Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 30, 2014, 04:56:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An asphalt oval  (Read 1370 times)
bnlong

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:13:03 AM »

With that black poly um track ? WGN's aerial shot of Arlington looked more like a car track

with an asphalt oval.
Report to moderator   Logged
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

I noticed that too...

well actually I was on track but the poly did look strangely darker then usual....it is amazing the color of the polytrack from year 1 to now.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »

With that black poly um track ? WGN's aerial shot of Arlington looked more like a car track

with an asphalt oval.

I saw that helicopter hovering way up there and far away.  Did they get any good racing shots?  Overhead shots are some of the best views of a race.

It does not matter how the track looks, it is how it rides that is important.  Although since it was a turf day, the Polytrack did not matter that much, it could have been blue, but that would clashed with the green of the turf.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 12:04:04 AM »

I saw an aerial shot of Arlington during the simulcast. There were a lot of people on the apron and by the rail. What was interesting was there were a lot of vacant seats. Did they not sell as many seats and boxes as usual? I heard the attendance was around 34,000 and I know that's a big crowd but it didn't look like many were in the reserved seats or boxes.

At the OTB, they had reserved tables for everyone who normally would show up for the Derby and Breeder's Cup but none of them showed. The crowd at the OTB looked like the typical Saturday crowd.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »

I saw an aerial shot of Arlington during the simulcast. There were a lot of people on the apron and by the rail. What was interesting was there were a lot of vacant seats. Did they not sell as many seats and boxes as usual? I heard the attendance was around 34,000 and I know that's a big crowd but it didn't look like many were in the reserved seats or boxes.

At the OTB, they had reserved tables for everyone who normally would show up for the Derby and Breeder's Cup but none of them showed. The crowd at the OTB looked like the typical Saturday crowd.

Ah, Mary Ann, always putting a dark cloud behind every Arlington silver lining.  Between the races, people do move around to get food, go to the paddock, visit the johns, to make bets, to cool off inside, or just to see the sights. Arlington does have a big inside area where things are going on.  I would not go to an OTB in the summer either when I can go to the track in my own backyard.  When the Derby and BC are run, the weather may not be the greatest and they are not run here.  So then it is off to the OTB for me.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »

Ah, Mary Ann, always putting a dark cloud behind every Arlington silver lining.  Between the races, people do move around to get food, go to the paddock, visit the johns, to make bets, to cool off inside, or just to see the sights. Arlington does have a big inside area where things are going on.  I would not go to an OTB in the summer either when I can go to the track in my own backyard.  When the Derby and BC are run, the weather may not be the greatest and they are not run here.  So then it is off to the OTB for me.

Actually, Dan, I was telling it like I saw it. I've been to Arlington many times, went there regularly for years. I know how people move around the place but what I saw with a lot of empty seats on Saturday was more than people just moving around at the same time. Some friends who were with us at the OTB on Saturday and have gone to the track for the Million before told us on Saturday they would never do it again because it's just too crowded and nuts. In fact, these friends used to have a box at Arlington and then switched to reserved seats at the finish line. They were told they could have the reserved seats for the entire season but not for the Million; that there would be a drawing for the seats for the Million. After hearing that, they gave up the seats.

We find it more relaxing and comfortable to be at the OTB. My observation of the empty seats is not going to change the attendance numbers. What it may indicate is that people are not purchasing the reserved seats and boxes like they once did. I'll bet I had a better view of the race watching the simulcast than you did.

In case you bet on Grandeur, I saw something today that he came up lame after the race.
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »

As I was there on Friday before the Million and thinking of going the next day, I asked about reserved seat availability for two...I was told they were sold out.  They did have a random single or two, but essentially sold out in the boxes or grandstand.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:57:08 PM »

As I was there on Friday before the Million and thinking of going the next day, I asked about reserved seat availability for two...I was told they were sold out.  They did have a random single or two, but essentially sold out in the boxes or grandstand.

How can that be true?  We were just informed by Mary Ann from her superior view at the OTB that there were a lot of "empty seats".  Poor people must have bought seat tickets and then went to the OTB instead.  Damn Arlington must have lied to Battled, Tired about being sold out.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »

How can that be true?  We were just informed by Mary Ann from her superior view at the OTB that there were a lot of "empty seats".  Poor people must have bought seat tickets and then went to the OTB instead.  Damn Arlington must have lied to Battled, Tired about being sold out.

At the time I saw it, I would say one-fourth of the seats were being used. There was a large group of people in the center and smaller groups throughout. The reason I mentioned it was because it looked strange, similar to seeing a baseball game with a lot of empty seats while watching it on TV.

I wouldn't have thought much of it if I saw it before the first race but it was after a couple of races. Wasn't it you who mentioned the helicopter? Now you know what it was doing. It was providing footage for the simulcast and the angle was from the east looking west. I know what I saw and you can believe what you want. Possibly, people showed up later for the big races and didn't stay the whole day. That would make sense for a lot of the people who go to Arlington. One of the things I don't miss about Arlington is rude and sarcastic people like yourself and they've got plenty of them there who also have no clue about horse racing.
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 01:31:25 AM »

Actually, Dan, I was telling it like I saw it. I've been to Arlington many times, went there regularly for years. I know how people move around the place but what I saw with a lot of empty seats on Saturday was more than people just moving around at the same time.

They were all inside, betting their brains out on the one good card of racing AP has provided all summer.

Good for AP. They always do Million Day up right.

Hope everyone had fun.

PS - With my HV-like omniscience, I know all this for a fact even from my Saturday perch at the top of the racing grandstand at Ely, NV.

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:33:25 AM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 06:38:25 AM »

PS - With my HV-like omniscience, I know all this for a fact even from my Saturday perch at the top of the racing grandstand at Ely, NV.

Boy, you really have a hard-on for me, don't you? I didn't make a peep in this thread before you mentioned me.

Find something to do out there, will ya? Drop a damn line in some water or something. Jeez.  head shake
Battled, Tired

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:45 AM »

A couple of my buds who attended said betting lines were healthy as there are always a aspect of novices there....plus the food lines were large.  Paddock was jammed all day, too.

Having done my time in the electronic media world, who is to say when that flyby was done of the grandstand by the WGN chopper?  During a race, 45 minutes before post, another day?  Remember that these were the geniuses that left their coverage before the DQ was determined to get to Funniest Videos.....
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »

Boy, you really have a hard-on for me, don't you? I didn't make a peep in this thread before you mentioned me.

As I told you before, you get the same treatment you give everyone else, namely jumping in their threads to make some inane and generally off-topic demeaning comment. Quit your whining, and get used to it.

Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »

They were all inside, betting their brains out on the one good card of racing AP has provided all summer.

If you want to see people really moving around at Arlington, be there on a crowded day when all of a sudden it starts raining and everyone comes in looking for a place to sit and everything is taken. One time when we were there, it started pouring and some had the bright idea of dragging in the tables and chairs that were located right outside the doors. They put the tables in front of the doors inside and security had to tell them to move the tables because they couldn't block the exits. I really don't miss stuff like that, those with no common sense.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »

As I told you before, you get the same treatment you give everyone else, namely jumping in their threads to make some inane and generally off-topic demeaning comment. Quit your whining, and get used to it.

Sorry, you don't get to indulge in so-called "low" behavior AND lecture me about it at the same time.

Jeez, even the women here don't play the "want it both ways" game here. Grow a pair, would ya?  head shake
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »

Sorry, you don't get to indulge in so-called "low" behavior AND lecture me about it at the same time.

What lecture is that? Just telling it like it is. You get the same treatment you hand out.

Jeez, even the women here don't play the "want it both ways" game here. Grow a pair, would ya?  head shake

You're the one whining that someone else directed one of your patented inane out-of-the-blue attacks at you.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »

What lecture is that? Just telling it like it is. You get the same treatment you hand out.

You're the one whining that someone else directed one of your patented inane out-of-the-blue attacks at you.

Ah, I see.

In that case, you need to quit making out-of the-blue attacks at me. Now.

(See how that works? That's called "wanting it both ways", which is the EXACT same game you are playing here: make an attack, then make like you are above it all. Girlie games.)
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:35 PM »

Ah, I see.

In that case, you need to quit making out-of the-blue attacks at me. Now.

(See how that works? That's called "wanting it both ways", which is the EXACT same game you are playing here: make an attack, then make like you are above it all. Girlie games.)

Where is it I'm making like I'm above it especially as regards you, Mr. (or Ms.) Girlie Logic? I specifically told you several times you were going to be treated exactly the same as you treat others.

You're the one who seems to want it both ways, crying "Boo hoo hoo! I didn't make a peep in this thread before you mentioned me", wanting to be able to act like a jerk with impunity but then be exempt from the same. Grow yourself a pair and quit the whining. You get treated the way you treat others.

mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »

Well said Terry!   trophy
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »

At the time I saw it, I would say one-fourth of the seats were being used. There was a large group of people in the center and smaller groups throughout. The reason I mentioned it was because it looked strange, similar to seeing a baseball game with a lot of empty seats while watching it on TV.

I wouldn't have thought much of it if I saw it before the first race but it was after a couple of races. Wasn't it you who mentioned the helicopter? Now you know what it was doing. It was providing footage for the simulcast and the angle was from the east looking west. I know what I saw and you can believe what you want. Possibly, people showed up later for the big races and didn't stay the whole day. That would make sense for a lot of the people who go to Arlington. One of the things I don't miss about Arlington is rude and sarcastic people like yourself and they've got plenty of them there who also have no clue about horse racing.

Not that it means much, but the helicopter was west of AP shooting toward the east.  I know that because I was there.  The crowd does pick up for the big stakes races as they probably do at other tracks.  Wow, "rude and sarcastic"!  Look in a mirror to see what that means, lady.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »

Not that it means much, but the helicopter was west of AP shooting toward the east.  I know that because I was there.  The crowd does pick up for the big stakes races as they probably do at other tracks.  Wow, "rude and sarcastic"!  Look in a mirror to see what that means, lady.

The aerial view I saw was from the east looking west (a little northwest). You just proved my point in your being rude and sarcastic.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 11:17:08 PM »

Mary Ann:

Who are you and why do you hate everything about Arlington again?  I seemed to have missed that post.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 09:54:25 AM »

Mary Ann:

Who are you and why do you hate everything about Arlington again?  I seemed to have missed that post.

I am a long-time horse player and I don't hate Arlington. I have some very fond memories of it and always had a good time there. That was when Mr. D owned it. What I really dislike is how CDI operates. I'm not a Mr. D hater either. I used to see him a lot at Arlington and he was always very gracious and welcoming to all of the patrons. I can even tell you what his one regret was with the rebuilding of Arlington. He was once a giving a tour to a guy and they were standing near us. He told him his one regret was not making the walking ring and paddock bigger. What I don't like about Mr. D now is his trying to put Hawthorne out of business.

We went to Arlington, Hawthorne and Sportman's regularly for years and even though Arlington is a palace, our favorite track was always Hawthorne. The reason for that is Arlington is "touristy" and Hawthorne always catered to the horse players. That's probably why we like the OTB's now; they are not touristy.

My suggestion to you is to not take criticisms of Arlington and CDI as a personal attack to you. My priorities are the horses and the sport of horse racing. Those are no longer the priorities of CDI so you can see why the clash occurs. I'm also concerned about what will happen to Arlington once Mr. D is gone, when CDI will have more control with how it operates. Even with Mr. D still there, it's just not as fan friendly as it used to be.
SandyLoam

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:33 AM »

I am a long-time horse player and I don't hate Arlington. I have some very fond memories of it and always had a good time there. That was when Mr. D owned it. What I really dislike is how CDI operates. I'm not a Mr. D hater either. I used to see him a lot at Arlington and he was always very gracious and welcoming to all of the patrons. I can even tell you what his one regret was with the rebuilding of Arlington. He was once a giving a tour to a guy and they were standing near us. He told him his one regret was not making the walking ring and paddock bigger. What I don't like about Mr. D now is his trying to put Hawthorne out of business.

We went to Arlington, Hawthorne and Sportman's regularly for years and even though Arlington is a palace, our favorite track was always Hawthorne. The reason for that is Arlington is "touristy" and Hawthorne always catered to the horse players. That's probably why we like the OTB's now; they are not touristy.

My suggestion to you is to not take criticisms of Arlington and CDI as a personal attack to you. My priorities are the horses and the sport of horse racing. Those are no longer the priorities of CDI so you can see why the clash occurs. I'm also concerned about what will happen to Arlington once Mr. D is gone, when CDI will have more control with how it operates. Even with Mr. D still there, it's just not as fan friendly as it used to be.

thumbs up trophy Mary Ann, Could not have said it better myself! The essence of my stance.

As for that Paulick video, a perfect representation of what Arlington is. Long on kids jumping up and down and picnicking and short on racing, or at least good racing. The Cubs business model. Don't present a quality product, sell the beyootifull facility.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »

thumbs up trophy Mary Ann, Could not have said it better myself! The essence of my stance.

As for that Paulick video, a perfect representation of what Arlington is. Long on kids jumping up and down and picnicking and short on racing, or at least good racing. The Cubs business model. Don't present a quality product, sell the beyootifull facility.

Sandy, I place a higher value on what I consider substance over what I consider superficial.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: