Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 25, 2014, 03:01:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GREAT HORSES THAT WE FORGET ABOUT  (Read 4101 times)
APPRENTICE

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »

SHE HAD GREAT BATTLES WITH DESPERATE LADY

YEP...TWO NICE FILLIES
Report to moderator   Logged
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »

WHIZZER R WHITE ANOTHER GREAT ILL BRED
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »

WHY BILL, GUTS, LOTTA SOUL, APRILS SKIPPER, ODDS AGAINST all tough raceway horses

Guts vs. OTRA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DO0MLIOtT8

Guts comes from way off to get second in the Pace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI2rK7T3bVo

Wink Martingale

"They gave me a hat. I have the hat to this day."

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2013, 06:38:05 PM »

Sumter Victory, a hoppled trotter when such things were almost nonexistent, driven by 216-year-old Fred Spencer.  Rotten-gaited but would occasionally stay flat and pay telephone numbers, Spencer not exactly being a money magnet.  JFA/AA type at his best.

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
Penny Y

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »

I'm glad Song Cycle was mentioned. As for other Chicago race horses, I, of course, would vote for my horse, Dashing Diplomat, p,4,1:49,1. Dash is at stud now. With the condition of Illinois racing, he's had few chances in the breeding shed. So far, his filly Dashing Majorette and colt, Whilwindiplomacy, have been doing quite nicely.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2013, 07:49:56 PM »

Sumter Victory, a hoppled trotter when such things were almost nonexistent, driven by 216-year-old Fred Spencer.  Rotten-gaited but would occasionally stay flat and pay telephone numbers, Spencer not exactly being a money magnet.  JFA/AA type at his best.

216-years-old was what it seemed like. Actually he was in his early sixties when Sumter Victory was racing in New York in the mid-seventies…..Spencer, who was born in England, raced the Fair circuit for quite a while before hitting the pari-mutuel tracks. He was a tool and die maker at Grummond for years and he said that skill helped him rig a trotter…..One horse Freddy….. He Didn’t like to exert himself too much so he liked to have one horse racing at a time. He’d race Sumter Victory in the winter and Nomad Hanover or Mighty O’Brien the rest of the year. He never had more than three horses in his stable…..A friend owned a good Harold J pacer named General Sumter and his name keeps popping into my head.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »

I'm glad Song Cycle was mentioned. As for other Chicago race horses, I, of course, would vote for my horse, Dashing Diplomat, p,4,1:49,1. Dash is at stud now. With the condition of Illinois racing, he's had few chances in the breeding shed. So far, his filly Dashing Majorette and colt, Whilwindiplomacy, have been doing quite nicely.

Near the end of April in 1968, the first edition of the Dan Patch Pace was held at Yonkers Raceway, with the object being to determine which American horses would represent the US in the Yonkers International Pace. Adios Vic, with Jim Dennis, was the 1-2 favorite, and he took back at the start, as usual. Billy Shuter left from the 4-post and parked Eddie Cobb and Honest Story past the quarter in :29.3. Cobb took the field to the half in 1:00.3, at which point Jimmy Cruise took Frank T Ace first over, with Adios Vic right behind him. Vic swept around Frank T Ace and appeared to be on his way to victory when he broke stride approaching the wire. That left Song Cycle to battle Honest Story for the win. Song Cycle got up by a head and paid $85, something that was unlikely to happen in his hometown of Chicago.
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »

I believe General Sumter was owned by Otto Sunder at some point.

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2013, 09:18:27 PM »

I believe General Sumter was owned by Otto Sunder at some point.

Kenny Weinbaum also owned him at one point.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2013, 11:17:51 AM »

This is Tarport Hap’s TR performance in the 1976 US Pacing Championship. She wired the field. The race itself is short on drama, save for the quick pace, but the cast of characters is interesting.

The MHF mare won in :57, which in addition to breaking the TR, established a WR for a pacing mare on a half. A month earlier TH had established a new WR for a mare over a 5/8 track at Blue Bonnets.

Roosevelt paid John Chapman a $1,500 bonus for breaking the TR which had been shared by Adios Butler, BBB, Sir Dalrae and Mirror Image. He would have gotten a $5,000 bonus if he broke the :55.3 WR Albatross set at Delaware.
Keystone Accent finished second, followed by Rambling Willie. The rest of the field consisted of Handle With Care, Andy Lobell, Shirley’s Beau, Nickawampus Leroy, Momentum and Fly Fly Solly. Tarport Hap became the second pacing mare to pass the $500K mark in this race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIie9ac0b58

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:20:30 AM by Slim Russ » Report to moderator   Logged
mitcky

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »

This is Tarport Hap’s TR performance in the 1976 US Pacing Championship. She wired the field. The race itself is short on drama, save for the quick pace, but the cast of characters is interesting.

The MHF mare won in :57, which in addition to breaking the TR, established a WR for a pacing mare on a half. A month earlier TH had established a new WR for a mare over a 5/8 track at Blue Bonnets.

Roosevelt paid John Chapman a $1,500 bonus for breaking the TR which had been shared by Adios Butler, BBB, Sir Dalrae and Mirror Image. He would have gotten a $5,000 bonus if he broke the :55.3 WR Albatross set at Delaware.
Keystone Accent finished second, followed by Rambling Willie. The rest of the field consisted of Handle With Care, Andy Lobell, Shirley’s Beau, Nickawampus Leroy, Momentum and Fly Fly Solly. Tarport Hap became the second pacing mare to pass the $500K mark in this race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIie9ac0b58

As I said before, Silk Stockings was one of my favorites. Do you know her career stats? She raced against Tarport Hap almost weekly.

Thanks
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2013, 11:37:58 AM »

Near the end of April in 1968, the first edition of the Dan Patch Pace was held at Yonkers Raceway, with the object being to determine which American horses would represent the US in the Yonkers International Pace. Adios Vic, with Jim Dennis, was the 1-2 favorite, and he took back at the start, as usual. Billy Shuter left from the 4-post and parked Eddie Cobb and Honest Story past the quarter in :29.3. Cobb took the field to the half in 1:00.3, at which point Jimmy Cruise took Frank T Ace first over, with Adios Vic right behind him. Vic swept around Frank T Ace and appeared to be on his way to victory when he broke stride approaching the wire. That left Song Cycle to battle Honest Story for the win. Song Cycle got up by a head and paid $85, something that was unlikely to happen in his hometown of Chicago.

I remember one particular race at Yonkers when I was lucky to cash a win ticket on Adios Vic at 5-1.  Vic was a big track horse who was not fond of half mile track turns.  Now back in those days, there was a huge class difference between JFA and FFA.  Orbiter N was the king of JFA, but went off at a whopping 99-1 facing the FFAs.  Insko grabbed the pocket at Yonkers with Orbiter and Adios Vic was in the 3-hole.  If it was a mile track, Dennis could come first over and jog, but on the half-mile track, he correctly sat in -- hoping to get luck in the stretch instead of risk breaking.

I believe that was a mile and a sixteenth race and it was Romeo Hanover with Sholty a setting a torrid pace.

Orbiter N gets loose late and looks like he would light up the board at 99-1 when Adios Vic got loose extremely late (seemed waaaayyyy too late) and was a blur flying at the wire and getting up just in time.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »

As I said before, Silk Stockings was one of my favorites. Do you know her career stats? She raced against Tarport Hap almost weekly.

Thanks

Early in their careers, Silk Stocking was much the better filly.  But as they got older, Tarport Hap was much the better mare.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »

I remember one particular race at Yonkers when I was lucky to cash a win ticket on Adios Vic at 5-1.  Vic was a big track horse who was not fond of half mile track turns.  Now back in those days, there was a huge class difference between JFA and FFA.  Orbiter N was the king of JFA, but went off at a whopping 99-1 facing the FFAs.  Insko grabbed the pocket at Yonkers with Orbiter and Adios Vic was in the 3-hole.  If it was a mile track, Dennis could come first over and jog, but on the half-mile track, he correctly sat in -- hoping to get luck in the stretch instead of risk breaking.

I believe that was a mile and a sixteenth race and it was Romeo Hanover with Sholty a setting a torrid pace.

Orbiter N gets loose late and looks like he would light up the board at 99-1 when Adios Vic got loose extremely late (seemed waaaayyyy too late) and was a blur flying at the wire and getting up just in time.

Yeah, that was the 1967 Good Time at YR—mile and a quarter. Vic ended Romeo’s 21-race win streak that night. Romeo and Sholty had to overcome the 8-post. Orbiter carried Romeo at the start and then True Duane took a shot at him. Cardy was also in that race. They made Sholty hit the quarter in under 2:00 and he still had a quarter to go.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »

Thanks

Silky won 30 of 52 starts and earned about 695K while Tarport Hap won 35 of 68 starts and earned almost 689K.

They split their 20 face-offs right down the middle.
mitcky

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:41 PM »

Silky won 30 of 52 starts and earned about 695K while Tarport Hap won 35 of 68 starts and earned almost 689K.

They split their 20 face-offs right down the middle.

Wow, that's amazing. Thanks!
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »

Wow, that's amazing. Thanks!
Raced against both of them in 3yr old NYSS~~Not a good year for Colts with them two around! trotter

I trust no one, not even myself~~
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2013, 08:30:51 PM »

I seem to recall that Spike Happy was the third-best in that crop.   But that was a VERY distant third...

--Winston Churchill
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:46 PM »

I seem to recall that Spike Happy was the third-best in that crop.   But that was a VERY distant third...
How About Seatrain  dollar dollar

Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »

He was a year later.

--Winston Churchill
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2013, 09:10:16 PM »

He was a year later.
Same year ~~both 72 foals

orioles

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »

Panic Attack
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: February 20, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »

Same year ~~both 72 foals

You're right, Vegas... I forget Seatrain didn't race at 2.  Broke in his first start at 3, also.  THEN it all came together for him/

Who was the filly you had in the Silk/Hap crop?  Feel free to PM.

--Winston Churchill
Vegas

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36:25 PM »

You're right, Vegas... I forget Seatrain didn't race at 2.  Broke in his first start at 3, also.  THEN it all came together for him/

Who was the filly you had in the Silk/Hap crop?  Feel free to PM.
Didn't have a filly~~Had a MHF colt who was a step below the top stuff~~Raced against both in the Syracuse mile,"NYSS". Finished 9th with S.Dancer driving!

Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »

PM me the name, if you would.  '74/'75 were great harness racing years for me...

--Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: