Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 03:29:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two races cancelled at Arlington  (Read 810 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: August 23, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »

Long rain delay ended up cancelling races 3 and 4. Racing continued with the 5th race.
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:50:19 PM »

Well what the heck kind of "all weather" track is that?

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »

The track wasn't the problem, it poured a couple inches and jockeys won't ride during lightning storms.
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »

What are they saving the turf course for?  They could have raced on the turf.
runninfool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:05:49 PM »

It was a little disappointing to wait an extra 1/2 hour for everyone to come to the same conclusion that our race was being cancelled, but it was the right call. Kudos to the track Maintenance crew for getting the track in shape for the other races, as well as the paddock folks for keeping Mother Nature at bay during the delay.  All The horses in the paddock were all pretty patient.   

Hopefully this race will be back up next week...and on the Turf!
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 07:36:03 PM »

The track wasn't the problem, it poured a couple inches and jockeys won't ride during lightning storms.

Yeah so?

When the Cubs or White Sox experience a rain delay they don't skip a couple innings when they resume play. What was the rush to get the card over with? Does the IRB penalize them if weather delays the card into harness hours?

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »

Yeah so?

When the Cubs or White Sox experience a rain delay they don't skip a couple innings when they resume play. What was the rush to get the card over with? Does the IRB penalize them if weather delays the card into harness hours?

As usual, you are talking without knowledge of what you are talking about.  The storm was like a hurricane with a lot of rain and wind. I sit out in the parking lot for 45 minutes before I was able to get into the grandstand.  There were several large leaks in the building.  The daylight is getting shorter and there may have been an issue of running into the dark if they ran all races.

It was a miracle that they were able to resume racing. The Polytrack handled the large rainfall well.  It looked pretty normal, not like a sealed, muddy, water-logged dirt track.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »

What are they saving the turf course for?  They could have raced on the turf.

What a dumb post!  You certainly are not a trainer. For your information, I think they had six races scheduled for the turf, but, after the rain, you needed a boat to make it around the turf course.  The races should have all been scheduled for the Polytrack as that worked out well, unlike a dirt track. If Arlington still had dirt, I think racing would have been done for the day.
Trainer Rusty

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 08:44:27 PM »

Maybe there were puddles on the grass, so ill concede that point.  Although they did not have to cancel races.  The sun came back out and went down normal time for summer.  They could have finished earlier than a party in the park card.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »

Maybe there were puddles on the grass, so ill concede that point.  Although they did not have to cancel races.  The sun came back out and went down normal time for summer.  They could have finished earlier than a party in the park card.

Were you there today Rusty?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:35:07 PM by Klink » Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »

As usual, you are talking without knowledge of what you are talking about.  The storm was like a hurricane with a lot of rain and wind. I sit out in the parking lot for 45 minutes before I was able to get into the grandstand.  There were several large leaks in the building.  The daylight is getting shorter and there may have been an issue of running into the dark if they ran all races.

It was a miracle that they were able to resume racing. The Polytrack handled the large rainfall well.  It looked pretty normal, not like a sealed, muddy, water-logged dirt track.

Still no reason to cancel those two races. Why cancel those particular two out of the middle of the card, as opposed to say the last two, if it is as you suspect simply a nightfall issue?

My personal hunch is it had more to do with Lasix times.

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 11:41:13 PM »

Still no reason to cancel those two races. Why cancel those particular two out of the middle of the card, as opposed to say the last two, if it is as you suspect simply a nightfall issue?

I am sure that, as you say, there were some issues involved that we did not know about.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »

Yes, the horses in the two races were past their Lasix window. Those in the later races weren't.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 12:52:42 AM »

Yes, the horses in the two races were past their Lasix window. Those in the later races weren't.

Makes much more sense than than the "It was a dark and stormy night" theory.

Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »

I'd say Lasix times causing races to be canceled is a symptom of the sorry state our sport is in.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »

I'd say Lasix times causing races to be canceled is a symptom of the sorry state our sport is in.

Yup, can't run a race unless the horses can be doped first
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »

Yeah so?

I think terry might have a good idea..
they should remove innings during a rain delay...until they removed as many as it takes to get to either 4.5 or how much of the game has been played..

as an example.
you have played 6 innings past the 4.5 inning official game threshold..
for every 15 minutes of rain delay, you remove an inning..

so the maximun amount of time the rain delay could for , innings 7, 8, and 9, would be 45 minutes ..if they delay was 30 minutes..innings 7 and 8 were cancelled, and inning 9 remains..

good point terry..your a genius

Certified Derbytologist
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

good point terry..your a genius

All the credit must go to you, since what I actually wrote was "they don't skip a couple innings when they resume play".

brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »

It is 100% about Lasix time. There is a window for them to be effective and they were out of it.
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

So, a couple of races were called off.After all the harangue about the sorry state of Illinois racing,at this point,what difference does it make? ( To quote our future Queen,er,I mean President.)
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »

So, a couple of races were called off.After all the harangue about the sorry state of Illinois racing,at this point,what difference does it make?

Absolutely none, of course (except to those people who paid $8 admission and got gypped out of 1/4 of the performance they paid to see - did AP hand out rain checks?), but there's a Federal case on the forum every time Hawthorne cancels some races, so to be fair and balanced there must be a Federal case when AP does it, too.

PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »

KIND OF LIKE THE 4 HOUR HOUR DELAY AT THE CUBS GAME COULDN'T GET TARP ON FIELD - GAME CANCEL- GAME UNCANCEL

HEARD THEY SENT HOME TARP WORKERS...

THAT WAS SERIOUS WEATHER- AMAZED RACING ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: