Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 02:10:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxi: Stolen from private property  (Read 1886 times)
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »

Now, I've managed about 40 horses in my time so far, never ONCE have I had one bleed in a WORK and our horses either DO NOT get lasix for AM Drills, or get 1/4 of what they are normally getting. I've had one bleed thru lasix in a race, and she was retired and donated a week after that race.

How many first time starters did you have in your career?
Report to moderator   Logged
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 08:24:56 PM »

How many first time starters did you have in your career?

Probably 35 of them. Most were homebreds or horses bought at sales. Why does that matter?

I've probably already said too much on this whole thing, I'm pretty confident in my info and when it all comes out, and it will, the people causing issues will not end up looking good, and this will all end up being a waste of time for all involved.

honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 08:41:27 PM »

Never a dull moment on the backsides of racetracks.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »

Probably 35 of them. Most were homebreds or horses bought at sales. Why does that matter?

So you had 35 horses that were first time starters and no lasix in the first race? True or false? If true, you are the only trainer in the last 25 years that can make that statement.
Klink

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 06:27:18 AM »

So you had 35 horses that were first time starters and no lasix in the first race? True or false? If true, you are the only trainer in the last 25 years that can make that statement.

Hey Mel..How are you? Full disclosure here...Scav is my racing manager (not trainer) for Bob Gary Racing and his point on our # of starters is true. I have bought about 30 yearlings from Keeneland the last 10 years along with breeding 6 IL and Ontario Breds. Many have run and/or trained the first time with lasix, but have certainly never bled through it to the degree that the above mentioned horse seems to have. And if they had, it would have been instant retirement.  That is as far as I'm going in this debate because other than knowing that Gail has found great homes for any of my horses that weren't track worthy any more, I too do not know enough of the facts to comment and will stay out of this debate.
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34:29 AM »

False, they ALL recieved lasix in first race but 1 or 2. All of our horses gets lasix because we are of the belief that it protects the horse.

I would rather prevent a horse from bleeding instead of waiting for him to bleed. Seeing a horse bleed out his nostrils is not for the faint of heart nor is it something I want any of our horses going through, so why not do whatever we can do to prevent it.
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »

Klink and Scav...I am not choosing sides her or trying to get into a debate. I know Klink is a good and honorable man and have no doubt that he does what he says. I also have a major fault in treating horses like pets more than I should and put their well being #1. I still have horses that I raced and retired finding good homes for them and never taking a dime. I still have a 14 year old that was my favorite on a farm near me that I pay for every month (not just out in a pasture, still have him groomed regularly and he looks race ready today). Pinnacle Farm in Wisconsin is a great place to keep your horse long term or short term.

Having said all that, I like to hear the other side of the story before I make a decision. Scav, when you said you never had a horse bleed during a work yet the majority of 35 or so horses had their first start with lasix, I am of the understanding that a horse must bleed first before they are allowed to use lasix. Has that changed? I also did some research on this horse "Taxi" and if this is a 3 year old I can't find any races or published works on this horse. The only other horses called Tax are to old to be racing with the exception of one in Mexico.

Lastly, I like when people who mistreat horses are exposed for what they are, I just like to see all the facts first.
bnlong

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »

Klink and Scav...I am not choosing sides her or trying to get into a debate. I know Klink is a good and honorable man and have no doubt that he does what he says. I also have a major fault in treating horses like pets more than I should and put their well being #1. I still have horses that I raced and retired finding good homes for them and never taking a dime. I still have a 14 year old that was my favorite on a farm near me that I pay for every month (not just out in a pasture, still have him groomed regularly and he looks race ready today). Pinnacle Farm in Wisconsin is a great place to keep your horse long term or short term.

Having said all that, I like to hear the other side of the story before I make a decision. Scav, when you said you never had a horse bleed during a work yet the majority of 35 or so horses had their first start with lasix, I am of the understanding that a horse must bleed first before they are allowed to use lasix. Has that changed? I also did some research on this horse "Taxi" and if this is a 3 year old I can't find any races or published works on this horse. The only other horses called Tax are to old to be racing with the exception of one in Mexico.

Lastly, I like when people who mistreat horses are exposed for what they are, I just like to see all the facts first.
Taxi is a nickname his real name is MAGNA FORTUNA also witnessing a horse bleed before being allowed Lasix went out about 25 years ago its now allowed as a race day treatment regardless...........
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:13:34 AM by bnlong » Report to moderator   Logged
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »

Taxi is a nickname his real name is MAGNA FORTUNA also witnessing a horse bled before being allowed Lasix went out about 25 years ago its now allowed as a race day treatment regardless...........

Ahhh...thanks for all the clarity.
bnlong

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »

This breeder attached a note on her Jockey club papers, yet that wasn't good enough

http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/2014/08/21/breeder-takes-starved-t-bred-home-in-tears/
mel4600

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 10:43:18 AM »

This breeder attached a note on her Jockey club papers, yet that wasn't good enough

http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/2014/08/21/breeder-takes-starved-t-bred-home-in-tears/

This is a horrific story! Hopes the horse makes a 100% recovery.
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »

Hawthorne had no problem publishing a handful of the partners - http://www.hawthorneracecourse.com/horsemen/stakes/milwaukeeavenueh-noms.pdf

It would be interesting to know which dirtbag horseman accepted the horse, I'm sure we will find out soon enough

This has to be one of the most disgusting stories that I've heard about in thoroughbred racing
Seems like the turf monster has his or her own agenda.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »

My agenda here is the ethical treatment of this horse

I do not know who has the horse, and I do not know who made the decision to move it to the track.  All I know is that it's been demonstrated that this horse is put in a painful condition when treated as a racehorse, and it is therefore unethical to treat it as a racehorse. 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »

TTM judges quickly and judges harshly, no matter what the subject. You just learn to take it for what it is.

Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 02:08:28 PM »

Most, if not all, horseplayers I've ever met believe the horse's welfare should come first. In addition, we do believe that an unsound horse in a race is deceitful to the horseplayer because our expectation is that only sound horses are in a race. In Taxi's case, had his planned retirement not been publicized, I doubt I would have seen anything in his past performances to have known he had serious bleeding while on Lasix during a workout. Now that I know about it, I would not wager on him. I don't understand why anyone would want to race him again when we are aware of his physical problems as well as the dispute that's going on with the owners.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2014, 09:24:36 AM »

Ray Paulick has a story with more details:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/court-battle-sullies-feel-good-story-of-rescue-racehorse-magna-fortuna/

The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

Donohoe and Boyce are disgusting people, absolute human trash
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2014, 10:00:38 AM »

Well, at least the partners are back in the public eye.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2014, 10:01:47 AM »

Donohoe and Boyce are disgusting people, absolute human trash

I think the story did a good job explaining their side of things.

The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2014, 10:11:28 AM »

It did, but they're trash because they were front and center blogging and giving interviews when the horse's story first came out and with subsequent victories.  As soon as the horse's well being was called into question, they ran to court and subsequently repossessed the horse that was unfit to race.

If they are doing this because the horse wants to race, I'm sure Boyce is training it for free and Donohoe/the LLC will be donating its winnings to charity - right?  You and I both know that this is about dirtbag horsemen trying to squeeze every last penny out of a horse against its well-being
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:13:18 AM by The Turf Monster » Report to moderator   Logged
onthebit1

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »

Having just caught up on this thread, I wanted to thank everyone for their concern regarding Taxi's well-being. While I am cautioned by legal counsel as to what I can and cannot disclose, please know that we fully intend to take any and all legal steps available to us to protect Taxi.

mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2014, 01:12:26 PM »

Happens every day at tracks all over the country, racing is not exactly a public zoo!
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »

I think the story did a good job explaining their side of things.

This was a good article and let me know there are TWO sides to this story.  I think both sides have some valid claims and both sides really care for the horse.
childewood

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »

I hope Taxi runs.
If he runs that means he is a healthy horse.
I know the connections would not race a horse unfit for racing.
I agree with Dan, Paulick's story was from both sides. Well done, Ray...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: