Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 01, 2014, 07:34:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Devilfish...  (Read 5118 times)
Lester

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 10:28:01 AM »

What about "Hot and Sporty"?
Everybody was high on him as a 2year old and the owners turned down 500K for the gelding.
It seems alot of the posters on here have a good eye for horses and are correct more often than not.

JMO

For anyone to be right about Hot N Sporty he needs to win outside of Illinois which he hasn't done yet. It's not like it was hard to figure out the horse was blessed with speed.
Report to moderator   Logged
Lester

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »

He came a 121 and change final three-quarters, after being caught out in first turn and heading to the top.  That's a F3Q time that's EXCELLENT for a FFA horse -- not to mention that the final panel stuck into the wind.

The part that makes it all the more ridiculous is Davey's quote: "I was trying to slow him down at three-quarters."

What?!?

Best,
EW

How would those other top 3 year olds look against that field?
Lester

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 10:41:57 AM »

watching that animal just leaves me wanting to know, who,will be his next victims, where, will he race next(hoosier cup?) what, did i just witness ..when, has there been a nw of 2 destroy a stakes field like that

When has there been a "stakes field" that pathetic?
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 10:44:09 AM »

How would those other top 3 year olds look against that field?

You never know how it will work.  He may get faster when confronted...or there's a chance that he doesn't have a fortitude to go on when he's looked in the eye.

All I know is that he went pretty much the same mile as the Carey Memorial, and he did it completely within himself.  It was thrilling to watch.

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
njhorseman

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 10:45:35 AM »

Let's see what happens when the horse faces top 3yos who are just as fast as he is and can look him in the eye. Then we'll know whether he's anything special or not.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 10:45:46 AM »

The horse shows definite "promise".
Until he races some better stock and gets looked at straight in the eye, we should be a little cautious in making a champion out of him just yet.
off stride

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 10:47:09 AM »

lester. when you only offer 60k, what do you expect..people to scratch out of the na cup?
burton

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 10:47:49 AM »

Let's see what happens when the horse faces top 3yos who are just as fast as he is and can look him in the eye. Then we'll know whether he's anything special or not.
Paul I posted basically the same comment at the same time.
Many. many horses go fast, but a s you point out until they are headed do we really see what they are made of.
Incredible Shadow

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 11:02:28 AM »

If you have watched the 3 year old division this year closely , being obviously from Jersey, you probably have an opinion that Artistic Fella might be the top colt of all the 3 year olds. He might be, very nice horse.

Some would argue that Total Truth has jumped to the forefront of the division with his win last night in the NA Cup, he just might have done that.

Some who follow Woodbine have watched an Erv Miller colt named Western Shore and think he might be up near the top based on what he has done the last month, racing in overnights, looking very impressive. It might be true.

But any astute horseman who has watched Devilfish race so far , would have been completely floored by the ease in which he has qualifed, and won both his starts. Think about last nights performance , 1:50 under wraps, admittedly against not the greatest field, but have you ever seen a colt with only 1 parimutual start look so easy pacing a mile that fast. It was effortless and he could have went at least 2 seconds faster. You mention, what will he do when he gets looked in the eye by a top colt, from what I have seen so far from him , he may pace a mile in about 47 sooner than you think and not too many get looked in the eye going that kind of speed. You may change your opinion of him very soon when he races against the best.

Lester , your knowledge or is it lack of , obviously isnt worth wasting my fingertips typing any responses, "put the soother back in yoiur mouth and get back in the playpen".

Your best new friend ...... Shadow
Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 11:27:48 AM »

Hey just wanna throw this out there....
Does everybody agree that Devilfish went that amazing mile on just Hay, Oats, and Water?
Im not saying he didnt...Just would like to get everyones opinion
Incredible Shadow

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 11:49:40 AM »

Ladies and gentllemen ... another contestant has stepped up and became a contender for the moron of the week award.

Where did you get your name from Lusty , let me take a wild guess.

In a drunken stupour when you were supposed to be out on a church function , you frequented the local peeler joint , drank shooters all night long , befriended a skank peeler named "Doyawanna Comebacktomyplace" and starred in the movie " Lusty Tar Heel " hence getting your frat pin

Preracing a 3 year old worth megabucks in b class stake race = my nomination to Moron of the week
The thought of posting something so assenine                    = my nomination to moron of the week

I didnt just fall off the turnip truck and do know what goes on with some of the degenerate scumsuckers who call themselves trainers in this sport, but for you to insinuate this colt was loaded up by Miller = definate front runner for the award.

Your best new friend ... Shadow

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:00:55 PM by Incredible Shadow » Report to moderator   Logged
off stride

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 11:56:47 AM »

lusty. here we have a horse ..to take the talk away from all that other stuff that we all agree is driving the game/sport into oblivion ..its so nice to talk about a horse .. and his race again ..he was/is that thing that draws people to this game .. put that 'other' stuff' on the back burner when it comes to 'this' horse.. lets follow his career and see where it takes him.. bring up the 'other' stuff when you talk about 9 year olds dropping seconds off their life marks , not about a 3 year old that has quickly grabbed the attention of the chicago and the national racing world..devilfish went 1.50 in his second start.  much more seasoned horse only went 149.2 to win 1.5 million looneys .. it looked that the fish had that in his tank and we are sure that when time is right erv will take on the best and we will see what happens..but for now i prefer to revel in his success and not stoop to your conspiratory sh!t
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 11:58:18 AM by off stride » Report to moderator   Logged
Lester

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 12:00:36 PM »

lester. when you only offer 60k, what do you expect..people to scratch out of the na cup?

I could careless who was in the field. The field stunk,which it is why I don't see why you're acting like it was so amazing that a nw2 crushed that field. Thats all I was responding to.

Tsunami

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 12:03:18 PM »

For anyone to be right about Hot N Sporty he needs to win outside of Illinois which he hasn't done yet. It's not like it was hard to figure out the horse was blessed with speed.

There is nothing wrong with bringing a young horse along slowly , we have seen too many possibly good horses get thrown in the bigger circuts sooner than they should only to have the horse get injured or have lameness problems(i.e. QPM) so I would have to applaude the connections for taking their time before doing so. Only time will tell how good he is and when he eventually races out of state the debate will be decided.

Does everybody agree that Devilfish went that amazing mile on just Hay, Oats, and Water?

IMO I would venture to guess that only approved medications were used and the horse has a ton of ability. With all the diseases,ailments and stress levels of the Standardbred Horse some medications are needed as we would only be fooling ourselves if some medications weren`t used.  

On a side note does Erv Miller ever show any emotion?
I think he could win the lottery and still look like he lost his best friend.  
TheTruth

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2006, 12:41:35 PM »

Does anybody know why this horse wasn't raced as a two year old?  Just curious.

Opinions are like a-holes....everyone has one.  The problem is the a-holes with the opinions!
talking head

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2006, 01:19:11 PM »

Truth:

You will have to ask Erv & Mr. Waxman!
TK

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2006, 01:38:31 PM »

Was just too immature and wasn't ready for it all.... Nice to see a trainer who recognizes that and an owner who doesn't pressure him to pushing the horse to the races....Good things come to those who wait...and have some talent and brains
VitoTheCapper
Beat your book

VitoTheCapper (#1 handicapper)

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2006, 01:48:06 PM »

Does "Niatross" ring a bell.......

VitoTheCapper
#1 Handicapper
Put your money up!!
njhorseman

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2006, 05:12:53 PM »

If you have watched the 3 year old division this year closely , being obviously from Jersey, you probably have an opinion that Artistic Fella might be the top colt of all the 3 year olds. He might be, very nice horse.

Some would argue that Total Truth has jumped to the forefront of the division with his win last night in the NA Cup, he just might have done that.

Some who follow Woodbine have watched an Erv Miller colt named Western Shore and think he might be up near the top based on what he has done the last month, racing in overnights, looking very impressive. It might be true.

But any astute horseman who has watched Devilfish race so far , would have been completely floored by the ease in which he has qualifed, and won both his starts. Think about last nights performance , 1:50 under wraps, admittedly against not the greatest field, but have you ever seen a colt with only 1 parimutual start look so easy pacing a mile that fast. It was effortless and he could have went at least 2 seconds faster. You mention, what will he do when he gets looked in the eye by a top colt, from what I have seen so far from him , he may pace a mile in about 47 sooner than you think and not too many get looked in the eye going that kind of speed. You may change your opinion of him very soon when he races against the best.

Lester , your knowledge or is it lack of , obviously isnt worth wasting my fingertips typing any responses, "put the soother back in yoiur mouth and get back in the playpen".

Your best new friend ...... Shadow

"Shadow":

In my 50 years of watching harness racing I've seen many fast horses. Some turned out to be champions, and others proved to be pea-hearted cowards who packed it in when headed by a horse just as fast.

There's no way to say what type of horse (other than fast) Devilfish will be. He's faced nothing but cheap stock to date. When he faces the top colts we'll have a better measure of his ability.

I have a special place in my heart for Artistic Fella, because I have a strong personal connection to his maternal family, not because I'm from NJ.

We'll see who's best when the big boys all meet on the track.
njhorseman

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006, 05:19:44 PM »

Many years ago, I owned a fast 3yo who, like Devilfish was unraced (except for two qualifiers) at 2.

When the horse started racing, the trainer (who was known to pre race his horses) jokingly asked me if he should "treat" the horse before one of his first starts. Not knowing how to respond, I said "yes." He laughed, and said "no...if he can't beat these on his own we're in big trouble."

The moral of the story is that if your horse is two seconds faster than any of the horses he's facing, there's no need to "light him up."
nelly

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2006, 05:24:17 PM »

No one on the forum has called this horse a world champion but they are stating the obvious, the first two starts of his career were impressive!!!!  When Dave Magee has no idea how fast he can go you better take notice!!!  I look forward to this horses next start and I have a feeling he will prove these critics wrong!!!
Incredible Shadow

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2006, 09:04:41 PM »

In your 50 years around the business, please tell me when you have ever seen a colt like this one early in his career. Name me one horse who would fit into his profile that has shown the speed he has shown thus far and the ease that he has done it. Last 1/8's under wraps in 13 and change don't lie in 1:50 miles,

I too have watched many of the spaceship 2 year olds that went huge miles early against easier stock, the list is endless and have seen them get beat when they have raced against classy seasoned horses. Anyone who knows anything about this business knows class is everything in this business, time is nothing.

This colt I believe is very special, maybe the nicest I have ever seen at his stage of development and trust me , I know a special horse when I see one (watched Matts Scooter train even before he ever qualified and loved him)
njhorseman

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2006, 09:42:23 PM »

In your 50 years around the business, please tell me when you have ever seen a colt like this one early in his career. Name me one horse who would fit into his profile that has shown the speed he has shown thus far and the ease that he has done it. Last 1/8's under wraps in 13 and change don't lie in 1:50 miles,

I too have watched many of the spaceship 2 year olds that went huge miles early against easier stock, the list is endless and have seen them get beat when they have raced against classy seasoned horses. Anyone who knows anything about this business knows class is everything in this business, time is nothing.

This colt I believe is very special, maybe the nicest I have ever seen at his stage of development and trust me , I know a special horse when I see one (watched Matts Scooter train even before he ever qualified and loved him)

For all anyone knows, Devilfish may be the next coming of Niatross...and I hope he is...or at least I would hope he is if Waxman wasn't his owner.

As for knowing a horse is special by looking at him train, I beg to differ. I've seen horses that train like monsters but end up as claimers, and I can't even count the number of times I've heard a trainer say something like "He was nothing special training down, but after he started racing it was a whole different story."

Maybe you haven't been around this board too long. It's notorious for people coming on and declaring green horses who beat up on cheap horses to be the next world champion. That's why I'm never going to jump on the bandwagon of a green horse that hasn't faced any real competition.

Lusty Tar Heel

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2006, 10:12:28 PM »

First let me say....I didnt accuse Erv Miller of giving this horse anything other then hay, oats, and water
I just threw the question out there
But, It wouldnt be the first stakes caliber horse that came out of a stakes race that was given something else
Does the name Loyal Opposition ring a bell, wasnt it her that had her purse money DQ in Lexington? in a stakes race?

I truely hope for the state of the industry that this horse does turn out to be the real deal

Shadow...If you claim to have been around for so long, You might remeber back in the early 80s a horse named Lusty Tar Heel.
And as far as the night I left the peeler joint in a drunken stupour with Doyawanna, I am sorry that two bit whore turned out to be your mother
MC

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2006, 02:14:57 AM »

If you think Erv Miller doesn't give anything other than hay, oats
and water to his horses you beleive Rucker is a saint!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: