Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 23, 2014, 06:33:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did DI get the $20,000,000 to buy the NJC note ?  (Read 5087 times)
Sir Blockheadd

« on: July 12, 2006, 10:30:49 AM »

If DI bought the NJC note from Harris Bank, where did they get the $20,000,000, was it on their balance sheet, or did DI borrow from someone to buy this note, and if so, from whom?
it would seem to me whomever lent the money to DI, if that is what occurred, is the force behind DI.
Report to moderator   Logged
emp

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:43:52 AM »

If DI bought the NJC note from Harris Bank, where did they get the $20,000,000, was it on their balance sheet, or did DI borrow from someone to buy this note, and if so, from whom?
it would seem to me whomever lent the money to DI, if that is what occurred, is the force behind DI.

Pocket change
David

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 10:45:21 AM »

exactly just took it out of petty cash, they are a private company so they don't need to answer to anybody
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 10:59:21 AM »

Pocket change

in the 6th year of the republican regime, i dobt $20,000,000 is pocket chnge to anyone, cept haliburton.

sure they are a private company,but they still need to answer to the board of directors of that company, and more importantly, if I were on the IRB I would want an answer to that question, as it is at the crux of who is controlling the company. Privatr companies wrapped in public regualted industries still have to answer to the public.
David

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:48:20 AM »

I'm sure they have a Board of Directors, but so what? It's the mans company and if he wants to buy this debt he can go right ahead, as far as who controls the company it again is controlled by Mr. D, and the IRB or nobody else has ever had a problem with him, DI actually owns a whole ton of those shares in Churchill from the buyout so in fact they are already in the horse racing business in this state.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:32:31 PM »

Since it is only the bank note and not the business per say it is a totally private transaction and therefore DI has no reason to tell anybody. But as I have said before, DI and all its sub companies amount to a multi BILLION dollar business and from what I have been told by other sources they are for the most part debt free, so 20 million, 30 million or whatever he paid I am sure they paid in cash.

Now lets see what happens to Hawthorne.....will Magna make a play for them as they are on the ropes financially too??
edwarren

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »

Harris bank, for what it's worth, is the in-the-pocket bank of the Bank of Montreal, run by the Bronfmann's. That's what I've read anyway.
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »

Since it is only the bank note and not the business per say it is a totally private transaction and therefore DI has no reason to tell anybody. But as I have said before, DI and all its sub companies amount to a multi BILLION dollar business and from what I have been told by other sources they are for the most part debt free, so 20 million, 30 million or whatever he paid I am sure they paid in cash.

Now lets see what happens to Hawthorne.....will Magna make a play for them as they are on the ropes financially too??

the accounting for this transaction is most important.
where did they get $20,000,000.
i doubt seriously if DI has $20,000,000 in current assets.
they borrowed this money from somebody.

debit cash $20,000,000
credit Note payable - lender to DI of the $20,000,000

debit - Investments (buy note)$20,000,000
credit cash $20,000,000

remaining balance sheet accounts after cash entries offset.

Investment in note $20,000,000
Note payable (where DI money to buy note came from) $20,000,000

now you have a new assets on the balance sheet of DI, and a corrsponding new liability for $20,000,000.

unless the lender who gave DI the $20,000,000 is made public, i would not give AP any racing dates, this could be mob money.

full disclosure of this transaction is needed.
as a taxpayer of the state of illinois, i demand to know who is behind this deal.
big wally

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 02:05:40 PM »

Come on.. DI is one of the largest privatley held CORPORATIONS in the country.. you really think they dont have $20 million..
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 02:08:33 PM »

Harris bank, for what it's worth, is the in-the-pocket bank of the Bank of Montreal, run by the Bronfmann's. That's what I've read anyway.

Bank of Montreal bought Harris Bank in 1984, and is their U.S. based Retail and Commercial bank.
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 02:15:50 PM »

Come on.. DI is one of the largest privatley held CORPORATIONS in the country.. you really think they dont have $20 million..

i haven't seen their balance sheet, but believe me i have seen thousand s of others, $20,000,000 in cash ..

totally preposterous, DD may want you to think he has that, but i doubt it.

i don't know for a fact that DI is one one of the largest privately owned companires in the country, what do they own ??

i have never seen their name on a Crains list as a top company.
or at least i don't recall seeing it.

someone find a crains chicago business article that lists the top privately held companies in the country.

big wally

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 02:55:29 PM »

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/mag/article.pl?article_id=24629&bt=duchossois&arc=n&searchType=all

READ
edwarren

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 03:07:04 PM »

deleted
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:19:50 PM by edwarren » Report to moderator   Logged
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »

thank you Wally,
i had no idea that they where that large.
and while it lists the assets they have and there rumored value,
it says nothing about the underlying liabilities, a mistake made by most americans.
you see the assets but not the bills that come in the mail,
the liabilities

given the paper assets that they seem to posses, it could very well be that they themselves sold something to get the 20,000,000.
but i still doubt if it was just sitting on their balance sheet.
i still feel they borrowed it from someone, using thier assets as collateral. i still would like to know where the financing came from.
the third and most important GAAP financial statement is the statement of changes in cash. this statement would state directly on its face where the funds came from.

again, we have not seen the entire balance sheet, just the asset side.

and now i can see why we will never have slots in Illinois, the state will not enrich this group any further with the taxpayers funds.
i know i would not vote for any such thing if i where given the vote.
In fact the DI group shopuld be subsidizing racing in Illinois.
Now tht I se what they have, i see no reason they don't establish a not for profit organization that funds the development of thoroughbred racing in Illinois.

maybe noone had told DD... you can't take it with ya.

benevelonce, a word that seems to have skipped by there greedy clan in
theri further attempts at bringing thier will to power into the forefront.

After reading this DON"TANYONE EVER TELL ME THAT AP HAS NO PURSE MONEY FOR DIRT RACES---BULLSHIT!!!!
edwarren

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 03:56:14 PM »

They are that large. It's called life extension.

I HAVE A PLANE TO CATCH !!!!!!!
emp

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 04:04:29 PM »

i haven't seen their balance sheet, but believe me i have seen thousand s of others, $20,000,000 in cash ..

totally preposterous, DD may want you to think he has that, but i doubt it.

i don't know for a fact that DI is one one of the largest privately owned companires in the country, what do they own ??

i have never seen their name on a Crains list as a top company.
or at least i don't recall seeing it.

someone find a crains chicago business article that lists the top privately held companies in the country.

Here's some info.....
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=CHDN
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 04:35:38 PM »

The notes 20 million I doubt he paid that maybe 60 cents on the dollar Harris just want out I'd imagine.DD wanted that trump card so next year he can run 3-4 days a week starting earlier and going  longer
dogs up

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 04:42:41 PM »

i can see why sir blockhead is called sir blockhead-- i am sure mr d has that as chump change
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »

The notes 20 million I doubt he paid that maybe 60 cents on the dollar Harris just want out I'd imagine.DD wanted that trump card so next year he can run 3-4 days a week starting earlier and going  longer

i would have to somewhat agree with that. i doubt they bought the note at par value. they may have gotten some funds from CD Inc, who knows.

one thing is for certain DI, needs to stop crying poor, those
twofaced pieces of crap. they could fund racing for years without having a single dollar of revenue. it sickens me to view that balance sheet and see that they do so little for racing except take more and more, abslutely sickens me. i will never hold that family in anything but the lowest esteem possible. their grred is so magnanimus, i cannot imagnine how selfish and dark your soul has to be to be like that,

it is amazing to me!
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »

This story says $28M:
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=65033&subsec=1
dogs up

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 04:54:35 PM »

dear sir blackhead

while you continue to rip into mr d- let's remember just a couple of details--when the insurance came in after the fire he was not required to rebuild anything--in fact- looking back on all the grief idiots like you give him, he shouldn't have rebuilt--- the fact is that he stayed in illinois, rebuilt the track and created what is still in the opinion of many who have actually been to other race tracks, the best racing facility around.-- it is clean, it is well maintained, you do not have to walk over panhandlers and assorted bums like you do at hawthorne,and mosat people who go there actually enjoy themselves even if they lose money.

everyone knows, or should know, that njc is and has been backrupt, at least on paper, for several years. maybe now they will not be able to give their host day money to hawthorn, which according to the illinois thoroughbred owners association, was an agreement that was made so that hawthorn purses this fall would not be substantially below arlington's--- frankly i hope DD uses this to his full advantage
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 04:56:08 PM »

Ironically, both Duchossois and the father of the National Jockey Club president, Charles W. (Stormy) Bidwill, are members of the board of directors of Churchill Downs, Inc., the parent company of Arlington.—

should be some interesting discussions around Cd's board room huh

Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 05:08:44 PM »

dear sir blackhead

while you continue to rip into mr d- let's remember just a couple of details--when the insurance came in after the fire he was not required to rebuild anything--in fact- looking back on all the grief idiots like you give him, he shouldn't have rebuilt--- the fact is that he stayed in illinois, rebuilt the track and created what is still in the opinion of many who have actually been to other race tracks, the best racing facility around.-- it is clean, it is well maintained, you do not have to walk over panhandlers and assorted bums like you do at hawthorne,and mosat people who go there actually enjoy themselves even if they lose money.

everyone knows, or should know, that njc is and has been backrupt, at least on paper, for several years. maybe now they will not be able to give their host day money to hawthorn, which according to the illinois thoroughbred owners association, was an agreement that was made so that hawthorn purses this fall would not be substantially below arlington's--- frankly i hope DD uses this to his full advantage

at the beginning of the post i was curious to see how the note was acquired, i see now, how it was; and in the process you all have educated me somewhat on who owns what and to what degree the money makes it way through the industry here.
thanks for your help.

i am just a fan of the game, i watch the races and bet on them occasionlly, i have no interest in the politics of who owns what, or who is using there clout to take from someone else.these parts of life are not my concern. possessions do not provide freedom, in fact possessions, if you have ever had enough of them, you will find, tend to become possessors of you, not the other way round, because you waste all your time concerned with loosing what you posses.

in conclusion,
if dd wants to cry poor, well good for him,

if he wants to take from the bidwells, who have had a long relationship with illinois racing,and destroy that,i guess he can,
even though he seems to have more than enough already

i call that greed, plain and simple.
i don;t care for bullys, never have, but he sems to be the bully here.
there is no upside to what he is doing, he has enough, tearing down others to further his wealth at this point, is just shamefull.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 06:48:59 PM »

Blockhead....GREED??? You have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. DD and his family contribute more money to so many charities that he was requested that most of them never make public that money has come from he and or his family. Go take a look at the Cancer Treatment Center at University of Chicago and see whose name is on the building.....he has given them MILLIONS of dollars for research and equipment. When that boy in Arlington Heights was paralyzed from a football injury who bought the family a fully equipped van and GAVE it to them? When Gene Cielio and JR Smith learned they had cancer who got them in to see the best Drs. U of C had? Who donates and helps fund one of the local Hospice centers in the area? DD and his family have always been very giving when it comes to any charity or cause. So please spare me your blue collar, these guys are rich so they must be scum, they dont deserve anything from anyone attitude. It really gets me when someone like you who does nothing but *** about everything slams someone who does good with what he has and helps people, while you do nothing but suck wind

AP is part of a public company now and by law they couldnt fund things the way you wanted them to anyway. Besides last time I checked this is AMERICA and people own and run businesses to MAKE MONEY, I dont understand why people like you *** about people who are successful and have made money....isnt that the American Dream? So if some one reaches that dream why slam them? If the IRB doesnt care where the money came from why should you anyway?

Really blockhead I would love to see things from your point of view, but I dont think both our heads would fit up your ass.......
First Samurai

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 06:51:13 PM »

i would have to somewhat agree with that. i doubt they bought the note at par value. they may have gotten some funds from CD Inc, who knows.

one thing is for certain DI, needs to stop crying poor, those
twofaced pieces of crap. they could fund racing for years without having a single dollar of revenue. it sickens me to view that balance sheet and see that they do so little for racing except take more and more, abslutely sickens me. i will never hold that family in anything but the lowest esteem possible. their grred is so magnanimus, i cannot imagnine how selfish and dark your soul has to be to be like that,

it is amazing to me!
Have you ever seen the Beverly D cancer center in Maywood? Do you know how much $$$ Mr. D has give annonymously? Have any idea how much he pays out in salaries at D.I.? He's one of the true greats of racing and will always have a friendly "thanks for coming" to strangers and a more friendly "how are you doing to familiar faces." Just because he's wealthy he's supposed to give it away?
I'm fairly sure Hill 'N Dale is worth 20 million and the man is worth over a billion so that 20 million represents about 4 mos. of interest at 6%.
 Get a clue Blocky

Turn the page.......
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »

What difference does it make where Duchossois Industries got the money or who approved it? They are buying a debt instrument, not a racetrack. It's the same as if they bought some mortgages. The IRB might be concerned if the mafia bought the debt, but Duchossois holding it is pretty much the same as the bank holding it.

Arlington Park is no longer affiliated with Duchossois Industries. It's part of Churchill Downs, Inc.

That said, there's no illusion what this is all about. Long ago Mr. D said he built the new Arlington to be the only thoroughbred track in Chicago. This is the latest installment in his attempt to assert a monopoly over local thoroughbred dates. Whether that is bad or good depends on your outlook.
jimk

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 08:08:56 PM »

You guys have me all choked up. I used to think of RLD like Mr. Potter from It's a wonderful life, but after hearing you guys from now on I will think of him more Like Father Flanagan from Boys Town. I hope you tell all those malcontents that live on the backstretch the same stories so they can feel nice and warm and fuzzy about Grandpa Flanagan.
David

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 08:18:35 PM »

I think DI still owns most of the Churchill stock that is mentioned in the article, although I think it has been transfering the stock to different family members, trusts, etc. etc. as part of estate planning.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/stories/2000/06/19/daily23.html

Mr. D is a good man, has done alot of good things in his life, think of the tousands of families who have suported themselves and built thier life through working for him or some of his companies. All the charity he has bestowed, some of which has his name on the Building - most which does not

Some here may not agree with his vision for the future of Illinois racing and that might be legitimate, but I don't think he needs to take the bad rap he has, perception often isn't reality and unfortunatley peoples perception of him isn't positive - with his money, he probably should hire a decent pr firm as it doesn't seem he gets a fair shake in alot of ways.

Statman can correct me if I'm wrong, but I  think Harris Bank bought out the chain that the former Senator Fitzgerald's family had, such as Suburban Bank of fill in the blank town, and that his family has a nice chunk of the operation or of Bank of Montreal parent now- none of which really matters I guess.
First Samurai

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »

You guys have me all choked up. I used to think of RLD like Mr. Potter from It's a wonderful life, but after hearing you guys from now on I will think of him more Like Father Flanagan from Boys Town. I hope you tell all those malcontents that live on the backstretch the same stories so they can feel nice and warm and fuzzy about Grandpa Flanagan.

those malcontents are lucky to have clean water and to be in the USA. Still beats living under a semi working for a carnival. Or staying in Mexico or furrther south working for a dollar a day.

Turn the page.......
big wally

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »

I think RLD master plan is to take all the t-breds regardless what he says in public. Looking at his finances he could care less about about the 3% ... I think he would what like nothing more than the casino lawsuit to last a long time (at 84 not too long) and squeeze Hawthorne dry... I can not believe he will play nice nice with Bidwell's  it cut throat time.... It Pissed him off that Niles OTB was open now its time to get back ... The Million Dollar Question is what will Hawthorne do?..... My eyes are open now this is the reason the tracks  or at least RLD do not want settle with  the Casino's.... This is great.... Capitalism at its finest
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 09:02:35 PM by big wally » Report to moderator   Logged
edwarren

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 08:37:12 PM »

Blockhead....GREED??? You have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. DD and his family contribute more money to so many charities that he was requested that most of them never make public that money has come from he and or his family. Go take a look at the Cancer Treatment Center at University of Chicago and see whose name is on the building.....he has given them MILLIONS of dollars for research and equipment. When that boy in Arlington Heights was paralyzed from a football injury who bought the family a fully equipped van and GAVE it to them? When Gene Cielio and JR Smith learned they had cancer who got them in to see the best Drs. U of C had? Who donates and helps fund one of the local Hospice centers in the area? DD and his family have always been very giving when it comes to any charity or cause. So please spare me your blue collar, these guys are rich so they must be scum, they dont deserve anything from anyone attitude. It really gets me when someone like you who does nothing but *** about everything slams someone who does good with what he has and helps people, while you do nothing but suck wind

I'm not buyin' it. The quality of healthcare has declined so dramatically since Mr. D built his so-called cancer clinic. Now you'll be telling me Oprah's a saint because she builds a few houses or a school or Ty Pennington's a great guy 'cause he works for Sears and has a TV show. Most charity goes right down the rat-hole. And I know a guy, a director of a charity, bought a house and dropped a TON of money into it, just from "managing" the foundation. A hot dog cost $6.75?  You'll need CHARITY after they're DONE working you AND your wallet over. Fool.

And David, many people work for Frank and they've compared that to being a SLAVE. How do you like that?
jimk

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 08:55:23 PM »

First Sam sounds like you have a case of that unbridled benevolence that flows from Grandpa himself. Thank you so much for the clean water and the clear recognition of how LUCKY it is to be living on the backstretch.
David

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 09:11:10 PM »

Frank who?
big wally

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »

Frank who?

Calabrese?
David

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 09:19:26 PM »

And how does this relate to Mr. D?
BeauNarro

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »

Sounds like a lot of jealousy to me here.
Dick D. is definately out for himself and his family - but he has done what all of us wish we could do.
Yes, he donates millions - and yes it's a tax write off. I'll bet we all wish we could donate so much and still live high on the hog.
Clockerterry - I really think he wants Hawthorne around because he still needs them in order for Arlington to have a sucessful meet. He may want all the best dates, but he wants them around for the early spring and late fall because he doesn't have the facility, track surface or track lights to have racing during those times. If Hawthorne closed, Arlington would have MUCH worse fields then they have now. GUARANTEED!
Now, on the other hand - maybe Dick wants to buy Hawthorne himself to run on those dates. All power to him if he does. The Carey family screwed themselves and they deserve whatever they get out of all this. I still absolutely can't understand why ANY family member would have wanted to merge with NJC. It NEVER made one ounce of sense. If anyone here can explain that reasoning to me please do - it should make for some interesting discussion.
nwaryas

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 10:20:28 PM »

Mr. D still owns a track out in Moline. It's a harness track. He has been trying to open for years. I heard about the two years ago from the track vet.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006, 10:35:10 PM »

"I really think he wants Hawthorne around because he still needs them in order for Arlington to have a sucessful meet. He may want all the best dates, but he wants them around for the early spring and late fall because he doesn't have the facility, track surface or track lights to have racing during those times. If Hawthorne closed, Arlington would have MUCH worse fields then they have now. GUARANTEED!"

Beau,

Astute observation.

I agree on all counts! Arlington Park ABSOLUTELY needs Hawthorne more than Hawthorne needs them. AP doesn't want to winterize their track, put in lights and race during the cold weather when the mom, pop and rugrat in a stroller crowd wouldn't be there. It would cost them more money to open the joint than it would be worth. I'm sure there would be more people at Hawthorne betting on Arlington than there would be at Arlington betting on Arlington.

Besides, if the Hawthorne trainers headed south to GP and FG, who's to say that they'd come back? They may stay for Oaklawn, the Texas tracks and LAD. I know they are, for the most part, Chicago people, but they need to make a living too.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2006, 11:40:30 PM »

Ed, Do you have any personal experience with the University of Chicago and the Cancer Treatment Center? If not I would ask you to do some research before you speak. Besides being one of the top treatment centers for cancer in the US they are also leaders in new treatment and clinical studies. Im not sure what health care system you go to for treatment but last time I looked everyone from around the world tries to come here for treatment. And what would the quality of health care have to do with the amount of money anyone donates? Still have have to laugh at those of you who still complain about DD and his money even when you know of all the things he donates to. You can complain about what you feel he does wrong in racing, but geez at least give him credit for the good he does do for people.

Speaking of Father Flanagan , did you know that Bill Thayer (Sr. VP of AP) grew up in Boys Town?

And just what "malcontents" on the backside are you talking about? The ones who do not live there or work there but tried to raise a fuss over the housing there? Because to the best of my knowledge there is not now or has there been anyone complaining about the living conditions on track. Keep in mind this is first track that even let families live on track. They also live there for free. Those rooms were never built for families, but those who bring families to live there choose to do so and they know full well what the rooms are like. So once again more complaining by flaks who dont know what they are talking about. You want to look at bad rooms? Go to the barn area at Hawthorne, take a deep breath of that fresh air and tell me where you would rather live?

Beau, I agree with you Hawthorne and Fairmount must remain open. I do not think DD has any designs on taking over all of Illinois racing. Rather I think he wants to tailor it in a way that is best for Arlington Park. Just as Hawthorne would like to do the same. My money is still going on the idea that Hawthorne will sell to someone in the next year or two. At that point maybe the new owners will relocate the track somewhere that makes sense and is better built for todays racing in the colder months. I am still wondering why Stronach was here a few weeks ago at AP for an ILLINOIS political fund raiser.....by the way do not forget that Sportsmans...and now DD owns the TEMPORARY barns that are at Hawthorne.....if things were to get nasty the key word is TEMPORARY.

And as far as playing nice with the Bidwills, he already has, this note deal was done days ago but he didnt want it announced until he met personally with Stormy out of respect for him to discuss things. Stormy and DD get along better than many realize anyway.
edwarren

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2006, 03:32:16 AM »

Frank who?

deleted
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 05:28:39 AM by edwarren » Report to moderator   Logged
jimk

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2006, 05:46:50 AM »

Jim following your logic that anyone living on the backstretch should not complain because they chose to live there, then I guess nobody should complain about the third-rate racing at AP because we chose to wager there. Thanks for the logic I feel better about AP allready. As far as calling people who disagree with you "flaks"[ must be a new north shore after cocktail hour term] I guess that gives me the right to call someone here an ass-kissing toady.
big wally

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2006, 06:20:02 AM »

He is up to something and I dont think it is just shortening up the racing dates from March to June.... A lot of people think the Carey's want out .. I cant belive Magna would be interesting in Hawthorne unless there were slots orr casino Money.... About the Nice Nice thing with the Bidwell's according to all the articles the NJC did not see it coming, public information over the years says RLD thinks NJC should not  have racing dates due to their finances ....  About Ap needing Hawthorne if Hawthorne were to close AP would have all the racing dates.. They could just run from mid-apr till the end of october... The purses here as this time are more than in texas, fla or LAd (except for la breds) if this were to happen purses would go up around a 1/3rd(guess), belive me horseman would come from texas and Fla if we were to start MSW around the 36K-40K range ... Conclusion AP does not neeed  Hawthorne
First Samurai

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2006, 08:28:51 AM »

First Sam sounds like you have a case of that unbridled benevolence that flows from Grandpa himself. Thank you so much for the clean water and the clear recognition of how LUCKY it is to be living on the backstretch.

I try... now you get it. Maybe you could invite some of them to live with you. Or maybe we could put in dirt floors, stop the fresh water, and make residents pay rent so they could feel more like they're home. Oh I forgot the Chicklets gum. LOL

Turn the page.......
Sir Blockheadd

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 12:20:22 PM »

AP is part of a public company now and by law they couldnt fund things the way you wanted them to anyway. Besides last time I checked this is AMERICA and people own and run businesses to MAKE MONEY, I dont understand why people like you *** about people who are successful and have made money....isnt that the American Dream? So if some one reaches that dream why slam them? If the IRB doesnt care where the money came from why should you anyway?

Really blockhead I would love to see things from your point of view, but I dont think both our heads would fit up your ass.......

jeez, your sooo stupid, seriously, its almost scary

an idiot wind that blows everytime you move your mouth
from the grand cooley dam headin south...

your an idiot babe...
its a wonder you even know how to breath..

you must be less than forty, only your generation thinks insult after insult is an acceptable form of communication.
you obviously have had little in your youth that must be why you defend the greedy, you have no perspective on wealth, nor the responsiblity that goes along with it.

BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 06:11:47 PM »

He is up to something and I dont think it is just shortening up the racing dates from March to June.... A lot of people think the Carey's want out .. I cant belive Magna would be interesting in Hawthorne unless there were slots orr casino Money.... About the Nice Nice thing with the Bidwell's according to all the articles the NJC did not see it coming, public information over the years says RLD thinks NJC should not  have racing dates due to their finances ....  About Ap needing Hawthorne if Hawthorne were to close AP would have all the racing dates.. They could just run from mid-apr till the end of october... The purses here as this time are more than in texas, fla or LAd (except for la breds) if this were to happen purses would go up around a 1/3rd(guess), belive me horseman would come from texas and Fla if we were to start MSW around the 36K-40K range ... Conclusion AP does not neeed  Hawthorne

Heya wally,

I still say that assumption wouldn't work as you portray. If Hawthorne closed down, Arlington would only race live from the earliest April 21st(?) and no later than October 15th (?). If and I say if there were NO slots or NO 3% from the boats - Arlington would struggle to have the purses that they have now because the purses are only driven up by handle, and if there aren't enough horses to fill fields every day of the meet, then the purses will continue to be as low as they are now. I guarantee you that Dick D. would not increase his purses by 1/3rd to get the horses/horsemen here without first showing an increase of about 50% of his current handle. It just wouldn't happen. Besides, the horses will stay where they are at that time of the year to finish out the meet that they are attending. At least with Hawthorne open for 2-1/2 months in the late winter months - there are about 1400 to 1500 horses already here that can easily transfer over to Arlington for only about $75.00 transport fee per horse. To transport up from GP ($500.00) or LD ($350.00) per horse isn't that practical when the purses are just as good down there.
When there is racing at Hawthorne until December 31st and then starting up again around February 20th the next year - about 700 to 900 horses stay in Illinois for a "breather", but if Hawthorne went away the horses would surely leave for the 6 month break from Arlington.
Matchtown

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2006, 06:25:05 PM »

I could just see DD sitting around with his henchmen in a scene from It's a Wonderful Life..........rubbing his hands together saying we want the 20 million and we want it now or I will close the NJC down now Mr Bidwell do you have my money arggg and C III saying we better hit the mega millions and we better hit it tonite or we're sunk
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2006, 07:55:09 PM »

jeez, your sooo stupid, seriously, its almost scary

an idiot wind that blows everytime you move your mouth
from the grand cooley dam headin south...

your an idiot babe...
its a wonder you even know how to breath..

you must be less than forty, only your generation thinks insult after insult is an acceptable form of communication.
you obviously have had little in your youth that must be why you defend the greedy, you have no perspective on wealth, nor the responsiblity that goes along with it.

OK Blockhead.....first of all try writing something that makes sense and that has some sort of thought behind it instead of a number of broken sentences and bad grammar.

I am well past 40, My family started with nothing and now have dome pretty well for ourselves. I notice that your elementary school reply to my post had little to do with the facts and points I presented to you and therefore since you were reduced to name calling and silly comments I would have to believe you have no facts to defend your rather groundless stand on Mr D and his contributions to many causes. People with any understanding of the world and the people who live in it and the struggles they all face know and understand the good DD and his family have done. If you are too much of a bigot to look at the good side of people as well as the side YOU think is bad then that is your problem and your cross to carry. You seem to be a product of malcontents who love class warfare and when facts fail you you turn to emotions and baseless attacks to try to further your useless cause. But none of this has much to do with racing, so I really do not care what you think of me, DD or anyone else for that matter. Your comments more than reveal what kind of person you are. And please show me where I had "insult after insult" I only made a comment which is my opinion that you basically have your head up your ass....your last post only goes to confirm this opinion

Jim K my point was that anyone who lives there knows full well what it is like there, no one twisted anyone's arm to live there. If they don't like the rooms or conditions then rent something somewhere else or don't come here to work. But they still come here and stay here because they know its no better anywhere else and in many cases much worse. My logic is this....if you buy a home next to Midway or O'Hare and then complain about the noise from planes, that is just too bad, you knew where you were moving to so deal with it or move on.
And that should have read FLAKES and I stand by that assessment as well, its not that I am calling those who do not agree with me flakes but those who have unfounded and baseless comments and complaints are flakes........

big wally

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2006, 08:37:04 PM »

Heya wally,

I still say that assumption wouldn't work as you portray. If Hawthorne closed down, Arlington would only race live from the earliest April 21st(?) and no later than October 15th (?). If and I say if there were NO slots or NO 3% from the boats - Arlington would struggle to have the purses that they have now because the purses are only driven up by handle, and if there aren't enough horses to fill fields every day of the meet, then the purses will continue to be as low as they are now. I guarantee you that Dick D. would not increase his purses by 1/3rd to get the horses/horsemen here without first showing an increase of about 50% of his current handle. It just wouldn't happen. Besides, the horses will stay where they are at that time of the year to finish out the meet that they are attending. At least with Hawthorne open for 2-1/2 months in the late winter months - there are about 1400 to 1500 horses already here that can easily transfer over to Arlington for only about $75.00 transport fee per horse. To transport up from GP ($500.00) or LD ($350.00) per horse isn't that practical when the purses are just as good down there.
When there is racing at Hawthorne until December 31st and then starting up again around February 20th the next year - about 700 to 900 horses stay in Illinois for a "breather", but if Hawthorne went away the horses would surely leave for the 6 month break from Arlington.

First off, IF AP if  get s  all the dates they will have some sort of training center and they could set up a van service to go to Turfway  or Hoosier during the dark days. About purses, during the months AP is open Presently the purses are greater  here than Florida, Texas and even Louisiana (NOT LAD Breds), there will be a minimum of three extra months of Dark Day Cash that goes to purses and maybe not a third but 20-% would be a consertative estimate. Yes under these assumptions some small breeders and horseman will be hurt but have not they already. Illinois need a change, the system is not working and racing at Balmoral ld is not my favorite idea..   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:20:03 PM by big wally » Report to moderator   Logged
First Samurai

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 10:20:39 PM »

Paul ooops Blockhead hasn't a clue. Hangs with "Mailbox Mary" who can't post because the Chicago libraries have banned her. Was his last chance to get laid and it failed. Now bitter at the world espessially those who have made it, ie RLD. Tax time will be here in another 9 mos. then he can sit in his little booth at Sears and help Mailbox and her other welfare freinds with their taxes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 10:23:27 PM by First Samurai » Report to moderator   Logged

Turn the page.......
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2006, 10:03:23 PM »

Clockerterry - I really think he wants Hawthorne around because he still needs them in order for Arlington to have a sucessful meet. He may want all the best dates, but he wants them around for the early spring and late fall because he doesn't have the facility, track surface or track lights to have racing during those times. If Hawthorne closed, Arlington would have MUCH worse fields then they have now. GUARANTEED!

I have a different idea. I believe he wants to drive the other tracks out of business and then run a meet from May through September that has higher purses due to collecting all the simulcast money for the rest of the year.

Don't forget back in 1994 and 1995 he openly said he thought a lot of the Illinois owners and their Illinois bred horses should be running at Fairmount, not his track. He even said he shouldn't have to run the Illinois-restricted races. Purses at his track should be used to lure out-of-town trainers like Cal Nafzger. There were even quotes from Nafzger himself saying, in effect, "Duu...uuh ... what Dick says!" I think DD would be perfectly happy to hold a meet that's designed to attract ship in stables and say the hell with all the locals and their horses that are around from November through April. I don't think this leopard has changed his spots on wanting his track to be the only one in Chicago, and I don't think he has softened his attitude against the smaller local outfits with the cheaper horses. I think the things he said back in the mid-90's are exactly what he still thinks today.

The scenario might be good or bad depending on your outlook.
BeauNarro

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2006, 10:10:26 PM »

Terry,

I don't even want to consider that scenario..it would be AWFUL for Illinoians. I try to be more optimistic and look at the overall picture of what the state needs to have a successful thoroughbred industry. Remember it's not just about races. If there were NO Illinois restricted races in the state - there would not be 1/2 the horses that they have now.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2006, 01:03:54 AM »

It is interesting to say that he would want to do away with all the Ill. races since 98% of his horses are all Illinois bred. I do not think he wanted to get rid of ALL the Ill restricted races, I think he wanted to reduce the number he was forced to run per day. What he wanted to do as I recall, was to have it more like KY. where the Illinois Bred horses ran for higher purses in open company like they do now with the Illinois bonus money. But the races would be written with the higher money going to Illinois bred's. One big problem with that right now is that the Dept. of Ag doesn't have the money to pay that much bonus money out,(in fact over the past few years there had been talk at Ag to drop the funding for the bonus money or at least reduce it, thankfully that has not happened).

DD's thinking was that this would encourage Illinois owners to breed to better horses and attract better sires to the state. Agree or not, it wasn't a plan to take over Illinois racing although if not explained correctly I can understand why people would think it was a big power play. At that time purses were not as much of an issue as they are now since slots were not around as much and we were still getting some good horses here to run. Personally most of my horses are Illinois bred and I, like Beau, go to some very nice studs, I would not worry so much if I were running for more money in open races. I think there needs to be something done here to get more mares into this state and then better sires as well. Look at the list of the top 10 sires in Illinois.....its sad, half of them are dead. The sire awards did nothing to improve things either. Over all the Illinois program is a pretty good one, but I think it needs to be looked at again and updated. Things stink in Maryland right now and some of those studs would not look too bad standing in Illinois
edwarren

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »

Maryland? You're a Frank fink.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2006, 12:59:28 AM »

LOL hardly, I just thinking of horses that would be reasonable to stand here and maybe available, you not going to get anything that any good from FL, PA or NY, so that kind of leaves MD
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: