Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 11:02:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stifles locking up  (Read 1950 times)
Steve G

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

Any suggestions to help this? 
Report to moderator   Logged
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 04:56:03 PM »

Any suggestions to help this? 
how old is the horse?
nztrotr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »

try using ecp . 10cc im once or twice a week . have had a lot of luck going this route
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 08:22:19 AM »

ecp...that is a hormone    steve  the stilfe locks because the legiments are loose ...have your vet inject the stifle muscle with iodine  and long slow jog miles..also  when it does lock up  just push the horse backwards..make him step back  that will pop it back in   good luck
Steve G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:06:47 AM »

ecp...that is a hormone    steve  the stilfe locks because the legiments are loose ...have your vet inject the stifle muscle with iodine  and long slow jog miles..also  when it does lock up  just push the horse backwards..make him step back  that will pop it back in   good luck

thank you for the response.......talked to the vet today. he says that seeing that we have been jogging and training the horse, and have injected the stifle already and it isn't getting any better, he recommends going in and cutting it. the horse is three years old and is a Cash Hall gelding.
dennycrane

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »

steve ..i have never been a fan of cutting ....who is your vet??can you get to a top notch guy for a 2nd??  i can help you with finding a vet for a 2nd opinion
nztrotr

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:59:10 AM »

yes ecp is a hormone but not one of the ones on the restricted list .  before you even think of cutting the cords you should try the ecp .   many times after cutting the cords you develop a host of unwanted problems . cutting should be your last option .  epm will also cause stifle problems ( catching , weakness , etc ) .  I brought up using ecp because it's been an effective and  reasonably priced treatment that I and many other horseman  have experienced .  try it for a  few weeks and I you don't see the results you want , consider treating your horse or epm .     
TommyK

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »

Never cut a horse!  do you paint his stifles and hock's?  a GOOD stifle paint to where it scurfs him and keep a scurf on him  how ever many miles you jog him jog him more!
Steve G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »

We didnt cut anything, sent him out to a.new trainer. We will.see if he can get him to the races.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: