Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 30, 2014, 11:12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preakness  (Read 3010 times)
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2013, 07:16:25 PM »

Hey mick, fill me up, my glass half empty
Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »

I wonder if the jocks, knowing that track was very very slow, rode a cautious race because of it.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

I wonder if the jocks, knowing that track was very very slow, rode a cautious race because of it.
As I read the results, the track started fast in the first race and it was still fast for the Preakness.   I'm not saying tracks can't be slow but either that is a result of inclement weather or an inherent bias in the track surface that makes running faster more difficult.  Just because a track runs slower doesn't mean there is a bias against speed.

Zee Bros and Bobcay Jim ran one -two from the start until the end of their race.  Redwood kitten, Skyring and Pianist won on the lead.  Summer Applause won running second early to a long shot speed horse.    Why would a jockey or trainer be afraid to go for the lead?   I think it was a result of the Kentucky Derby results.   No one wanted to see their horse run up the track a second time and Stevens and Johnny Velazquez were smart enough to figure that out.

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »

some of those winners you listed were turf races
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:21 PM »

I know the Preakness was run hours later after the 2nd race was run, but here are the fractions for a field of slow ( except for the chalk) Maryland bred starter 7500 and the Preakness.

2nd race

Preakness

Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »

Huh?  The horse totally failed to fire.  What was the jock supposed to do--hop off and carry him?

Jock panicked when he was locked on the rail early in the race -- came out strong then ran into a wall.  Checked back, then had no room when it was time to go.  Started gaining when it was too far to come, but ran in to another block anyway.   Was moving the best at the wire.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:16:55 PM by Psycho Dad » Report to moderator   Logged
HorseVoice*

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »

What's your source on that? The Baltimore Sun sure reports different.

1. You could still ship in the morning of the Preakness, if you wanted. Of course, it was right to the detention barn once papers were checked and the horse was properly identified, etc.

The 72-hour rule was for any horse already on the grounds, but IMO, was pretty easily thwarted based on the above. In other words, bullshit.

2. Per the folks at Thoro-Graph, the Maryland Jockey Club declined to use the so-called "supertesting" protocol used at the last couple of BC's, and this year's Kentucky Derby.

If anybody else is puzzled by these deviations thumbs down from what ought to be SOP on the biggest racing days of the year*, I'm right there with you.

* I know, I know: every race, every day, everywhere. Two more comments: 1) Walk, then run. 2) Who is paying for it? You know damn well they will just increase takeout to pay for it...35% scrape, anyone?  thumbs down thumbs down thumbs down
Mick

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:45 PM »

some of those winners you listed were turf races
Right you are i screwed up and forgot to check dirt/turf. Still I wouldn't say that there was a severe bias against front runners that scared off the trainers as much as it was the Derby finish. No one wants to make the same mistake twice and seasoned jocks understand that.  They take a risk and it pays off some of the time, when they win  they are heroes, when they lose, they are over the hill.

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.  Sam "The Genius" Lewin
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »

1. You could still ship in the morning of the Preakness, if you wanted. Of course, it was right to the detention barn once papers were checked and the horse was properly identified, etc.

The 72-hour rule was for any horse already on the grounds, but IMO, was pretty easily thwarted based on the above. In other words, bullshit.

No Preakness contender shipped in on race day. Moot point.

2. Per the folks at Thoro-Graph, the Maryland Jockey Club declined to use the so-called "supertesting" protocol used at the last couple of BC's, and this year's Kentucky Derby.

Offset by the additional pre-race testing and surveillance done in the barns?

If anybody else is puzzled by these deviations thumbs down from what ought to be SOP on the biggest racing days of the year*, I'm right there with you.

It seems they have their own OP, as outlined in the Sun articles. I'm all for heightened security and testing pre-race, myself, instead of relying solely on the post-race supertest which, to my knowledge, hasn't turned up anything anywhere so far.

Interestingly enough, three horses were given "adjunct bleeder" treatments before the Preakness, which isn't allowed in most other places. They all stunk.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/78324/still-no-uniform-medication-in-triple-crown

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
faster horses

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »

Racing needs a single national governing body.  Not only would that allow for tighter and more uniform medication regulation, it would improve marketing, allocation of racing dates, policies for for OTB and ADW, and pretty much everything else about the sport.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:14 AM »

Racing needs a single national governing body.  Not only would that allow for tighter and more uniform medication regulation, it would improve marketing, allocation of racing dates, policies for for OTB and ADW, and pretty much everything else about the sport.

All true.  A Commissioner's Office is definitely needed.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: