Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 19, 2014, 01:00:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "New in 2013"  (Read 1676 times)
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »

Yesterday, I asked at the programs counter at the OTB, "if someone asked for a Daily Racing Guide, what would you sell them?" She first asked me, "A Green Sheet?" Then she asked, "Maybe a book, a program?" If someone buys into those memberships at Arlington for attending multiple times, it's not going to be a novice and they will call it a program like everyone else thoughout the country. There is nothing wrong with the word "program". I think calling it a Daily Racing Guide is just another silly Arlington PR tactic. They want to make it sound similar to the Daily Racing Form but can't use that name so they made up a new name similar to it, in my opinion. This is not really a big issue to me but just an example of how silly Arlington is and how they confuse people more than they already are, possibly hoping to sell more of their Daily Racing Guides.

I still think this is something in conjunction with the DRF that's different from a normal Equibase program. It sounds familiar.

Or maybe that was an ancient name that AP resurrected for its programs?
Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2013, 12:50:11 PM »

They have had subsidized purses for 2 years only, while the quality of racing there has been far and away above Arlington's for as long as I can remember, so that's not an issue.

And I might add that So. Cal. runs a year round circuit without subsidies, and every one of those meets exceeds AP in quality.

So that goes back to my original question, who's fault is that? Does the blame solely lie with AP? Is it HAW's fault they have short fields? Do we blame AP but not HAW? I know that it is important on this forum to assign blame, but can we dump this all on Mr D?  Is increased purses all that is necessary to improve the quality of races? That then should mean that Parx is a hotbed of quality racing.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:18:18 PM by beobob » Report to moderator   Logged
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »

I still think this is something in conjunction with the DRF that's different from a normal Equibase program. It sounds familiar.

Or maybe that was an ancient name that AP resurrected for its programs?

Terry, I've always thought that DRF provided the statistics for the programs, at least for the simulcast programs. I've just looked at yesterday's Form and Simulcast Program for Hawthorne. The only difference I saw was the speed figures and that's interesting because they really vary from the program to the Form. So whose speed figures are in the Simulcast Programs?

I know you will be able to buy a separate program for Arlington itself. Maybe it's  all in Equibase's standard format. I just googled Daily Racing Guide and nothing other than Daily Racing Form came up and DRF puts out special publications for special events called Daily Racing Form Guides.

In any event, I know you can purchase DRF PP's through Equibase so who really knows what's what. Here's a sample of Equibase PP's which looks very different from what you will see in the simulcast programs but it could be what you see in Arlington's Daily Racing Guides (I wouldn't know as I never buy them):

http://www.equibase.com/samples/Race%20Program%20Sample/1.PDF

Additional Note: I saw at the bottom of each race in the simulcast programs that it does say Equibase Company. I'm sure this is why there are different speed figures from the Form. It sure looks more like the DRF format than Equibase though.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:18:16 PM by Mary Ann » Report to moderator   Logged
zanzibar

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »

FWIW,I have an AP program from 2006.  At the top it says "Daily Racing Guide".   Another program, from 2012, also has "Daily Racing Guide" at the top.  On the last page of both is a box containing "Copyright @ 20xx by Printing Specialties, Equibase Company LLC, Arlington Park and its associated companies."
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »

FWIW,I have an AP program from 2006.  At the top it says "Daily Racing Guide".   Another program, from 2012, also has "Daily Racing Guide" at the top.  On the last page of both is a box containing "Copyright @ 20xx by Printing Specialties, Equibase Company LLC, Arlington Park and its associated companies."

Thanks, zanzibar, for the research. It appears CDI tracks, or at least Arlington, don't have programs but have Daily Racing Guides with their own deal with Equibase. What I find interesting is they call it a name similar to the Daily Racing Form. On the simulcast programs, it's called "Official Simulcast Program".
honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »

So that goes back to my original question, who's fault is that?

It is the fault of the screwed up racing law in Illinois that attempts to spread all the revenue out evenly and encourages tracks to emphasize something other than their live products and live customers, and this goes back years to the OTBs. It's the result of years and years of bad laws that try always to maintain the status quo of 1974. Let each track keep all the revenue of their own meet and OTBs (as long as the OTB licenses are fairly distributed, that is). If that means Hawthorne suffers, or the harness tracks suffer, or even AP suffers, so be it.

Does the blame solely lie with AP? Is it HAW's fault they have short fields? Do we blame AP but not HAW? I know that it is important on this forum to assign blame, but can we dump this all on Mr D?

Dude. You simply asked if it was possible to have the highest quality of racing in Illinois running 11 mos. per year, and I answered that NYRA (the highest quality) runs 12. No one was blaming Mr. D for anything in that regard. It is possible to have the highest quality of racing running year round. NYRA and the So. Cal. tracks prove it. Kentucky and Florida prove it, too, although their periods of "highest quality" are rather brief.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »

Terry, I've always thought that DRF provided the statistics for the programs, at least for the simulcast programs.

They did, back in the day, but I think the tracks took control of their own data via Equibase back in about 1990?

So whose speed figures are in the Simulcast Programs?

Equibase.

honest & balanced terry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:48 PM »

Thanks for clearing that mystery up, Zanzibar.

Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2013, 01:53:26 PM »

They did, back in the day, but I think the tracks took control of their own data via Equibase back in about 1990?

Equibase.

Most likely Moss speed figures.
joe bunzol

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »

Duh, yeah and someday the sandman will be looking for you and me as well.

Having met the man, I can heartily say that you don't know jack, jack.  Mr. D is dedicated to putting on the best face for racing of anyone I've met.   You sir, are the stuff that resides between his toes.
You may be right--I've met him too--But we're not talking racing--we are talking gouging the public and squeezing every possible penny.

But if he cared so much for racing, why is AP stuck with a terrible off turf racing program, which he could afford to change
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: