Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 18, 2014, 10:30:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Ryan / Iron Vow  (Read 3787 times)
cicerokid35

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »

Horse should have never raced again...stidham to Ryan and 2 year layoff and you don't think anything is wrong with that situation? C'mon man!
Report to moderator   Logged
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »

Horse should have never raced again...stidham to Ryan and 2 year layoff and you don't think anything is wrong with that situation? C'mon man!

Whether or not the horse should be racing is not the same issue as to what race the horse was entered in.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »

Whether or not the horse should be racing is not the same issue as to what race the horse was entered in.

True. They are two separate issues. It's possible that the horse was fit and just had a freak bleeding incident or something. So I will give the trainer the benefit of the doubt that MAYBE the horse should have been given the chance to race. I'm not in the barn, so I don't know.

What I do know is that when I look at the PP's, I can't see one single reason to enter the horse in an allowance race...unless it was at Beulah.
cicerokid35

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »

I have no issue with a trainer using an Alw race for a prep race off the layoff. I'm just saying he should have came back to racing
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »

True. They are two separate issues. It's possible that the horse was fit and just had a freak bleeding incident or something. So I will give the trainer the benefit of the doubt that MAYBE the horse should have been given the chance to race. I'm not in the barn, so I don't know.

What I do know is that when I look at the PP's, I can't see one single reason to enter the horse in an allowance race...unless it was at Beulah.

The first horse I owned was an Ill bred that was trounced for a low- level tag and his first race back from an injury  and lengthy layoff we put him into his allowance condition. Ill breds bounce around between low- level caliming races and allowance races.
 Do you know if the office asked for some help with the race in question?
mottoman

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 05:16:08 PM »

This happens all the time folks, don't forget he was cleared by the vet! 
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »

The first horse I owned was an Ill bred that was trounced for a low- level tag and his first race back from an injury  and lengthy layoff we put him into his allowance condition. Ill breds bounce around between low- level caliming races and allowance races.
 Do you know if the office asked for some help with the race in question?

Given the field size I would guess they did. But I'm not sure what relevance that has. I doubt they called Chris Ryan and asked for this specific horse.

NYRA, We just have a disagreement here. No harm, no foul. If we were just talking about one o the factors I mentioned I would be more inclined to agree with you. When you take them all together I just don't see how someone can place that horse in that race in good conscience. What we can agree on is that it likely had nothing to do with his death.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »

It has been my experience that when you  have a small barn and are asked to help,it's a good idea to help out.
Even if that were not the case in this instance,there is nothing unusual about the placement of this horse. Ambitious maybe but when you have an Ill bred "with conditions" many opt to take a shot at the purse.
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »

it was a terrible spot for the horse, but he seemed to be sound.  I'm guessing it was a heart attack or aneurysm, but thats pure speculation.  It happens in this sport, I'm just glad he didn't suffer.  He also had an apprentice up, he was so far back Im curious if a veteran jock what have pulled him up. 
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 06:03:27 PM »

it was a terrible spot for the horse, but he seemed to be sound.  I'm guessing it was a heart attack or aneurysm, but thats pure speculation.  It happens in this sport, I'm just glad he didn't suffer.  He also had an apprentice up, he was so far back Im curious if a veteran jock what have pulled him up. 

Montalvo is an apprentice?
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »

yep, sorry, I thought Esquivel was riding.  Memory is shot.
zimms1948

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »

Chris Ryan takes excellent care of her horses.
You and your opinions need to go to school and get an education.
 She may have been hustled to go in that spot or the horse might have been in need of a race.
NO ONE is cavalier about a horse dropping dead.
You think an 8 yr old is ancient.??
Catch up on the facts, look things up.

brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »

Chris Ryan takes excellent care of her horses.

I'm assuming you're talking to me. It would help if you would quote the person you're talking to. I never said any thing about how she cares for her horses and I don't believe anyone else on here did either.

You and your opinions need to go to school and get an education.

It appears you are the one who needs to go back to school and learn how to read for comprehension.

She may have been hustled to go in that spot or the horse might have been in need of a race.

The horse may have "needed a race?" What...and she was afraid to drop him in for a tag because she would lose him? Give me a break. They write NW3L races every day at Hawthorne. Also I said that given the horse had been off for 2+ years, it seems like a questionable place to put the horse.

NO ONE is cavalier about a horse dropping dead.

No one suggested they were. I also said multiple times that where the horse was placed most likely had nothing to do with its death.

You think an 8 yr old is ancient.??

I did not say that because the horse was 8 years old it shouldn't be running. I used the horse's age to give perspective to just how lightly accomplished this horse was, when someone else suggested the horse had a "decent career". Two wins for a three year old is good. Two wins for an 8 year old is not. No???

Catch up on the facts, look things up.

Regarding "facts", the only facts that are available are the ones that I and others laid out about the horse's past performances. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Responses inserted...

Who Dat

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »

If she placed her horse in this race because she was "hustled", after a two year layoff with three published works then she doesn't take care of her horses.
Who Dat

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »

Why hasn't anyone talked about the owner?   Susan Barrett ?  Iron Vow was "retired" two years ago.  He was owned by Barrett Racing Stable then which was composed of many investors.  The horse ran in her name this time but there were many blank faces walking towards the site of the collapse on Sat; did she resell partnerships and bring him out of retirement ?    Maybe that would explain the placement.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »

If she placed her horse in this race because she was "hustled", after a two year layoff with three published works then she doesn't take care of her horses.
Touche
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »

bang head
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »

Somebody has to know this owner and/or trainer,  i still dont understand the motivation to run this particular horse
koolis24

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 10:23:41 PM »

Chris knows where to place her horses... some owners can be hard to deal with. This horse was sound and healthy going into the race.
jfc08

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »

Chris knows where to place her horses...

I FIND THAT HARD TO BELIEVE !!

Chris A. Ryan

2013 Statistics:
Starts: 4
Firsts: 0
Seconds: 0
Thirds: 1
Earnings: $1,715
Avg. Earnings Per Start: $429
Career Statistics:
Starts: 1,128
Firsts: 54
Seconds: 63
Thirds: 98
Earnings: $858,086
Avg. Earnings Per Start: $761
2013   4   0   0   1   $1,715
2012   58   1   4   9   $43,834
2011   63   2   0   3   $29,800
2010   47   2   1   9   $35,208
2009   56   1   8   7   $47,280
2008   51   1   3   4   $24,830
2007   42   2   1   3   $22,800
http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=People&searchType=T&eID=114562
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »

Chris knows where to place her horses... some owners can be hard to deal with. This horse was sound and healthy going into the race.

This is a ridiculous statement.
Daisy Girl

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »

Why hasn't anyone talked about the owner?   Susan Barrett ?  Iron Vow was "retired" two years ago.  He was owned by Barrett Racing Stable then which was composed of many investors.  The horse ran in her name this time but there were many blank faces walking towards the site of the collapse on Sat; did she resell partnerships and bring him out of retirement ?    Maybe that would explain the placement.

The blank faces walking around were Iron Vow's old investors who came to the track to watch him race. Nobody was out to try and make a quick buck. It was giving a healthy, sound horse one more chance.  He had a massive heart attack. Its a judgement call where to place a horse, it wasn't done out of greed.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 09:04:04 AM »

The blank faces walking around were Iron Vow's old investors who came to the track to watch him race. Nobody was out to try and make a quick buck. It was giving a healthy, sound horse one more chance.  He had a massive heart attack. Its a judgement call where to place a horse, it wasn't done out of greed.

I don't think anyone had bad intentions with this horse. And I believe that this most likely would have happened no matter what kind of race he was in. But if the highlighted part is really true, why not put him in a spot where he actually had a chance? A quick look at the condition book offered the following:

$5,000 NW3 Feb 17, Mar 3
g3tPWNed_24

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »

1 thing that everyone seems to be overlooking in this thread is the fact that nick(meza) wasnt riding this one, he pretty much gets on everything for ryan in the morning and afternoon
Scav

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »

The one thing that I'll say is that IMO, bringing back an 8 year old horse with LIMITED ability is quesitonable at best.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: