Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 06:53:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: latest edition Arlington newsletter - new writer?  (Read 728 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:02:53 PM »

The latest edition of the Arlington "Post Times" newsletter appears to have been written by an actual professional, as it is lacking the tortured incoherent language and imagery of recent issues, as well as the sneering attitude. I'm just speculating here, and take this as my opinion and my opinion only, but it kind of indicates to me that someone may no longer be employed by AP to write these newsletters. And speculating and opining further, I wonder if this same disappearance might also possibly explain a certain  local "writer's" recent Twitter defamation campaign against AP managers and management, as well as the forum appearance of the same material slightly reworded under the bylines of various fellow traveler lackeys and toadies of that same writer.

Could be, could be, all I know is everything you know is wrong.

Judge for yourself:

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/sites/default/files/u18/082014.pdf

And PS, word on the street is that the names of those supposedly out the door are still appearing in the AP track program, for whatever reason.

Chicago horse racing: What a soap opera.

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »

The latest edition of the Arlington "Post Times" newsletter appears to have been written by an actual professional, as it is lacking the tortured incoherent language and imagery of recent issues, as well as the sneering attitude. I'm just speculating here, and take this as my opinion and my opinion only, but it kind of indicates to me that someone may no longer be employed by AP to write these newsletters. And speculating and opining further, I wonder if this same disappearance might also possibly explain a certain  local "writer's" recent Twitter defamation campaign against AP managers and management, as well as the forum appearance of the same material slightly reworded under the bylines of various fellow traveler lackeys and toadies of that same writer.

Could be, could be, all I know is everything you know is wrong.

Judge for yourself:

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/sites/default/files/u18/082014.pdf

And PS, word on the street is that the names of those supposedly out the door are still appearing in the AP track program, for whatever reason.

Chicago horse racing: What a soap opera.

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy

It was a pretty boring PR piece of already known information with one typing error and one contraction error.  Lacked proof reading, this is a professinal release, not a BTW post.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »

It was a pretty boring PR piece of already known information with one typing error and one contraction error.  Lacked proof reading, this is a professinal release, not a BTW post.

-1, sp.

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 11:54:29 PM »

-1, sp.

As I said, mine was a BTW post, doesn't have to be perfossional.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:08:19 AM »

A welcome change.  When I read those old newsletters I kept hearing the voice of the William H Macy news reporter from the movie Seabiscuit.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:07:43 AM »

A welcome change.  When I read those old newsletters I kept hearing the voice of the William H Macy news reporter from the movie Seabiscuit.

You could understand what William H Macy was talking about.

Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »

i read the article,

seems like the writer was more interested in highlighting the folks involved with the game...

as opposed to documenting the details of the animals..

was there a mention of who sired who, who was a foal of whom ?
race records, money won by the animal..

but there was plenty of verbage related to getting smiles and free tickets from those in position to be in the media eye.

what a gossip blog / ...but what can you expect from a country in which the biggest business now is...gossip...got my cell phone, my tablet, my wireless connection...i can gossip 24/7

butcher to the world, center of rail transportation, auto maker..
that was then...lets gossip about that for the day..fireup that wireless crap, and lest blab

tweet my twitter
sit on my facebook

sent from my rotary maxipad i phone

Certified Derbytologist
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »

i read the article,

seems like the writer was more interested in highlighting the folks involved with the game...

as opposed to documenting the details of the animals..

was there a mention of who sired who, who was a foal of whom ?
race records, money won by the animal..

but there was plenty of verbage related to getting smiles and free tickets from those in position to be in the media eye.

Probably has something to do with human horsemen/connections being the primary audience targeted to read that newsletter, as opposed to horses, which despite Herculean efforts by some humans over the years have steadfastly refused to display much interest in reading. Except of course for Mr. Ed who, you must admit, was something of an exception.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 01:10:26 PM »

Except of course for Mr. Ed who, you must admit, was something of an exception.

Excellent use of the most repeated words in one of the great sitcom theme songs of all time.
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »

Probably has something to do with human horsemen/connections being the primary audience targeted to read that newsletter, as opposed to horses, which despite Herculean efforts by some humans over the years have steadfastly refused to display much interest in reading. Except of course for Mr. Ed who, you must admit, was something of an exception.

i would think if you list the winner of AP's only races of note, you might want to add something about the breeding, (sire , dam, etc., money won, at least the race record) when you list those who hit the board...i would think the humans involved in many aspects, fan, gambler, breeder, etc. would not only gain a better grasp of why , then just listing who.

as an example...

Score one for international connections when
 Adelaide, (A Galileo Colt by Elletelle), ( a Danzig Grand daughter)
 6- 3 -3-0 : Career Earnings: $706,978 in IRE/GB/FR/USA

won the $500,000 Grade I Secretariat Stakes for 3-year-olds

Owned by Derrick  Smith, Mrs. John Magnier, Michael Tabor, John Ingham, Bill Webb, John Murray and Tom Magnier, Adelaide,held firm late to win despite drifting out noticeably in the stretch.

here we learn so much more about the colt..

pffftt... a tabor owned son of galileo, through danzig...
why wouldn't he be ITM ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:02:41 PM by Secretariat » Report to moderator   Logged

Certified Derbytologist
bnlong

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »

Say what you will, I did look forward to the old style newsletter.
Now not so much.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »

i would think if you list the winner of AP's only races of note, you might want to add something about the breeding, (sire , dam, etc., money won, at least the race record) when you list those who hit the board...i would think the humans involved in many aspects, fan, gambler, breeder, etc. would not only gain a better grasp of why , then just listing who.

as an example...

Score one for international connections when
 Adelaide, (A Galileo Colt by Elletelle), ( a Danzig Grand daughter)
 6- 3 -3-0 : Career Earnings: $706,978 in IRE/GB/FR/USA

won the $500,000 Grade I Secretariat Stakes for 3-year-olds

Snore.

nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »

The purpose of the newsletter is,as Red said in Shawshank Redemption,so young men like you can wear a tie and have a job.No one reads that stuff anyway.
1st over

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 12:16:53 PM »

believe newsletter under Jim O'D was aimed at owners and legislators    it wasn't good, it was great. now w/ Mr. D's decline, it's a complete waste of time. from a pure business angle, CDI has no choice but to shake up management here during off-season     not a question of if, simple question of when. anybody think shareholders aren't watching AP's disaster after disaster?

ps- after paying my $$$ for ticket and seat on Million Day, even WiFi didn't work correctly so I couldn't bet or handicap the way I wanted to. They were probably lucky they only had 16K on track

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »

believe newsletter under Jim O'D was aimed at owners and legislators    it wasn't good, it was great.

It defeated its own purpose with the tortured and incomprehensible language and imagery. It was more about "look at me, I think I'm a real clever writer!" than communicating ideas and arguments clearly.

now w/ Mr. D's decline, it's a complete waste of time. from a pure business angle, CDI has no choice but to shake up management here during off-season not a question of if, simple question of when. anybody think shareholders aren't watching AP's disaster after disaster?

AP's problems this summer stem from a decision made at the corporate level, and the subsequent backlash of the horse player boycott.

AP's problems overall are due in large part to the heavy handed role CDI tries to play in Illinois racing politics. When the corporation in Kentucky cares most about its ADW profits and blocks meaningful legislation that would help live racing in Illinois, that's on them, not AP.

ps- after paying my $$$ for ticket and seat on Million Day, even WiFi didn't work correctly so I couldn't bet or handicap the way I wanted to. They were probably lucky they only had 16K on track

16k lifelong Arlington fans and horsemen who couldn't care less where purses come from, all trying to get an IP address at the same time so they can bet through some out-of-state service, would be my guess.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »

They were probably lucky they only had 16K on track

Was that you I saw at the entrance with the little round silver counter thingy that the Andy Frain ushers used to use?  You might have missed a few.
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »

16k lifelong Arlington fans and horsemen who couldn't care less where purses come from, all trying to get an IP address at the same time so they can bet through some out-of-state service, would be my guess.

Default android behavior is try to connect to wifi first, regardless of signal strength. Don't know about ios.
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 02:56:04 PM »

IOS does the same thing, although I believe this is a default more often by your carrier than your device.
bnlong

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »

It defeated its own purpose with the tortured and incomprehensible language and imagery. It was more about "look at me, I think I'm a real clever writer!" than communicating ideas and arguments clearly.
That was his umm "style?" Alfred Damon Runyon he aint!
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 03:27:31 PM »

The biggest problem AP had / has - switching to the polly, it killed the golden goose. I never bought an admission ticket since then

i need money, i run a bad animal, i collect insurance..
noooooo, no one would EVER do that....it must be the surface..
lets get rid of the dirt

stupid, novice, naive north suburaan henpecked men in dresses  out there

Certified Derbytologist
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »

The last time I went to Keeneland for a NHC qualifier, they blocked the addresses to all the ADW sites...without telling us in advance!

Of course, they are not affiliated with my ADW in any way, so I couldn't make a withdrawal from my ADW account and bet through the windows at Keeneland. They got creamed on local handle that day, with about 100 other guys in the same position as me.

Smoove!  screwy
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 04:12:30 PM »

Default android behavior is try to connect to wifi first, regardless of signal strength. Don't know about ios.

So they can get in their phone settings and turn off wifi, and just bet through their cell carrier, right?

Just not gonna get much sympathy from me for guys who want to use the free track wifi to bypass the track's own betting windows. Boo hoo.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:14:12 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »

So they can get in their phone settings and turn off wifi, and just bet through their cell carrier, right?

Just not gonna get much sympathy from me for guys who want to use the free track wifi to bypass the track's own betting windows. Boo hoo.

Every smart phone carried by every man/woman/child is trying to access wifi without them doing anything. Then you have people watching movies or other sports events, kids playing online games, phones downloading updates....
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 06:16:33 PM »

Every smart phone carried by every man/woman/child is trying to access wifi without them doing anything. Then you have people watching movies or other sports events, kids playing online games, phones downloading updates....

Well, right. So if there's a bunch of people at the track and all their phones are clogging up the AP wireless access points, whether they are betting or not betting, let the guy who wants to bet get into his phone options, turn off the wifi, and bet on his own dime with his cell provider. I don't see it as the track's responsibility to have to put in that kind of Internet infrastructure to enable guys to bypass their on-track tote system no matter what the crowd size.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: