Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 22, 2014, 12:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk about the DUMBEST thing ever by Arlington Park  (Read 693 times)
Scav

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »

I am about as Pro Arlington as it gets, but this takes the cake as far as I am concerned.

NINTH RACE ON THURSDAY TO EMPLOY ALTERNATE FINISH LINE

Thursday’s ninth race, a conditioned $5,000 claiming race that drew a field of 12 and carded to be run at a mile and a sixteenth on the Polytrack, will end at the alternate finish line located at the sixteenth pole after starting at the regular finish line.

Since the beginning of this season, races at a mile and a sixteenth have been run with a short run to the first turn while ending at the regular finish line. However, in order to accomplish this field size had been restricted to nine. As such for the balance of the meet, races carded with nine or less will be run ending at the regular finish line while races carded with 10 or more will end at the alternate finish line.

In an age where field size is vitally important to the health of the industry, to card races restricted to just nine starters makes little sense. This revised policy will allow mile and a sixteenth races to be carded with as many as 12 starters and to allow for mile and a sixteenth turf races that are moved to the Polytrack to be run at the mile and a sixteenth distance without forcing outside horses to scratch should the remaining field size be greater than nine.

Arlington’s television department, on-air team and social media platforms will make every effort to remind bettors as to which start/finish will be employed on mile and a sixteenth main-track races.

RUFKM, its hard enough to handicap races, but now we have to wonder where the f'n finish line is for 8.5 furlong races.

Enough is enough.
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »

I am about as Pro Arlington as it gets, but this takes the cake as far as I am concerned.

RUFKM, its hard enough to handicap races, but now we have to wonder where the f'n finish line is for 8.5 furlong races.

Enough is enough.

$5k claimers need a chance to run too, man ... especially if that's what AP has on the backside. Anything outside about the 7 hole has zip chance with the short run to turn 1.

And AP/Illinois needs the extra handle.

The one question I'd have is if the start/finish is determined by entries, or what actually goes to the post. If they're switching it around last minute, especially during the middle of the card (and horiz bets) because of some late scratch, I'd have to agree with you - fooey. But it does say "carded".
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:31:19 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »

I believe Laurel Race Course has been doing this for years.
If the result is to give more horses a chance to get into the race, by being in better position, it should benefit everyone...horseman and bettors.
laurajean

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »

The last race is on the alternative line. Fine, gives me one less race to handicap.
BTW, instead of worrying about the betters, they should make sure the JOCKEYS know which finish line is being used.
Ghostjones

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:29:59 PM »

Getting rid of the good ARC membership will always top that list for me. 
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »

Maybe I wasn't that clear, but it isn't about the actual race, its about the random change of finish line. Its insane to me.
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »

Agree that tracks should have a single finish line.
Always had to laugh when they used the sixteenth pole for the finish line at OP and 95% of the crowd didn't realize the race was over.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »

Maybe I wasn't that clear, but it isn't about the actual race, its about the random change of finish line. Its insane to me.

It isn't random if they let you know well ahead of time.

But it would make more sense if they just went back to making all the 1-1/16 races go to the alternate line. The current start well beyond the finish line and with just a few feet to the first turn is a tremendous disadvantage to outside horses, and why you see so many scratches out of those posts.

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »

I originally thought this thread was tongue in cheek.....Maybe not

SHOWTIME!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: