Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 01, 2014, 06:08:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arlington Condition Book  (Read 3167 times)
mel4600

« on: July 05, 2006, 04:14:52 PM »

Does anyone else have a problem with the way Mr. Greely is writing the races in the condition book? He has way to many claiming levels and crazy condition dates and it has been over a year since any track in Chicago wrote a $5,000 Starter Allowance going short.
Report to moderator   Logged
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 04:30:43 PM »

They always write a long nickle starter and it's the same horses every time: Wheaty, R.Little Redhead, Gravano, etc. I agree, how about a $5K starter going one turn! Maybe. We'll see.

Steve

ZENYATTA THE GREAT! NOT RA!
acm1376

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 08:23:59 PM »

why are you so interested in a short starter allowance?  do you have a steamer for the race if so let me know which crab it is, if it makes it around the track
mel4600

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 08:27:35 PM »

why are you so interested in a short starter allowance?  do you have a steamer for the race if so let me know which crab it is, if it makes it around the track
I have 3 great starter allowance horses that I'm tired of running everywhere else except Chicago. And if they write one you will know who it is.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:03:42 AM »

It also seems that he is writing too many races with similar conditions too close to each other one may be a 25k or 35k claiming race followed just a day or two later by an allowance race that wont go because the higher claiming race took too many that could have gone in the allowance race.
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 10:06:55 PM »

the condition book is disgusting to look at this year amongst other things happening at AP, unfortunately it hasnt been a good year right from the get go at the worlds most beautiful track. its not looking much brighter but somehow someway hopefully things will turn around the second half of the meet. despite the poor shape of the cond book there sure are alotta horses being claimed this meet
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 12:05:56 AM »

The condition book is always disgusting to someone. Every year and every track.
mel4600

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 08:26:35 AM »

The condition book is always disgusting to someone. Every year and every track.
Churchill and Mountaineer have excellent condition books. Never heard anyone complain about them.
jdm

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 05:47:13 PM »

Is the condition book keeping horses from racing or is there just a shortage of horses? Just wondering, what races are not being carded other than Starter $5k sprints? What races would you all add to the book if you could. Why doesn't Illinois card allowances for state breds like NY does or Cali I believe does. In their Nx1 open, statebreds are eligible even if they've won allowances in restricted company. Might even be available at Nx2. Just curious, what is missing. thank you all........
Chartwell

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 05:57:16 PM »

I would like to see starter 10K going 6 furlongs. Perhaps NW3 for a tag above 10K. Perhaps a long mile and a half series for lower level claimers. How about short allowance races not on the turf? Finally, it would be interesting to see lower level claimers on the turf once a week (below 18K). One can only handle so many state bred 10K claimers.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 06:26:47 PM »

Chartwell,

I don't think the Racing Secretary is writing races so he can lose his job. He's writing races for Hawthorne North (Arlington Park) which is the same thing as Hawthorne South. In other words, he writes races for the horses he has on the grounds. By the way, the Festival started a week or so ago. Notice the difference?

What's gonna happen when CD closes? Well, rather than ship up here, most outfits that can't do any good at SAR will stay in Kentucky and go to Ellis for slightly smaller purses than here. That's what we call in the pressbox a pizza prediction.
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 07:12:48 PM »

TURF TURF TURF! We need Turf racing for claimers in the 8K-15K range.

Steve

Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 08:07:09 PM »

TURF TURF TURF!

Steve,

WHY? WHY? WHY?

As I think I've said before, turf racing is just an excuse for trainers to tell their owners that the horse will do better on turf so they can get more "day" money. Some horses just suck and if you're an owner, you should send your horse to an adoption agency which can make them riding horses or whatever.
jdm

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 08:37:25 PM »

Trackman agree with you, Saratoga will take the talent. However as to settling to Ellis, Just a quick check in both books finds - Ellis MSWT= $20,500, AP= 30,000....... nx1 EP= 22k, AP= 33k.... nx2 EP 23.5k, AP 35k.........  MSWT winners at AP earn $5,700 more, nx1 $6,600, nx2 $6,900......... Now for EP that includes KTDF which if a KY bred doesn't win I believe that purse money is taken back, and AP doesn't include Il Bred bonus which is $10,000 added to MSWT, 11,000 to nx1, and 12,000 to nx2 if Il breds happen to run well.......... Even if lets say Ky breds win at both places it seems that a $6,000 difference is more than slight.... I wish CDSN was smart enough to have housing or hotels at cheaper rates availabe for trainers wanting to come here for 2 months.... I know that they do not like that trip from Louisville to Ellis for the day shippers, which many are, it's sooooooo boring......... also for others, will those races fill or is there a horse shortage. Seems to me there aren't enough horses, no matter what is carded............. Does more turf actually bring more horses? Not the way it's being done now. ........................Also, for all those starter fans out there, why not create a series of races at different distances and surfaces. Every 3 weeks for older horses, both sexes, short, long, middle, both surfaces. a horse wouldn't race in all the races yet would earn points for a year end bonus........................ also for open races, why not try to get more females to enter by having a doable weight allowance?  just some ideas.
mel4600

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 09:43:11 PM »

Chartwell,

I don't think the Racing Secretary is writing races so he can lose his job. He's writing races for Hawthorne North (Arlington Park) which is the same thing as Hawthorne South. In other words, he writes races for the horses he has on the grounds. By the way, the Festival started a week or so ago. Notice the difference?

What's gonna happen when CD closes? Well, rather than ship up here, most outfits that can't do any good at SAR will stay in Kentucky and go to Ellis for slightly smaller purses than here. That's what we call in the pressbox a pizza prediction.
I agree with Chartwell. This new Racing Secretary is a joke. If this is Hawthorne north he should write a book like Mountaineer. They have no problems filling. He is missing the boat with horses that are on the grounds and being shipped elsewhere.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 11:28:10 PM »

Well guys,

Are you guys horsemen? I get the feeling you might be. Would you rather have Frank back? He couldn't fill a card until 5:00 PM.

"Ellis MSWT= $20,500, AP= 30,000....... nx1 EP= 22k, AP= 33k.... nx2 EP 23.5k, AP 35k"

20500 translates to 12300 for the winner. 30000 means 16000. After paying the trainer and jock, the difference would barely cover the cost to ship the extra miles. Just a thought.
Jim C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 11:37:21 PM »

There is no cost to ship from Ky to AP...free shuttle
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 07:15:42 AM »

Jim C,

Thanks. Obviously I didn't know that.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 07:51:02 AM »

Jim C,

Who does pay for the shipping? CDI? Just curious.
mel4600

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 08:33:27 AM »

Well guys,

Are you guys horsemen? I get the feeling you might be. Would you rather have Frank back? He couldn't fill a card until 5:00 PM.

"Ellis MSWT= $20,500, AP= 30,000....... nx1 EP= 22k, AP= 33k.... nx2 EP 23.5k, AP 35k"

20500 translates to 12300 for the winner. 30000 means 16000. After paying the trainer and jock, the difference would barely cover the cost to ship the extra miles. Just a thought.

CDI has a shuttle between the tracks at set times. Mr. Greely had to wait past 7:00 P.M. in the past to fill a card. The point is no one wants to ship, however, we have no choice if they don't write our races. Starter allowance races, both short and long, are very popular at every track I have been to. For some reason, the Chicago tracks refuse to write a starter sprint. Churchill writes 4 starter races in every book, 2 short and 2 long. Even if I had to pay for shipping I would run a horse in a race that fits him than run in a race he don't belong in.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 09:55:40 AM »

"Mr. Greely had to wait past 7:00 P.M. in the past to fill a card."

Must've been a Sunday when he didn't have Racing Form pressure, since they don't print that day. Don't recall that, but I don't remember leaving the race track this year (usually 5:15) without an overnight. It happened all the time in the past. I know the racing office staff is a lot happier.
Stealth

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 10:21:33 AM »

The AP Book is made for Calebrese & Wayne Catelano. They write races that fit Calebreses horses. I even heard from someone on the inside about a race that was written for one of thier horses who "started for $8,000 or less in the last 2 yrs & 10 months." What is that crap?

Bomber
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 10:53:37 AM »

The AP Book is made for Calebrese & Wayne Catelano. They write races that fit Calebreses horses. I even heard from someone on the inside about a race that was written for one of thier horses who "started for $8,000 or less in the last 2 yrs & 10 months." What is that crap?

Bomber

Now we know who's in charge
jdm

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 11:23:07 AM »

Actually your numbers are wrong Trackman. 30,000 pays out $18,000 not 16. Which makes the difference $5,700 just as I printed before. Not chump change in the slightest, and yes free shuttles run Wednesday's and weekend...Also, are trying to say they don't pay the trainers or jocks down in Kentucky, now those guys must really love their jobs to work for free..... good day all, too much rain for me
Stealth

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »

"Mr. Greely had to wait past 7:00 P.M. in the past to fill a card."

Must've been a Sunday when he didn't have Racing Form pressure, since they don't print that day. Don't recall that, but I don't remember leaving the race track this year (usually 5:15) without an overnight. It happened all the time in the past. I know the racing office staff is a lot happier.
Are you part of the racing staff?
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »

jdm,

pardon my piss-poor math. usually i'm pretty good at that.
Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »

Stealth,

No, I don't work for the track but I know most of the office crew. Some of us have an occassional beer accross the street at Jimmy D's and I get their opinions.
ChitownSteve75

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2006, 12:24:07 AM »

Stealth,

No, I don't work for the track but I know most of the office crew. Some of us have an occassional beer accross the street at Jimmy D's and I get their opinions.

The gal in accounting is very cool. Forgot her name.

Trackman

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »

I believe you are referring to Marcella.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: