Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 26, 2014, 05:04:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EQUINE HERPES~~~VERNON DOWNS SHUT DOWN!!!  (Read 1380 times)
Manegirl

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »

Place is locked down....races canceled....anyone hearing anything else?
Report to moderator   Logged
Manegirl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00:44 PM »

This just out

Vernon Downs shut down with confirmed case of equine herpes
Saturday, May 04, 2013 - by Dustin Ross, Regional Racing Operations Manager, Vernon Downs

Vernon, NY --- After a confirmed case of equine herpes at Vernon Downs, management and the New York Gaming Commission have made the decision to cancel racing Saturday night (May 4) in the best interest of the harness racing community.

No horses will be allowed to ship into or out of Vernon Downs until further notice, and trainers attempting to will be dealt with accordingly.

Horsemen and women at Vernon Downs should use hygienic precautions when working from horse to horse, while trainers should keep an eye on their horses and continually take their temperature.

Management and the New York Gaming Commission will continue to gather more information on the situation and more information will be made available as soon as possible.
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »

Too bad !!
sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/5-4-13/vernon-shut-down-equine-herpes-case.html

may the horse be with you
sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »

didn't mean to double post other post wasn't up when posted

may the horse be with you
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »

Was watching the derby with junior and thunder and Russ they told me I couldn't believe it.
 Was told a bunch have it .

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Manegirl

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 05:30:41 PM »

Was watching the derby with junior and thunder and Russ they told me I couldn't believe it.
 Was told a bunch have it .

Im afraid this is going to be tougher than the strangles outbreak and quarantine awhile back at saratoga. This is viral and tougher to clean up. But on that note...there is a vaccine. So hope all the healthy horses get some.  horse shoe  God bless the horses
MR.DALRAE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »

HEARD A CLARKE HORSE WAS PUT DOWN TODAY,,,NOT COMFIRMED
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 03:21:56 AM »

Im afraid this is going to be tougher than the strangles outbreak and quarantine awhile back at saratoga. This is viral and tougher to clean up. But on that note...there is a vaccine. So hope all the healthy horses get some.  horse shoe  God bless the horses
Heart breaking!

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
MR.DALRAE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 05:31:28 AM »

HORSES WILL BE QUARINTEENED FOR 3 WEEKS
Robat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »

My man at the track says, "one put down at Cornell, one other sick"...
Time will tell. Place is on lock down.
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »

They made the announcement after they let everyone ship in for yesterdays races that they already knew were going to be canceled.....very nice of them now those horses are stuck there for 21 days what a nightmare they created.....apparently it was a horse that shipped in from Florida with a group that was the first to be diagnosed

SHOWTIME!!!
trottingstud

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 01:08:15 PM »

Vernon Downs' stable area remains under quarantine as a safety precaution after a case of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV-1) was diagnosed on Saturday. The virus is currently contained to one barn on the Vernon backstretch. That barn is under constant secured quarantine.
   After consultation with the NY Agriculture Board's Director, Dr. David Smith, the following practices are suggested for horses in the area and those transported from track to track; monitor the body temperature several times each day and perform regular examinations for nasal discharge or coughing. A temperature of 101.5 and above or noticeable discharge requires immediate veterinary attention.
  While EHV-1 is not transmittable to humans, it may be spread from horse to horse by common contact. It is also spread through respiratory secretions and via contaminated feed buckets, food, grooming tools and other equine equipment. Take measures to maintain high standards and hygienic methods when performing stable tasks.
  Information on EHV-1 is available by following this link:
http://www.thehorse.com/articles/31476/progress-report-on-equine-herpesvirus-ehv-1
  At this time, the intention is to race Thursday's card at Vernon using only those horses stabled at the track. No ship-ins will be granted entry to the barn area and will be scratched from the races without penalty.
  The length of the quarantine is undetermined at this time. The situation will continue to be monitored by both track and state officials and any updates will be made known in a timely fashion.
 ----------------------------------------------------------
  Precautions at other tracks:
  The following precautions address only those horses that have raced at Vernon Downs from April 19 through May 3. They are in place for the protection of the entire harness racing community.
  If you have a horse that has raced at Vernon during that period, contact the Tioga Downs or Meadowlands Race Office to discuss what stipulations need to be met for the entry to be accepted at those tracks. Upon arrival at the track, the shipper must produce an official health certificate current within 72 hours and each horse will be subject to an examination by a track veterinarian.
JOHN W

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 03:03:45 AM »

I see Vernon is racing. What happened to the shut down? I am glad to see the races are going on but it did not sound like they would go for a while.
Manegirl

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 06:06:36 AM »

I see Vernon is racing. What happened to the shut down? I am glad to see the races are going on but it did not sound like they would go for a while.

They are still closed to any shipping in and out. If you are there, and have vet clear you can race. Some barns are still quarantined but most horses are OK.
Robat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 07:03:15 AM »

Was told if you raced or qualified in a race with any of the now quarantined horses, that horse can`t race for 14 days.. Jog and train ?? yes.. just can`t race.. Stables supplied with clipboard and forms for recording the temps of horses..  Then the state checks the sheets...
Must be the race office was not informed or missed as some horses scratched last night..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: