Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 11:29:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This year at Ferndale, California  (Read 1360 times)
pamwaggy

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »

What a joke!  They got rid of the GM of 22 years before the fair/race meet.  We have NO horses and NO jockeys.  They are putting mule riders on thoroughbreds.  Matt Garcia got sent to Santa Rosa last night with lots of badly broken bones.  Neck, back, etc.  Now we are in a real bad situation.  (not to mention Mr. Garcia)

One trainer with a string of horses is winning almost every race.  And those horses aren't even anything to shout about.

People are divided on some issues and are threatening others with physical violence.  All over a few things, but mainly about a football game TWO YEARS AGO when Ferndale people were calling some of the players on the visiting team the N word.  My God!  The few that stuck their necks out to say how wrong it was, are STILL being threatened with physical violence!

I will never be able to say I'm from this county with pride again in my life. 

How I ever lived here at all is beyond me.  But then I lived in a college town and this sort of thing just didn't happen there.
Report to moderator   Logged
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:05:39 PM »

Pam, this is surprising. I was under the impression that area was more of a liberal, laid-back area. I had read Garcia has spinal injuries but no paralysis.
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:58:02 PM »

Fernwood, home of the first electric car.

Martin Mull, Fred Willard and a very young Jim Varney explain how it operates, circa 1970s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FsVjKewl_U

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:44 PM »

Pam, this is surprising. I was under the impression that area was more of a liberal, laid-back area. I had read Garcia has spinal injuries but no paralysis.

NO it's not.  You just heard about the hippies.  The town's "powers that be" are right wing.  Luckily the mayor got elected and he's the GM that got threatened and since he didn't cave, they didn't renew his contract.  The new GM is a sheep farmer who didn't even graduate from high school.

Now a little north, about a half an hour drive is where I lived and that place is laid back.  Not Ferndale.  They are big time bigots about anything and everybody who didn't grow up there.  It's real alarming how bad it still is!  Yet some ugly secrets are there and most people know but don't tell.  I only know because of women describing their childhood to me.  They were just praying and waiting to be old enough to get out.

Pretty much everyone in Ferndale is realted to someone else there on way or another. 

pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:27:03 PM »

P.S. Mary Anne.  No paralysis that I know of yet.
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:28:09 PM »

Fernwood, home of the first electric car.

Martin Mull, Fred Willard and a very young Jim Varney explain how it operates, circa 1970s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FsVjKewl_U

Mick, I would stay up late to watch that show!  It killed me.  Love Martin Mull.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »

Guy Fieri grew up and still lives in Ferndale always portrayed it as such and being very laid back....Not sure what the point of any of this is to begin with.....they race bad horses at Ferndale?.....they always have......They have bad jockeys at Ferndale?......they always have......They are a fair that runs up against Golden Gate.....And why the race card was played......God only knows

SHOWTIME!!!
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »

We've never had such bad horses and all bad jockeys.  It used to be a nice meet. 

As for laid back, you might see that during the day with men hanging out playing cards etc in the back of the breakfast place.

There is NO LAID back going on with politics.  It's all right wing.  To the extreme.  If they see a black person. look out!  Its the "N" word that comes out of their mouths.  If anyone calls them on it, they get threatened with physical violence.  Women and men, just not the men, are intolerant.  It's ugly.  If we hadn't already paid do much for our lovely place, we'd head for home right now.''

Never felt so uncomfortable in my own county until hearing what's going on here.  It's downright creepy.  Nothing changes here.  It's like it's still in the 1800s.  They are not moving on.

The sheep herder they hired to be GM didn't even graduate from high school. 

Don't let anyone tell you Ferndale is laid back.  No such thing.
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »

Pam; That place suddenly doesn't sound like much fun!   Get the hell out of there, and head over to Elko Nevada next week!   

http://www.theracingjournal.com/info/track.php?track_id=62

Ferndale a 'right-wing' stronghold??...next thing you know, liberal Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer's decades long political careers are over?

Well, one can dream. laughing guy

The more you bet...the more you win
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:48:59 AM »

Hey Grinder, we might just do that.  I'm going to talk to my husband when he gets back from his coffee and papers jaunt.  I have a feeling there will be blueberry pancakes in there some place.

We have to do something!  This has been a serious bust.  Never knew there was a flawed and ugly underbelly to "small charming" Ferndale.  I will never call it that again.
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:26 PM »

Sorry to hear that this was not a enjoyable meet for those reasons you mentioned. No excuse for people to act that way.
Racing is supposed to be a game where the cast works together, and chuckles at the poor stiffs who have to work regular jobs.

The more you bet...the more you win
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »

It was just that way until two years ago. During a football game with an out of town team, the Ferndale fans were calling out the "N" word!  Those who voiced their opinion about it being just wrong were threatened with physical violence.  It hasn't stopped in TWO YEARS.

The GM was theatened by the board, saying his  wife who is the owner/editor of the paper, may not print anything that makes a board member "look bad" even if it's fact. So then the mayor got hammered and took a mild truck, put his grand daughter in it and crashed it.  The owner/editor wrote the facts in the paper.  More threats that if he, the GM didn't stop his wife from writing anything about board member that  make them look bad and didn't quit reminding them about the Brown Act, when his contract came up for renewal, it may not be picked up.  This is the kind of town where men can tell their wives what to do.  Not his wife.  She has won many journalistic rewards and is an accomplished journalist and tells it like it is.

So now they hired a goat farmer who never even graduated from high school.  And this was after the GM"s review which was very positive. First surpluss in years!
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »

That should have read MILK truck.

Now this laid back town is so divided, we can only eat in certain restaurants. There are the "for and against."  If you can believe that one!

I should add the fair board started appointing ad hoc committees so they could meet with no reporters or anyone else they didn't want in the meetings.

They don't care about the Brown act and thumb their nose at anyone who reminds them of it.  The ignorance runs rampant here.  Laid back, hah! 
Ed

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »

During a football game with an out of town team, the Ferndale fans were calling out the "N" word!  Those who voiced their opinion about it being just wrong were threatened with physical violence.

John Frank was visiting?
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »

Ha ha, Ed, it was just like that!  In this day and age!  How shameful.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »

Pam, out of curiosity, how do the ladies dress for these races? Is it casual or dresses and heels?
pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »

Oh boy, Mary Anne, there are no dresses or heels.  I'm laughing.  It's jeans and ripped up jeans for short shorts with all the shaggy fabrick from the rips hanging down. The 20 somethings wear very low cut tops with no sleeves no matter how freezing it is.  Even the  (and there are many) over 200 pounders.  (shame on me!)

There is one woman who will wear a suit.  She dresses as if she is a 20 something but she's in her 60s with every lift there is and real long fake hair extensions.  Everyone calls her "Barbie" even though that isn't her name.

What really ticks me off is she always has worn a tiny little captains hat (I guess to cover where the extensions are glued on) and it was always perched kind of sideways on top of her head.

Now she is wearing a cowboy hat and a Panama like I always have worn for all these years.  People keep asking me did I loan her some of my hats.  They find that very funny!

Men wear jeans and khakis.  There is a hat contest today so a lot of women will wear nicer clothes and a hat. Horrible hats.  It's more like a cattle call.  Shute and all.  I think you'd get a kick out of it.  But hey, it's the country.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: