Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 22, 2014, 08:58:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Ryan / Iron Vow  (Read 3376 times)
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:57:07 PM »

What was the purpose of that yesterday?  A 1.7% trainer sends out an 8 year old horse that last ran for a price of $6750 in 2011 and from what I could tell, the horse dropped dead in the stretch
Report to moderator   Logged
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:29:33 PM »

I don't know anything abut the trainer or horse but there are a lot of times when a tragedy like this happens that you look back and see it was an accident waiting to happen. This is one of them. So sad. Does anyone review situations like these and look at suspensions or revoking a trainers license? Not saying this trainer should lose their license, but I'm wondering if this stuff even gets reviewed.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »

I dont understand the motive to run that horse, but im sure it would be hard to understand why a 1.7% trainer does anything.  Im sure that claiming horses, doing nothing with them, and running them back at the same price 2 weeks later would make somebody a 7-10% trainer
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »

The horse has had a decent career with some decent works leading up to the race.  It sucks that it happened, but it happens.  Im not sure you could blame anyone for what happened.
jgp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »

On another note, did anyone see the elderly man fall down outside yesterday?  He was bleeding pretty good, my buddies girlfriend fell in the same spot 2 years back and broke her wrist.  I wish they would get rid of those small steps, the edges are painted yellow, yet dangerous if your not paying attention.
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »

The horse had 2 lifetime wins and none since 2009, i wouldnt call that a 'decent career'
Mr_Ed

Stop gabbin and get me Pinochle cards!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 06:11:43 PM »

On another note, did anyone see the elderly man fall down outside yesterday?  He was bleeding pretty good, my buddies girlfriend fell in the same spot 2 years back and broke her wrist.  I wish they would get rid of those small steps, the edges are painted yellow, yet dangerous if your not paying attention.

No doubt that poor man was an 'ADW' until they took it away.......forcing him to unsafe track conditions.

Mary Ann

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:48:28 PM »

If you haven't heard about this, they are talking about using PP's to help predict racetrack breakdowns to prevent them.  A portion of the following article:

"You are probably already familiar with the spectrum of data available in typical horse racing past performances. There is a truly impressive amount of information embedded in racing charts and running lines. And plenty more that could be derived through further analysis.

Cutting to the chase: Can we use readily available data from racing charts to predict which horses are at risk of breaking down? I think we probably can and will explain how.

First, a little about predictive modeling in general. Predictive analyses aim to accomplish quite a bit more than just describe or explore data. The objective is to develop an algorithm that can predict something in the real world. Sometimes predictive analyses will shine a light on underlying causal factors too. But that's just a welcome bonus. What we want to know is does X predict Y. Because if it does then we can go out into the world and measure X and expect to find Y, with the assumption that finding Y is an important and valuable thing to do."

http://thorotrends.com/news-and-views/50-blog/109-big-data-and-death-at-americas-racetracks
n3dsports

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »

Couple of dumb questions:

1- If a horse goes down on the track and has to be put down is their any insurance that helps a trainer with cost?

2- Wouldn't jockeys see a horse like this and want to stay away from it?

Thanks
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:34:27 PM »

Couple of dumb questions:

1- If a horse goes down on the track and has to be put down is their any insurance that helps a trainer with cost?

2- Wouldn't jockeys see a horse like this and want to stay away from it?

Thanks

Regarding your second question, some jockeys have to scramble to get whatever mounts they can. Te established guys most likely wanted nothing to do with this horse.

Also, I hadn't even realized this was an allowance race. This trainer took an 8 year old with 2 lifetime wins and more than a year off and put him in an allowance race? Shouldn't someone review whether or not this trainer should have a license
carl baldwin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 10:13:09 PM »

Iron Vow (IL)

CH , G, foaled February 18, 2005

( Broken Vow - My Mom Joanie, by Iron Courage)
Connections as of last Start:
Jockey:    Carlos Montalvo
Trainer:    Chris A. Ryan
Owner:    Suzanne Barrett
Breeder:    Richard Friedman

2013 Statistics:

Starts: 1
    Firsts: 0
    Seconds: 0
    Thirds: 0
    Earnings: $300
    Earnings Per Start: $300
    Highest Equibase Speed Figure 0

Career Statistics:

Starts: 29
    Firsts: 2
    Seconds: 2
    Thirds: 4
    Earnings: $67,641
    Earnings Per Start: $2,332
    Highest 99

nmslim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »

The hardest thing to remember is as much as people become attached,horses are livestock,and livestock dies and you cannot predict it.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »

The hardest thing to remember is as much as people become attached,horses are livestock,and livestock dies and you cannot predict it.

True. But you also can minimize the chance of incident by not entering an 8 year old, with two lifetime wins, who hasn't raced since 2011, into an allowance race.
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 02:26:11 PM »

Unfortunately many in our industry (and every other industry), see ethical behavior and $$$ as competing forces.  I don't know the circumstances of this particular instance, and we should not automatically jump to the worst possible conclusion.  However, unless we get to the place where the potential monetary loss for ALL the connections of a horse is equal to or greater than the potential gain for putting a horse at risk, it will never stop.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 03:00:38 PM by beobob » Report to moderator   Logged
dano-themano

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »

The allowance was a stretch.  I saw the connections after the race and they were devastated. 
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »

The allowance was a stretch.  I saw the connections after the race and they were devastated. 

A "stretch"? That's awfully generous
The Turf Monster

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »

The type of race isnt what killed the horse, it was running its own race from the start
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »

The type of race isnt what killed the horse, it was running its own race from the start

Understood. I'm just questioning the judgment is all.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 04:52:34 PM »

the horse didn't fit the conditions?
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 04:56:52 PM »

the horse didn't fit the conditions?

The horse "met" the conditions by having never won a first level allowance race. I wouldn't say the horse "fit" the conditions.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 05:04:09 PM »

Illinois breds jump between open claimers and Ill/Alw races often. I don't see any issues on where this horse was placed.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 05:11:32 PM »

Illinois breds jump between open claimers and Ill/Alw races often. I don't see any issues on where this horse was placed.

You don't see any issues with taking an EIGHT year old horse with TWO lifetime wins that hadn't raced in more than TWO full calendar years and running him in an allowance race? Never mind the fact that his last race (more than two years ago) he finished dead last in a $6500 claiming race.

Oh...and the horse went off at 50/1 in a 7 horse field. So apparently everyone else thought he was poorly placed as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 05:16:53 PM by brivolta » Report to moderator   Logged
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »

No, not at all. 
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 05:20:19 PM »

No, not at all. 

Okay then. And to be clear, I'm not saying that's what killed the horse. I'm just saying it seems like a terrible spot to place him.
NYRA 792

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »

Maybe the office asked for some help making the race go,who knows?
Maybe since it appeared the horse had been training well you take your shot for the bigger purse since you're eligible for the race.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: