Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 18, 2014, 04:34:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ot: Sox  (Read 589 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »

Is there a reliever in baseball that stinks worse than Matt Thornton?

Geez every time I see the guy come in he's blowing a game.

P.U.
Report to moderator   Logged

He's literate and funny.  I can see why he angers you so.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »

P.U.

This team is the worse team that I have seen in my years following baseball with the Sox.  What is worse, I see no way out, now or later.  I thought they would be around 500 this year and win some, lose some.  In other words, I hoped they would be entertaining.  This situation is sick.  It is so bad that my betting is better that the Sox playing.  Oh, well, on to the Bears!

On the north side, the Cubs seem to be showing signs of coming out of their darkness.  That is even more depressing.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:48:19 PM by APCD Dan » Report to moderator   Logged
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:04:18 AM »

P.U.

Marmol still in a class by himself, just not showing up as often.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 08:46:24 AM »

On the north side, the Cubs seem to be showng signs of coming out of their darkness.  That is even more depressing.

I hear Theo Epstein is almost guaranteeing a Cubs team with a winning record by 2016.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »

Marmol still in a class by himself, just not showing up as often.

Is Marmol still in MLB somewhere?

beobob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:28:07 AM »

Is Marmol still in MLB somewhere?

Cubs traded him to Dodgers a couple weeks ago.  They were going send him down and work with their pitching coach for a while.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:40:26 AM »

Cubs traded him to Dodgers a couple weeks ago.  They were going send him down and work with their pitching coach for a while.

Marmol will be OK.

He just needed to get out of Chicago -- the pressure of helping maintain the Cubs losing tradition can cause even the strongest willed players to crack.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »

The overpriced free agents, bad trades, aging vets, and lack of a minor league system finally came to a head this year with the sox.....this is going to be a long and painful period of bad baseball on the south side
PURPLE LAVERN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »

Not quite ready to anoint Phegley the next hot thing but do like the cut of his jib.....

SOX ARE PAINFUL TO WATCH  (WTF HAPPENED TO ALEXI RAMIREZ...LIKE SPACE JAM THEY TOOK AWAY HIS SKILLZ & BRAIN)
but do get some guilty pleasure watching Hawk lose his mind day by day
brdman12

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 02:15:21 PM »

Over the last several years the Sox have been winning.  They are struggling now, and it is hard to watch, but they will turn it around much quicker than the Cubs. In spite of people saying they have nothing to look forward to, this is a good organization.  I like both Chicago baseball teams, but most of the winning happens on the south side...and it will probably stay that way..
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »

I like both Chicago baseball teams, but most of the winning happens on the south side...and it will probably stay that way..

Maybe in recent years this would be an accurate statement, but get this:

Starting with the 1903 season, when the Chicago National League franchise first played as the Cubs, and through the CURRENT standings, the total number of regular season wins is:

Cubs: 8670

Sox : 8669

(Source: http://www.baseball-reference.com)

So...that game yesterday DID mean something, after all.  Cheesy

Pretty weird, huh?
amtino06

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »

I've been extremely proud to be a White Sox for my 25 years on earth. Watching my friends cry and moan over an organization as pathetic as the Cubs has been awesome. And when we won the World Series, I was the happiest kid on earth. But I am VERY worried about what is to come of this town's baseball teams. I do not see the White Sox turning things around anytime soon, and I think Theo Epstein will prove to be a godsend to the northsiders. For a few years I've had this plan of taking a vacation and leaving the country for a week after the cubs win the world series because I don't want to be around to see their 'fans' enjoying themselves. Come next season I'll be walking into my bank to open an account to save for that 'vacation'. I can see my nightmare beginning to form. But I still think I have a few years to brag about that 05' WS....
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »

I've been extremely proud to be a White Sox for my 25 years on earth. Watching my friends cry and moan over an organization as pathetic as the Cubs has been awesome. And when we won the World Series, I was the happiest kid on earth. But I am VERY worried about what is to come of this town's baseball teams. I do not see the White Sox turning things around anytime soon, and I think Theo Epstein will prove to be a godsend to the northsiders. For a few years I've had this plan of taking a vacation and leaving the country for a week after the cubs win the world series because I don't want to be around to see their 'fans' enjoying themselves. Come next season I'll be walking into my bank to open an account to save for that 'vacation'. I can see my nightmare beginning to form. But I still think I have a few years to brag about that 05' WS....

They are still the Cubs, wouldn't be too worried about it.  I still don't get the Cubs/Sox rivalry.  You are a little younger than me, but before inter-league play, Cubs fans hated the Mets and Cardinals.  Yankee fans must laugh at us, two fan bases arguing over two organizations with 1 world series trophy in the last, roughly, 200 combined seasons.  A tallest *** contest.
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »

They are still the Cubs, wouldn't be too worried about it.  I still don't get the Cubs/Sox rivalry.  You are a little younger than me, but before inter-league play, Cubs fans hated the Mets and Cardinals. 

Still true. The hatred for the Cards and the Mets is very real. The animosity towards the Sox, what little there is, is more of a push-back than anything else; if Sox fans would grow up and stop hating on the Cubs, the whole issue would disappear.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the issue has already disappeared.  This used to be a huge series, the schedulers have killed it by playing it Monday thru Thursday for the last 5 years or so
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the issue has already disappeared. 

I hope you are right. Neither Chicago baseball team is a threat nor a problem to the other, so let's focus on both team's WINNING.

If the Sox and the Cubs can get to the World Series in the same year, *then* we can uncork the sap and each team's fans can start yapping at each other. Any other time, it's just stupid.
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 10:30:34 PM »

Still true. The hatred for the Cards and the Mets is very real. The animosity towards the Sox, what little there is, is more of a push-back than anything else; if Sox fans would grow up and stop hating on the Cubs, the whole issue would disappear.

Uhhhh ... no.

As I have explained to you 100 times, my first exposure to to this cross town "hate" came from Cubs fans, the 2990 of them I worked with in the north suburbs when I first moved here. But keep right on kidding yourself, and trying to kid others. One day maybe someone will believe you.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 10:32:05 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the issue has already disappeared.  This used to be a huge series, the schedulers have killed it by playing it Monday thru Thursday for the last 5 years or so

Lots of empty seats at the Cell the other night, in all the "walkup" type sections. In previous years anything the Sox fans didn't buy would be filled with blue.

HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »

Uhhhh ... no.

As I have explained to you 100 times, my first exposure to to this cross town "hate" came from Cubs fans, the 2990 of them I worked with in the north suburbs when I first moved here. But keep right on kidding yourself, and trying to kid others. One day maybe someone will believe you.

And I have ignored you 100 times, due to the usual problems with small and / or isolated examples.

The problem with you is, you're a carpetbagger; you spent your formative years somewhere else. You came here later and ran into a small pocket of likely "newer generation" of obnoxious Cubs fans, and somehow think they must represent ALL Cubs fans. They don't.

Meanwhile, I've lived in Chicago my whole life, 50+ years, and know thousands of people throughout the city and the 7 county area, and I am telling you that almost all the Cubs fans I know have repeated pretty much the same story: grew up hating the Cards and the Mets, while being almost completely oblivious to the White Sox.

Your "one company / one snobbo suburb" example doesn't cut it. You will just have to accept being wrong about this -- there is no way in hell your knowledge of this matter trumps mine.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 11:54:04 AM »

Where I grew up (northside and NW suburbs) most of us were Cub fans, but nobody hated the Sox.  When we started driving (early 70's) we went to plenty of Sox games.  

This battle line thing is a recent phenomenon, and it is not regulated just to this issue.  It seems that we have gotten to the point where in most every "choice" areas in life you can't just prefer, you also have to hate.  You can't be a good rep or dem unless you hate the other party.  If you prefer AP over HAW or HAW over AP it is imperative that you hate the other track, and label anyone who likes the track you hate a "hugger".
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »

And I have ignored you 100 times, due to the usual problems with small and / or isolated examples.

The problem with you is, you're a carpetbagger; you spent your formative years somewhere else. You came here later and ran into a small pocket of likely "newer generation" of obnoxious Cubs fans, and somehow think they must represent ALL Cubs fans. They don't.

Meanwhile, I've lived in Chicago my whole life, 50+ years, and know thousands of people throughout the city and the 7 county area, and I am telling you that almost all the Cubs fans I know have repeated pretty much the same story: grew up hating the Cards and the Mets, while being almost completely oblivious to the White Sox.

Your "one company / one snobbo suburb" example doesn't cut it. You will just have to accept being wrong about this -- there is no way in hell your knowledge of this matter trumps mine.

FISH ON!

On the contrary, me not caring about either team at all until about 1984 allowed me to see the phenomenon through objective eyes when I arrived, something you as a life long Cubs fan and Cubs fan apologist are clearly not capable of doing. And what's more, 28 years of living here now has also introduced me to "thousands of people" besides those at the original company I worked  at. They weren't any different than the many Cubs fans I've met since then.

The problem some Sox fans have is not the Cubs, per se, because who cares, but pompous strutting know-it-all Cubs fans like you, who gratuitously sprinkle observations like "Sox fans need to grow up" though their conversations, and who  - apparently because the Cubs suck so much - have to constantly run down the White Sox baseball field, or the girls who come to White Sox games, or whatever. And they do, I'm sorry to tell you that truth, but they do. You're just going to have to accept that, that's the facts. Many Cubs fans are insufferable twits who really have NOTHING to be superior about, but they still are. And THAT is what some Sox fans hate - Cubs FANS like you. The team itself, who cares.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:38:29 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

jgp

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »

FISH ON!

On the contrary, me not caring about either team at all until about 1984 allowed me to see the phenomenon through objective eyes when I arrived, something you as a life long Cubs fan and Cubs fan apologist are clearly not capable of doing. And what's more, 28 years of living here now has also introduced me to "thousands of people" besides those at the original company I worked  at. They weren't any different than the many Cubs fans I've met since then.

The problem some Sox fans have is not the Cubs, per se, because who cares, but pompous strutting know-it-all Cubs fans like you, who gratuitously sprinkle observations like "Sox fans need to grow up" though their conversations, and who  - apparently because the Cubs suck so much - have to constantly run down the White Sox baseball field, or the girls who come to White Sox games, or whatever. And they do, I'm sorry to tell you that truth, but they do. You're just going to have to accept that, that's the facts. Many Cubs fans are insufferable twits who really have NOTHING to be superior about, but they still are. And THAT is what some Sox fans hate - Cubs FANS like you. The team itself, who cares.

That's a pretty big generalization from an objective person, such as yourself.  Each team has its own merits.  I work near Bridgeport, so being a Cubs fan, I'm in the minority.  Most years we have fun taking jabs at each other, this year, no one cares.  I guess its more about who your around than anything else.  I will say this, most Sox fans I know are way more knowledgeable about the game and its history than Cubs fans. 
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »

That's a pretty big generalization from an objective person, such as yourself.  Each team has its own merits. 

I don't think your read carefully. IMHO it's not really a teams issue. I have nothing against the Cubs. Some of their fans different story.

I work near Bridgeport, so being a Cubs fan, I'm in the minority.  Most years we have fun taking jabs at each other

That can't be HV says no Cubs fan does those things.

this year, no one cares.

Ain't  that the truth. Year like this with the Sox gives me some insight into what Cubs fans go through year after year.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 11:05:53 PM »

BREAKING NEWS!

Matt Thornton (or, as we like to call him, Not Matt Thorton!) ... HE GONE!

beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130712&content_id=53586860&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: