Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 28, 2014, 07:20:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steak and Woody Allen  (Read 1701 times)
Mick

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »

Really off topic here but the buttons that were bursting on my clothes are now relaxed.

Woody Allen is a comic genius, though you would hardly know that in the last twenty years of his filmmaking.   When he first came on the scene he was not as subtle as he is today with his humor.   I now realize hat he was also a prognosticator in the film "Sleepers".  

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1yCeFmn_e2c&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1yCeFmn_e2c

I started a diet last week that is low carb and works thus far (see me in a year or two).  It is low carbs and allows for steak and fat in your diet but restricts carbs.   Don't get me wrong, I am missing bread, pizza, cereal, etc. but I'm also enjoying steak and eggs, bacon and eggs, sashimi, tilapia, chorizo tacos on low carb tortillas and I lost 8 pounds the first week.

I hated doing this but I gave up wine   horse as well.   I was down, until I found out that green olives and vodka have zero count them, zero carbs.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:44:49 PM by Mick » Report to moderator   Logged

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »

Really off topic here but the buttons that were bursting on my clothes are now relaxed.

Woody Allen is a comic genius, though you would hardly know that in the last twenty years of his filmmaking.   When he first came on the scene he was not as subtle as he is today with his humor.   I now realize hat he was also a prognosticator in the film "Sleepers".  

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1yCeFmn_e2c&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1yCeFmn_e2c

I started a diet last week that is low carb and works thus far (see me in a year or two).  It is low carbs and allows for steak and fat in your diet but restricts carbs.   Don't get me wrong, I am missing bread, pizza, cereal, etc. but I'm also enjoying steak and eggs, bacon and eggs, sashimi, tilapia, chorizo tacos on low carb tortillas and I lost 8 pounds the first week.

I hated doing this but I gave up wine   horse as well.   I was down, until I found out that green olives and vodka have zero count them, zero carbs.  
I have done low carb for years, It definitely works.
Having a glass of Merlot or a Cab is only 3.5 Grams of Carbs which is not bad. The diet works just drink tons of water. It allows someone to eat more and not starve all day
Report to moderator   Logged
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:01:25 PM »

This diet takes the pounds off quickly, but be warned they come back just as fast when you fall back into carb land.  You'll keep it off if you slowly ween yourself back on carbs when you've reached your goal.
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:09:09 PM »

Thanks exactorman and beobob, you both reiterated what I've been reading and investigating.   I'm in week two of the rest of my life.   I fully intend to make this a lifestyle change.

My goal is that when I die, none of he pallbearers will have a heart attack lifting me.   I weighed 195 a month ago and 190 just before starting Atkins.   I weighed 180.2 this morning and I have no doubt that I will shed another pound or two by tomorrow.    I may adjust my original target of 170 lbs down to 165 based upon how easy it is to lose fat, eating fat.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:12:27 PM by Mick » Report to moderator   Logged

the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »

This diet takes the pounds off quickly, but be warned they come back just as fast when you fall back into carb land.  You'll keep it off if you slowly ween yourself back on carbs when you've reached your goal.
You are absolutely correct. If you stick to it for a a few weeks and eat a salami and provolone on a loaf of italian bread, you will gain 6 LBS of the 8-10 you lost.
The key is keeping under 20 Grams of Carbs for 2 weeks and then increasing it by only 5-10 Grams for another few weeks.
I am not too much of a beer guy but the Micholobe (sp?) Ultras are really good and only a few grams.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »

Thanks exactorman and beobob, you both reiterated what I've been reading and investigating.   I'm in week two of the rest of my life.   I fully intend to make this a lifestyle change.

My goal is that when I die, none of he pallbearer s will have a heart attack lifting me.   I weighed 195 a month ago and 190 just before starting Atkins.   I weighed 180.2 this morning and I have no doubt that I will shed another pound or two by tomorrow.    I may adjust my original target of 170 lbs down to 165 based upon how easy it is to lose fat eating fat.   
Great job thumbs up thumbs up
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »

“Cloquet hated reality but realized it was still the only place to get a good steak.”

Quote Woody Allen

faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »

Anything with alcohol effectively has carbs--the body quickly converts the alcohol into carbs. (Alcohol's chemical structure is very similar to carbs.)  So the vodka's really no better than the wine.

Also, any diet that restricts us from eating most foods will result in weight loss at least for awhile.  But it generally doesn't last, and it's not very healthy.  Long-term, there's no substitute for exercising and eating your fruits and veggies.  Boring but true.  However, there does seem to be some science behind restricting carbs, and particularly the "white" carbs that are so easily stored as body fat (potatos, white flower, white rice).  So stay away from the bread basket.

Sorry to rain on your parade (a little bit) but congrats on your success to date.
APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »

Somehow I don't remember you as fat.  How can you be a racetrack character and be thin?  I guess you can be known as Mick the Stick.
Wink Martingale

"They gave me a hat. I have the hat to this day."

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »

I am posting this link to a Woody Allen classic on the t-bred side as it is possible that some posters on this side of the board actually know who Martin Buber is, though the piece is funny regardless:

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2003/08/8142011-woody-allen-tonight-part-1-of.html

Anyone who has not heard "The Nightclub Years" is missing out.

http://www.amazon.com/Woody-Allen-Nightclub-Years-1964-1968/dp/B000003PX2

And, yes, I agree... he has become less funny as the years go by.  I have seen him several times in NY, generally on Fifth Avenue, and once in court, and he is a very sad-looking little man, though this is not unusual among comics.

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »

Anything with alcohol effectively has carbs--the body quickly converts the alcohol into carbs. (Alcohol's chemical structure is very similar to carbs.)  So the vodka's really no better than the wine.

Also, any diet that restricts us from eating most foods will result in weight loss at least for awhile.  But it generally doesn't last, and it's not very healthy.  Long-term, there's no substitute for exercising and eating your fruits and veggies.  Boring but true.  However, there does seem to be some science behind restricting carbs, and particularly the "white" carbs that are so easily stored as body fat (potatos, white flower, white rice).  So stay away from the bread basket.

Sorry to rain on your parade (a little bit) but congrats on your success to date.
You're not raining on my parade, in fact I checked my numbers today.   I charted pounds versus carbs and saw a trend.   The first two days I lost 2 lbs a day, then two days of one pound losses, in the past five days I lost two pounds total.   I didn't drink Vodka, the first four days.   I only started drinking when I read that Vodka contained zero carbs.

I also realized that my carb count went up a little each of the last three days.  So one of those two things may be retarding my weight loss.  Another change I made was adding Metamucil four days ago.  I doubt that was the cause but who knows?

I am restricting alcohol and reducing the fiber carbs to see if go back to a more aggressive weight loss.

pamwaggy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »

Mick, my doctor swears by that diet.  Good for you!

I tried it once when I had gained 10 more pounds than I should weigh.  I could not stay on it.  I loved the bacon, but I was dying for toast.  Every morning. I dreamed of toast. 

I hope  you can do it.  So far so good!
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 08:15:29 PM »

Somehow I don't remember you as fat.  How can you be a racetrack character and be thin?  I guess you can be known as Mick the Stick.
Thanks Dan, I appreciate your comments and that Moniker.  Mick the stick has a ring to it.   

Truth is truth and when I weighed in at 195, I was surprised.  I have a long way to go from thick to stick but the weight gain was all in one area and at 60 years old, I could have decided to give up and let myself go, but I decided to take charge of my health (daibetes numbers were up) and diet instead of taking medications.  Them meds can have side effects or interact with other drugs and I avoid them at all costs.

Mick

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:19:45 PM »

Mick, my doctor swears by that diet.  Good for you!

I tried it once when I had gained 10 more pounds than I should weigh.  I could not stay on it.  I loved the bacon, but I was dying for toast.  Every morning. I dreamed of toast. 

I hope  you can do it.  So far so good!
Thanks Pam

A very intelligent (scientist) friend of mine has gotten into real good shape.  We worked together years ago but he went into his AD gig and I back into Engineering, thus I didn't know about his weight loss until half way through the first week.  He had already done a lot of the legwork that I was half way through doing.   He gave me a few recipes and some advice about sources of fiber in veggies that came in handy.   I will repay him with some sashimi and hope he likes it.

clockerbob

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »

Oliver stone's Santa Anita's scene in the movie Nixon is what you want to see
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »

However, there does seem to be some science behind restricting carbs, and particularly the "white" carbs that are so easily stored as body fat (potatos, white flower, white rice).  So stay away from the bread basket.

This is my plan, no rice, no bread or potatoes, for now.  I don't know if the brown rice or the Vodka slowed my progress, but I broke the 180 barrier and was 178 this morning so I am seeing progress once again.   

I saw Janine in the paddock area today, she is looking great as always and I felt comfortable in my shoes once again.

Wink Martingale

"They gave me a hat. I have the hat to this day."

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »

Was she dappled out and bouncing on her toes?  Wink

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
our favorite omen

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »

Wink, one of the funnier lines ever written on BTW!
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »

The diet is a temporary fix, if you weigh 190, that sounds pretty healthy, unless your only 5 ft. tall.  IMO the best diet is weight watchers, or some variety of it.  Do you honestly believe your going to go years without eating carbs?  I did my own diet years ago and went from 240 to 175.  Im now back at 195, but I'm comfortable at that weight.  In all honesty, at 175 I felt way to weak, I struggled doing manual labor, my legs were way to weak.  All I did was only allow myself 2000 calories a day, and 3500 on Sunday.  I work pretty hard outside, so I burn a lot of calories.  I felt like I was starving for the first couple of weeks, but then it was easy.  I learned to eat slowly, eat healthier, and not waste calories on liquids.  I slept better, felt better, high blood pressure went away.  Next goal, QUIT SMOKING!  Good luck to you Mick.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »

Woody was a favorite of mine -- until he married his daughter.  screwy
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »

The diet is a temporary fix, if you weigh 190, that sounds pretty healthy, unless your only 5 ft. tall.  IMO the best diet is weight watchers, or some variety of it.  Do you honestly believe your going to go years without eating carbs?   I work pretty hard outside, so I burn a lot of calories.  I felt like I was starving for the first couple of weeks, but then it was easy.  I learned to eat slowly, eat healthier, and not waste calories on liquids.  Next goal, QUIT SMOKING!  Good luck to you Mick.
Whatever works for you is fine, so far this is working for me.   I'm not losing muscle, just losing this belly fat, thus far.  I am not lethargic, in fact I feel more energized than I have in years.   My triglyceride and cholesterol numbers came in yesterday and the Doctor said there was dramatic improvement in one month.  I am still waiting for my A1C numbers but I have hope that they have improved as well. 

The weight loss is back on track, albeit a slower track than at the beginning.  I am down to 175 as of this morning thus it took two weeks to lose the last 6 pounds where the first 8 pounds came of the first week.   

I hear what you are saying about long term sustainability and I think I can achieve that.   Yesterday I had bacon and eggs for breakfast, yoghurt and blueberries for lunch and a large dinner of duck confit, with duck sausages on the side, green beans and carrots accompanied by a glass of sauvignon blanc.   I treated my sister to a nice meal and we split a creme brulee for dessert.   I know it's a great sacrifice but I am willing to make it.   

p.s. - after that large dinner, I checked the scale this morning and saw that I lost two pounds yesterday.   

Mick

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 06:03:04 AM »

I finished my sixth week of this diet thing and dag nub it, I reached my goal weight of 170 lbs (for a 25 pound loss from my last Doctor's visit).    Next month I see my Doctor for my annual check up and want to see if my Diabetes numbers have improved or not.   The triglyceride numbers were great as of three weeks ago but the Diabetes numbers concern me.

To all that are interested, the diet is what I call easy in that I am eating some of the most delicious foods imaginable.  I have steered clear of breads, pizza, rice and potatoes altogether.   Plus I read and eliminate foods whose labels show high carb numbers.   That said, now that I have reached my goal weght, I am increasing my exercize routine, adding more food into my diet and now I will add more carbs in as well.   

I can imagine treating myself once a week to a pizza, or eating the delicious breads at my favorite restaurant one day and then restricting carbs for a week to maintain weight.   That is a treat to me and one I am pretty sure will work within a maintenance plan.   

-Mick - the stick

APCD Dan

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 12:03:47 PM »

Nice work, Mick.  Keep up the good habits.
Grinder

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »

Congrats Mick, and keep up the good work. Your health is everything.  Ask your doctor if your diabetes numbers tend to fall in line a few weeks AFTER the weight loss.  That is what I've heard.    May want to start (or increase slowly) some kind of regular cardio work into your weekly schedule. SLOW at first of course!   That helped me lower my blood pressure, and heard it was also a good move for most borderline diabetics.

The more you bet...the more you win
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »

I lost 75 lbs on atkins in about 8 months....Never had a problem when I did go back to eating carbs that the weight flew back on.....I will say this your body learns that diet....And after a couple runs with it.....The third time you wont lose nearly as much weight.....But as the Great Doug Heffernan said on the King of Queens......Holy Crap if I knew there was an all bacon diet I would have been skinny years ago

SHOWTIME!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: