Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 01, 2014, 07:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illinois Racing Dates  (Read 1074 times)
Mary Ann

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:36:06 AM »

Looks like there's going to be significant cutbacks.

"The 2014 Illinois live racing schedule likely will be trimmed back significantly as a result of revenue shortfalls, the Illinois Racing Board indicated Sept. 11.

Board members attended a day-long evidentiary hearing on the 2014 schedule at which Arlington Park and Hawthorne Racecourse both laid claim to key live racing dates and to revenue generated by simulcasting when the state's tracks are dark.

Much of the attention, however, centered on overall cutbacks that may be necessitated by the legislature's failure to authorize advance deposit wagering between Jan. 1 and June 7 of this year. The hiatus in the popular internet wagering option cost the IRB about $750,000 in tax revenue–money used to regulate live racing.

The $750,000 equates to the cost of regulating about 115 live racing dates, IRB executive director Marc Laino said. While the board has sufficient funds to get through calendar 2013, he said, it will run short during 2014 as the state's fiscal year rolls on unless an alternate funding source appears.

Worse, the current ADW authorization expires at the end of 2013. There is no guarantee it will be extended, and horsemen are seeking changes in the revenue allocation, prompting fears of a potential legislative battle."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/80629/illinois-facing-cutbacks-in-2014-racing-dates
Report to moderator   Logged
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »

I can think of a good place to start cutting back on dates
Bob B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:28:19 PM »

January 1 - 31 Dark day simulcasting to Arlington

February 1 - 28 Dark day simulcasting to Hawthorne

Hawthorne March 1 - April 30

Arlingon May 1 - September 1

Hawthorne September 4 - November 30

December 1 - December 31 Dark day simulcasting to Arlington

Hawthorne gets 5 months of live racing with Breeders Cup and associated preps and 1 month of Dark
Arlington get 4 months of live racing with Triple Crown and 2 months of Dark

Fairmount should race April 29 - September 1 on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday

What do you think?

honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »

I think that's not going to happen. Horsemen don't want to give up live race days.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »

I'm sure Mr. Laino and his employees will accept a 50% pay cut so that horse racing can continue in the state of Illinois. That's how much passion they have for this great game!
 beer
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »

I can think of a good place to start cutting back on dates

Me too. May thru September at AP is an interminable snore-a-thon. And they want more?

farquarks

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »

Me too. May thru September at AP is an interminable snore-a-thon. And they want more?
"Snore-a-thon" is your view - you certainly don't suggest May thru Sept at Haw would be more exciting? Yikes!

A possible solution for the fewer live dates issue might be to look to the Garden State (Monmouth). How about 3 days/week - Fri thru Sun + Mon holidays, 12 to 14 races/day? Frankly I much prefer 4 or 5 days/week because I enjoy going to AP, but we gotta pay those bureaucrats in full.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »

"Snore-a-thon" is your view

Yes. It is boring as hell.

- you certainly don't suggest May thru Sept at Haw would be more exciting? Yikes!

No, it would be just as boring. Long seasons are boring in general. Short seasons like Saratoga, and Del Mar, and Oaklawn, and what used to be the Santa Anita Oak Tree meet are exciting. Philadelphia Park style endless racing is boring. Endless racing is Frank Stronach ruining Gulfstream.

A possible solution for the fewer live dates issue might be to look to the Garden State (Monmouth). How about 3 days/week - Fri thru Sun + Mon holidays, 12 to 14 races/day? Frankly I much prefer 4 or 5 days/week because I enjoy going to AP, but we gotta pay those bureaucrats in full.

3 day weeks are hard on track employees, horsemen and their employees, and gamblers who concentrate on the local circuit.

Personally if it was up to me Hawthorne would run two six week meets on either end of a Memorial Day to Labor Day Arlington meet, and all the other six months split evenly as far as simulcast money, but it isn't up to me.

farquarks

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »

........... Personally if it was up to me Hawthorne would run two six week meets on either end of a Memorial Day to Labor Day Arlington meet, and all the other six months split evenly as far as simulcast money, but it isn't up to me.

I like your idea Terry. Further, AP could split their "long" meet into thirds with the first and last third "connecting" the Haw 6 week meets and the middle third being a "boutique" meet. AP has tried several versions of the split "higher class" / "lower class" meets in the past. Dark day money should be split evenly. Purses will be the key to any success (as always).
nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 11:37:04 AM »

Slots are the answer.Then year round racing with full fields will be the norm. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »

Slots are the answer.Then year round racing with full fields will be the norm. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers

Full fields of top quality horses. Then handle will mushroom, and a miracle will occur.

Look at Iowa and West Virginia. They've had slots longer than anyone, and their tbred racing programs (as well as fan and handle support) are the envy of the industry.

nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »

Full fields of top quality horses. Then handle will mushroom, and a miracle will occur.

Look at Iowa and West Virginia. They've had slots longer than anyone, and their tbred racing programs (as well as fan and handle support) are the envy of the industry.
Don't forget Delaware!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: