Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 09:04:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CHALK BETTORS LOSE AGAIN  (Read 7091 times)
sn

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »

Ok Fan, I know he has it somewhere.
I can tell you this though, Im looking right at a picture of Eclipse when he won the FFA at Maywood in April of 87 He beat Ritmo and Black Shadow and the purse was $22,000!!!!!!
Report to moderator   Logged
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 05:06:20 PM »

sn,

I don't remember that horse off hand. But that is my point exactly. That some get the never ending check books, but most do not.  To me, It is what you make out of what you have to work with, that defines how good or bad you are. I think the  harmer's have done a great job over the years. But he never made falcon seelester,Jereme's jet,pacific, cotton sock and Sammy blue chip (to name a few)  into the horse's they were. IMO,The greatness was always there. he just did a fantastic management job with those. And I say that not as a knock but as a honest opinion of every "world beater" if you will that has ever raced for anyone.

One that I do remember you had was stone house john boy.  am I correct?
sn

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 05:15:46 PM »

I claimed Stonehouse Johnboy off Gordon Norris at SPK5/8
Joe (the knife) Anderson drove him for me first start and took him to the lead and opened up 10 lengths at the half and then PULLED him up at the 3/4!!!!
When I asked him why he said he had a broken cannon bone and not to put him down to drive anymore!!!!
The horse didnt have a PIMPLE on him, I raised him up to $30,000 the next week and put TM down to drive, He came down before the race and put a string on him so he could control him better!!!
Needless to say he won by 7 in 55 flat!!!! $30.60!!!! He was a nice horse, just a little crazy!!!
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 05:32:30 PM »

sn

That what i thought. I remember him being a little nuts,He had a training accident at maywood didn't he? I think it was with your wife if my memory is correct. I remember helping out.

My personal favorite with TM equipment changes had to be the-- piece of  electric fence wire as a lip cord. it controlled a hogging down *** I had once to a second at spk and a couple of wins at maywood. Funny thing about that was, had to be the night Morgan was driving something else, and boom boom told me to take it off, said we wouldn't be needing it tonight. i thought it was because no doubt we would be on the front, but as it turned out Ronnie knew something i didn't, we weren't going to keep up anyway! i sure had a ton of laughs with Ronnie,Joe Jr and bob!!!

That was when it was the most fun for me. Ronnie and his sick sense of humor!
sn

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2005, 05:41:38 PM »

Your memory is correct!!

Thats what I'm saying , thats when racing was fun!!! things like that dont go on anymore. All the horseman do now is moan and complain about being broke.
Not everyone had FFA pacers or top stock but everyone seemed to have a little money!!!
I remember all kinds of horseman walking around in a good mood with the nights program in their pocket, going to lunch, playing cards, going up to play the flats and laughing and smiling often!!!

"What happened to the game in CHI."!!!
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005, 06:06:07 PM »

sn

IMO

it lost the honor Arda pride of racing in Chicago. It was replaced with desperation, greed and historical low purses. in 89' at spk ( granted last two weeks of the meet) but nw 1 icf 7900. Do you remember when you would have to be the biggest low life in the world to claim a guy's only horse? hell if you did, you probably would of been ran out of the business by everyone else for doing it. Unfortunately, those day's are gone forever. The only way to have chip's and be in a good mood is keeping it a hobby. I have about 6 more years until my daughter will be done with college. And I will be back in, this time with plenty of my own chips. somewhere warm having fun and not worring about purse structure and staying a float

How is your wife doing these day's?
BIG FAN

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2005, 06:10:11 PM »

Scotty if memory is correct Black Shadow was a real nice horse all heart right?He had big time lameness issues though right?
sn

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2005, 06:14:10 PM »

Two bowed tendons!!! The "Redman" Bob Farrington kept him going along time by racing him out of the pool!!!
Dwight "Shadowroll Kid" Banks had him as a baby did a nice job with him also, he was a nice Ill. bred pacer!!
BIG FAN

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2005, 06:16:49 PM »

I thought that was him thanks ;)First win picture on my own Dwight drove back at SPK 5/8
I was a big fan of Ritmo back then too!!
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2005, 06:22:24 PM »

sn

remember a  horse named old time religion. I swear that horse was claimed so many times by  more barn's than any other in history. He was a 10 claimer I think. As i remember, he did nothing but make everyone money.
sn

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 06:24:25 PM »

I think this Thurs. will be the 15 year anniversary of when Ritmo's ( And RTP's) careers came to an end!!!
You see a guy named Steve Schultz left "Mo" turned out in a field next to some mares all night a went to enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner!!! when he returned, Ritmo was through the fence standing in the cold BLEEDING to death with a SEVERED tendon!!!!
I still dont know how Phil got over that one? ..........Sorry Buddy!!!
sn

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 06:28:01 PM »

Are you kidding!!! That was Gil LeVines favorate horse!!! "Thats thee OOOOLD TIME RELIGION"!!!
A guy named Frank Piggetti brought the horse out, he was soon claimed off him and had a host of new owners all who made money!!! he was an ironhorse for a claimer!!!
I think I seen him still racing up in Mich. when he was about 13 or so!!!
BIG FAN

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2005, 06:28:34 PM »

I remember Old Time Religon from SPK..The announcer would say "That's the Old Time Religon in front..Scotty sad story on MO I did not know that happened.Sorry to hear stories like that sad to say we all have them though....
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2005, 06:31:25 PM »

i never knew that's is what happened to rim. that would of been devastating if it happened to a cheap horse never mind a once in  a lifetime horse.
BIG FAN

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2005, 06:32:13 PM »

Old Gill what one heck of a tennis player too!
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2005, 06:34:30 PM »

i knew frank very well. That horse was never suppose to of  happened. But fiddley fox got loose one night and the next thing you know there was   old time relegion in Franks barn!
Dan Nance

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2005, 06:44:27 PM »

Harmer's reject " Sam-A-Way ". Harmer put him in the sale at Maywood and Fink and Argentino bought him for 32K. He never raced in a claimer for us.

sn

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2005, 06:52:21 PM »

Will you look at the people in those winners circle pictures!!!! Thats what winning races is suppose to be!!!
When I look at the winners circle now I see maybe one or two people along with Richy and the driver, just another depressing thing I didnt realize!!!

"Boy oh Boy"
BIG FAN

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2005, 06:56:35 PM »

yeah I agree Scotty!Also look at the amount of money in the pools
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2005, 06:59:59 PM »

Sn

A lift harness and a Nassau race bike. Now there is two thing's i never thought I would ever see again!!

I see by looking at those felt knee boot's he was still whacking those knee's. How in the hell did you guy's get him around that first turn at spk???
sn

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2005, 07:03:02 PM »

There was a key to him, you had to give him his head leaving the gate and on all the turns!!! the only time you could grab him a little was on the straights otherwise he would double himself up and Whack those knees!!!
Marc Aubin was the man for Sam, he was a much better driver and horsemen than people thought!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 07:06:32 PM by sn » Report to moderator   Logged
BIG FAN

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2005, 07:05:49 PM »

Aubin was good.He used to drive all of Tracy Guarascio's horses back then..

Its BJ"s Chance getting up!
dt2

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2005, 07:08:10 PM »

i thought aubin could really send one like no other. But I just didn't care for him at all as a person. But maybe that was because I didn't really know him??  
Dan Nance

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2005, 07:33:34 PM »

There was a key to him, you had to give him his head leaving the gate and on all the turns!!! the only time you could grab him a little was on the straights otherwise he would double himself up and Whack those knees!!!
Marc Aubin was the man for Sam, he was a much better driver and horsemen than people thought!!

SN
           Don't forget to memtion that " Sam-A-way " had a severe breathing problem that we fixed up. Let's also give some credit to the BEST blacksmith Chicago ever had and that was Wally Miller.

Now we're really talking harness racing !!
[/b]
sn

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2005, 07:42:44 PM »

Yeah, remember Mike Pernice getting all scared and wiping the blood from Sams nose when he came in from warming up thinking Doc Martin would see it and scratch him??
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: