Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 12:05:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC fires Leving!  (Read 2473 times)
nwaryas

« on: July 27, 2006, 06:22:30 AM »

Calabrese is no longer employing Steve Leving. Leving picked up a job at his local Wal-Mart.
Report to moderator   Logged
mel4600

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 07:52:54 AM »

Who hasn't he fired yet?
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »

This is the third time i do believe.  Must be a tough guy to work for.
big wally

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 08:47:33 AM »

Is this the Chicago version of George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin?
ageecee

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:46:27 AM »

who is steve leving and what does he do?
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 09:57:04 AM »

Someone told me that his title was stable manager.  Looked for horses to claim or buy for Mr, Calabrese.  I once witnessed a three way shouting match between Leving, Catalano and Calabrese on the first floor of Hawthorne that looked like it may come to fisticuffs any second.
RunSuckerRun

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 10:23:52 AM »

OFO wrote:
I once witnessed a three way shouting match between Leving, Catalano and Calabrese on the first floor of Hawthorne that looked like it may come to fisticuffs any second.

They tend to operate like that.  Best one I saw was early in the meet was when Catalano had bought a maiden for $20K at OP and then ran it back for $10K at AP first back.  There was about an 8 way shake for the horse and Calabrese and Catalano were both screaming obscenities at each other in the paddock after they lost the horse.  Funny as hell...

-RSR
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 10:26:17 AM »

Years ago Leving worked in the racing office. I don't remember why he was ousted from there, but for some reason memory tells me that he hit a major bet ticket, and there were repercussions. Calabrese hired him after that. Steve is (or maybe now was) stable manager for Calabrese.
Those guys always argue..LOL I've seen many times like the post above where they are ripping into each other.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »

Steve Leving also took over the old chnnel 26 today's racing show - I believe after ed cannaughton retired.  I think he also co hosted with Gallitano, he is an expert when it comes to breeding and pick six betting. 
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 10:36:04 AM »

I think that his brother is that fathers rights attorney (Jeffery Leving?), who is always advertising and self promoting.  Don't ever get cornered by Steve Leving when he is explaing his pick six betting strategies.  Long and boring.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:16:06 AM »

yes his strategies can be intense and complicated but trust me he knows his business, especially breeding!
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »

I've seen many times like the post above where they are ripping into each other.

Sometimes if you got to Arlington early, the three of them and some assorted camp followers could be observed sitting at one of the tables by the food court, and the conversation was always quite spirited in that way. Maybe they enjoy it.  Smiley
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 11:33:38 AM »

As everybody has said, their arguments are riots.  One of the best reasons for going down to the paddock.  It is especialy good when one of Frank's odds on favorites loses.  Everybody has to pass by Frank's spot on the rail back to the jockey quarters or barns and if they are involved in the loss, they really hear about it right there.

Wayne seems to be handling Frank a lot better, taking everything with a grain of salt and giving some back.  They seem to have a love-hate relationship that appears to be holding together longer than in the past.

Steve is a sheets player and Frank is not a believer of that. Frank was always giving him static about it.  Steve probably will be back.  One thing that may have worked against Steve is that he is the one who made the decision to run Lewis Michael in the Colonial race.  Frank wanted to run him in the Mid-America Triple at AP.  The trip to Colonial was a bad experience for Frank.

Frank always wins a lot of races, it is just a question of how much money he is going to lose each year doing that.  Racing is only a part of Frank's business with gambling being the other part.  So I guess he has to offset one business with the other.
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 01:22:53 PM »

I think Calebrese is bad for racing. Horses that get claimed off him and Catelano also don't do well. They pump the hell out of those horses with Steroids and who knows what else! The stats are misleading too. Catelano/Calebrese claim horses for $17,500, wait 30 days, then run them for $13,500. Big deal! Anyone can win doing that but are you gonna make money? Also, I don't like the gambling part of it. Something stinks. I made two other posts that got erased on this thread and you guys can figure out what I said.

Stivo

ZENYATTA THE GREAT! NOT RA!
mel4600

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 01:25:25 PM »

As everybody has said, their arguments are riots.  One of the best reasons for going down to the paddock.  It is especialy good when one of Frank's odds on favorites loses.  Everybody has to pass by Frank's spot on the rail back to the jockey quarters or barns and if they are involved in the loss, they really hear about it right there.

Wayne seems to be handling Frank a lot better, taking everything with a grain of salt and giving some back.  They seem to have a love-hate relationship that appears to be holding together longer than in the past.

Steve is a sheets player and Frank is not a believer of that. Frank was always giving him static about it.  Steve probably will be back.  One thing that may have worked against Steve is that he is the one who made the decision to run Lewis Michael in the Colonial race.  Frank wanted to run him in the Mid-America Triple at AP.  The trip to Colonial was a bad experience for Frank.

Frank always wins a lot of races, it is just a question of how much money he is going to lose each year doing that.  Racing is only a part of Frank's business with gambling being the other part.  So I guess he has to offset one business with the other.
He sure can't be making money betting his horses, they are always chalks.
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 02:26:16 PM »

Maybe he's not betting his horses in those races.

Ed
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 02:27:51 PM »

Ed

That's what I mean. Very fishy!

ZENYATTA THE GREAT! NOT RA!
big wally

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 02:44:54 PM »

Ed

Are you guys are saying he may stiffing his horses to cash a bet? Calabrese is loaded and I mean loaded with cash. I doubt he would risk jail time for $10,000 or even $100,000 score.
Luc

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »

Frank, makes some nice scores betting on gimmicks. He is a sharp bettor. Leving for a guy who is suppose to be so sharp doesn't have a pot to piss in. A few years back he couldn't afford a car.
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 03:23:35 PM »

When I knew him his 1st love was gambling. Up and down, up and down. He's a sharp handicapper.

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »

You are right.  He is on the prowl for other horses with good odds.  He saw one a week ago, went out and looked at it, and advised the trainer and jockey to get that horse to the front right away, just as if Frank was the owner.  I forget, but the horse was something like 14-1.  That horse did get out and win, giving Frank a 35K win at the windows.  All of this was told to me by the trainer so I assume it is true.  As I said, I think Frank trys to supplement his horse business by putting a good amount of money through the windows.  All part of the game, I guess.
Round Table

And then I saw her, coming out of the sun.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 03:44:28 PM »

Always has been.

They ought to return to Tampa and fix the mistake they made.
mel4600

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 07:35:17 PM »

Ed
I don't think he needs to bet at all. His money is not made betting horses in my opinion.
mel4600

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 07:38:44 PM »

You are right.  He is on the prowl for other horses with good odds.  He saw one a week ago, went out and looked at it, and advised the trainer and jockey to get that horse to the front right away, just as if Frank was the owner.  I forget, but the horse was something like 14-1.  That horse did get out and win, giving Frank a 35K win at the windows.  All of this was told to me by the trainer so I assume it is true.  As I said, I think Frank trys to supplement his horse business by putting a good amount of money through the windows.  All part of the game, I guess.
If I were a trainer I'd be embarrassed to admit this to anyone. I don't know Frank personally, however, until now, I was not even aware he was a big player. I have heard plenty of other things.
sawd off

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 08:23:09 PM »

" As The Shedrow Turns" Cat is a sharp horseman and I dont believe he needs Leving to pick the spots or the nags to Claim. Leving is good at what he does, but Frank pays the bills and calls the shots. I dont agree with there strategy of claim wait a month and drop. No way Frank is making any $. I know he doesnt need it. To me thats not winning. Not to many claimers can move one up off Cat. Maybe Frank is going to Promote is right hand man Sid?? Stay tuned for another episode "As The Shedrow Turns".
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: