Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 11:46:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who's doing the Hawthorne contest Sunday?  (Read 2740 times)
CLOCKERTERRY

« on: November 18, 2005, 01:58:51 AM »

Just curious.

John Frank tell you what. You come down and compete with us lowlifes, and I will pay half of your $20 entry fee. And buy you 2 beers. You keep (or use, or sell) the concession and admission coupons.

This works out to a $10 + $7 + $10 +$2 = $29 value for you (plus a copy of Thoroughbred Times), all for your investment of gas + $2 admission + $10 for the contest. That's like a 2/1 winner on a $10 bet, almost. Except this is a sure thing. And no surcharges on the many winning bets you would make outside the contest, unlike Trackside.

Would I do it for anyone else? No I would not. What say you?
Report to moderator   Logged
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 05:44:44 PM »

I'm iffy on making it Sunday.  My heart says yes. My workload, burned out brain and thin wallet are suggesting otherwise. 
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 09:23:38 PM »

I will be there on Sunday after all.  Promised a friend before, and this weekend is still a 'go'. 
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 08:26:07 PM »

This is very disturbing.

John Frank was on this forum tonight obviously rooting around through older posts, was directed while online to look at this subject regarding his nearly full paid entry into the Haw contest Sunday, and still DID NOT TAKE THE CHALLENGE!

Oh my.
laurajean

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 06:37:52 PM »

couldn't make it today to Hawthorne, so how did the contest go?
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 07:10:05 PM »

couldn't make it today to Hawthorne, so how did the contest go?

It was a pretty good contest. Lots of lead changes every race.

I stunk worse than usual. Suntan Tommy finished 19th. A friend of Dick's finished 2nd. I really didn't know any of the top names.

No John Frank. Everyone was looking for him, too.  Shocked
mark_maegdlin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 07:54:07 PM »

Hi all,

I decided to stay home and do a practice hawthorn contest at home.  I have never entered a contest and I felt I needed to try one at home for practice.  Well I did better than I thought.

1st race) $1200, loss 1st race and now had $1080.

3rd race) On the third race I bet $100 across the board and won.  Balance now $2020

5th race)  I bet $200 across the board and loss. Balance now $1420

6th  race) I beet $200 across the board and won.  Balance now $3540.  I looked at the standings on the live video feed and it showed that I had a larger balance than anyone.

7th race) I bet $200 across the board and lost.  Balance is now $2940.

9th race) I bet exactly 50%  ($490 X3 =$1470) I bet on case closed and that horse must have gotten hurt because he stopped racing in the stretch!

Final total=$1470
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 08:03:54 PM »

Mark you would have won a prize for sure. Maybe in top 10. There wasn't all that many people who finished the day above the starting $1,200 point. One guy who I know only as a name from another Internet forum was sitting in 11th place going into the last race, with exactly $1200!
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 10:55:32 PM »

I did get to Hawthorne today, but too late to get into the contest.  Did get my entry in for the Buy-In contest  Change this year, limit of 2 entries.  Heard several other NTRA qualifiers were added at other venues, so there may not be as many 'shippers' as usual.  Still a few open spots here when I left tonight, but the 'late comers' still might fill all 200 paid entries by the start of the contest Saturday (Note, there may be as many as 40 free entries as prizes from various weekly contests the last several months).  While you'd probably have to wait until Wednesday to sign up if you haven't done so already, as Peter might say "Better Hurry."
Thomas Graham

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 11:13:53 PM »

Steve,

Says on the hawthorne site that entries are closed.  If the 200 paid entry limit haven't been met, why wouldn't they take "late" entries or even "walk-up" entries.  I would like to enter if possible, I just don't know yet that I can go both days.  I would certainly understand if the contest were full that I can't enter day-of, but if there are openings, why would they not want an additional entry.  Hell, I was able to enter the "Mud bug" contest day of (wish I hadn't, couldn't buy a winner that day).

Anyway, from your posts here, I am guessing you are a friend of McManus.  can you find out for sure, if a) the contest is closed, and b) if there haven't hit the limit, would i be able to sign-up on wednesday?

thanks,
TJG
Horse Voice

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 12:20:42 AM »

I've always wondered about the entries being closed a week early. Might have something to do with the fact that Chicago weather can be extremely crappy this time of year, and if the weather was too nasty many would just blow off the contest. Just an opinion.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »

Thanks Tom and Horse Voice, I hadn't noticed the deadline date for the entries and forgot they did have that 'date' in the past.  I know last year there were some people on a waiting list, and when there were cancellations, they were able to accomodate some folks. 

I'll send him a message and get a confirmation from him.
CLOCKERTERRY

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 04:58:50 PM »

I've always wondered about the entries being closed a week early. Might have something to do with the fact that Chicago weather can be extremely crappy this time of year, and if the weather was too nasty many would just blow off the contest. Just an opinion.

I thought maybe it is because Scott needed the Wednesday to get everything set up?

They were pretty adamant yesterday that Sunday was the last day to sign up.
Stat Man Steve
Elevator Commedian

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 05:47:32 PM »

Yes, Sunday was the last day.  If you have any hope at all, better be there with money in hand right away on Wednesday before they start setting it all up. 

I know they do need to their set up work, order food (they usually have a sandwich, snack, soda and desert bar both days) plus many other things to do.  They'll lose Thursday to Thanksgiving, and Friday the place with all the special promotions.  Reserved seating areas, mark up the standings boards, make plans for the scorekeepers, etc.

I know they filled nearly all of it, but the late added, competiting tournaments likely drew enough to keep it from being totally filled in advance. 

Should be a great time!
Thomas Graham

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 06:03:26 PM »

That's the problem with a "manually" scored tourney --- need to set up the boards, etc.  An electronically scored tourney, they could punch my name right into the system when I sign up and voila!  On the other hand, I know it's easier to know where you stand in the HAW tourney as opposed to any of the electronic tourneys I've been in (because they usaully only update the scores after the mandatory races).

We'll I guess I'm S.O.L for another year.  With family in town for the Holiday, it's hard for me to know that I'm gonna be able to spend two days at the track (that's whay I wish it weren't THIS weekend).

I guess I'll drive to Ky. next weekend for the TP or KEE tourneys.

Happy Turkey Day and good luck to all in the tourney.

TJG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: