Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 04:17:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW YORK METS!!!!!!  (Read 21006 times)
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #900 on: August 26, 2013, 02:39:12 PM »

Like the headline says.

ut oh

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/26/uh-oh-matt-harvey-had-an-mri-exam-today/
Report to moderator   Logged
3 wide and wingin

« Reply #901 on: August 26, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »

Looks like Tommy John surgery.

Not going to get into it with Mets fans.

Don't like seeing anyone hurt.

Just wanted to let everyone know.
Yonkers1

Ignore
« Reply #902 on: August 26, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »

what next, this is awful
Foiled Again and Again

« Reply #903 on: August 26, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »

Looks like Tommy John surgery.

Not going to get into it with Mets fans.

Don't like seeing anyone hurt.

Just wanted to let everyone know.
I'm a Bills fan but you knew that... From the first preseason game I wanted to see Jeff Tuel jump over Kevin Kolb on the depth chart but NOT that way.  You just don't want to see a guy's career end on a flukey hit like that.  When Ryan Howard hit that ball and went in a heap, As a Mets fan it was awkward watching the Phils lose that way, watching the pain that guy was in just wasn't comfortable.  Rivalries are fun, but not fun enough or important enough to wish a guy to get hurt
handsomeharry76

Ignore
« Reply #904 on: August 26, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »

Mets pitcher Matt Harvey headed to DL with partially torn UCL
MLB
By Scooby Axson
New York Mets pitcher Matt Harvey reportedly had an MRI at a New York hospital. (Steve Mitchell/Getty Images)

New York Mets pitcher Matt Harvey has a partially torn UCL in his pitching elbow. (Steve Mitchell/Getty Images)

The New York Mets placed pitcher Matt Harvey on the disabled list Monday after an MRI revealed a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, the team announced.

Harvey will be prescribed rest for now and treatment plans will be determined later.

Harvey had already thrown 178 1/3 innings this season and gave up two runs on a career-high 13 hits over 6 2/3 innings in his last start, a loss to the Detroit Tigers on Saturday. He said he felt tired after the game and reported having right forearm pain.

”It’s not good news, obviously … Over the next 2 or 3 weeks … the ultimate treatment will be determined,” Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said. “This is not a career-ending injury under any stretch of the imagination. We’re fortunate we have a lot of pitching depth in our organization.”

That treatment could mean Tommy John surgery, which would end Harvey’s 2014 season.

Harvey, 24, was the National League’s starting pitcher for All-Star Game at Citi Field in July and is 9-5 with a 2.27 ERA and 191 strikeouts, his first full season with the team.

Foiled Again and Again

« Reply #905 on: August 26, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »

My tweet to racing writer, God of Saratoga public handicappers and Met fan Nick Kling

@docfonda I have a dream that some day the black cloud will finally pass the Mets.. #OhshitnotHarvey

the hashtag says it all
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #906 on: August 26, 2013, 05:02:34 PM »

I was driving home from PA and windbag Mike Francesca broke the Harvey story ( or so he says) bang head bang head
What horrible news. Mets never catch a break. Please let this not be another generation K.
I need someone to tell me anything positive. Possibly he comes back better and stronger, as some do with Tommy John? Or, this move prevents them from dealing any young pitching this offseason? Now they MUST go the free agent route. As I said numerous times, you can never have enough pitching.
sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #907 on: August 26, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »

what a blow!!!! damn!!!  he was not himself the last two games especially the last. he will have the surgery that is the best move today pitchers comeback as strong as before and some even better  as I said all yr next yr is not the yr for the mets  it is 2 yrs from now where they will contend he will not pitch next yr  the only good news is alderson can't trade the any of the young arms now

may the horse be with you
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #908 on: August 26, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »

what a blow!!!! damn!!!  he was not himself the last two games especially the last. he will have the surgery that is the best move today pitchers comeback as strong as before and some even better  as I said all yr next yr is not the yr for the mets  it is 2 yrs from now where they will contend he will not pitch next yr  the only good news is alderson can't trade the any of the young arms now
Sam, you obviously were typing when I just posted. I knew if you posted it would make me feel better. You said the same thing thumbs up thumbs up
handsomeharry76

Ignore
« Reply #909 on: August 26, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »

tough to say if a pitcher will ever be the same after TJ surgery
sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #910 on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:59 AM »

dekker we will see if dekker is improved when the callus are made in sept  he can play defense we know that but lagares looks to be solid in center for next yr  they will get a free agent outfielder or trade for one leaving one spot open as byrd will not be here next yr he will get more money from another team.  young has played okay so left field appears up for grabs

MMN Player of the Week: Matt den Dekker

By David Conde

August 26, 2013 No comments   

matt-den-dekker-2

Congratulations to Las Vegas 51’s center fielder Matt den Dekker for being awarded with the MMN Player of the Week honors. Matt started off the week on August 19th with a bang, going 3-for-4 with three runs scored, two home runs, two RBIs and a walk. He continued his hot hitting throughout the week which helped the 51’s to record 7 straight wins.

Matt was signed by the Mets in the 5th round of the 2010 Amateur Draft out of the University of Florida. In 2010, he played with the Gulf Coast Mets for five games and batted .278, and then was moved up to the Savannah Sand Gnats where he batted .346 in 27 games.

In 2011, den Dekker split time between St Lucie and Binghamton; in 139 games, he batted .265, 103 runs, 32 doubles, 11 triples, 17 home runs, and 68 runs batted in. In 2012, Matt started out at Binghamton where he batted .274 in 58 games and then was moved up to the previous Triple-A Mets farm team, the Buffalo Bisons. In Buffalo, Matt batted .220 in 77 games but continued with his power surge.  For a second straight season, Matt hit 17 home runs and knocked in at least 68 runs batted in. He also showed some speed by swiping at least 20 bases in the two seasons.

After coming off another productive season, 2013 looked to be one that would bring Matt that much closer to reaching the major leagues. But in a Spring Training game with the Mets, he suffered a broken wrist. Even though he would not require surgery, he did have to miss a good chunk of the season. He made his 2013 debut with the St Lucie Mets and after 14 games where he batted .276 with no home runs, he was sent to the new Triple-A affiliate for the organization, the Las Vegas 51’s. In 50 games so far this season with the 51’s, Matt has just been trying to find his groove again. He is batting .297 with six home runs, but this past week, he looks to have found the same swing that propelled him up through the Mets minor league system.

Matt’s strong week has not only been a complement to the 51’s lineup, but it has also brought him closer to being worthy of a promotion to the Big club. He can hit for power, drive in runs and get on base. He is a value to an organization looking for impact players from within. The hope is that he continues to develop as he proves that his healed wrist is not an issue and that a promotion to the Mets in only imminent. This week: .444, 12 for 27, 8 runs, double, 2 home runs, 6 runs batted in, 3 walks.

3 wide and wingin

« Reply #911 on: August 27, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »

Mets trade Byrd and Buck to the Pirates.

Hard to believe that a mere week ago the Mets were up 4 games on the Phillies and I really thought I was going to lose my better record bet with Clifton for the first time since 2006.
sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #912 on: August 27, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »

2012 18 2 Teams 2 Lgs Rk-A- PIT 60 256 227 48 65 12 5 8 29 12 4 19 47 .286 .341 .489 .830 111 3 0 10 0 0

2013 19 West Virginia SALL A PIT 109 479 423 69 112 27 3 11 56 11 6 37 110 .265 .330 .421 .751 178 6 7 6 6 0
2011 17 Pirates VESL FRk PIT 65 260 214 42 66 19 5 2 27 16 8 32 40 .308 .413 .472 .885 101 5 9 1 4 1

3 Seasons    234 995 864 159 243 58 13 21 112 39 18 88 197 .281 .355 .451 .806 390 14 16 17 10 1

no great shakes with this guy he is playing in the lower a ball league has some power with 11 homeruns and has been caught stealing over 50% of the time don't know about his glove. one thing this points out to me is that murphy is not safe next yr  if thy are looking at second basemen murphy could be traded in off season   a huge mistake  he is not having a career yr but is in the top 10 in the league in hits.  if he had some guys hitting around him he would be better I would hate to see him go to another team and hit 3.20 which he is capable of
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:37:38 PM by sam » Report to moderator   Logged

Foiled Again and Again

« Reply #913 on: August 27, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »

Mets trade Byrd and Buck to the Pirates.

Hard to believe that a mere week ago the Mets were up 4 games on the Phillies and I really thought I was going to lose my better record bet with Clifton for the first time since 2006.
Well D'Arnaud's arrival makes Buck expendable.  Best of luck to these two who helped make the first 2 months tolerable
handsomeharry76

Ignore
« Reply #914 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:46 PM »

they shouldn't win many more games this year now:

Marlon Byrd trade provides a huge upgrade for Pirates in right field
John Buck, Marlon Byrd, New York Mets, Pittsburgh Pirates
By Cliff Corcoran
Marlon Byrd vastly improves the Pirates' options in right field.

Marlon Byrd gives the Pittsburgh Pirates a much better hitting option in right field. (Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Among the surprises from this year’s historically muted trading deadline were the Pirates not making a deal to improve their right field situation and the Mets not cashing in on Marlon Byrd’s fluke season. Both situations resolved themselves Tuesday afternoon, however, as the Pirates, who inquired about Byrd on July 31, finally acquired him along with catcher John Buck and cash from the Mets for minor league second baseman Dilson Herrera and a player to be named later, executing the deal just days before newly-acquired players will be ineligible for playoff rosters.

The largest immediate impact here will be Byrd taking over right field in Pittsburgh. The Pirates’ right fielders, led by Jose Tabata and the injured Travis Snyder, have hit just .232/.297/.369 this season. Byrd, who was a non-roster invitee with the Mets this spring after a miserable 2012 season that ended in a steroid suspension, has hit .285/.330/.518 with 21 home runs and 71 RBIs on the season. Since May 29, he has hit .304/.350/.561 with 17 of those homers. That’s a tremendous upgrade for a team that already ranks among the best in baseball and should make the National League Central race all the more compelling down the stretch.

Buck will be used to fill the hole on the bench created by backup catcher Michael McKenry’s season-ending meniscus tear in his left knee, but it’s worth noting that Buck hasn’t hit much since his early-season home run barrage ended. Buck went deep ten times in the Mets’ first 27 games, but has hit just .198/.282/.282 with five more home runs since May 5. It’s not clear that he’ll be an upgrade over rookie Tony Sanchez, who hit .288/.368/.504 in Triple-A this year and has largely replicated Buck’s post-May 5 performance since replacing McKenry at the end of July.

As for Herrera, he’s a legitimate prospect. Just 19 last March, he has hit .265/.330/.421 with 27 doubles and 11 home runs in the Sally League this year. Though he’s small (5-foot-10, 150 pounds) and limited to second base, Herrera has a lot of pop in his bat and significant potential at the plate. He’s not a blue-chipper, to be sure, but he does have potential as a starting major league second baseman, possibly even an All-Star. He’s a long way from both the majors and the player he will eventually be, but SB Nation’s John Sickels ranked him as the Pirates’ ninth-best prospect coming into the season, and he’s a nice get for the Mets for two players who will be free agents after the season, one of whom was a non-roster invitee in March.

Herrera is a good prospect, and there’s another player heading to New York in this deal, but that’s a price the Pirates can afford to pay as their pursuit of their first winning season and first playoff berth from 1992 represents a monumental opportunity for the franchise. They seemed well on their way to both accomplishments before this trade, but the addition of Byrd should give them momentum in the Central Division a day after they slipped into second place, a half-game behind the Cardinals, increasing their chances of reaching and succeeding in the Division Series.
sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #915 on: August 27, 2013, 04:59:31 PM »

this guy writing must be from pittsburg  he is in the sally league which is the lower a league and hitting 2.65   will he ever hit higher than murph    I say no and it says he is limited at second base as murph is . so how would that be an upgrade in the future if this guy ever gets thru higher a ball,  2 a ball, and 3a ball.  but it looks like alderson is sending a message that he will move murph in the offseason and flores will be at 2nd next yr   huge mistake

Foiled Again and Again

« Reply #916 on: August 27, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »

hard to comment... still dejected over Harvey... Truth is Beck sucks, d'Arnaud is up for good now, Byrd was a total fluke, a great suprise.  Even if they sign him there's no guarantee he'll even hit .265 next year.  This is NOT the horrible move you make it out to be as they could have both walked.  Neither are accomplished starters.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #917 on: August 27, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »

hard to comment... still dejected over Harvey... Truth is Beck sucks, d'Arnaud is up for good now, Byrd was a total fluke, a great suprise.  Even if they sign him there's no guarantee he'll even hit .265 next year.  This is NOT the horrible move you make it out to be as they could have both walked.  Neither are accomplished starters.
I agree, it's over this year. Buck and Byrd we not coming back next year and Mets have to upgrade anyway. This is what they needed to do when Reyes was a free agent. They needed to build and kept him for nothing. They can't lose with this deal today, even if this guy isn't a player.
Yep

Ignore
« Reply #918 on: August 27, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »

this guy writing must be from pittsburg  he is in the sally league which is the lower a league and hitting 2.65   will he ever hit higher than murph    I say no and it says he is limited at second base as murph is . so how would that be an upgrade in the future if this guy ever gets thru higher a ball,  2 a ball, and 3a ball.  but it looks like alderson is sending a message that he will move murph in the offseason and flores will be at 2nd next yr   huge mistake

Dilson Herrera, a 19-year-old right-handed hitter from Cartagena, Colombia, is in his second season in the United States. He hit .286 with eight homers and 29 RBIs in 60 games for Class A Short-Season State College and the GCL Pirates last summer, leading the GCL in runs, extra-base hits and total bases. In his first full season with the Power this year, he's batted .265/.330/.421 with 11 homers and 56 RBIs in 109 games.

A 2013 All-Star Futures Game selection, Herrera got a chance to play in his new organization's home park in July. He lined out to second in his only at-bat in the World team's 4-2 loss at Citi Field.

The kid is only 19 Sam
Foiled Again and Again

« Reply #919 on: August 27, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »

Dilson Herrera, a 19-year-old right-handed hitter from Cartagena, Colombia, is in his second season in the United States. He hit .286 with eight homers and 29 RBIs in 60 games for Class A Short-Season State College and the GCL Pirates last summer, leading the GCL in runs, extra-base hits and total bases. In his first full season with the Power this year, he's batted .265/.330/.421 with 11 homers and 56 RBIs in 109 games.

A 2013 All-Star Futures Game selection, Herrera got a chance to play in his new organization's home park in July. He lined out to second in his only at-bat in the World team's 4-2 loss at Citi Field.

The kid is only 19 Sam
doesn't matter if the kid is 19 or 39, there's NO risk involved here for the Mets... It's a solid trade
sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: August 28, 2013, 01:12:48 PM »

The kid is only 19 Sam

it is a long time to the majors if he ever get there so far no great shakes but since only 19 i guess okay for a risk  there are many questions about his defense . he is several yrs away if he does make it so they better keep murphy and not trade him
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:15:10 PM by sam » Report to moderator   Logged

sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: August 28, 2013, 01:21:19 PM »

is collins a goner ?  in a press coference held with collins and harvey collins stated he did not know of any forarm stiffness before last week alderson knew of it for a month. is this disconncet a preview of collins being fired?

notes: walters got his 37 save for the bmets    brooklyn needs to win division to get in playoffs they are a 1/2 game behind for division lead    in wild card 6and 1/2 back  so they need to win divsion

Mets’ 2014 Rotation Still Looks Solid
 An article by Sagar Parikh     26 Comments

With the Dark Knight down and out, the 2014 New York Mets have another huge hole to add to their list. Pitching is clearly a strength of the team, but it takes a huge hit when the ace could be out for the entire season. So who will be competing for spots in the rotation this coming spring?

Barring any additional injuries, you can pencil Dillon Gee, Jon Niese, and Zack Wheeler into the rotation. The righthanded Gee started off terribly, but has become a consistent pitcher that the Mets can rely on every fifth day. Niese has had a frustrating season, mostly due to a partially torn rotator cuff, but hopefully last night’s shutout is a sign of more things to come from the 26-year old southpaw. Wheeler has had a strong second half and will look to make the jump that Matt Harvey made in his second big league season.

You would have to think that Jenrry Mejia has an inside track to the 4th spot in the rotation, but it of course depends on his health. Mejia has made 5 starts this season to a 2.30 ERA in 27 and 1/3 innings, with 27 K’s and just 4 BB. He is expected to be ready for spring training, so Mejia has a good chance of starting the year in the rotation.

The fifth spot in the rotation is a different story, as it can range from somebody on the big league roster right now (Matt Harvey), to a minor leaguer (Rafael Montero/Jacob deGrom), or to a free agent pitcher. It is likely that the Mets bring in a veteran arm to at least compete for that fifth starting job, but they could also just promote from within as well. Jacob DeGrom is 25 years old and has pitched well enough to at least garner some attention. He also must be added to the 40-man roster, as he is eligible for the Rule 5 Draft this offseason. Montero, on the other hand, is a much more highly touted prospect and has shown the progression of a potential front of the rotation starter; however, Montero does not need to be added to the 40-man roster, which will probably mean he starts the season in AAA and is brought up in May/June of  2014.

At this point, Noah Syndergaard is not an option to start the year with the New York Mets. Despite his rough outing on Monday, Thor is dominating AA. He will likely be a little behind the track that Zack Wheeler was on this season, because unlike Wheeler, Syndergaard has yet to reach AAA.

The last option, is signing a free agent pitcher to compete for a spot. There are a few decent options depending on how much the Mets will spend on the offense. A few options are Barry Zito (36), Mike Pelfrey (30), Phil Hughes (28), or Jason Marquis (35). Hughes is an interesting option, because he could also be an option for the bullpen. Zito is a pitcher the Mets coveted years ago, but has struggled all year. Pelfrey probably won’t want to come back, but he would be back in a familiar place.

In all likelihood, the Mets will probably sign a cheap free agent to at least create some competition with some internal options. Despite Matt Harvey’s tweet last night, it is extremely unlikely that he is ready by April 1st.

sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: August 29, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »

notes den Dekker was promoted and will start in center field for mets today  bothe dekker and lagares have shown outstanding defense but will one of them step up and show a bat to be the cf for the mets next yr? dominic smith, the mets # 1 pick was promtoed today to kingsport fron GCL kust in time for playoffs . remember he is only 18 yrs old , he was hitting 2.87 and has a bright future at first base

i know understand the trademade with brdy and buck to pirates . the player to be named later was vic black a reliever highly regarded in pirates org.  he throws in the upper 90's and has hit 101. the trade for just herrera made no sense since he was said to have no range at second and was hitting 2.49. this guy will join the mets club if he clears waivers . we could get a look at him this yr.

Prospect Profile: Victor Black, The PTBNL
By Connor O'Brien
August 28, 2013 No comments
According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, the Mets and Pirates have agreed on Victor Black as the player to be named late in the trade that sent Marlon Byrd and John Buck to the Pirates. The Mets sent cash to Pittsburgh as well in exchange for Dilson Herrera, who we profiled yesterday, and Black, who will either join the team once he clears waivers tomorrow or after the season if he is claimed by another team.

Black, 25, is a right-handed relief pitcher currently pitching for Triple-A Indianapolis as their closer. Black was originally drafted by the Mets in the 41st round of the 2006 draft, but did not sign. Three years later, the Pirates selected him 49th overall. He got his first taste as a closer last season with Altoona in the Eastern League, where he finished 38 games (including 13 saves), while posting a 1.65 ERA in 60 innings. Even more impressive were his 85 strikeouts (12.8 K/9). This season in 46.2 innings, he has a 2.51 ERA with 63 strikeouts and 17 saves.

Black is a highly-regarded prospect in the Pirates organization, ranked 16th by Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com, 18th by Pirates Prospects, and 15th by John Sickels of Minor League Ball. He has an electric fastball that has been clocked at times over 100 miles per hour and a slider that can touch 90 on the gun.

Two top 15 prospects is quite a haul for one month of Byrd and Buck. Pirates GM Neal Huntington did say the PTBNL wasn’t a no-name prospect, but it’s a bit of a surprise to see a prospect of just about equal value as Herrera to be thrown in the deal as well. Nice work by the Mets front office.

Foiled Again and Again

« Reply #923 on: August 29, 2013, 09:22:34 AM »

Sam. even if they had only gotten the 19 year old, they STILL did a better job with these 2 small pieces than when they had a BIG piece that left 2 years ago.  Patience my friend.

IMO Collins is a goner
sam

have fun win money

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: August 29, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »

WE GOT WHEELER. SYNDERGAARD, D'ARNARD AND NOW THESE TWO  ESPECIALLY THE RELIEVER, BLACK,  GREAT WORK

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: