Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 21, 2014, 12:38:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Excuses  (Read 1366 times)
wilderness

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:18:50 AM »

From Aug 1950 HB's:

"One of the drivers—I won't mention his name—claims he had a horse that he couldn't win with because every time he was near the loudspeaker on the track he slowed down so that he could listen to the announcer.". . .Lillian Chessman
Report to moderator   Logged

Regards Don
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:03:49 AM »

True story, driver told a trainer he was seeing double vision. While scoring down a horse who was deathly afraid of the water truck. Said he was not going back on the track until post time.
Trainer told him, get the F back out there, and when you see 2 water trucks coming towards you.....missem both......
Racepony

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:15:40 AM »

True story..

I once had a trainer at Yonkers tell me that the horse does not like the lights at that track.

No bs.
the exactorman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:18:41 AM »

True story..

I once had a trainer at Yonkers tell me that the horse does not like the lights at that track.

No bs.
I heard that one many times. The other was when they got caught at the wire it was because horse saw lights approaching...horse did same thing at Freehold laughing guy
Racepony

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:22:52 AM »

I never heard that one before . I thought he was joking.

We pulled the horse from the guy the next week.
wilderness

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:24:44 AM »

from Dec 14, 1938 Harness Horse:

Get Up! Get Up!

Wayne Groves who was one of the officials at the Toledo, O., Meeting last June, had an excuse handed him for the withdrawal of a horse which had already been declared in to start on the second day. As all will remember who were at the Fort Miami plant, a veritable deluge fell on Saturday and Sunday, preceding the opening, and in order to remove the water from the track, the tiles being blocked in places, pumps were brought into use and the surplus forced into the pond in one end of the center-field. The amphibia in the pond, and they were numberless, evidently celebrating the increased size of their habitat, put on some unusually loud nocturnal concerts, as early on Tuesday a trainer dropped into the office and said, "Mr. Groves I'll have to withdraw my horse from this evening's card as he is in no condition to start." "Nothing as serious as a broken leg, is it?" queried Wayne, "No," was the reply, "but those bull-frogs in the pond over near where I am stabled kept continually shouting all night, Get up! Get up! Get up! and my horse kept constantly circling the stall until daylight, never getting any rest. This morning he looks as gaunt and tired as though he had just finished a hard race." "Well, brother," said the smiling and obliging Wayne, "That is a new one for the Book and your originality deserves to be rewarded and your good trotter a chance to catch up on his sleep, so I will see that his name is withdrawn from the score card."

Regards Don
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

True story..

No bs.
My friend,
If you don't thing lights at the track can affect a horse, then you sir are in need of some hands on horsemanship lessons.

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
looking in

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »

IMHO,
The age old problem is many owners and most handicappers don't know the difference between a reason and an excuse.
What good does telling some one that, "X" times "Y" equals "Z" ,if they don't know what "X" is, don't what to know what "Y" is, and think they already know every thing there is to know about "Z"

I am just an old "Hoss" trainer, that has been raced hard and put away wet. 
As my Friend from Maine(Ora Stratton) says "There are horse trainers, and then there are real "Hoss" trainers.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »

The most common exccuse -- the other horses were faster.
Wink Martingale

"They gave me a hat. I have the hat to this day."

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »

I was once at Pocono on July 3rd or 4th when Lambertus had a horse named Mineral Springs who was about 2-1 from the 8 hole.  He was last at the half, made a huge move between calls, and then broke when someone blew off an M-80 in the parking lot... line thus showed only
8  8    8    x8  8/dis   8/dis.

Drove back back there to bet him the following week, I think he paid about $4.80.   Cheesy

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
jack baker

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 07:35:26 AM »

At Northfield about two years ago I saw a horse literally jump over the finish line...was pretty funny for me but I'm sure the driver didn't think so...
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »

Brets Triumph once won a feature or sub-feature at Roosevelt with Arno Mendritzky subbing in the bike for Ted Taylor... he rode up on someone else's wheel just before the wire and got taken down; the win photo, which I still have around somehwere, shows Mendritzky literally up in the air a few inches above the bike due to the gaffe.  Fig guys at the t-breds know what a "bounce" is; this was a different kind. 

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
Racepony

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »

My friend,
If you don't thing lights at the track can affect a horse, then you sir are in need of some hands on horsemanship lessons.

You sir......should never own racehorses.
Trainers will rob you blind.
Been around horses my whole life and I know a lot of people in the industry.

I don't know one person who would accept that excuse from a trainer.
Old and Slow

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »

You sir......should never own racehorses.
Trainers will rob you blind.
Been around horses my whole life and I know a lot of people in the industry.

I don't know one person who would accept that excuse from a trainer.
Racepony, FYI looking in is one of the most knowledgeable horsemen to ever grace this or any other site.

Just thought you should know.

I know one thing for sure.  Indecision may or may not be my problem.
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

DOESNT LIKE THE SOUND OF HOOFBEETS
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »

Racepony, FYI looking in is one of the most knowledgeable horsemen to ever grace this or any other site.

Well stated. And true.

--Winston Churchill
sulkyfromouterspace

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »

Just saying the lights effected the horse is not good enough...I would never accept that.....I would want some sort of validation....Its kind of like saying to 1 million people....go find your broken watch.....and bring it to the TV......I will use my hocus pocus to make the watches "work" again.  Just be honest with the owners..."your horse sucks" because..........and give a honest horsemans answer....not just ..." the lights made the horse lose"....       thats out of the book of Pena I think.....chapter 2

Bet with Integrity .....Bet with Gural !
Racepony

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »

Well... I don't know how you mid west guys handle your business. .... But I've been in the horseracing business for 30 yeas, and I don't know ANYONE who would accept that excuse.
Maybe your friend is not as knowledgable as you think.
sulkyfromouterspace

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 06:58:54 AM »

Maybe your friend is not as knowledgable as you think.

thumbs up 

Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2013, 08:05:56 AM »

Most of you probably don't remember an old campaigner named JP Ammo... he was a champion in the Maritimes; Stanley Dancer bought him and brought him down to NY, where he became a girtty claimer.

JP Ammo in his NY incarnation did not like night racing; IIRC, he'd do quite well at Freehold, where the racing is in the afternoon.  His form in NY picked up when one of his trainers, I believe it was Kenny Kalikow, put orange goggles on him.

Horses, like most mammals, can be finicky creatures, and, yes, some are frightened by the lights, or any one of a number of things.  As for Looking In, many people here know who he is; he knows his stuff and then some.

--Winston Churchill
dinkadoo

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »

Brets Triumph once won a feature or sub-feature at Roosevelt with Arno Mendritzky subbing in the bike for Ted Taylor... he rode up on someone else's wheel just before the wire and got taken down; the win photo, which I still have around somehwere, shows Mendritzky literally up in the air a few inches above the bike due to the gaffe.  Fig guys at the t-breds know what a "bounce" is; this was a different kind. 

a little off topic but going with the photo thing --- I was at Circleville, Ohio fair yearssss ago, Horse broke at wire in a photo.... Judges left the breaker up saying he broke AFTER the wire, in the photo showed the trotter with all four legs folded in a full break with his nose on the wire..... told the judges to look at the photo, they thought it was funny...
TheRedMile

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 08:25:12 AM »

from a betting perspective i have seen horse spooked from all kinds of goofy stuff in both breeds

try looking up the 1990 breeders cup sprint and see dayjur jump a shadow twice coming to the wire
i had a maiden at keeneland freeze when the gates opened and he never flinched he stood like a statue for minutes
try watching them load some tbred races and see how goofy they can get
sulkyfromouterspace

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 08:32:13 AM »

a little off topic but going with the photo thing --- I was at Circleville, Ohio fair yearssss ago, Horse broke at wire in a photo.... Judges left the breaker up saying he broke AFTER the wire, in the photo showed the trotter with all four legs folded in a full break with his nose on the wire..... told the judges to look at the photo, they thought it was funny...

Harness racing is a beautiful sport to watch......I do not know why tracks do not invest in the best video equipment available.....HD Television has been around for years and harness racing seems to be in the dark ages...  Photo finishes should be able to show the pimple on a horses nose.....wins should be won by hairs....not noses..... laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy  you get the point.....

Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 08:36:52 AM »

Just saying the lights effected the horse is not good enough...I would never accept that.....I would want some sort of validation....Its kind of like saying to 1 million people....go find your broken watch.....and bring it to the TV......I will use my hocus pocus to make the watches "work" again.  Just be honest with the owners..."your horse sucks" because..........and give a honest horsemans answer....not just ..." the lights made the horse lose"....       thats out of the book of Pena I think.....chapter 2

"Your horse sucks" is the fastest way on Earth known to man -- to lose an owner.

The lights do affect some horses.  You will see form changes between day and night races on many horses.  When the summer rolls around, it is important to note form changes from when horses race in the early races (daylight) and then under the lights.  Didn't you note form changes when the Meadowlands raced on Sundays?  Seemed to me that Sundays provided more winners over 25-1 than any other days.

How about horses for courses?  Sometimes its the surface.  But sometimes the horse is uncomfortable the way the shadows fall across the track -- or maybe the lights.

One great thing about this game is the individuality of horses.  They are generally dumb animals, but some of them are very smart.  And as one wiseman once said, "Ya never know."
sulkyfromouterspace

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »

As a owner and biggest risk taker....I would love to hear the words...You're horse sucks...to save myself of months of losing money and supplying the trainers drinking,addiction to fashion, and drug habits........IMO

some posters will twist and turn every little detail to make a point..... laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy laughing guy

thats reality my friend....

trotter

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: