Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 17, 2014, 02:45:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An asphalt oval  (Read 1362 times)
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2013, 10:24:58 PM »

Has Terry even been to Haw?

Terry was at least a weekend regular there for quite awhile. When he stopped coming, I just figured he had been given the same ultimatum as some of my friends who also stopped coming to the track. 

And sadly, I'm kind of excited for Haw to open.  As much as I complain about it, it has a certain quality about it. 

It's...earthy. It's unpretentious. You look around on a Saturday, when the grills are going outside and everyone is drinking beer (that they didn't have to pay a small fortune for), people of all kinds and colors, just having a good time talking about horses and betting on horses...and you say, this is for ME. This is for EVERYONE.

This is my modern day "dive bar", where, if I am already out in a t-shirt and jeans, I can just stop in and have a few beers -- no need to go home and change into something fancy or corporate or preppy. Hawthorne ain't no fashion show, and God Bless them for that: let the other track's patrons try to Keep Up With The Kardashians.

Yeah, you catch a whiff of industrial P.U. sometimes when you are outside, but I never saw anyone that had to leave in an ambulance because of it. The toxicity of the exhaust from your car in your closed garage, or cleaning your cat's litter box at close range, is likely to be far more damaging to you than anything in the air surrounding the Hawthorne oval. It's a cheap punch line for the haters to stroke themselves with; another flimsy excuse for the 'fraidy cats who think everything south of Roosevelt Road is Southern Illinois.

You want to see and be seen with The Beautiful People? Sure, go to Arlington...but if you want to just come out and have a good time, relaxed and comfortable, with good food and drinks at reasonable prices -- and the same exact horses you see at Arlington -- come on out to Hawthorne.

And if you want to bring some friends and family out to the place, stop in at Customer Service and tell them you will bring some people with you next time, and ask the gals for some free passes. (Try THAT at Arlington!)
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2013, 11:49:42 PM »

The most repugnant Haw patron I've ever encountered was a sleeveless piece of white trash on the 3 floor.  He was drunk, loud, and had about a six word vocabulary, and just wouldn't shut the f up.  Am I allowed to say white trash?

Sounds a great deal like some of the bunch that regularly lounge around the 2nd floor bar at AP.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »

Leave Terry alone. He doesn't get out much any more.

When I read the (PL?) comment the other day about the loser at AP in jean shorts and a Blackhawks jersey, I immediately thought, "Jean shorts? Horse Voice!"

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »

Terry was at least a weekend regular there for quite awhile. When he stopped coming, I just figured he had been given the same ultimatum as some of my friends who also stopped coming to the track. 

Ultimatum? WTF. Some of your friends got "ultimatums"? For what?

Maybe motto is right about scum.

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 11:03:06 AM »

Ultimatum? WTF. Some of your friends got "ultimatums"? For what?

I heard it was for excessive amounts of Old Spice.  The after shave aroma was interacting with the Brylcreem.  HAW offered to provide Hi Karate and Wildroot, but those old guys can be stubborn.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »

I heard it was for excessive amounts of Old Spice.  The after shave aroma was interacting with the Brylcreem.  HAW offered to provide Hi Karate and Wildroot, but those old guys can be stubborn.

Thanks beobob. I wasn't aware those crusty old south side Poles and Lithuanians and so on that HV hangs with used any product at all.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 12:23:47 PM »

Thanks beobob. I wasn't aware those crusty old south side Poles and Lithuanians and so on that HV hangs with used any product at all.

Hey hey hey -- we don't need no stinkin' fairy products!

We shower every week, whether we need to or not.  cheese
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: