Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 24, 2014, 02:14:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANYONE ON HERE ,,OWN A PARROT,,,??/WHO CAN U CALL A BUDDY? ON THIS FORUM,,,A REAL PAL  (Read 889 times)
APPRENTICE

« on: March 14, 2013, 04:55:14 PM »

THINKIN ABOUT BUYIN AN AFRICAN BABY GRAY,,AS A PET ...

ANY PRO'S ,,AND CONS....

ONLY THING I KNOW IS TEMPTURE IN HOUSE CANNOT GO UNDER CERTAIN,,DEGREE

JUST ,,ASKIN ..

THIS TRUTLE,,aka  SIMON...,,JUST AINT CUTTIN  IT ANY MORE
Report to moderator   Logged
APPRENTICE

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »

HEard YOU CLIP HIZ WINGS,,

THEY ARE PRETTY KOOL FOLLOW U EVERY WHERE trophy
jrstark
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »

If you use Teflon pots, get rid of them. They give off a vapor when heated that is poisonous to birds.

You need to spend a lot of time with them, it's like taking care of a baby.
APPRENTICE

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 05:01:47 PM »

If you use Teflon pots, get rid of them. They give off a vapor when heated that is poisonous to birds.

You need to spend a lot of time with them, it's like taking care of a baby.

I KNOW HEARD,,SAM E THING ABOUT ,,SPENDIN TIME WITH THEM

OR THEY WILL DIE,,OF LONELYNESS,,,FACT,,,

SECOND PART,,I NEVER COOKED MY HOUSE ,,YET,,HATE TO CLEAN,,NO PROB,,THERE..

THEY MAKE GREAT HOUSE PETS I HEARD ,,MY PAL RUSS OWNS 1 ,,,THAT BIRD WALKS HIZ LITTLE DOG ON LEASE AROUND DA HOUSE,,,...SEEN IT..WITH MY EYES,,
salzburg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »

b lieve me, they are MESSY, i have had 2 parakeets and a canary. one of my parakeets was special, would ride on my shoulder while i walked around the house. i dont know what the life expendency is for a parrot- check it out- but in the long run, simon is a lot easier to take care off- and will never talk back either.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:40:55 PM »

I KNOW HEARD,,SAM E THING ABOUT ,,SPENDIN TIME WITH THEM

OR THEY WILL DIE,,OF LONELYNESS,,,FACT,,,

SECOND PART,,I NEVER COOKED MY HOUSE ,,YET,,HATE TO CLEAN,,NO PROB,,THERE..

THEY MAKE GREAT HOUSE PETS I HEARD ,,MY PAL RUSS OWNS 1 ,,,THAT BIRD WALKS HIZ LITTLE DOG ON LEASE AROUND DA HOUSE,,,...SEEN IT..WITH MY EYES,,
Friend of mine bought an exotic bird. He was cleaning cage and it flew out window and was never to be seen again.
Just make sure you have someone to take care of it when you come to Meadowlands trophy
burton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »

I own one.
Name is Rocco.
Bird never shuts up.

JUST SAYIN,,,,,
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 05:57:06 PM by burton » Report to moderator   Logged
APPRENTICE

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »

I own one.
Name is Rocco.
Bird never shuts up.

JUST SAYIN,,,,,

YOU AINT FUNNY BURTON

JUST SAYIN head shake
BTRAINER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:41:42 PM »

I own one.
Name is Rocco.
Bird never shuts up.

JUST SAYIN,,,,,

laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy
APPRENTICE

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »

DONT ENCOURAGE BURTON,,OK BTRAINER..

THANKS FOR PLAYIN thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:00:52 PM by LUCPARK » Report to moderator   Logged
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »

Then they will be an ex-parrot.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
harrylare

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »

I had one named Rocco, smelled like garlic and never shut up. Threw him out the window, thankfully he was clipped. DROPPED LIKE A ROCK.

I can dream, can't I?  dunno
APPRENTICE

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »

LOTS OF GUYS ON HERE WITH PARROTS ,,NAMED ,,ROCCO,,,DIDNT KNOW THAT WAS A POPULAR NAME FOR A PARROTT....WDF,,I WILL NAME HIM THAT ALSO....

KOOL...

U GUYS HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL... thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »

I had one named Rocco, smelled like garlic and never shut up. Threw him out the window, thankfully he was clipped. DROPPED LIKE A ROCK.

I can dream, can't I?  dunno

Im cryin

Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »

Btrainer owns a parott

APPRENTICE

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »

Btrainer owns a parott

GOOD ONE,,, laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy nyah nyah nyah nyah

Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 07:43:52 PM »

GOOD ONE,,, laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy nyah nyah nyah nyah

Grin

Sookie

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »

Poor Perot will never get a word in.
Will be a one line Perot.

Put him in the bedroom he will keep saying
"Is that all you got"
fuzzypants

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »

Had 3 of them the one use to sing ol mc Donald had a farm .
Every time
My Mom would sing 2 of them would start singin they are fun but keeping the cages clean is a lot of work.
Also every time they would see us eating something all 3 would start yelling "want one".

They were excellent watch dogs when any one one was out side and they could see or knock on the door all 3 would start yelling "hell" and "what" and " woe"

" when I get got , I get my Glock"
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »

We have an African Grey parrot named Rocky (thought it was a male but it turned out to be a female).  We have had her since December 1983.  They have a life expectancy of about 60-65 years.  In taking care of birds, it's very important that they and their cage are not in any drafts and, because they are tropical birds, the temp cannot go below 60.  It is true that teflon can produce toxic fumes for birds.  Never ever give any bird avocado as it is lethal for birds.  We feed ours a parrot mix with seeds, nuts and dried fruit and also give her some fresh fruits and veggies (in giving her any new type of fruit or veggie, we always verify first that it's something they can eat).  She likes apples but you can never give them apple seeds because they contain arsenic.  She also like cheese but her favorite food is peanuts.  She's affectionate, likes to be held and have her head scratched.

African Greys are supposed to have limitless vocabularies but ours only knows one word (hello) and it took us 3 years to train her on that (I've always said she's very intelligent but doesn't apply herself).  I guess some are better talkers than others and I heard the males talk more but I don't know that to be a fact.  She does a lot of whistling and imitates electronic sounds such as a ringing phone and the microwave beeping.

When you first get them, African Greys might bite but unlike other birds, after clamping down, they will let go.  If you get a handfed baby, they probably will not bite at all as they are used to people handling them.  Ours was not a handfed baby.  We believe ours was 3 years old when we got her so she's approximately 33 years old now.

We clean her cage every day and put paper on the bottom.  They are somewhat messy with seeds falling out of the cage but it's easy to clean by vacuuming.

All you have to do is search for African Grey on youtube to see how people interact with their birds and you will see they make very good pets.  Each has its own personality and they are real little characters.  They do get set in their ways and routine and don't like a lot of change.

To get an idea of the potential African Greys have, here's a very entertaining video of Einstein, a very talented African Grey.  Although ours is nowhere near as talented as Einstein, we're crazy about her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rfGEtALHYs
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:35:07 AM by Mary Ann » Report to moderator   Logged
Sea Biscuit

Member Since Dec 17-2006

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 02:25:52 AM »

We have an African Grey parrot named Rocky (thought it was a male but it turned out to be a female).  We have had her since December 1983.  They have a life expectancy of about 60-65 years.  In taking care of birds, it's very important that they and their cage are not in any drafts and, because they are tropical birds, the temp cannot go below 60.  It is true that teflon can produce toxic fumes for birds.  Never ever give any bird avocado as it is lethal for birds.  We feed ours a parrot mix with seeds, nuts and dried fruit and also give her some fresh fruits and veggies (in giving her any new type of fruit or veggie, we always verify first that it's something they can eat).  She likes apples but you can never give them apple seeds because they contain arsenic.  She also like cheese but her favorite food is peanuts.  She's affectionate, likes to be held and have her head scratched.

African Greys are supposed to have limitless vocabularies but ours only knows one word (hello) and it took us 3 years to train her on that (I've always said she's very intelligent but doesn't apply herself).  I guess some are better talkers than others and I heard the males talk more but I don't know that to be a fact.  She does a lot of whistling and imitates electronic sounds such as a ringing phone and the microwave beeping.

When you first get them, African Greys might bite but unlike other birds, after clamping down, they will let go.  If you get a handfed baby, they probably will not bite at all as they are used to people handling them.  Ours was not a handfed baby.  We believe ours was 3 years old when we got her so she's approximately 33 years old now.

We clean her cage every day and put paper on the bottom.  They are somewhat messy with seeds falling out of the cage but it's easy to clean by vacuuming.

All you have to do is search for African Grey on youtube to see how people interact with their birds and you will see they make very good pets.  Each has its own personality and they are real little characters.  They do get set in their ways and routine and don't like a lot of change.

To get an idea of the potential African Greys have, here's a very entertaining video of Einstein, a very talented African Grey.  Although ours is nowhere near as talented as Einstein, we're crazy about her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rfGEtALHYs

Very informative post Mary Ann.

Thanks for sharing.
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »

One other thing about African Greys is they can growl and it is a very loud growl.  They will do that if they feel threatened, like someone they don't know getting too close. We used to have as pets retired-from racing Greyhounds that we adopted. I used to tell everyone our dogs don't growl but our bird does. If you have other pets, it will take supervision with them if the bird is out of the cage.

In summary, African Greys are a low maintenance pet to have.  They need their food and water each day, a clean cage, a little clean-up around their cage and some attention given to the bird. They are not always noisy and loud, they sleep a lot and they are a lot of fun to have around.

Sea Biscuit, glad you liked the information. As you can see, I like talking about our pets.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:57:22 PM by Mary Ann » Report to moderator   Logged
APPRENTICE

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 02:15:33 PM »

AFTER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION,,

GETTIN A PARROT..... thumbs up thumbs up
Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 06:09:14 PM »

Lucpark, congrats on your decision. In the 30 years we've had our parrot, we've never regretted it. Glad to hear you will be getting your new little friend.
APPRENTICE

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »

Lucpark, congrats on your decision. In the 30 years we've had our parrot, we've never regretted it. Glad to hear you will be getting your new little friend.

PARROTT,,TURTLE,,DOG,,,AND HORSES,,,,,,

I LUV ANIMALS,,,,,,, trophy trophy trophy trophy trophy trophy

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:35:51 PM by LUCPARK » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: