believe after ed cannaughton retired.  I think he also co hosted with Gallitano, he is an expert when it comes to breeding and pick six betting. 
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 09:36:04 AM »

I think that his brother is that fathers rights attorney (Jeffery Leving?), who is always advertising and self promoting.  Don't ever get cornered by Steve Leving when he is explaing his pick six betting strategies.  Long and boring.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 10:16:06 AM »

yes his strategies can be intense and complicated but trust me he knows his business, especially breeding!
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 10:32:40 AM »

I've seen many times like the post above where they are ripping into each other.

Sometimes if you got to Arlington early, the three of them and some assorted camp followers could be observed sitting at one of the tables by the food court, and the conversation was always quite spirited in that way. Maybe they enjoy it.  Smiley
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »

As everybody has said, their arguments are riots.  One of the best reasons for going down to the paddock.  It is especialy good when one of Frank's odds on favorites loses.  Everybody has to pass by Frank's spot on the rail back to the jockey quarters or barns and if they are involved in the loss, they really hear about it right there.

Wayne seems to be handling Frank a lot better, taking everything with a grain of salt and giving some back.  They seem to have a love-hate relationship that appears to be holding together longer than in the past.

Steve is a sheets player and Frank is not a believer of that. Frank was always giving him static about it.  Steve probably will be back.  One thing that may have worked against Steve is that he is the one who made the decision to run Lewis Michael in the Colonial race.  Frank wanted to run him in the Mid-America Triple at AP.  The trip to Colonial was a bad experience for Frank.

Frank always wins a lot of races, it is just a question of how much money he is going to lose each year doing that.  Racing is only a part of Frank's business with gambling being the other part.  So I guess he has to offset one business with the other.
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 12:22:53 PM »

I think Calebrese is bad for racing. Horses that get claimed off him and Catelano also don't do well. They pump the hell out of those horses with Steroids and who knows what else! The stats are misleading too. Catelano/Calebrese claim horses for $17,500, wait 30 days, then run them for $13,500. Big deal! Anyone can win doing that but are you gonna make money? Also, I don't like the gambling part of it. Something stinks. I made two other posts that got erased on this thread and you guys can figure out what I said.

Stivo

ZENYATTA THE GREAT! NOT RA!
mel4600

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »

As everybody has said, their arguments are riots.  One of the best reasons for going down to the paddock.  It is especialy good when one of Frank's odds on favorites loses.  Everybody has to pass by Frank's spot on the rail back to the jockey quarters or barns and if they are involved in the loss, they really hear about it right there.

Wayne seems to be handling Frank a lot better, taking everything with a grain of salt and giving some back.  They seem to have a love-hate relationship that appears to be holding together longer than in the past.

Steve is a sheets player and Frank is not a believer of that. Frank was always giving him static about it.  Steve probably will be back.  One thing that may have worked against Steve is that he is the one who made the decision to run Lewis Michael in the Colonial race.  Frank wanted to run him in the Mid-America Triple at AP.  The trip to Colonial was a bad experience for Frank.

Frank always wins a lot of races, it is just a question of how much money he is going to lose each year doing that.  Racing is only a part of Frank's business with gambling being the other part.  So I guess he has to offset one business with the other.
He sure can't be making money betting his horses, they are always chalks.
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 01:26:16 PM »

Maybe he's not betting his horses in those races.

Ed
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 01:27:51 PM »

Ed

That's what I mean. Very fishy!

big wally

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 01:44:54 PM »

Ed

Are you guys are saying he may stiffing his horses to cash a bet? Calabrese is loaded and I mean loaded with cash. I doubt he would risk jail time for $10,000 or even $100,000 score.
Luc

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 01:57:33 PM »

Frank, makes some nice scores betting on gimmicks. He is a sharp bettor. Leving for a guy who is suppose to be so sharp doesn't have a pot to piss in. A few years back he couldn't afford a car.
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 02:23:35 PM »

When I knew him his 1st love was gambling. Up and down, up and down. He's a sharp handicapper.

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 02:41:40 PM »

You are right.  He is on the prowl for other horses with good odds.  He saw one a week ago, went out and looked at it, and advised the trainer and jockey to get that horse to the front right away, just as if Frank was the owner.  I forget, but the horse was something like 14-1.  That horse did get out and win, giving Frank a 35K win at the windows.  All of this was told to me by the trainer so I assume it is true.  As I said, I think Frank trys to supplement his horse business by putting a good amount of money through the windows.  All part of the game, I guess.
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 02:44:28 PM »

Always has been.

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
mel4600

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 06:35:17 PM »

Ed
I don't think he needs to bet at all. His money is not made betting horses in my opinion.
mel4600

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »

You are right.  He is on the prowl for other horses with good odds.  He saw one a week ago, went out and looked at it, and advised the trainer and jockey to get that horse to the front right away, just as if Frank was the owner.  I forget, but the horse was something like 14-1.  That horse did get out and win, giving Frank a 35K win at the windows.  All of this was told to me by the trainer so I assume it is true.  As I said, I think Frank trys to supplement his horse business by putting a good amount of money through the windows.  All part of the game, I guess.
If I were a trainer I'd be embarrassed to admit this to anyone. I don't know Frank personally, however, until now, I was not even aware he was a big player. I have heard plenty of other things.
sawd off

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 07:23:09 PM »

" As The Shedrow Turns" Cat is a sharp horseman and I dont believe he needs Leving to pick the spots or the nags to Claim. Leving is good at what he does, but Frank pays the bills and calls the shots. I dont agree with there strategy of claim wait a month and drop. No way Frank is making any $. I know he doesnt need it. To me thats not winning. Not to many claimers can move one up off Cat. Maybe Frank is going to Promote is right hand man Sid?? Stay tuned for another episode "As The Shedrow Turns".
David

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 07:33:54 PM »

I've been witness to several odd loud public arguments between the 3 of them, it is very awkward to watch - one time I was sitting in those study carrell things and the 3 of them were rotating in and out of the row in front of me  with a couple hanger ons and the arguements and back stabbing just kept growing as the day went on, something about someone being in France and  buying some horse for them for decent cash.

But like someone said above they may like the whole process, one thing you can say for sure is that all 3 of them have quite a bit of intensity - they tend to take things personally - and I know that doesn't wash too well with some in the Sport of Kings - but it generally is a trait I like in people. I don't know about Catalano but the other 2 push it through the windows pretty well so I don't doubt any of the gambling angles as discussed above and at other times.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 08:27:35 PM »

I heard from a very reliable source that even though Frank won the owners titles for NJC( at Hawthorne spring) - Arlington (summer) - and Hawthorne (fall) in 2004, he also lost 1.3 million on his racing operations that year. He's a multi-millionaire, and a lot of this is tax write-offs and fun for him. However, I talked with him about this and he hates to lose especially when it's a horse he has dropped after a claim and out of jail.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 08:35:45 PM »

I was unable to confirm the alleged firing with anyone at the track. Does anybody know this to be a fact? Just checking.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2006, 08:43:45 PM »

I can find out tomorrow morning Trackman. It's too late to make a call tonight.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2006, 08:46:11 PM »

...or is this an old thread that came out of the archives!   Wink

Sing it:

Make up, then to break up, that's all we do......
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2006, 08:53:54 PM »

If I were a trainer I'd be embarrassed to admit this to anyone. I don't know Frank personally, however, until now, I was not even aware he was a big player. I have heard plenty of other things.

Frank is sort of King of the Paddock.  He has a certain place on paddock fence right at the start of the tunnel.  Virtually every jockey pays his respect when he comes by, as well as most trainers and other horse people.  Mr. D definitely stops by.  When Frank was going for the owner's win record, Mr. D stopped by and told him in no uncertain terms that he wanted him to beat Hickey's win record.
mel4600

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 08:11:40 AM »

Frank is sort of King of the Paddock.  He has a certain place on paddock fence right at the start of the tunnel.  Virtually every jockey pays his respect when he comes by, as well as most trainers and other horse people.  Mr. D definitely stops by.  When Frank was going for the owner's win record, Mr. D stopped by and told him in no uncertain terms that he wanted him to beat Hickey's win record.

I have never thought of him in that way. The way he Win's races does not impress me. I have always been amazed at Robert Bone as an owner, a man who does all his own claiming and placing of the horse and wins at nearly 30% while raising them most of the time. I am also impressed with Scott Lake's claiming ability and moving up of horses.

You don't have to be a genius to claim a horse for $25K and wait 30 days and run him for 18K and be favorite. Most anyone with any basic knowledge and a large supply of money can compete for a training title. What do you prove? The jock's are there kissing ass to get on some live mounts and I don't blame them.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2006, 08:56:33 AM »

"I can find out tomorrow morning Trackman. It's too late to make a call tonight."

Beau,

Did you find out anything?
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2006, 09:06:43 AM »

I have never thought of him in that way. The way he Win's races does not impress me. I have always been amazed at Robert Bone as an owner, a man who does all his own claiming and placing of the horse and wins at nearly 30% while raising them most of the time. I am also impressed with Scott Lake's claiming ability and moving up of horses.

You don't have to be a genius to claim a horse for $25K and wait 30 days and run him for 18K and be favorite. Most anyone with any basic knowledge and a large supply of money can compete for a training title. What do you prove? The jock's are there kissing ass to get on some live mounts and I don't blame them.

I totally agree. Give me $300,000 and I'll win the Owners title. Seriously. I may not make any money, but I'll claim horses, drop 'em, and watch them win and get claimed while making virtually no money but getting a win!

BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 09:26:18 AM »

"I can find out tomorrow morning Trackman. It's too late to make a call tonight."

Beau,

Did you find out anything?

Trackman,

Yeah - here's the scoop. Leving quit, but he never quit working..LOL
He told Calabrese that he hated working for him, and that he quit. However, one hour later he was still picking out horses for him. Typical!!
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2006, 09:41:28 AM »

"Yeah - here's the scoop. Leving quit, but he never quit working..LOL
He told Calabrese that he hated working for him, and that he quit. However, one hour later he was still picking out horses for him. Typical!!"

Yeah, that's Leving alright.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2006, 10:30:02 AM »

"Ah wish I could quit yew" Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:32:21 AM by Stat Man Steve » Report to moderator   Logged
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2006, 06:56:50 PM »

Steve wasi n the winners circle for the phota when Lewis Michael won today's 3rd.  I guess they kissed and made up.

Ed
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »

I was in line behind FCC when he was at the windows.  He bet a $400 exacta box 5-6.
David

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2006, 07:37:53 PM »

I was in line behind FCC when he was at the windows.  He bet a $400 exacta box 5-6.

Bet against himself?
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 07:55:48 PM »

I'm sensing RSR is serious. 

Lewis Michael was the #1

For what it's worth, here were the $2 Exacta Prices/Probables

1 with 5 paid $4.60 (winning combo)
1 with 6 - $9
5 with 1 - $19
6 with 1  - $56
5 with 6 - $63
6 with 5 - $105

I didn't follow the races today.  Frankly, I thought Lewis Micheal would win this confidence builder, though was not a mortal lock.
Personally I don't have the wealth to make $800 Insurance Bets, though could appreciate the concept. 
$400 exactas would have returned approx $12,600 and $21,000. 
Purse of the race $35,000
Winner's share before all everyone gets their cut: $21,500.
Purse if had run 2nd: $7,000 (though fewer shares)
So if his horse didn't at least run 2nd, he still have assured himself of good compensaton,if not similar to the purse money. 
The public defintely overbet his very good horse. 
But perhaps for those who bet and can afford long losing streaks, perhaps the 5-6 exacta box was the "value wager".

Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2006, 10:19:27 PM »

"Steve was in the winners' circle for the photo when Lewis Michael won today's 3rd.  I guess they kissed and made up."

The whole love-hate triangle among FCC, Cat and Leving is like a soap opera. No wonder women (and a few closet men) like that shit. It is real life and it certainly is interesting.

sawd off

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2006, 08:20:20 AM »

As I stated "AS THE SHEDROW TURNS" That operation is bad for racing. Cat can do better than frank. Im sure the $ is good.
poor

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2006, 11:08:25 AM »

Steve has had many jobs including Jock'e agent. He is good at everything he does. Frank will miss him. He does a great job as far as picking horses and is exceptional at pedigrees. Without steve Frank will have to rely on Wayne more to pick horses and buy privately. Steve is needed in an outfit of this size and what they want to get done. Let Wayne do his job, steve do his job (if he gets it back) and Frank well you need to relax, this business is full of ups and downs and not everything you buy is going to be a winner.
edwarren

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2006, 11:22:31 AM »

He's a private consultant. Like Paul Drake is a private detective. Like me. I'm a private consultant.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: