Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

March 23, 2017, 07:21:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sarcoid tumors in horses  (Read 3397 times)
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »

Anyone have any experience with a horse having this?  Poor horse's ear is an ungodly mess.  He also has some fibrous feeling lumps on his neck.  Going to biopsy and send to New Bolton for some experimental treatment. 

I've never had a horse with this problem.  Probably not common in Standardbreds.
Report to moderator   Logged

Is it me, Baby, or just a brilliant disguise?
OldGreyMare

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »

So this must be practically nonexistent in Standardbreds.  I know I've never come across it.

Another question:  a different friend has a horse just diagnosed with Lyme's disease.  She had him tested because he was acting lethargic.  I know the ticks were really bad this year, every day I was removing several from each horse.  Anyway, her riding horse vet, who likes to run up the bills, told her it would cost $1800 a month for his medication.  Sounds a little outrageous to me.  Isn't the treatment usually tetracycline?  That isn't that expensive, is it?

I think this is a question for BabyFireFly....but if anyone else has any imput, it would be appreciated.

Is it me, Baby, or just a brilliant disguise?
equine8

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »

Re the sarcoid, I have no personal experience with them, but I have read of numerous, successful treatments with application of chemotherapy creams.

While doxycycline is technically a tetracycline, it is derived from tetracycline.  It is more lipid soluble which is thought to increase bioavailability over tet.  I know some vets are committed to using only brand name meds in their patients and even if they don't mark them up, cost can be a limiting factor.  I'm sure if your friend looks around, he/she can find a less expensive source for generic or compounded doxycycline. As an example (not intended as advertising or endorsement) SmartPak Equine carries Doxy 100mg tablets in 500 count bottles for $36.  Sometimes the volume these retailers order is actually cheaper than what your vet would pay from their supplier.
pork

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 04:04:21 PM »

Had sarcoid tumors on draft horse. Used cryosurgery (freezing) and electrocautery to freeze/cauterize the lesions down to the base.  Took several tries but finally cleared the lesions. Left some scars but the tumors did not return.  Dont try without anesthesia-lol.  Good luck.  Pork
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:12:31 AM »

Sorry for posting this so late, just saw the thread.

We've had 2 horses with it.  Both we treated successfully with Crest toothpaste.  Plain old Crest, not any of the whtening types.  Keep the toothpaste on the tumor until it dries up and falls off.  One only took 3 days, the other a few days longer.  Neither ever came back.

OGM, please let us know how your horse is.

Quietly, quietly, quietly making noise
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: