Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 04:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: California's NEW claim rule  (Read 424 times)
brivolta

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »

I would love to see Illinois and other states follow suit.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/76406/california-amends-rule-to-void-claims-again?fb_action_ids=498512146857781&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map={%22498512146857781%22%3A487354541326900}&action_type_map={%22498512146857781%22%3A%22og.recommends%22}&action_ref_map=[]
Report to moderator   Logged
beobob

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »

Is there a differentiation made between a horse who is deemed unsound due to the race and one that is entered unsound? Is there even a way to determine that?  Or does it matter?  The owner of the horse running assumes the risk of injury or losing the horse through claim every time it runs.  Is it right for the owner to have that risk after their horse is claimed?  I agree with the intent to stop the bad guys, just wondering if in an attempt to stop the bad guys the good guys pay a price.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »

Is there a differentiation made between a horse who is deemed unsound due to the race and one that is entered unsound? Is there even a way to determine that?  Or does it matter?  The owner of the horse running assumes the risk of injury or losing the horse through claim every time it runs.  Is it right for the owner to have that risk after their horse is claimed?  I agree with the intent to stop the bad guys, just wondering if in an attempt to stop the bad guys the good guys pay a price.

The way I read it, it doesn't matter. And what you point out is definitely the down side. But to me there is a lot more positive than negative, particularly from the standpoint of safety.
STIVO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:27:18 PM »

I remember claiming a horse with my dad about 10 years ago named BALTIC DESIRE. The horse had wraps on within 10 min to post. Front wraps were on. Horse broke down during the race and the idiot trainer (women) was screaming, "that's why I entered him!" "Glad I don't have him anymore!" It was sickening. We tried to keep the horse alive but there was nothing we could do. HAW gave us half of the claim amount back.
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »

I remember claiming a horse with my dad about 10 years ago named BALTIC DESIRE. The horse had wraps on within 10 min to post. Front wraps were on. Horse broke down during the race and the idiot trainer (women) was screaming, "that's why I entered him!" "Glad I don't have him anymore!" It was sickening. We tried to keep the horse alive but there was nothing we could do. HAW gave us half of the claim amount back.

I hope they took her license away.

So let me get this straight. The horse came to the paddock without wraps and then they put them on once the claim box closed? I thought that wasn't allowed?
honest & balanced terry
formerly plain old clockerterry

silver-tongued track bum

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »

Seems as though it takes all the risk out of claiming a horse, which should be good for all but especially good for those with the most money. Just claim anything that can run a little, and it turns out after the race that wasn't such a good claim, throw it back.

OTOH if it keeps people from running a sore horse one last time just to try to get out from under it and not be the last person holding the bag, it is a victory for horses.

"There are no $7500 maiden claimers, state-bred or otherwise, at Arlington."
Earl Sande

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »

Whatever happened to "You pay your money, you take your chances"?
brivolta

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »

Whatever happened to "You pay your money, you take your chances"?

My support of this has nothing to do with protecting the new owner. As an owner you know the risks involved in claiming. I support it because it protects horses and ultimately jockeys as well.
zanzibar

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 06:34:05 PM »

Some info on Baltic Desire and his (women) trainer from Equibase:

Baltic Desire (KY)
B , G, foaled March 18, 1996
( Believe It - Baltic Miss, by Gone West)

Connections as of last Start:
Jockey:
E. T. Baird
Trainer:
Thomas H. Swearingen
Owner:
Andrew F. Dowden, III
Breeder:
Derby Company, Ltd

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print