Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 26, 2014, 03:07:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Million Day handle  (Read 946 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »

Good gawd, Dave Zenner owes you a double-saw for that little puff piece.

If you're denying that AP puts on a good racing show for Million Day, you're even less intelligent than I previously thought.

When was the last time YOU paid a premium admission price at AP, just to stand in endless lines to buy beer, and then again, later, to give it back?

The only time I've ever experienced conditions as you describe was BC Day. Never had serious line problems at any other time in the past, either Million Day or Cigar Day. No worse than any other track on one of their "big" days.

Never attended any of the goofball AP "family" days I can remember except one 4th of July. As for the last time I paid a premium admission at AP, probably that same BC, because pretty much all the other years I was in Illinois in the summers to visit AP I had an owner's license and got in free.
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »

I gladly paid my $25 & enjoyed about 8 hours of great horse racing......

It was great weather & a great day for gambling...

Arlington really does a top flight job in handling that many people as everyone got bets in for every race..lots of tellers & machines

In Illinios we see a lot of 5-10 claimers these days so always nice to see some class horses
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 10:50:28 AM »

If you're denying that AP puts on a good racing show for Million Day, you're even less intelligent than I previously thought.

The only time I've ever experienced conditions as you describe was BC Day. Never had serious line problems at any other time in the past, either Million Day or Cigar Day. No worse than any other track on one of their "big" days.

Never attended any of the goofball AP "family" days I can remember except one 4th of July. As for the last time I paid a premium admission at AP, probably that same BC, because pretty much all the other years I was in Illinois in the summers to visit AP I had an owner's license and got in free.

HBT
no lines for beer...
There were so many vendors I essentially walked up everytime with no wait at all...They had some good local craft beers to sample
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »

I don't remember HV criticizing Hawthorne for throwing $750,000 at a pointless race that was only seen in person by a few thousand people this spring

I will say that by FORDUBAI winning the 1st race on million day  (a 65 k 1 turn non graded poly mile)....really does flatter the 750 k Illinois Derby where he was hard trying 2nd  trophy trophy
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »

HBT
no lines for beer...
There were so many vendors I essentially walked up everytime with no wait at all...They had some good local craft beers to sample

Thanks for an actual man-on-the-spot report, PL.

sodgod

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »

Speaking of Ramsey,

Can anyone tell me why most of these wealthy owners hire butchers and juicers for trainers?  Catalano, Maker and C. Brown the holy trinity of hay, oats and water.  Not sure why Ramsey is no longer w/ Romans perhaps he is too honest.  I hope Orb wins the Travers at least Shug does things the right way.  Lukas, Pletcher and Baffert shure not how to eat them up and spit them out.  This is why the handle is down too much dishonesty in the game.

Sod
TheRedMile

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 09:47:26 AM »

Excellent comparison, 'tross. For AP and Wrigley Field attendees that have more money than brains, the concept of "value" is less important than "seeing and being seen" at trendy events...in stupid hats and other garb that you wouldn't wear anywhere else in public.

Maybe Mr. Serling can chime in on this one, but I don't think Saratoga does the admission "spinner" fake count thing any more.

The last time I was there for a giveaway (t-shirts), I paid just one admission fee, went through the turnstiles once, and then paid ? (like $3 or something, trivial amount) for each extra t-shirt I wanted.

So, if NYRA says they got 60,000 for The Travers, that is a real number.

the last few yrs travers day attendance has been in the 40,000 + range
saratoga it is still on my bucket list but i will do it on a weekday first.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »

I will say that by FORDUBAI winning the 1st race on million day  (a 65 k 1 turn non graded poly mile)....really does flatter the 750 k Illinois Derby where he was hard trying 2nd  trophy trophy

But it was a stakes race, no?

Hasn't IL Derby runner Abraham also put in fairly decent efforts in a couple NYRA GII stakes since then, and For Greater Glory stakes placed in the Dwyer?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: