Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

August 28, 2014, 06:26:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice accurate reporting...NOT!!!  (Read 851 times)
childewood

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/397086/3/Record-purse-up-for-grabs-at-Fairmount-Park-Tuesday

They reported it as if there is one race for $300k?
Six $50k races=$300k.
Terrible job of reporting...
Report to moderator   Logged
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 06:25:19 PM »

Eh, they are Cardinals fans, and they think Budweiser is great beer...I'm not surprised these St. L. hillbillies booted this one.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »

Eh, they are Cardinals fans, and they think Budweiser is great beer...I'm not surprised these St. L. hillbillies booted this one.

Chicago people ripping Cards fans is comical. You can always spot a cub fan at the track. They're the ones betting on the 0 for 45 maidens
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:11:15 AM »

Chicago people ripping Cards fans is comical. You can always spot a cub fan at the track. They're the ones betting on the 0 for 45 maidens

No defense of the Mississippi stream sop, I see.

Wise.

honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:08:07 AM »

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/397086/3/Record-purse-up-for-grabs-at-Fairmount-Park-Tuesday

They reported it as if there is one race for $300k?
Six $50k races=$300k.
Terrible job of reporting...

Kind of IMHO picking nits on a simple "A record $300,000 purse will be up for grabs in the Metro East Tuesday. "

Congrats to all connections of Sasy Ms Elizabeth, Win'em All, Luv Bandit, Our Domain, Solar Flair, and Work all Week.

Any thoughts from the armchair stews crowd on the Lady Riss DQ, where a Bruggemann trainee came down in favor of a Stiritz owned runner?

Kind of disappointing to see the small fields in these, even the venerable Tex's Zing. Illinois breeding is definitely on the ropes.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:53:40 AM »

Any thoughts from the armchair Taxi Squad stews on the Lady Riss DQ, where a Bruggemann trainee came down in favor of a Stiritz owned runner?

(We prefer "Taxi Squad": ready to step in and rule at any time, with only a moment's notice.  Grin  )

Legit DQ. Bruggemann's horse dove all the way from an outer gate and damn near put Emigh and his mount over the rail. Looked fairly dangerous, and certainly enough to affect the outcome.

I would give Cisco days, too: riders MUST control their mounts -- these were not inexperienced, flighty 2 year olds. No excuse.

Full Disclosure: I had money in the race. The DQ cost me about $62.

Kind of disappointing to see the small fields in these, even the venerable Tex's Zing. Illinois breeding is definitely on the ropes.

Was actually a decent looking card until all the scratches came in. Lots of ducking going on, why? If you know who the good Ill-breds are, you pretty much know who is going to show up for these Illinois days.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

Was actually a decent looking card until all the scratches came in. Lots of ducking going on, why? If you know who the good Ill-breds are, you pretty much know who is going to show up for these Illinois days.

Probably in part because AP wrote some Illinois bred extras to intentionally undermine FP's program, such as Thursday's Race 3 the IL str 10/opt clm 20  that's chock full of scratches from the FP stakes.

farquarks

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »

Probably in part because AP wrote some Illinois bred extras to intentionally undermine FP's program, such as Thursday's Race 3 the IL str 10/opt clm 20  that's chock full of scratches from the FP stakes.

Terry, I didn't see a smiley on your comment so I presume you were serious. Why would an AP Str 10/opt clm race draw any horses away from a FP 50k stakes race, legitimate contenders at least. If it did they didn't belong. Methinks that's a bit of a stretch.
bnlong

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »

Thursdays 1st race is a better example. It was an extra

with more money & no shipping.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »

Terry, I didn't see a smiley on your comment so I presume you were serious. Why would an AP Str 10/opt clm race draw any horses away from a FP 50k stakes race, legitimate contenders at least. If it did they didn't belong. Methinks that's a bit of a stretch.

Open 20k IL-bred claimers are the type of horse that generally compete in Illinois stakes. Maybe not win that often, but fill them up. And yes, I firmly believe they did it to take horses away from the FP program.

Thursdays 1st race is a better example. It was an extra with more money & no shipping.

It's not limited to Illinois-breds like the 3rd. And why would they need an Illinois-bred only starter with those conditions when the 2nd race is exactly the same race open if they weren't trying to attract the same IL horses as those already entered at FP?

And why do they need the despised Illinois horses anyhow? Don't they have a backside chock full of "the Arlington horses"? That is, if 33 of 71 entries for Thursday being Illinois-breds constitutes a backside chock full of "the Arlington horses".

farquarks

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »

Pretty sure AP's been carding these types of races (1 and 3 tomorrow) throughout their meet. They need the IL breeds to "fill" their races - sadly there aren't many to go around. I don't read as much nefarious intention into their race cards - more likely just struggling to fill a day's card. I'm beginning to wonder is it Poly or the Purses?
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »

Condition book shopping is alright unless it works in Arlingtons favor, right?
brianwspencer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »

I'm having a little confusion on this one (or I'm not following correctly...also a very distinct possibility) -- the 3rd tomorrow isn't a starter, it's a regular two other than for Illinois-breds that is a different condition entirely than the starter optional claiming race for the boys on the grass in race 2. Off the top of my head I don't remember seeing any Illinois-restricted starter/optional claimers this meet; IIRC they have all been open.

Thursday's 3rd was listed as a substitute race in the condition book, so I had just assumed that those who wound up cross-entered there and in the FP stake weren't 100% sure if the AP race would go so they entered at FP with the earlier draw date. Then the AP race did go, and they opted to run for $41K in the backyard instead of $50K downstate.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »

Pretty sure AP's been carding these types of races (1 and 3 tomorrow) throughout their meet.

The 3rd was definitely an "extra" since it says so right on the overnight sheet.

I don't read as much nefarious intention into their race cards - more likely just struggling to fill a day's card.

They knew full well the effect that race would have on FP's program.

Condition book shopping is alright unless it works in Arlingtons favor, right?

It's a little bit different if you're trying to compete with the track in the next state over. When you're intentionally trying to gut the program of another track in your own state, not to mention the state breeders' big state-bred stakes day at that track, it's not "alright", no.

I don't suppose I'm the only one who has noticed a correlation between Dick D. coming along and declaring war on all the other tracks in the state in his quest for monopoly and the decline and continuing travails of racing in the state. He's been, and still is, so busy battling everybody from tracks to horsemen to breeders' organizations to IRB to legislators for that monopoly that he's leaving the entire racing and breeding industry scorched earth in his wake. "It'll be mine, or no one's!" This little jab at the FP's IL stakes day is just another installment in the play. IMHO.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »

I'm having a little confusion on this one (or I'm not following correctly...also a very distinct possibility) -- the 3rd tomorrow isn't a starter, it's a regular two other than for Illinois-breds that is a different condition entirely than the starter optional claiming race for the boys on the grass in race 2.

Something change at Equibase? Both races had exactly the same conditions when I first looked. I think.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:11:44 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

brianwspencer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »

Something change at Equibase? Both races had exactly the same conditions when I first looked. I think.

Race 2 is

STARTER OPTIONAL CLAIMING $20,000 $10,000

Purse $20,000. (Plus $7,200 IOA - Illinois Registered Owner Award). For Three Year Olds And Upward Which Have Started For A Claiming Price Of $10,000 Or Less Since September 8, 2011 Or Claiming Price $20,000.

Race 3 is

ALLOWANCE

Purse $41,000. For Fillies And Mares Three Years Old And Upward Illinois Registered, Conceived And/or Foaled Which Have Never Won $8,800 Twice Other Than Maiden, Claiming, Or Starter Or Have Never Won Three Races.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »

Well, so much for accurate reporting.

brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »

I (along with the others I was with) thought the DQ was a bad call. Emigh never even had to check. Cisco was clear. Looked like good race riding to me. The rail was like a sling shot most of the day and Cisco wanted to get there. I wouldn't have taken him down, and I certainly wouldn't give days.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »

I (along with the others I was with) thought the DQ was a bad call. Emigh never even had to check. Cisco was clear. Looked like good race riding to me. The rail was like a sling shot most of the day and Cisco wanted to get there. I wouldn't have taken him down, and I certainly wouldn't give days.

You need to look at the head on.

Cisco comes SO far over that Emigh had to put his right arm out and push Cisco off of him.

Emigh couldn't check if he wanted to: his only other option was to end up in the infield.

brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 07:23:35 PM »

You need to look at the head on.

Cisco comes SO far over that Emigh had to put his right arm out and push Cisco off of him.

Emigh couldn't check if he wanted to: his only other option was to end up in the infield.

Well it is a very nice infield
Tau Neutrino

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:03 PM »

It's a little bit different if you're trying to compete with the track in the next state over. When you're intentionally trying to gut the program of another track in your own state, not to mention the state breeders' big state-bred stakes day at that track, it's not "alright", no.

I don't suppose I'm the only one who has noticed a correlation between Dick D. coming along and declaring war on all the other tracks in the state in his quest for monopoly and the decline and continuing travails of racing in the state. He's been, and still is, so busy battling everybody from tracks to horsemen to breeders' organizations to IRB to legislators for that monopoly that he's leaving the entire racing and breeding industry scorched earth in his wake. "It'll be mine, or no one's!" This little jab at the FP's IL stakes day is just another installment in the play. IMHO.

You hit the bullseye, Terry-especially your hit on Dick D.  Guess he got a taste of his own medicine last Saturday when CD intentionally (as it appears to me) scheduled their big fall 2YO races directly against his.  At first I resented CD for doing that.  Now, thanks to your perspective, that's still there, though I also see some poetic justice for DD. 

To wrap up, he must have learned how to battle everybody and make enemies all over the industry (in IL anyway) from Churchill!   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:10:02 PM by Tau Neutrino » Report to moderator   Logged
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »

Well it is a very nice infield

Perhaps it is...if you are allowed to visit it on a voluntary basis.
Bob B

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

You hit the bullseye, Terry-especially your hit on Dick D.  Guess he got a taste of his own medicine last Saturday when CD intentionally (as it appears to me) scheduled their big fall 2YO races directly against his.  At first I resented CD for doing that.  Now, thanks to your perspective, that's still there, though I also see some poetic justice for DD. 

To wrap up, he must have learned how to battle everybody and make enemies all over the industry (in IL anyway) from Churchill!   

You do realize that DD is the largest shareholder in Churchill Downs?
Tau Neutrino

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 09:37:58 PM »

Ha!  Of course!  I'm well aware of that.  Which makes this even stranger....why would CD treat its largest stockholder like that?  Perhaps because DD made one enemy too many?   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: