Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 21, 2014, 01:26:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An asphalt oval  (Read 1438 times)
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »

We have the same crap racing at Hawthorne as we do Arlington.  So some of you like to hang around a bunch of low class bums and scum in a shit area with dirty smog!  I am happy for you,  I prefer the kids jumping around watching families be families and in GENERAL hanging with the beautiful people at the most beautiful racetrack in the world.
Report to moderator   Logged
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 12:39:05 PM »

We have the same crap racing at Hawthorne as we do Arlington.  So some of you like to hang around a bunch of low class bums and scum in a shit area with dirty smog!

Typical effete suburbanite fear mongering and misinformation.

If you ever dare come to Hawthorne, I'll make sure a "low class bum"* asks you who you like in the first race, just to make sure you crap your pants for the day.

* You also get a "No Balls" award for using code, and not saying what you REALLY mean. You are a coward AND dishonest.  thumbs down

Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »

why anyone would post to this garbage thread, other than to type this, is beyond me.

the travers stakes, $1,000,000 for the eclipse for colts is Saturday, and your focus is how the shit laden pollytrack looked from the air..

here is the answer..its full of horseshit...NEXT !

pollytrack is full of horseshit even before it gets full of horseshit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:44:20 PM by Secretariat » Report to moderator   Logged

Certified Derbytologist
Secretariat

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »

saturdays card at toga is world class..

Certified Derbytologist
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »

I am a long-time horse player and I don't hate Arlington. I have some very fond memories of it and always had a good time there. That was when Mr. D owned it. What I really dislike is how CDI operates. I'm not a Mr. D hater either. I used to see him a lot at Arlington and he was always very gracious and welcoming to all of the patrons. I can even tell you what his one regret was with the rebuilding of Arlington. He was once a giving a tour to a guy and they were standing near us. He told him his one regret was not making the walking ring and paddock bigger. What I don't like about Mr. D now is his trying to put Hawthorne out of business.

We went to Arlington, Hawthorne and Sportman's regularly for years and even though Arlington is a palace, our favorite track was always Hawthorne. The reason for that is Arlington is "touristy" and Hawthorne always catered to the horse players. That's probably why we like the OTB's now; they are not touristy.

My suggestion to you is to not take criticisms of Arlington and CDI as a personal attack to you. My priorities are the horses and the sport of horse racing. Those are no longer the priorities of CDI so you can see why the clash occurs. I'm also concerned about what will happen to Arlington once Mr. D is gone, when CDI will have more control with how it operates. Even with Mr. D still there, it's just not as fan friendly as it used to be.

Ok, I buy that explanation.  Even though Mr. D represents the devil to some people, it was customer friendly under his solo watch. CD is a cold, hard corporation bent on making money wherever that leads them.  Unfortunately, that is pretty much the attitude of business in general when operating on a big scale.  I, too, worry about what will happen when Mr. D is gone.  His son runs the main company and is on the CD board along with another person from the company.  I am not sure if I have ever seen him at AP.  All I ever see is the lucky son-in-law.  Plus, his son is about my age which is sort of old.

Mr. D is able to push back against CD, for example, the name change back to Arlington International.  I am not sure if his son would do that or want to do that.

I do still like the place, even though I am aware of the changes since the merger.  We will still disagree in the future, but at least I know where you are coming from.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

We have the same crap racing at Hawthorne as we do Arlington.  So some of you like to hang around a bunch of low class bums and scum in a shit area with dirty smog!  I am happy for you,  I prefer the kids jumping around watching families be families and in GENERAL hanging with the beautiful people at the most beautiful racetrack in the world.

The players at Hawthorne are exactly the same class as many of the characters you hang with, Motto. You would fit right in at Haw.

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »

why anyone would post to this garbage thread, other than to type this, is beyond me.

Why anyone would post to a thread just to say "why would anyone post to this thread" (or the evergreen "this thread is stupid I don't like it") is beyond me, too. But guys go to the trouble to sign in to do just that on a regular basis, so go figure.

the travers stakes, $1,000,000 for the eclipse for colts is Saturday

That's great. So you start your own thread and talk about that to your heart's content, and just ignore this one that doesn't interest you. What's so difficult about that?

Whoops! Looks like you already did, and your thread is absolutely abuzz. Good work.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:16:59 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »

If you ever dare come to Hawthorne, I'll make sure a "low class bum"* asks you who you like in the first race, just to make sure you crap your pants for the day.

* You also get a "No Balls" award for using code, and not saying what you REALLY mean. You are a coward AND dishonest.  thumbs down

Good reply, HV. I found his comments insulting to anyone who has gone to Hawthorne. I had met a lot of nice people at Hawthorne who we would also see at Sportman's and Arlington. Our mutual interest was horse racing and when we talked about class, it was about the horses. When these people were at Arlington, no one could tell they also went to the other tracks because they looked just like those who might have gone to Arlington only.

I had seen a lot of kids at Hawthorne too. I don't know if they still do it but when we would go to Hawthorne on a weekday, there were kids from a school or schools who would be eating their lunches in the clubhouse. They would brown bag it and it looked like Hawthorne provided a bag of chips and a Coke for each. As a kid, I would have loved to have had lunch at a track.

In any event, I guess some just don't get it that horse players like to spend their time with other horse players and enjoy the track experience, and some just don't put as many restrictions on it as others.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »

I had met a lot of nice people at Hawthorne...and when we talked about class, it was about the horses.

You should get some sort of award for a passage like this. Talk about getting it "in a nutshell"!

Well done.  trophy

Boo, elitism!  thumbs down
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »

Boo, elitism!

I think mottoman is just an Archie Bunker.
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »

Lady your a meathead!!!
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »

* You also get a "No Balls" award for using code, and not saying what you REALLY mean. You are a coward AND dishonest.  thumbs down

Playing the race card again?  IMO most people are racist to certain extent, obviously some more than others, but give it a rest HV.  

BOO you constantly playing the race card
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:08:18 PM by jgp » Report to moderator   Logged
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 07:10:00 PM »

Lady your a meathead!!!

That's a lot better than being an airhead man!!!
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »

Please enlighten us as to what the real issue is.
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »

Please enlighten us as to what the real issue is.
What?
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 07:18:04 PM »

What?

If the issue isn't race, what is the real issue?
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 07:34:15 PM »

He is right, Hawthorne has a lot more scumbags and low lifes than AP, and is located in a dirty town.  What does race have to do with it?  If you don't mind it fine, if you do, don't go.  Its pretty simple.  I like both tracks for different reasons.   HV should be in politics, he loves to flip things around or divert from the subject with irrational accusations, this isn't the first time.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »

Quit pretending that it isn't the issue, when mottoman characterizes people as follows:

Hawthorne (mostly Hispanic & Black clientele): "low class bums", "scum"

Arlington (mostly white clientele): "the beautiful people"

He's not even a little clever about it. And I'm sick of racism, whether blatant or encoded. It's 2013 already, goddammit -- all of the Archie Bunker types are supposed to be dead and gone already.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »

He is right, Hawthorne has a lot more scumbags and low lifes than AP, and is located in a dirty town.

You are SO full of shit, it's ridiculous.

If you and mottoman had a baby, it would come out with a small ugly mustache and an armband with a swastika on it. 

jgp

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2013, 07:43:31 PM »

You are SO full of shit, it's ridiculous.

If you and mottoman had a baby, it would come out with a small ugly mustache and an armband with a swastika on it. 

Yawn
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »

Quit pretending that it isn't the issue, when mottoman characterizes people as follows:

Hawthorne (mostly Hispanic & Black clientele): "low class bums", "scum"

Arlington (mostly white clientele): "the beautiful people"

He's not even a little clever about it. And I'm sick of racism, whether blatant or encoded. It's 2013 already, goddammit -- all of the Archie Bunker types are supposed to be dead and gone already.
The most repugnant Haw patron I've ever encountered was a sleeveless piece of white trash on the 3 floor.  He was drunk, loud, and had about a six word vocabulary, and just wouldn't shut the f up.  Am I allowed to say white trash?
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2013, 07:56:25 PM »

The most repugnant Haw patron I've ever encountered was a sleeveless piece of white trash on the 3 floor.  He was drunk, loud, and had about a six word vocabulary, and just wouldn't shut the f up.  Am I allowed to say white trash?

Leave Terry alone. He doesn't get out much any more.
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 08:08:09 PM »

Leave Terry alone. He doesn't get out much any more.
Has Terry even been to Haw?  And sadly, I'm kind of excited for Haw to open.  As much as I complain about it, it has a certain quality about it. 
amtino06

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 08:19:59 PM »

I really wish we could all appreciate both of these tracks. I LOVE Arlington. I love the paddock, the morning works, THE SPEED BIAS, the beautiful landscape, and the high class atmosphere. A few months later, I'm already licking my chops for Hawthorne. The gritty blue collared atmosphere is welcome after months of 'AHOY-PALLOY!', the dirt racing, the BETTER cheaper food, THE SPEED BIAS, the 'shady horsemens bar'. This is what it's all about people!! You literally have the best of both worlds 45 minutes apart!! Be thankful for it! You could be subjected to Lone Star and Remington or Yavapai and Turf Paradise. Embrace what you have! Support ILLINOIS RACING!!
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »

I really wish we could all appreciate both of these tracks. I LOVE Arlington.

I miss the old AP.

When I started my boycott, which started the very day RLD threatened to shut AP and turn it back into farmland -- which prompted me to send him a small bag of seed corn, with a note: "Come on, do it you crabby old ***!" -- if you would have told me the old Dust Farter would still be around and actively engaged in AP's everyday business in 2013...I dunno.

It's been a LONG time away. I can work around the poly races -- the turf races are usually excellent.

Come on, RLD, retire already...or something...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: