Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

November 23, 2014, 11:15:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need some help  (Read 673 times)
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »

anybody have any programs from the late 70s, early 80,s? if you do please take a look at the purses. im interested to see the difference in the purses now and 30 years ago. what was the invite going for at the meadowlands in the early 80s? roosevelt,s 10,000 claimer compared to the 10,000 claimer at tracks racing now. if you got the numbers please post year, track, class, and purse . im thinking there not much more now than 30 years ago. Posters what do you think?
Report to moderator   Logged
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »

anybody have any programs from the late 70s, early 80,s? if you do please take a look at the purses. im interested to see the difference in the purses now and 30 years ago. what was the invite going for at the meadowlands in the early 80s? roosevelt,s 10,000 claimer compared to the 10,000 claimer at tracks racing now. if you got the numbers please post year, track, class, and purse . im thinking there not much more now than 30 years ago. Posters what do you think?
Meadowlands NW2~$8,500 first year they were open~~Think $17,500 was lowest Cl.?

I trust no one, not even myself~~
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »

Swoop, It would be tough for me to dig up some old programs, however, Roosevelt Raceway purses in the mid 70's, were I believe higher for the letter classes (C1/C2, B1, etc) than the Meadowlands purses of today. I often think back that 40 years ago horseman, owners, etc were making significant incomes back then. I also remember the going rate for a caretaker was $75 per horse and $20 per paddock. I can't remember too many stables letting you have more than 3, however, that has significantly changed today also.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »

Swoop, It would be tough for me to dig up some old programs, however, Roosevelt Raceway purses in the mid 70's, were I believe higher for the letter classes (C1/C2, B1, etc) than the Meadowlands purses of today. I often think back that 40 years ago horseman, owners, etc were making significant incomes back then. I also remember the going rate for a caretaker was $75 per horse and $20 per paddock. I can't remember too many stables letting you have more than 3, however, that has significantly changed today also.
I think the Meds was about $500.00 to $1000.00 a class higher~~Was racing both tracks at the time and remember the Meds being higher!

I trust no one, not even myself~~
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »

its hard to believe that with the advent of slots were not racing for  anymore money than we did in the eighties. gas was 1.00 a gallon.20 cents to mail a letter. here's a link to what we paid for bread, gas, milk, in the 80s. http://www.inthe80s.com/prices.shtml  30 years and we haven't gone forward a step. worked for Joe O'Brien in the late 70,s it was a 15 dollar paddock and he wanted 2 people. but Joe was notorious for being thrifty. Joe's owner, duncan McDonald owned fresh Yankee. paid 900 for her. made a million back in the late 60, into the 70s.  Kentucky bill who looked after her for a while told me this story.. fresh Yankee had just won a big race  for 100,000 dollars. bill had the mare back at the barn after the race and duncan came by with Joe. duncan told bill he was going to get a bite to eat and would come back to the barn after. bill said duncan asked him if he wanted something? bill told him He would like a ham and cheese and fries. duncans response was give me 3.00 dollars. bill was cracking up telling me this just won 50,000 and wants 3 bucks from his groom for a ham and cheese. you cant make this stuff up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:29:40 PM by swoopdaddy » Report to moderator   Logged
Juicejunkies

Ignore Button Below↓↓↓

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »

We need the handle back from those days. 
How many tracks raced in 1980?
How many in 2012-2013?
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »

How many in 2012-2013?
my father was in charge of the fall hollywood park meet in the 70s. averaged a million a night, all on track. used to have  an elks night  all the b.p.o.e clubs around los angeles would have a night at the track 20,000 elks would be there. free program, discounted box seat, admission, they  wouldnt bet much but they would drink like fishes. measured shots that cost 4.00 to 5.00 a crack. thats where the track made thier money its in attendance not the handle you get enough people there they will bet enough but you need people there.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:40:25 PM by swoopdaddy » Report to moderator   Logged
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:47:39 PM »

How many in 2012-2013?

Some of that information is here and in old threads.
It may have been "just" the Chicago tracks, I simply don't recall.

Do recall that it was a comparison that was focused upon the tax revenue for states and how that has changed since the advent of simulcasting and declining attendance.

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »

swoop,
           The USTA Yearbooks stopped including the uncharted results for all of North America in the 1970s so that's no longer a vaild resource.
 The USTA Microfiche contains all that info, however the search options are barely useable and there's not any way to copy the data from the viewer to a computer, except manually typing.

The only valid source for this info (outside of somebody digging through plies of old programs) is the USTA.

The 1970s through 1991 Harness Horse issues are online via Google Books, however they are virtually useless (with limited search results) due to copyright restrictions.

Horseman and Fair World magazines would be another option, however they are not online.

Regards Don
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »

Plenty more than are racing today.

Just look at Illinois and Michigan.

Mich had Wolverine, Hazel Park, Jackson, Saginaw Valley opened in 1980 or 81. For T-Breds; Hazel and DRC-Wolverine were still rotating the meets.
 Wolverine and Hazel raced S-Bred and T-Breds six days a week from early April through early October. Northville had two meets; Oct-Dec and Jan-Apr. Jackson raced about six weeks in the spring 4-5 days a week and also had a Fall meet.

Mich had 30 or more fairs racing then as well.
A handful of S-Breds each year made 100k+ just racing their 2YO and 3YO seasons at the fairs.

Somebody else may do the Illinois.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:09:01 PM by wilderness » Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 07:07:46 PM »

its hard to believe that with the advent of slots were not racing for  anymore money than we did in the eighties. gas was 1.00 a gallon.20 cents to mail a letter. here's a link to what we paid for bread, gas, milk, in the 80s. http://www.inthe80s.com/prices.shtml  30 years and we haven't gone forward a step. worked for Joe O'Brien in the late 70,s it was a 15 dollar paddock and he wanted 2 people. but Joe was notorious for being thrifty. Joe's owner, duncan McDonald owned fresh Yankee. paid 900 for her. made a million back in the late 60, into the 70s.  Kentucky bill who looked after her for a while told me this story.. fresh Yankee had just won a big race  for 100,000 dollars. bill had the mare back at the barn after the race and duncan came by with Joe. duncan told bill he was going to get a bite to eat and would come back to the barn after. bill said duncan asked him if he wanted something? bill told him He would like a ham and cheese and fries. duncans response was give me 3.00 dollars. bill was cracking up telling me this just won 50,000 and wants 3 bucks from his groom for a ham and cheese. you cant make this stuff up.
Swoop, When I read your post, I think back on the Clint Galbraith thread from a few months back. I don't know him but when I was reading what "happened" to him ....I hate to say I really didn't feel sorry. There are greater things and people to feel bad about. People in those eras made tons of money, and as you say, most things were 1/10 of the cost they are today (or greater). Caretakers have always been low paid but think back on the days you are talking about and the money people made care taking versus what horseman and owners made doh
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »

Swoop, When I read your post, I think back on the Clint Galbraith thread from a few months back. I don't know him but when I was reading what "happened" to him ....I hate to say I really didn't feel sorry. There are greater things and people to feel bad about. People in those eras made tons of money, and as you say, most things were 1/10 of the cost they are today (or greater). Caretakers have always been low paid but think back on the days you are talking about and the money people made care taking versus what horseman and owners made doh
it is ironic, that you may have a $1,000,000 animal. and a $125.00 a week human to take care of your investment.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 07:23:45 PM »

swoop,
           check your email

Regards Don
TheRedMile

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 08:18:16 PM »

it is ironic, that you may have a $1,000,000 animal. and a $125.00 a week human to take care of your investment.

itis what has happened in every industry
those in charge will not take less but want everyone to work longer and harder for the smae or less for them
Yonkers1

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

There was a poster, I believe he was a trainer who use to post old win photos, maybe some are in the archives
HHTremor

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »

Here is a Horseman And Fair World from April 1986. I'll see if I can find something older. Some familiar names and nice purses. Check out the attendance & handle for the first Saturday in April that year.

swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »

thanks tremor, 20,000 people and 3 and a half million. some great names on that page. look at the third to last on the page, the race won by jd,s byrd. see the horse who was second? they named that horse after a poster who posts here. lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:13:31 PM by swoopdaddy » Report to moderator   Logged
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »

I was there in April of 86 and they had a freaking rain-out.
Cancelled the card after three races because of freaking rain.

Bunch of wuses.

Regards Don
pacinfool

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 06:59:51 PM »

my father was in charge of the fall hollywood park meet in the 70s. averaged a million a night, all on track. used to have  an elks night  all the b.p.o.e clubs around los angeles would have a night at the track 20,000 elks would be there. free program, discounted box seat, admission, they  wouldnt bet much but they would drink like fishes. measured shots that cost 4.00 to 5.00 a crack. thats where the track made thier money its in attendance not the handle you get enough people there they will bet enough but you need people there.

That was great racing! Big crowds, good racing, and harness racing at its best. People that have never been there couldn't even imagine what it was all about. Great times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: