Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 24, 2014, 07:11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GREAT HORSES THAT WE FORGET ABOUT  (Read 4078 times)
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:40 PM »

How About Seatrain  dollar dollar

Seatrainís Jug win:
Webster took him out in 28; middle half in 1:03.3; home in 28.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-htW3lL4cOk

Report to moderator   Logged
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:45 PM »

I seem to recall that Spike Happy was the third-best in that crop.   But that was a VERY distant third...

That first MHF crop only numbered 53 and aside from the two fillies there wasnít a whole lot there: Besta Fella, Big A, Spike Happy. Oil Burner came along the following year.

By 1977 his foal count hit 177.
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2013, 10:08:33 PM »

That first MHF crop only numbered 53 and aside from the two fillies there wasnít a whole lot there: Besta Fella, Big A, Spike Happy. Oil Burner came along the following year.

By 1977 his foal count hit 177.

Most Happy Fella~~Besta Bruster~~~~Fee $4500
                             Besta Fella

I trust no one, not even myself~~
Jeepers

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:35 AM »

Seatrainís Jug win:
Webster took him out in 28; middle half in 1:03.3; home in 28.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-htW3lL4cOk

Before my time, but I love how Roger Huston (that's him, isn't it?) actually SANG the race call, going up in key at every point of call.
meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »

didn"t see anything about Silk Stockings foal who set the worlds record on a halfmile track in 82...nice lil hoss with 3 white socks and a big blaze...
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2013, 10:48:37 AM »

didn"t see anything about Silk Stockings foal who set the worlds record on a halfmile track in 82...nice lil hoss with 3 white socks and a big blaze...

Itís interesting that Temujin was the birth name of Genghis Khan, and Skipperís Genghis Khan, out of the outstanding little race mare, Robin Dundee, had four white feet and a white stripe on his face. Genghis Khan was three the year Temujin was born.

Race Time and Silky were both on the small side so it's no surprise that Temujin wasn't very big.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:52:01 AM by Slim Russ » Report to moderator   Logged
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »

Happy Motoring    Ricci Renee Time  Walton Hanover

meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »

Itís interesting that Temujin was the birth name of Genghis Khan, and Skipperís Genghis Khan, out of the outstanding little race mare, Robin Dundee, had four white feet and a white stripe on his face. Genghis Khan was three the year Temujin was born.

Race Time and Silky were both on the small side so it's no surprise that Temujin wasn't very big.
Genghis Khan...1:51.4 ? worlds record for a race at the time and was broke by Trenton in Springfield at 1:51.3.....1982
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:41:56 PM by meadowskipper » Report to moderator   Logged
Wink Martingale

"They gave me a hat. I have the hat to this day."

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2013, 12:47:25 PM »

Pius... for shame!  Ricci Reenie Time was great as a baby, but a major bust as an older horse, no?

Wink

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »

Genghis Khan...1:51.4 ? worlds record for a race at the time and was broke by Trenton in Springfield at 1:51.3.....1982

Didnít that 1:51.3 mark stand up as the fastest by a son of M Skipper? Donít Dally went the same, I believe.

That was a strange year. Several outstanding colts, but Merger, who didnít win anything else of note that year, won the Jug as the odds on choice, and Hilarion, who didnít win anything else of any significance either, won the Pace. Trenton didnít win anything. McKinzie Almahurst won the Holmes.

No Nukes was on the margins, and although Cam Fella won the Cane and Messenger, he kind of was too: knocked out of the Pace in his elimination and not eligible to the Jug.
meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »

Didnít that 1:51.3 mark stand up as the fastest by a son of M Skipper? Donít Dally went the same, I believe.

That was a strange year. Several outstanding colts, but Merger, who didnít win anything else of note that year, won the Jug as the odds on choice, and Hilarion, who didnít win anything else of any significance either, won the Pace. Trenton didnít win anything. McKinzie Almahurst won the Holmes.

No Nukes was on the margins, and although Cam Fella won the Cane and Messenger, he kind of was too: knocked out of the Pace in his elimination and not eligible to the Jug.

yes he is the fastest son of MS and Dont Dally the fastest daughter with the same record and the same year I believe ?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:52:47 PM by meadowskipper » Report to moderator   Logged
GeorgeB

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »

Nobody remembers Storm Damage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yffKYTGHE8o

He was pretty good.....chasing home the G.O.A.T here.
meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »

TRIM THE TREE....

TRIM THE TREE AND TIME TO CASH,,,HAD A GREAT...FIRST EVER WINDY CITY PACE

TONY SALVARO ,,MADE A GREAT RACE  CALL    IN THE RAIN AND SLOP,,

ONE OF MY TOP 5 RACES OF ALL TIME

CAN SOMEONE FIND THAT RACE PUT IT UP PLS,,,

I believe Trim The Tree won the KY Pacing Derby in Louisville in world record time ?
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »

Nobody remembers Storm Damage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yffKYTGHE8o

He was pretty good.....chasing home the G.O.A.T here.

Saw him win a baby stake at the Meadows. 

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
Pius soho

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »

Columbia George

Harness Museum
Racing, Will we still be attending?

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2013, 02:22:11 PM »

Pius... for shame!  Ricci Reenie Time was great as a baby, but a major bust as an older horse, no?

Wink

Ricci could pace a faster 1/8th than anyone.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »

Columbia George

There have been many years when two horses in a particular class have gone back and forth beating each other, leaving the horsemen and fans to argue their respective merits and decide who was best. These can be of either gender or gait and any age.

A good example would be  Most Happy Fella and Columbia George, both of whom were pushed to the background by Truluck as two-year-olds, but came on to shine at three. On the surface it might seem that MHF easily outdid George, as he won the pacing triple crown, but he only had about $20,000 more in lifetime earnings than the latter, and when they went up against each other most observers tended to favor George who looked the part over the crooked gaited Meadow Skipper colt.

The fact that MHF had Dancer sitting behind him as opposed to Roland Beaulieu worked to his advantage throughout the rivalry. MHF beat George at Blue Bonnets in June when Beaulieu had to check his colt allowing MHF and Truluck to get away from him.

Next up was the Commodore at Roosevelt in which odds-on favorite Columbia George easily beat MHF and Truluck. Most considered George to be the class of the division. He reinforced that belief by setting track records three weeks in a row: :57.4 at Greenwood, :56.2 at Vernon Downs and :58.1 at Monticello. George paid $3.40 in the Commodore. Truluck came second and MHF fourth.

They each won a heat at the Adios, but MHF won the race-off. Again, bettors favored George who went off at 2-5, while his rival was 4-5.

Coming into the Westchester Pace  in mid-August at Yonkers, MHF held a 4-3 advantage over George for the year, but the latter was installed as the 6-5 morning line favorite, while MHF was second choice at 8-5. MHF beat the favored George by a half-length in 1:59.

Del Insko was pretty much the only horseman who favored MHF over George in the Caneómost thought it would be no contest. Once again, Dancerís colt beat the favored George. And once again Beaulieu had to check his colt for some unknown reason.

Columbia George beat MHF in a preliminary leg of the Jug, but lost by a neck in the third heat final. MHF, who had been syndicated for $1 million prior to the race, went on to win the Messenger, then headed for California before retiring to Blue Chip, while George retired out of the Messenger and went to Hanover. It was no contest after that.

MHF beats Columbia George in the 1970 Cane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI-CwxINg4

meadowskipper

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »

Columbia George
(/quote)    Roland and Blonde sold the bar on the corner of Maine and Mason in Brunswick Maine and headed to Harrisburg where they bought Columbia George and the rest is history....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:42:28 PM by meadowskipper » Report to moderator   Logged
Harness1

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2013, 11:25:58 PM »

Great group that year ....Walt Hanover, Lon Todd Hanover and when sound Kelly Lobell also that group ....
Mckinzie Almahurst also won James B. Dancer in straight heats at Freehold for Billy Haughton....I was there thay day, Mckinzie closed 3rd over win elim.  Than on the engine in the final...When racing was great ---Heats and no nonsense, they let horses in finals now without racing in elims ....Geez.....Ridiculous...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:28:44 PM by Harness1 » Report to moderator   Logged
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2013, 04:02:53 PM »

Face it... when it came trottin' mares, there was Little Nadine... and then there was, well... everyone else.

--Winston Churchill
Harness Museum
Racing, Will we still be attending?

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »

Hambletonian - Heard first hand that Russ Renton jogged him in 1891.
HHTremor

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2013, 08:59:28 PM »

I was always a fan of Fan Hanover. She was a very tough horse !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ02VZ5wM5s

checkbook

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »

Lionel Minbar winning trotter for Bill O'Donnell, what about this horsew? Any body remember him?
Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2013, 07:03:48 AM »

Wink
A-3, B-1 maybe A-2 on his best day.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: