Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 22, 2014, 05:27:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst injury overcame to attend track?  (Read 1173 times)
ThePaceMaker

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:06:13 PM »

Got in semi-minor car accident weds, neglected seat belt, left eyelid split in half, unfortunately haven't been to track (or out) past handful of days.. Hoping to get stitches out Tuesday, obv track bound as soon as I get them out (inside eye, super uncomfortable)- has anyone gotten banged up worse and told to rest still made the trip to track anyway? Looking for tales of courage.. Purple Heart for degenerates
Report to moderator   Logged
jdizigg

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:09:15 PM »

Got in semi-minor car accident weds, neglected seat belt, left eyelid split in half, unfortunately haven't been to track (or out) past handful of days.. Hoping to get stitches out Tuesday, obv track bound as soon as I get them out (inside eye, super uncomfortable)- has anyone gotten banged up worse and told to rest still made the trip to track anyway? Looking for tales of courage.. Purple Heart for degenerates

LOL glad to hear your ok pace...  clover
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »

Were you getting a hummer when the accident happen?

I trust no one, not even myself~~
MR.DALRAE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »

was giving one
HarnessFanDE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »

I was going to Rosecroft one night about 20 years ago and this guy went running past me screaming he had to make the double.....He was running across the road there (luckily he had to wait for a car and had slowed down) and landed on a catch basin and the grate gave way and he went about 4 feet down in a drainage hole....He came crawling out pants ripped and elbow bleeding and ran right for the windows.....A Lawyer would have had to get me out

SHOWTIME!!!
APPRENTICE

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 03:51:31 PM »

BACK INJURY AND HEAD  INJURY
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 03:53:24 PM »

The list is long -- from car accidents (took a cab the last 50 miles), to sprained ankles, to the flu, to back strains where I could hardly move.  Only the final face-to-face with the grim reaper will keep me from getting in a bet.

However, that list is my personal misfortunes.  Family events always take priority over wagers.
Cablacinasian

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »

My girlfriend and I were protesting a ban on gay marriage when we were hit with batteries.  We then went to the track and protested betting tickets not being printed on recycled paper.  After losing our bankroll of $4, we went to a nice Vegan establishment, beat on kettle drums and made fun of Christians.   I love being a democrat!!!
Homestretch

Harness Racing is "King" Of All Sports

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

Three close friends in their 90's have been going to the track together for over 50 years !!
Joe stays up in the grandstand to watch the warmups.
Rich and John are near the finish line making the wagers.
After the first race is over, Rich falls to the ground and has a heart attack.
Joe see's this, and comes running down to the finish line.
As he get there, he screams to John "Is he alive, Is he alive" Huh
John is bending over Rich, and yells back "Yeah he's alive, with the 2 and 4" !!!
 Grin Grin Grin Grin
Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 10:19:51 PM »

Three close friends in their 90's have been going to the track together for over 50 years !!
Joe stays up in the grandstand to watch the warmups.
Rich and John are near the finish line making the wagers.
After the first race is over, Rich falls to the ground and has a heart attack.
Joe see's this, and comes running down to the finish line.
As he get there, he screams to John "Is he alive, Is he alive" Huh
John is bending over Rich, and yells back "Yeah he's alive, with the 2 and 4" !!!
 Grin Grin Grin Grin
The punch line is "only in the double."
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »

I fought through the pain of a nasty hangnail once to make it to the track.

Oh wait. Hangover.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »

I fought through the pain of a nasty hangnail once to make it to the track.

Oh wait. Hangover.
Both are horrible and can be cured easily !!!!
No excuse, and no soup for you !!!
 Grin Grin
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 10:41:02 PM »

Holy crap!

Not me but my pops was a  real gambling addict .

One day he and my uncle are on their way to the Pleasanton fair.

Glad your okay Pace!
Car makes a left hand turn in front of them they vesr  off the road at 55 to miss the car .
Up over a ditch my uncle hits his head on the roof of the car bites his cigar into almost swallows the other end of the cigar pops head hits the drivers door window breaks the window. They hit a irrigation pump bends the front fender in so bad it's dragging on the front wheel. The trow truck pulls them out . Tells them the car isn't drive able cause the fender rubbing the wheel .
My uncle and pops get a crow bar and  2x4 bend the fender back out throw throw the chrome in the back seat change the tire head onto the Pleasanton fair to bet some horse named Savage Response.
They made it horse wins.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Homestretch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »

Holy crap!

Glad your okay Pace!
Car makes a left hand turn in front of them they vesr  off the road at 55 to miss the car .
Up over a ditch my uncle hits his head on the roof of the car bites his cigar into almost swallows the other end of the cigar pops head hits the drivers door window breaks the window. They hit a irrigation pump bends the front fender in so bad it's dragging on the front wheel. The trow truck pulls them out . Tells them the car isn't drive able cause the fender rubbing the wheel .
My uncle and pops get a crow bar and  2x4 bend the fender back out throw throw the chrome in the back seat change the tire head onto the Pleasanton fair to bet some horse named Savage Response.
They made it horse wins.
thumbs up thumbs up
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »

Both are horrible and can be cured easily !!!!
No excuse, and no soup for you !!!
 Grin Grin

Really? What's your hangover cure?

I'll tell ya, after a week at Del Mar, or a long weekend at Oaklawn, I'm draggin'.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:48:26 PM by honest & balanced terry » Report to moderator   Logged

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »

Really? What's your hangover cure?

I'll tell ya, after a week at Del Mar, or a long weekend at Oaklawn, I'm draggin'.

Best hangover cure their is ice cold buttermilk !

For  the poster eaten the big nastyAka buzzard kill  robaxin.

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 09:27:11 AM »

My girlfriend and I were protesting a ban on gay marriage when we were hit with batteries.  We then went to the track and protested betting tickets not being printed on recycled paper.  After losing our bankroll of $4, we went to a nice Vegan establishment, beat on kettle drums and made fun of Christians.   I love being a democrat!!!

You are my hero.  heart
ThePaceMaker

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »

was giving one

Lol correct
ThePaceMaker

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »

Holy crap!

Glad your okay Pace!
They made it horse wins.

Thanks fuzz.. That is truly one of the greatest horse racing stories ever told. I never thought the desire to gamble was strong enough to bend steel. Ill be back gambling w/ in a week as of 2moro w/ stitches in eye but compared to your family I feel like a total ***. I swear, after hearing about the cigar/bending steel.. Next time I get in an ambulance regardless if I was going to gamble or not I won't stop yelling "MUST.. GET.. BET IN BEFORE.. THE... 6th RACE...." until they close the door
Wink Martingale

"They gave me a hat. I have the hat to this day."

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

I was once disemboweled, had my spleen ripped out, my ureters transected and my kidneys catapulted onto the Thomas E. Dewey Thruway, but I still made it to Yakima Meadows  to bet eleventy squillion doller'z on the octofecta of  7587984379178575489675162545743643634874387389374753457341573429537.

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
SON OF JOR-EL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »

I was once disemboweled, had my spleen ripped out, my ureters transected and my kidneys catapulted onto the Thomas E. Dewey Thruway, but I still made it to Yakima Meadows  to bet eleventy squillion doller'z on the octofecta of  7587984379178575489675162545743643634874387389374753457341573429537.
101?
salzburg

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »

not an injury-- but this true-- when in the army stationed in Germany- got a month leave. hopped a flight out of rhine main with no travel plans ahead. landed at jfk airport in nyc, took a cab to grand central, train took me to rensaleer ny, caught the bus to satatogo, made it in time for the double.. no lie,, from there I knew I"d find a friend to get me the last 45 miles to home thumbs up
Manegirl

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »

not an injury-- but this true-- when in the army stationed in Germany- got a month leave. hopped a flight out of rhine main with no travel plans ahead. landed at jfk airport in nyc, took a cab to grand central, train took me to rensaleer ny, caught the bus to satatogo, made it in time for the double.. no lie,, from there I knew I"d find a friend to get me the last 45 miles to home thumbs up

Good one.....hope ya hit the double!!!   thumbs up
Miss

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »

Great stories!
Mr_Ed

Stop gabbin and get me Pinochle cards!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »

LOL!!!!
harrylare

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »

Duct tape works wonders
pigland1

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »

I FORGOT MY WALLET .
Manegirl

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06:44 PM »

I FORGOT MY WALLET .

Told ya....thats not working again!!   head shake
pigland1

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »

Told ya....thats not working again!!   head shake
heart
Penny Y

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »

In the past I made it to the track 4 days after undergoing a triple Cardiac Bypass. A while later I returned to the track 3 days after having discs removed and part of my neck fused. Two and a half years ago it did take me months to return to the track after one of our horses fell on me and broke both my knees. During those months I was in rehab and bedridden. Most friends know that if I'm not at the track, I'm in the hospital.

Penny
Miss

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »

I'm surprised they let you out of the hospital that soon, let alone you were well enough to go to the track, twice!
Mr_Ed

Stop gabbin and get me Pinochle cards!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 06:20:32 PM »

Not really an injury, but I had an eye appointment at Gottlieb (?) near Maywood Park mid-80's.

They finished a simple procedure near post-time......but my pupils were still dilated.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I made it safely.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: