Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 19, 2014, 08:58:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GREAT HORSES THAT WE FORGET ABOUT  (Read 3907 times)
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »

only two harness horses have ever been on the cover of sports illustrated. one is stanley dancer and nevele pride. who is this other, very fast horse but yet to be mentioned here in this thread?
Report to moderator   Logged
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2013, 01:42:07 PM »

only two harness horses have ever been on the cover of sports illustrated. one is stanley dancer and nevele pride. who is this other, very fast horse but yet to be mentioned here in this thread?

I had this question asked once before so I know it is Adios Harry.  But I've never known anyone else who knew that answer.

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »

I had this question asked once before so I know it is Adios Harry.  But I've never known anyone else who knew that answer.
here's the cover  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/featured/7471/index.htm
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »

Every once in a blue moon someone asks a trivia question that you've already covered.  To tell you the truth, I'd rather have won a lottery than stumbled into your question!

We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.  When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never get back.
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »

here's a few more that might not be great but pretty good.

dancer george

starred by bret

el patron

le baron rouge

windy way

bc count

able mission

rowdy yankee

kading

ima lula ...
Wink Martingale

"They gave me a hat. I have the hat to this day."

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2013, 05:38:59 PM »

Is there some point to simply listing NAMES? 

First off, if you can list the names, they're not horses that you forgot about.  But I suspect many people may look at these lists blankly.  Royal Count N, Lillian Greene and Myakka Prince (last two owned by the same person, if I recall correctly) had many interesting attributes. Why not share?

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »

Is there some point to simply listing NAMES? 

First off, if you can list the names, they're not horses that you forgot about.  But I suspect many people may look at these lists blankly.  Royal Count N, Lillian Greene and Myakka Prince (last two owned by the same person, if I recall correctly) had many interesting attributes. Why not share?

heres your chance. lets hear about some of these attributes
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »

Royal Count N was owned by a group of guys (WPC) one of whom (Weiser?) was known as The Buffalo. He did look like a buffalo; he had a younger brother who was known as The Bison.  He was a FFA/JFA beast, as many of the NZ horses were back then.  He disappeared from competition for well over a year, and we were left with his feeble half-brother, Irton Prince, who was a cheap-speed 10 claimer notable only for the fact that Buddy Regan occasionally drove him.  Royal Count N had a second life and made a comeback in 1976 or thereabouts, and it was like he'd never been away.

Lillian Greene was a tough racemare whom I believe was owned by George Campos of the Bronx, who also owned Myakka Prince, who raced at the FFA level for some years in the mid-70's in NY.  If I am not mistaken, Campos was the dad (uncle?) of Jimmy Marohn's first wife, Cecelia.  Marohn drove Myakka Prince a number of times, though late in the horse's career.  MP was one of the very few horses I've seen win coming from like 4th-over from the 8-hole at Yonkers.  I have some ancient program which shows his first few races, I think he started out in NW of 14 cents at Northfield and was then brought to the big time. 

Tsalright?

"Some people like Jews and some do not; but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable and the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world."

--Winston Churchill
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »

super good stuff. i remember Myakka Prince at hollywood park in the fall.  Very good horse. Eddie wheeler drove him out there.
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »

I believe Lillian Greene's first foal was named Cecelia's Dream... I think she was about B-3 here. 

--Winston Churchill
swoopdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:07 PM »

I believe Lillian Greene's first foal was named Cecelia's Dream... I think she was about B-3 here. 
probably why nobody mentioned her attributes on this thread. 
Wink Martingale

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »

She had her own moment in the sun, but it didn't come on this continent.

--Winston Churchill
mitcky

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2013, 09:30:01 PM »

I go back just a little further than most of you, but are a few of my favorites:

1-Silk Stockings-always lover her breeding and her battles with Tarport Hap were great
2-Bossman Lobell- Very similar to Nick Leroy, loved to close with Ben Webster
3-Billy Joe Byrd-Sholty trainee that loved to close as well
4-Strike Out-I would go to Liberty bell to watch him
5-Isle of Wight-someone mentioned him earlier, but he was dead game and the family is great

Can't leave Cam Fella, Abercrombie off these lists either!
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2013, 11:52:40 PM »

Isle Of Wight was tough. He beat Albatross three times in a row in March of 1972. First in an invitational at Liberty Bell for Vern Crank, then in the Provincial Cup at Windsor for Herve, and finally in the Clark at LB for Crank. Albatross was just starting his season and all the ownership turmoil as well as Dancer’s serious back condition were casting a black cloud over that horse.

Isle Of Wight had already had a good month of racing in February. Herve won the Hi Lo’s Forbes Pace with him at Roosevelt early in the month. Miss Conna Adios, who was second in the LB invitational, made the mile for Eddie Davis in the Forbes. The NZ import, James, was second and Canny Choice third. Isle Of Wight won the open handicap the next week and the following week he beat Canny Choice and James from the outside. It was blowing and snowing so hard that they cancelled the rest of the card.

The following year, 1973, he was beating horses like El Patron and Myakka Prince early in the year for Vern Crank. He won the Provincial Cup again that year.

Isle of Wight had missed a full year of racing a couple of years prior to that. When he returned to the track after missing that year, his connections had very modest expectations for him: five or six starts at Dover Downs was the plan. His first start was against NW6K for a purse of $1,350, which he won in for Robert Meyers. The next week Choctaw caught him at the wire for $1,800. Then he won six in a row, and he was on his way to starting 46 times. He was the classic FFA horse in that he could take a lot of air and still close a ton to beat top horses. The size and configuration of the track, the weather, post position, racing luck—nothing eliminated him from consideration.
Dolfan

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »

I was just getting into the game when Vernon Crank had Town Drunk.  I have no attributes for him other than Stan Bergstein used to talk about him when I was 14!

Jeepers

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2013, 03:13:05 AM »

How about horses owned by celebrity sportsmen such as Arnold Palmer and George Foreman, or celebrities in general? Any notables?

mitcky

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2013, 06:47:30 AM »

Isle Of Wight was tough. He beat Albatross three times in a row in March of 1972. First in an invitational at Liberty Bell for Vern Crank, then in the Provincial Cup at Windsor for Herve, and finally in the Clark at LB for Crank. Albatross was just starting his season and all the ownership turmoil as well as Dancer’s serious back condition were casting a black cloud over that horse.

Isle Of Wight had already had a good month of racing in February. Herve won the Hi Lo’s Forbes Pace with him at Roosevelt early in the month. Miss Conna Adios, who was second in the LB invitational, made the mile for Eddie Davis in the Forbes. The NZ import, James, was second and Canny Choice third. Isle Of Wight won the open handicap the next week and the following week he beat Canny Choice and James from the outside. It was blowing and snowing so hard that they cancelled the rest of the card.

The following year, 1973, he was beating horses like El Patron and Myakka Prince early in the year for Vern Crank. He won the Provincial Cup again that year.

Isle of Wight had missed a full year of racing a couple of years prior to that. When he returned to the track after missing that year, his connections had very modest expectations for him: five or six starts at Dover Downs was the plan. His first start was against NW6K for a purse of $1,350, which he won in for Robert Meyers. The next week Choctaw caught him at the wire for $1,800. Then he won six in a row, and he was on his way to starting 46 times. He was the classic FFA horse in that he could take a lot of air and still close a ton to beat top horses. The size and configuration of the track, the weather, post position, racing luck—nothing eliminated him from consideration.

That's a great post! Did you do that from memory? Impressive either way.
Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2013, 08:04:52 AM »

How about horses owned by celebrity sportsmen such as Arnold Palmer and George Foreman, or celebrities in general? Any notables?

Mr. AAA......Mickey Rooney
Rivaltime....Wilt Chamberlain
Sam R

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2013, 08:09:02 AM »

Royal Count N was owned by a group of guys (WPC) one of whom (Weiser?) was known as The Buffalo. He did look like a buffalo; he had a younger brother who was known as The Bison.  He was a FFA/JFA beast, as many of the NZ horses were back then.  He disappeared from competition for well over a year, and we were left with his feeble half-brother, Irton Prince, who was a cheap-speed 10 claimer notable only for the fact that Buddy Regan occasionally drove him.  Royal Count N had a second life and made a comeback in 1976 or thereabouts, and it was like he'd never been away.

Lillian Greene was a tough racemare whom I believe was owned by George Campos of the Bronx, who also owned Myakka Prince, who raced at the FFA level for some years in the mid-70's in NY.  If I am not mistaken, Campos was the dad (uncle?) of Jimmy Marohn's first wife, Cecelia.  Marohn drove Myakka Prince a number of times, though late in the horse's career.  MP was one of the very few horses I've seen win coming from like 4th-over from the 8-hole at Yonkers.  I have some ancient program which shows his first few races, I think he started out in NW of 14 cents at Northfield and was then brought to the big time.  

Tsalright?
Harvey Weiser ended up a teller in OTB until they were shut down. His brother Cigar Red died a few years ago.
   Campos was a front man.
The C in WPC was Michael Cantor, brother of the trainer of Royal Count, Allan Cantor.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:11:40 AM by Sam R » Report to moderator   Logged
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »

Arnold Palmer and Whitey Ford owned horses with Del Miller. In 1972 the trio paid $3,700 for the Hickory Smoke trotter, Spitfire Hanover. He won the Yonkers Trot for Miller and went on to earn $200K. They sold him to an Italian Count for $200K in the summer of his sophomore season.

Spitfire was half to Quick Pay who won the Ky Futurity for Peter Haughton. He was also half to the dam of Gleam, who won the Oaks, WTD, BC and Bluegrass. And he was half to the dam of BC winner, Armbro Prowess.

Miller and Palmer owned a number of horses, one being the trotter, Deke Palmer, who was named after the golfer’s father. He raced at Pompano.

Miller also owned Delmonica Hanover with the prominent t-bred owner, Arnold Hanger. She was a $4,500 yearling, and earned more than $800K. They sold her for $300K when her racing days were over. Nobody can say Miller didn’t make money for people.
Psycho Dad

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »

Tarquinius

Classical Way

Dorunrun Bluegrass

Galleria

Best Of All

Keystone Ore

Tarquinius window of greatness was short.  But when he was at the top of his game, he was one of the all time greatest.
Slim Russ

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »

Tarquinius window of greatness was short.  But when he was at the top of his game, he was one of the all time greatest.

Tarquinius came out of nowhere—Vernon Downs—and worked his way up to Aged Pacer of the Year in 1964….. One of the greatest sons of Tar Heel…… Big and black.. …..Tendon tears as a three-year-old that would have ended most careers…Beat Henry T, Irvin Paul and Stephan Smith in :58 at Hollywood Park, at 20/1. Beat them again out there…..Won the National Pacing Derby at 8/1 at RR from the outside for Sholty. The following week he set a WR in the mile and a half Nassau, this time as the 9/5 favorite……Died from an infection during the off season…..One of the great ones who never got the chance to really establish himself at the top.
kingofcrete

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »

WHY BILL, GUTS, LOTTA SOUL, APRILS SKIPPER, ODDS AGAINST all tough raceway horses
APPRENTICE

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »

DANCING ALMAHURST
MR.DALRAE

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:39 PM »

SHE HAD GREAT BATTLES WITH DESPERATE LADY
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: